Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

ESO will have a box price, subscription AND a cash shop.

boxsndboxsnd Kraxton, ARPosts: 438Member Uncommon

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon

I don't care if they require virgin sacrifice, lol

If the game is good, I'll buy it and sub and play until I'm tired of it (or it goes full-blown F2P).

If I don't like what I see in Open Beta, I won't play it, regardless of the payment model.

• ShaighShaigh Posts: 545Member Uncommon
    8 million still supports box price, subscription and a cash shop.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Parma, OHPosts: 2,404Member

I'm not going to defend it, but I don't know that it's going to be a bit deal.  As long as any play2win items are not sold in the cash shop, I don't really see how it has much of an effect on anything.

I rarely partake in any cash shop.  So it doesn't alter my gameplay.  This is, again, assuming that they stick to cosmetics and basic items that have little value in the actual game world.  So, for instance, if they start asking players to buy inventory space or bank space from the cash shop, that can't be obtained in the game, I'll have to be all up in arms about it like some other people.

Ultimately, I'm reserving judgement until I find out some details. 

And as a little end-note, I think making an announcement like that without calming the rage that is surely to ensue, is either idiotic, or brilliant.  From a marketing standpoint of course.

• RictisRictis UnknownPosts: 1,219Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

If the game is good, I'll buy it and sub and play until I'm tired of it (or it goes full-blown F2P).

If I don't like what I see in Open Beta, I won't play it, regardless of the payment model.

This minus the F2P comment. F2P doesn't ruin games, companies that don't integrate F2P into games correctly do.

• nolic1nolic1 Kingman, AZPosts: 687Member Uncommon

http://esohub.de/news/154-eso-interview-abomodell-itemshop-entwicklung%5B1%5D

If you watch the video he states there will be all 3 box + sub + cash shop. Now he does say the shop will have things like name changes and what not but that does not mean they wont put in things like mounts and cosmetic equipment later or even EXP pots and what not. But hey its not my choice on what they do they can have it anyway they want.

To me I enjoy gaming I dont play to be uber I play to have fun. If a game is not fun to me guess what I move on and play something else till I find one that is. When I find that great game and not sure if in my life time there will be one I hope it has everything I want in an mmo.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko RotterdamPosts: 3,845Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

This minus the F2P comment. F2P doesn't ruin games, companies that don't integrate F2P into games correctly do.

My F2P comment was because I don't expect them to implement a CS that I will be able to live with. I've only seen one of those, and that was during the first 6 months of TSW.

• natpicknatpick stockton/ u.kPosts: 143Member Uncommon
    why would you think the fans of eso would need to defend anything its a business decision made by a compnay you know like trying to make money,if the fans buy it and enjoy it everyone goes home happy,strange mindset by some people these days.

• DalanonDalanon Warren, OHPosts: 124Member

What is there to defend?  Holy crap they want you to pay for the product they've spent hundreds of millions of dollars making, (gasp).  Wait there is more, they want a subscription to pay for the development costs of new content and to keep the servers running with good bandwidth!  When did every game on the planet have to use free to play just so a bunch of freeloaders still living with their parents could afford to play it?  If you buy one DVD a month, buy a take out dinner for 2, or smoke like 3 packs of cigs in a month, you already spend that much money, and got maybe a couple hours of value compared to the unlimited time you can enjoy playing a good mmo.

In most cases free to play isn't actually free, and even if it is, there isn't the amount of content a subscription based game can push out because they can actually pay developers to make content for it.  Guess what, FF14, Wildstar, and ESO all saying they are subscription recently because they know its the best way to make a quality product that actually has a chance of succeeding long term. 

Not all who wander are lost...

• IselinIselin Vancouver, BCPosts: 5,610Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by boxsnd

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1kvwop/so_elder_scrolls_online_has_a_sub_fee_and_a_cash/

Let's see the fans defend this one.

