Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO will have a box price, subscription AND a cash shop.

Comments

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

Ugh.

Yeah, whatever, I'll stick to FFXIV...

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I love how people are comparing to WoW.  This is flat out dishonest.  WoW doesn't have an in-game cash shop where you can buy items directly.  You must purchase these items on their website.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by boxsnd

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1kvwop/so_elder_scrolls_online_has_a_sub_fee_and_a_cash/

Let's see the fans defend this one.

Subscription models dont say shit...

If its a good game, people will buy it, if not, they will not...  Thats a simple fact....

Tough having a cash shop somehow kills the vision of those people screaming the want subscription MMOs back... because what they want is not a usbscription MMO, they wan an MMO without cash shop.  I dont think its a smart thing to do, when you are concerned about hyping your game, to get as many first week sales as possible, but i dont think it will matter much in the long run.

Personally i am a bit sad because of this news, it just shows they are all in it for the money. And the real problem is that developers led by gread make design dessigens based on that same greed, and not based on intuition.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• STYNKFYSTSTYNKFYST Member Posts: 290

You'd think that paying $50-$60 for a game and $15 sub was some strange thing. Up until a couple years ago...this IS what you paid. Game prices increased all around. ALL top games have been released at $59.95 US for the last couple of years. We paid $50 + $15 sub for WoW when released right?

All this BS on this site about how outrageous the price is may be warranted given today's low standards, but not beyond what has been paid before.

Cash shop? Why does that matter?

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Yamota

It is either F2P+cash shop or double-dip, meaning P2P+cash shop.

Now why would I pay for a sub if they have a cash shop as well?

So was he just blowing smoke?

There will certainly be a cash shop.  He doesn't care about the integrity of the game experience.  He doesn't care about gamers.  He is going for the money grab and that is the bottom line.  Not to mention he is disingenuous at best.

In the end the only conclusion I can come to is that Firor is going for a cash grab by exploiting P2P vets looking for a nostalgic old school game experience.  Once that dwindles he'll sellout and go bastardized hybrid of some sort.

Pretty much… beautiful PR speak. It doesn't surprise me that some companies still try to pull this off, what surprises me is that people still fall for it after all of these years. I cannot see how TESO can last for more than a year with a P2P and cash shop (even if it is optional) business model. At least SWTOR didn’t go this low when they launched their game. They both may or may not have a really strong lore to back them up (depending on who you ask) but aside from that…

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I'd suggest to the fans and defenders of P2P+cash shop in ESO to enjoy paying their sub while it'll last, because that won't be for long.

F2P in 3, 2, 1....

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Shaigh
    8 million still supports box price, subscription and a cash shop.

You realize that Chinese Wow players only pay an hourly fee and not box price, yes?

And in Wows case the itemshop were added after most people laready was hooked on the game.

I think ESO is making a huge misstake here which might cost them many players. The reason to play P2P is to get rid of the itemshop and they should choose either monthly fees or shop.

Then again, if the game is good enough it will still do well but it better be great...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

I think quite a few are missing the OP's observation that we had a lot of posts basically saying F2P is dead and subs are back. However, the reality is that the part of free to play that people didn't like (because I hope it wasn't being upset that it was FREE) was the item mall, and the item mall will be present in these new subscription games.

It's funny, actually, because GW2 added a box price to the item mall game and the anti-free to play crowd cheered. Now devs are adding a box price AND a subscription to the item mall games, and the anti-f2p crowd is cheering even louder.

F2P = full itemshop.

B2P = cosmetic stuff, bankslots and similar

P2P = No itemshop

Anything more suck, I can play either of those free as long as it doesn't get too much pay2win in the F2P game.

But then I am rather consequent with it, far too many people here cheers now but have complained on itemshops in F2P and sometimes even B2P games.

Originally posted by Loke666

You realize that Chinese Wow players only pay an hourly fee and not box price, yes?

And in Wows case the itemshop were added after most people laready was hooked on the game.

I think ESO is making a huge misstake here which might cost them many players. The reason to play P2P is to get rid of the itemshop and they should choose either monthly fees or shop.

Then again, if the game is good enough it will still do well but it better be great...

Funny you mention markets that are so opposite it isn't funny

Another debunk is that a cash shop HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH gameplay

• AtlasGravesAtlasGraves Member UncommonPosts: 16

If the game is amazing then all will be well 

or if game is sub par or not up to your standards then blame pricing structure

only one of two scenarios here

Originally posted by boxsnd

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1kvwop/so_elder_scrolls_online_has_a_sub_fee_and_a_cash/

Let's see the fans defend this one.

Your avatar tells me I will play this

• rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973

I think quite a few are missing the OP's observation that we had a lot of posts basically saying F2P is dead and subs are back. However, the reality is that the part of free to play that people didn't like (because I hope it wasn't being upset that it was FREE) was the item mall, and the item mall will be present in these new subscription games.

It's funny, actually, because GW2 added a box price to the item mall game and the anti-free to play crowd cheered. Now devs are adding a box price AND a subscription to the item mall games, and the anti-f2p crowd is cheering even louder.

Who's cheering? In this thread, it seems like disappointment or, at best, hesitant optimism.

Oh, sorry. Didn't mean to interrupt the circle jerk...

• KickaxeKickaxe Member UncommonPosts: 167

I really don't think that these publishers and developers do themselves any favours when they coyly let slip that an item mall will be appended to their sub plus box price payment model.  It is truism to say that they need money to operate but it has become apparent that some of the competition has demonstrated continuing viability under less steep payment models to their customers.

Yet somehow sub plus box price plus expansions is not enough to provide for services such as name changes and server transfers?  Or even more disappointing perhaps that additional items--weapons, armour, mounts, etc--cannot somehow be attainable solely within the game world, because additional income is so obviously a must that corrupted immersion is a justified cost?

