Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO will have a box price, subscription AND a cash shop.

Comments

• Instigator-JonesInstigator-Jones Member UncommonPosts: 530
    It's the P2P+ model.
  • jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Kayo45
    So basically everyone is panicking because some foreign site interview let slip that theyll have an item shop that includes name changes(?). Translated by google no less. /sigh how about we see wtf they plan to put in this cash shop (other than name changes before we start losing our freakin minds over an ambiguous comment. It may well just be a similar system to which Blizzard has been using for years now.

That said, if its the f2p kind of cash shop then im out as well. Probably the dumbest thing they could do but oh well ... ESO is like 3rd in my list of potential MMOs anyway, and one I planned on waiting a few months to make sure they dont pull he old p2p<>f2p switcheroo a few months down the line.

Yah, you can't trust those foreign sites... I mean they are foreign!  They don't even speak english for crying out loud.

/sarcasm

I give this game 9 months tops under subscription model.

Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    The day Blizzard sold 25 millings opening weekend with that damn sparkle pony mount was the day I knew that cash shops were going to be in every MMO one day. So ESO has picked to P2P + Box price + cash shop. They have to walk a line on what they add to the cash shop. P2P means they better have the content to back up a monthly sub. I have a feeling they are not gona get this right. The more I read about this game the less I am interested. IMO this seem more like a GW2 game. Fun but not a lot of depth. Should have gona B2P with a GW2 style cash shop IMO. Cant wait to see this game go head to head with EQN lol

I think you hit the nail on the head.  The depth of this game seems on par with GW2.

As far as I know they haven't even said the word update, so I really wonder how they are going to justify the subscription model after a couple months.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by boxsnd

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1kvwop/so_elder_scrolls_online_has_a_sub_fee_and_a_cash/

Let's see the fans defend this one.

Completely impossible to say until I know exactly how the game is, and what's in the cash shop. If everything would simply be up to payment model, we all would be playing F2P games only. Though I doubt the game will be worth the full color of payment models...

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1kvwop/so_elder_scrolls_online_has_a_sub_fee_and_a_cash/

You realize the cash shop could only sell services right? "All content comes along with a sub". It would be a problem if not, otherwise who cares? There's no reason to defend anything on a forum. We're just sharing opinions here, why bait others into something more?

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451
    Originally posted by jesusjuice69

As far as I know they haven't even said the word update, so I really wonder how they are going to justify the subscription model after a couple months.

In the German interview, Matt says that launch content is pretty much finished and that the team is now focusing on content for updates after launch.

Originally posted by Stizzled
    Originally posted by Distopia

You realize the cash shop doesn't sell items right?

The cash shop will include "fun items" as well as character services.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/08/22/gamescom-2013-the-elder-scrolls-online-subscription-ensures-pla/

Yeah I changed my post, as I have no idea what fun items means. The important part is that they said, all content comes with a sub.

Fun items could be anything from stupid hats to fireworks.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I think quite a few are missing the OP's observation that we had a lot of posts basically saying F2P is dead and subs are back. However, the reality is that the part of free to play that people didn't like (because I hope it wasn't being upset that it was FREE) was the item mall, and the item mall will be present in these new subscription games.

It's funny, actually, because GW2 added a box price to the item mall game and the anti-free to play crowd cheered. Now devs are adding a box price AND a subscription to the item mall games, and the anti-f2p crowd is cheering even louder.

F2P = full itemshop.

B2P = cosmetic stuff, bankslots and similar

P2P = No itemshop

Anything more suck, I can play either of those free as long as it doesn't get too much pay2win in the F2P game.

But then I am rather consequent with it, far too many people here cheers now but have complained on itemshops in F2P and sometimes even B2P games.

Which subscription MMO doesn't have a cash shop of some kind, and is that the exception or the rule?

WoW used to have an ideal cash shop for the game.  Very minimal.

What do you want to bet ESO won't restrain itself in the same way?