So that's how the forums here work...it's all attack and defend. All this time I've been doing it wrong. Thanks for clearing that up image

• asrlohzasrlohz UddevallaPosts: 645Member

He never claimed that they would have a cash shop. He said there would be "Fun stuff and services too". Question is, what is "Fun stuff"? Because name changes, physical security keys and such isn't really anything but standard. The "Fun Stuff" might refer to physical merchandise.

We should confront them, asking them in their AuA if they meant it as in an ingame cash shop with vanity items, not take it out of context.

• coretex666coretex666 PraguePosts: 1,934Member Uncommon

So that it is going to use the same revenue channels as the most successful MMO in the history?

Outrage!!!

Waiting for L2 EU Classic

• KuraphimaruKuraphimaru Mississauga, ONPosts: 1,290Member Uncommon

I don't speak German, and I take whatever is posted on reddit with a grain of salt. Thus, until I see an English speaking ESO mouthpiece confirm this news in English language, I won't take this news seriously. Why, well one look at GW2's 2.5 Million Active Users Per Week thread should shed plenty of light on effects of mistranslation and misunderstanding of other languages. However, if it does turn out to be true then it would be my queue to say efff you ESO.

• RictisRictis UnknownPosts: 1,219Member Uncommon

My F2P comment was because I don't expect them to implement a CS that I will be able to live with. I've only seen one of those, and that was during the first 6 months of TSW.

CS are great for aesthetics imo and some once in a while treats like illusions fast travel etc. 

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Route 69, NDPosts: 276Member

CS are great for aesthetics imo and some once in a while treats like illusions fast travel etc. 

I kind of expect P2W at this point.  If they are so damn greedy that they will charge a sub for a B2P game, then they will likely try to milk even more money from us via P2W.

• BadaboomBadaboom Moose Jaw, SKPosts: 2,380Member
    If you don't like the model, vote with your wallet.  Don't buy it and bitch on a forum. 
  • XthosXthos Columbus, OHPosts: 2,628Member
    Originally posted by boxsnd

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1kvwop/so_elder_scrolls_online_has_a_sub_fee_and_a_cash/

Let's see the fans defend this one.

This isn't on my radar, haven't really looked at it and such, but if the cash shop is cosmetic and name changes and such, then I wouldn't care if I was playing it.....It is when a P2P runs a cash shop that is like a f2p game that is a problem for me.  I will take P2P with cosmetic over a f2p mmo any day, if they had equal play.

• YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member

Yep, sub based MMOs are dead. It is either F2P+cash shop or double-dip, meaning P2P+cash shop.

Now why would I pay for a sub if they have a cash shop as well?

• zevni78zevni78 grimsbyPosts: 1,133Member Uncommon

This isn't just any mmo charging like this, its one that comes out on XB1 and PS4, building on a B2P product. The shop won't be the problem, the sub will.

A sub would make more sense in ANY other mmo coming out, FF:XIV has XI as a precedence, Wildstar has major endgame for PVE and PVP, EQN has vast potential for player made content, Archeage has its sandbox pvp, but TESO? I keep waiting for Zenimax to make a decision I can understand... still waiting. 

• TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,205Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Yamota

Yep, sub based MMOs are dead. It is either F2P+cash shop or double-dip, meaning P2P+cash shop.

Now why would I pay for a sub if they have a cash shop as well?

This is exactly the point.  What boggles me is the double speak he used in this GameStar.de interview where he explains they chose P2P because they didn't want to lock or gate any content behind a paywall like in F2P games.  So was he just blowing smoke?

He said:

Charging a flat monthly (or subscription) fee means that we will offer players the game we set out to make, and the one that fans want to play. Going with any other model meant that we would have to make sacrifices and changes we weren't willing to make.

and then goes on to say:

If you want to continue playing for hundreds of hours more after that first month you'll pay a flat fee for continued, unlimited access to the game.