It's getting difficult to sustain an argument that the sub model isn't simply about greed, with actions like these.  No item mall whatsoever is the way to go if you want to be taken for your word when you suggest scrupulous reasons for going sub model.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by Kickaxe

I really don't think that these publishers and developers do themselves any favours when they coyly let slip that an item mall will be appended to their sub plus box price payment model.  It is truism to say that they need money to operate but it has become apparent that some of the competition has demonstrated continuing viability under less steep payment models to their customers.

Yet somehow sub plus box price plus expansions is not enough to provide for services such as name changes and server transfers?  Or even more disappointing perhaps that additional items--weapons, armour, mounts, etc--cannot somehow be attainable solely within the game world, because additional income is so obviously a must that corrupted immersion is a justified cost?

It's getting difficult to sustain an argument that the sub model isn't simply about greed, with actions like these.  No item mall whatsoever is the way to go if you want to be taken for your word when you suggest scrupulous reasons for going sub model.

I agree. I actually don't even understand how some people can simply just accept this. Not a single person has brought a good argument against B2P. They only keep mentioning F2P like a broken record because they don't have an argument.

The ONLY legitimate argument anyone had against B2P was the cash shop, which not many even used in their argument. However, it's confirmed they will have a cash shop anyway.

Now some of the same people who argued with that, is fine with them putting one in.

Sounds to me, like these people would agree with anything Zenimax gave them. Even if they took a pile of steaming crap in a box, all these fans would probably accept it with out a fuss.

Course it doesn't help that MMO players all have double standards. Really no one can win ever.

At least to me B2P is meeting half way in a sense.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

a small fraction of those 8 millions use the item store you are talking about to buy items. Account services are fine, in game items are not.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    What are people complaining about? Being able to purchase a token to rename your character? All I see in this thread are off the wall assumptions. 
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

F2P = full itemshop.

P2P = No itemshop

Anything more suck, I can play either of those free as long as it doesn't get too much pay2win in the F2P game.

But then I am rather consequent with it, far too many people here cheers now but have complained on itemshops in F2P and sometimes even B2P games.

Which subscription MMO doesn't have a cash shop of some kind, and is that the exception or the rule?

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CthulhuPuffsCthulhuPuffs Member UncommonPosts: 368

Get rid of Buy the Box.

Downloadable 7 day Free Trial then $15mo Sub to continue play. Keep the CS for fluff.

But Fk that $65 for a 30 day Trial BS

Box Price should only be for games without some Monthly Sub attached to it to continue playing after some time limit.

Like Skyrim

Bringer of Eternal Darkness and Despair, but also a Nutritious way to start your Morning.

Games Played: Too Many

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by CthulhuPuffs

Get rid of Buy the Box.

Downloadable 7 day Free Trial then $15mo Sub to continue play. Keep the CS for fluff.

But Fk that $65 for a 30 day Trial BS

Box Price should only be for games without some Monthly Sub attached to it to continue playing after some time limit.

Like Skyrim

You get rid of the box, and you lose 3/4 of the retail outlet sales.

Not smart.

Box +Sub is standard P2P.

F2P = full itemshop.

P2P = No itemshop

Which subscription MMO doesn't have a cash shop of some kind, and is that the exception or the rule?

WoW used to have an ideal cash shop for the game.  Very minimal.

What do you want to bet ESO won't restrain itself in the same way?

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    So basically everyone is panicking because some foreign site interview let slip that theyll have an item shop that includes name changes(?). Translated by google no less. /sigh how about we see wtf they plan to put in this cash shop (other than name changes before we start losing our freakin minds over an ambiguous comment. It may well just be a similar system to which Blizzard has been using for years now.

That said, if its the f2p kind of cash shop then im out as well. Probably the dumbest thing they could do but oh well ... ESO is like 3rd in my list of potential MMOs anyway, and one I planned on waiting a few months to make sure they dont pull he old p2p<>f2p switcheroo a few months down the line.
  • Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by coretex666

So that it is going to use the same revenue channels as the most successful MMO in the history?

Outrage!!!

How well has that worked out for everyone but the most successful MMO in history.  Fortunately for us, history answers that question for us.

Why would I care whether it will work for them or not?

I am the customer here. I represent potential demand for their product. I am being offered something at certain price with certain conditions. I can make the decision whether I agree with the conditions and purchase the product or not.

What is the problem here?

I think it actually does kinda matter to you.  It kinda matters to every customer. It's the same reason why it matters which dealer ships have different prices at car lots. It's the same reason you shop at different stores for different prices. As a customer you should be looking to ...

1. Get the best deal possible.

2. Not get scammed.

3. Look at past sales to get an idea of what to expect.

4. Look to make the most out of what you pay for.

5. Look at how other companies and other products of similarity do on the market. It could give you hints of how the product your interested in will do as well.

o.o really I am just making this all up lol.

But I don't think it's bad advice really.

• nf4mousnf4mous Member Posts: 45
    not good , folks. the writing is on the wall.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    The day Blizzard sold 25 millings opening weekend with that damn sparkle pony mount was the day I knew that cash shops were going to be in every MMO one day. So ESO has picked to P2P + Box price + cash shop. They have to walk a line on what they add to the cash shop. P2P means they better have the content to back up a monthly sub. I have a feeling they are not gona get this right. The more I read about this game the less I am interested. IMO this seem more like a GW2 game. Fun but not a lot of depth. Should have gona B2P with a GW2 style cash shop IMO. Cant wait to see this game go head to head with EQN lol
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    omg! P2P and still cash shop?! they just turned greed level higher??