What do I want to bet? Nothing. Subscription MMOs have had them for a decade now. Why would I think they would suddenly not have one?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by Kayo45
    So basically everyone is panicking because some foreign site interview let slip that theyll have an item shop that includes name changes(?). Translated by google no less. /sigh how about we see wtf they plan to put in this cash shop (other than name changes before we start losing our freakin minds over an ambiguous comment. It may well just be a similar system to which Blizzard has been using for years now.

That said, if its the f2p kind of cash shop then im out as well. Probably the dumbest thing they could do but oh well ... ESO is like 3rd in my list of potential MMOs anyway, and one I planned on waiting a few months to make sure they dont pull he old p2p<>f2p switcheroo a few months down the line.

Yah, you can't trust those foreign sites... I mean they are foreign!  They don't even speak english for crying out loud.

/sarcasm

I give this game 9 months tops under subscription model.

The day Blizzard sold 25 millings opening weekend with that damn sparkle pony mount was the day I knew that cash shops were going to be in every MMO one day. So ESO has picked to P2P + Box price + cash shop. They have to walk a line on what they add to the cash shop. P2P means they better have the content to back up a monthly sub. I have a feeling they are not gona get this right. The more I read about this game the less I am interested. IMO this seem more like a GW2 game. Fun but not a lot of depth. Should have gona B2P with a GW2 style cash shop IMO. Cant wait to see this game go head to head with EQN lol

I think you hit the nail on the head.  The depth of this game seems on par with GW2.

Ya not gona try this game till it goes F2P even if I have to wait a year after release.

Yeah I changed my post, as I have no idea what fun items mean. The important part is that they said, all content comes with a sub.

At this point no one knows what they mean by fun items. It mostly likely means quirky little things that no one will really care about or want to buy. But, they've spent the time to develop this shop, and they surely plan on using it, if no one buys the fun items, how long before they begin adding the same kinds of items that F2P games sell?

Who knows?

Yeah I changed my post, as I have no idea what fun items mean. The important part is that they said, all content comes with a sub.

At this point no one knows what they mean by fun items. It mostly likely means quirky little things that no one will really care about or want to buy. But, they've spent the time to develop this shop, and they surely plan on using it, if no one buys the fun items, how long before they begin adding the same kinds of items that F2P games sell?

Here is the irk IMO. Fun items used to be handed out for free to the paying customers. Perks for being loyal. Now they add them to a P2P model and we all go its ok because they are not game breaking. FF14 has really cemented me that P2P models need to give the customer something of value if you go that rout. Every month you are subbed to FF14 you get fun stuff and it gets better each month you are subbed. Also no cash shop =-) So any fun stuff they come up with will be for free =-) handed out in events like the one they will have a week after launch. Free beach ware etc. Customers need to stand up and say no and vote with their money. 

If you are gona have a cash shop, no raids and market your game as a console game. Them make it B2P. If you are going P2P then make that have the value of that model. Sad but gamers are the ones mostly to blame for this, we buy sub par games and then give them extra cash in the cash shop to reward them for it lol. 

• RafadotnechiRafadotnechi Member UncommonPosts: 90

The market price of a "generic" themepark(exept WoW) is not 15USD/mo that's because Rift,AoC,TOR,Lotro etc went F2P and GW2 it's b2p

ESO need to be more than a generic themepark to worth box+sub and a fluff cash shop.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Here is the irk IMO. Fun items used to be handed out for free to the paying customers. Perks for being loyal. Now they add them to a P2P model and we all go its ok because they are not game breaking. FF14 has really cemented me that P2P models need to give the customer something of value if you go that rout. Every month you are subbed to FF14 you get fun stuff and it gets better each month you are subbed. Also no cash shop =-) So any fun stuff they come up with will be for free =-) handed out in events like the one they will have a week after launch. Free beach ware etc. Customers need to stand up and say no and vote with their money. 

If you are gona have a cash shop, no raids and market your game as a console game. Them make it B2P. If you are going P2P then make that have the value of that model. Sad but gamers are the ones mostly to blame for this, we buy sub par games and then give them extra cash in the cash shop to reward them for it lol. 