We'll talk about further discounts, etc. later, but for now, we are very happy to finally announce our model. It's very simple - you pay once per month after the first 30 days and the entire game is available to you.

and then follows the thought up with this:

The Elder Scrolls games are all about allowing the player to go where they want, be who they want, and do what they want. We feel that putting pay gates between the player and content at any point in game ruins that feeling of freedom, and just having one small monthly fee for 100% access to the game fits the IP and the game much better than a system where you have to pay for features and access as you play.

In the linked interview (you have to follow links through reddit to the original source)  link here

Here says this:

Matt Firor: We will introduce no bonus points or the like, but a shop for fun items and services, such as character name change. But that is not part of the basic game. All the basic contents of The Elder Scrolls Online are included in the subscription.

The keyphrase here is "basic game".  The basic game will be covered by the subscription, the rest, who knows.  There will certainly be a cash shop.  He doesn't care about the integrity of the game experience.  He doesn't care about gamers.  He is going for the money grab and that is the bottom line.  Not to mention he is disingenuous at best.

So do you get the game for the sub?  Rift and Tera both offer the entire game experience for no money.  You don't have to pay in order to create a class, see every part of the game including every dungeon and raid, or to reach max level.

Really why would anyone pay for a sub plus a cash shop plus DLC fees (box fees and xpac fees).  The P2P proponents usually argue from the position of cash shop inclusion, so that can't be it in this case.  It has to be exclusivity and self-validation by belonging to an exclusive club.  We're sort of drawn to that kind of thing (cliques and exclusive clubs that make us feel like we're more special than everyone else). So is that the real draw of P2P?

In the end the only conclusion I can come to is that Firor is going for a cash grab by exploiting P2P vets looking for a nostalgic old school game experience.  Once that dwindles he'll sellout faster than Metallica and the Black Album (hey I stole that idea from another thread) and go bastardized hybrid of some sort.

edit: The articles are in German.  Google Chrome will translate the pages for you into your preferred language.

Originally posted by coretex666

So that it is going to use the same revenue channels as the most successful MMO in the history?

Outrage!!!

How well has that worked out for everyone but the most successful MMO in history.  Fortunately for us, history answers that question for us.

• MibletMiblet BognerPosts: 333Member
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

Outrage!!!

How well has that worked out for everyone but the most successful MMO in history.  Fortunately for us, history answers that question for us.

Almost all profitable (very rare occasions of games not breaking even and making profit in short order).

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Adelaide, AKPosts: 953Member
    Please Nickle & Dime us to death, we love it.
    Originally posted by Miblet

Outrage!!!

Almost all profitable (very rare occasions of games not breaking even and making profit in short order).

Yeah, not so much on the triple dip.  Which games have been very profitable staying subscription with a cash shop and DLC costs (box fees and xpacs).

• MibletMiblet BognerPosts: 333Member
    Originally posted by Miblet

Outrage!!!

Yeah, not so much on the triple dip.  Which games have been very profitable staying subscription with a cash shop and DLC costs (box fees and xpacs).

I concede not so much on the triple dip.  I can only recall one game trying it though in all fairness (WoW).  Subs and expansions (and initial box) are common though and as I said it is a very rare thing on fails to reach profitability.

I think everyone saw this coming though.  When WoW sold the spectral steed for the first time it became obvious it was coming to the P2P titles, the revenue was too high to ignore for the development costs.  Had they not sold so insanely well who knows what would have happened...people may have even recieved the items in game, as before without having to pay for them with a sub and item cost.

• GorweGorwe Ald'RuhnPosts: 2,473Member Uncommon
    Yet another reason why the game should've been B2P.

But Hey! We are talking about Mythic scumbags here. They don't understand a thing, run amok destroying things and just want to rip you off. Come to think, they're not much better than Warhammer Orks :)

It wouldn't surprise me if they tried to sell you access to some portions of game-WAR style. And you are nerf(weak) without the items from those areas.

As the Ferengi saying goes: Greed is eternal!