Rofl... nice that you found a home somewhere Nan. But please, stop the bullshit:

Square Enix cash shop link: You can buy 3 seaparate FF XIV music CDs, a fluffy Chocobo for your desktop: 

http://store.na.square-enix.com/store/sqenixus/DisplayHomePage

I know, I know, nothing you can actually use in game there... they reserved those "in game item" sales for the Collector Edition bundle... so far. But my guess is that if you didn't get the Helm of Light, Couerl Mount, Behemoth Barding and Baby Behemoth Minion, you'll be able to get them eventually...for an "upgrade" price.

Love is blind and all that, but c'mon man, get real.

EDIT: oops, didn't look hard enough. You can already get the digital upgrade to the Collector's edition for $19.99: 

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/product/#ceSpecialAnchor

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• dadante666dadante666 Member UncommonPosts: 402

ESO title.... Meh why not give it  a try....see combat and small world and content....another gw2 tahst kk..............cash shop...meh why not  if is gonna be f2p......Sub........O_O.......... not even gonan try or care anymore.

ps:

is not cause of sub but the game have really low content like gw2 and its made almost identical in content and combatpased ;/ not worth sub imop its like saying to put sub in gw2 ....

Originally posted by Iselin

Rofl... nice that you found a home somewhere Nan. But please, stop the bullshit:

Square Enix cash shop link: You can buy 3 seaparate FF XIV music CDs, a fluffy Chocobo for your desktop: 

I know, I know, nothing you can actually use in game there... they reserved those "in game item" sales for the Collector Edition bundle... so far. But my guess is that if you didn't get the Helm of Light, Couerl Mount, Behemoth Barding and Baby Behemoth Minion, you'll be able to get them eventually...for an "upgrade" price.

EDIT: oops, didn't look hard enough. You can already get the digital upgrade to the Collector's edition for $19.99: 

You know you are stretching and I do like you so I will chuck you a bone. You can buy 1 set of digital items from the collectors edition =-) Go read up on SE stand on cash shops and also read up on the free digital items they are giving away, monthly and in events. Pick a model and do it justice. You want Box price + P2P then drop this cash shop crap for fun stuff and reward your customers for it. I know I am asking a lot as Cash shops are popping up everywhere. Does not mean as a customer I cant call them out on this crap. If you want a cash shop then go B2P like GW2. Time people voted with their money. Its not bullshit as you say... people should be sick of being walked on. I play GW2 because they are fair with their payment model. I will play FF14 because they are again being true and fair to their customers with the payment model. Not saying ESO does not have a place in the market, Im just calling them out on this crap plan. See ya when this game goes F2P and I pay less then you did just to walk through the door first. 60 bucks + 12 x 15 = 240 or I can wait =-)

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

dont WTF happened with this

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Get rid of Buy the Box.

Downloadable 7 day Free Trial then $15mo Sub to continue play. Keep the CS for fluff.

But Fk that $65 for a 30 day Trial BS

Box Price should only be for games without some Monthly Sub attached to it to continue playing after some time limit.

Like Skyrim

You get rid of the box, and you lose 3/4 of the retail outlet sales.

Not smart.

<blockquote> <i>Originally posted by jesusjuice69</i><br /> <blockquote> <b><i>Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs</i></b><br /> <p><b><b>Get rid of Buy the Box.</b></b></p> <p><b><b>Downloadable 7 day Free Trial then $15mo Sub to continue play. Keep the CS for fluff.</b></b></p> <p><b><b>But Fk that $65 for a 30 day Trial BS</b></b></p> <p><b><b> </b></b></p> <p><b><b>Box Price should only be for games without some Monthly Sub attached to it to continue playing after some time limit.</b></b></p> <p><b><b>Like Skyrim</b></b></p> </blockquote> <p><b>You get rid of the box, and you lose 3/4 of the retail outlet sales.</b></p> <p><b>Not smart.</b></p> <p> </p></blockquote><p>Well IMO they need to do something different.</p><p>I (and many others I believe) are tired of paying $60+ for 30 days of gameplay just to TRY a MMO.</p><p>Buy it to try it, but like it or not its yours. Im looking at 8 MMOs right now that I had to Buy to Try that are bricks because the game sucks. Worst is, 3 of them went F2P after I bought them.</p><p>Yeah I know, my fault for buying them with out waiting for them to get a FT or F2P</p><p>MMOs should at least Release with a 7 day FREE Trial BEFORE you buy it. Like the game= Pay Box price for the Full Game and 30 more days, then Sub for continued access after that.</p><p>If you dont like it all you really lost was DL/Install and Trial time.</p>

WOW whats this????

• JRRNeiklotJRRNeiklot Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Originally posted by Dalanon

What is there to defend?  Holy crap they want you to pay for the product they've spent hundreds of millions of dollars making, (gasp).  Wait there is more, they want a subscription to pay for the development costs of new content and to keep the servers running with good bandwidth!  When did every game on the planet have to use free to play just so a bunch of freeloaders still living with their parents could afford to play it?  If you buy one DVD a month, buy a take out dinner for 2, or smoke like 3 packs of cigs in a month, you already spend that much money, and got maybe a couple hours of value compared to the unlimited time you can enjoy playing a good mmo.

In most cases free to play isn't actually free, and even if it is, there isn't the amount of content a subscription based game can push out because they can actually pay developers to make content for it.  Guess what, FF14, Wildstar, and ESO all saying they are subscription recently because they know its the best way to make a quality product that actually has a chance of succeeding long term. 

Why do you assume he's complaining about the subscription?  I for one don't mind buying the game, nor paying a subscription. 
    The cash shop is what pisses me off.  I refuse to play pay to win games.

Get rid of Buy the Box.

Downloadable 7 day Free Trial then $15mo Sub to continue play. Keep the CS for fluff.

Box Price should only be for games without some Monthly Sub attached to it to continue playing after some time limit.

Like Skyrim

Not smart.

Box +Sub is standard P2P.

Well IMO they need to do something different.

I (and many others I believe) are tired of paying $60+ for 30 days of gameplay just to TRY a MMO.

Buy it to try it, but like it or not its yours. Im looking at 8 MMOs right now that I had to Buy to Try that are bricks because the game sucks. Worst is, 3 of them went F2P after I bought them.

Yeah I know, my fault for buying them with out waiting for them to get a FT or F2P

MMOs should at least Release with a 7 day FREE Trial BEFORE you buy it. Like the game= Pay Box price for the Full Game and 30 more days, then Sub for continued access after that.

If you dont like it all you really lost was DL/Install and Trial time.

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Originally posted by Shaigh
    8 million still supports box price, subscription and a cash shop.

According to alot of the people on this forum that makes the best game...The more we pay the better the game they say......

Originally posted by JRRNeiklot

What is there to defend?  Holy crap they want you to pay for the product they've spent hundreds of millions of dollars making, (gasp).  Wait there is more, they want a subscription to pay for the development costs of new content and to keep the servers running with good bandwidth!  When did every game on the planet have to use free to play just so a bunch of freeloaders still living with their parents could afford to play it?  If you buy one DVD a month, buy a take out dinner for 2, or smoke like 3 packs of cigs in a month, you already spend that much money, and got maybe a couple hours of value compared to the unlimited time you can enjoy playing a good mmo.

In most cases free to play isn't actually free, and even if it is, there isn't the amount of content a subscription based game can push out because they can actually pay developers to make content for it.  Guess what, FF14, Wildstar, and ESO all saying they are subscription recently because they know its the best way to make a quality product that actually has a chance of succeeding long term. 

Why do you assume he's complaining about the subscription?  I for one don't mind buying the game, nor paying a subscription. 

They did say the cash shop was going to be fun stuff. My guess is skins, cosmetic pets and crap like that. IMO this is still crap as paying customers used to get rewarded for being loyal with what we get in cosmetic cash shops now. Or earn the fun stuff for playing events. IMO this is a low move and can only be fixed if gamers start voting with their money. 

Get rid of Buy the Box.

Like Skyrim

Not smart.

Box +Sub is standard P2P.

Well IMO they need to do something different.

I (and many others I believe) are tired of paying $60+ for 30 days of gameplay just to TRY a MMO.

Buy it to try it, but like it or not its yours. Im looking at 8 MMOs right now that I had to Buy to Try that are bricks because the game sucks. Worst is, 3 of them went F2P after I bought them.

Yeah I know, my fault for buying them with out waiting for them to get a FT or F2P

MMOs should at least Release with a 7 day FREE Trial BEFORE you buy it. Like the game= Pay Box price for the Full Game and 30 more days, then Sub for continued access after that.

If you dont like it all you really lost was DL/Install and Trial time.

Thats where fair comes in. I am not here saying FF14 is a better game then ESO but SE has done very well by FF14 fans. No cash shop, 30 bucks for the game and a sub. All fun items will be given out for free other then the CE items. GW2 is quality as well and has a place in the MMO market as much as some do not like it. B2P and free content after free content with a fair cash shop. Its time game companies started acting fair. Gamers need to vote with their money or they wont listen. 

Originally posted by JRRNeiklot

They did say the cash shop was going to be fun stuff. My guess is skins, cosmetic pets and crap like that. IMO this is still crap as paying customers used to get rewarded for being loyal with what we get in cosmetic cash shops now. Or earn the fun stuff for playing events. IMO this is a low move and can only be fixed if gamers start voting with their money. 

"Fun Stuff" will most likely be a new Color Pallet (muted) so that you dont have to always wear the drab Gray or Brown that everything come in. Or 3 new Hair Styles- Washed, Brushed and Deloused.

The problem here is we have a very rough translation of Matt's words to go on this "item shop" "fun items" thing, when they've said already (in plain English) that their game really doesn't fit micro transactions. People are freaking out over three words "Fun items" *services*. Which the later is to be expected as an additional fee, services always have been.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Iselin

You know you are stretching and I do like you so I will chuck you a bone. You can buy 1 set of digital items from the collectors edition =-) Go read up on SE stand on cash shops and also read up on the free digital items they are giving away, monthly and in events. Pick a model and do it justice. You want Box price + P2P then drop this cash shop crap for fun stuff and reward your customers for it. I know I am asking a lot as Cash shops are popping up everywhere. Does not mean as a customer I cant call them out on this crap. If you want a cash shop then go B2P like GW2. Time people voted with their money. Its not bullshit as you say... people should be sick of being walked on. I play GW2 because they are fair with their payment model. I will play FF14 because they are again being true and fair to their customers with the payment model. Not saying ESO does not have a place in the market, Im just calling them out on this crap plan. See ya when this game goes F2P and I pay less then you did just to walk through the door first. 60 bucks + 12 x 15 = 240 or I can wait =-)

I'm not stretching anything. You were the one that said that FFXIV doesn't have a cash shop. They do. Admittedly one with limited merchandise, but it's there.

Also, will server transfers and name changes be free in FXIV?

WOW has had a cash shop for years and they also charge for name changes, faction changes and server changes. As a matter of fact I can't think of any MMO--regardless of whether it has a sub or not, that doesn't have a shop somewhere to sell you crap, even if it's just T-shirts.

Rift, a F2P game with cash shop, also gives daily, weekly and monthly gifts--among some of the perks--to anyone who chooses to sub despite not needing to. It's not exactly a new thing they're doing.

Do we even know yet what exactly ESO will be selling in its cash shop? For all we know it will be just as limited as what Square Enix sells.

And finally, I'm not committed to buying ESO - I might if the product they show us just before release in open beta is worth it. That's exactly what I did with FFXIV last weekend: I registered for an account, got the DL link off reddit and played it all weekend.

In the end, I decided it wasn't for me because of the ridiculous text in all the balloon quest spam, the way-too-cute obligatory child race and lack of any real innovation. I felt that I had seen and done it all before in every single Eastern MMO I've tried and rejected. Glad it suits you though :)

When ESO is ready for prime time, I will do the same and play it or not based on my own, highly personal,criteria.

Cya there or not.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265

So we buy game and pay sub AND IF WE WANT FUN ITEMS WE NEED PAY MORE!

i start get feel that they know ESO will fail and crap all money they can in few month.

Sub games should never ever have any cash shop.