Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ESO will have a box price, subscription AND a cash shop.

boxsndboxsnd Member UncommonPosts: 438

DAoC - Excalibur & Camlann

Comments

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I don't care if they require virgin sacrifice, lol

If the game is good, I'll buy it and sub and play until I'm tired of it (or it goes full-blown F2P).

If I don't like what I see in Open Beta, I won't play it, regardless of the payment model.

• ShaighShaigh Member EpicPosts: 2,142
    8 million still supports box price, subscription and a cash shop.
    Iselin: And the next person who says "but it's a business, they need to make money" can just go fuck yourself.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I'm not going to defend it, but I don't know that it's going to be a bit deal.  As long as any play2win items are not sold in the cash shop, I don't really see how it has much of an effect on anything.

I rarely partake in any cash shop.  So it doesn't alter my gameplay.  This is, again, assuming that they stick to cosmetics and basic items that have little value in the actual game world.  So, for instance, if they start asking players to buy inventory space or bank space from the cash shop, that can't be obtained in the game, I'll have to be all up in arms about it like some other people.

Ultimately, I'm reserving judgement until I find out some details. 

And as a little end-note, I think making an announcement like that without calming the rage that is surely to ensue, is either idiotic, or brilliant.  From a marketing standpoint of course.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

If the game is good, I'll buy it and sub and play until I'm tired of it (or it goes full-blown F2P).

If I don't like what I see in Open Beta, I won't play it, regardless of the payment model.

This minus the F2P comment. F2P doesn't ruin games, companies that don't integrate F2P into games correctly do.

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716

http://esohub.de/news/154-eso-interview-abomodell-itemshop-entwicklung%5B1%5D

If you watch the video he states there will be all 3 box + sub + cash shop. Now he does say the shop will have things like name changes and what not but that does not mean they wont put in things like mounts and cosmetic equipment later or even EXP pots and what not. But hey its not my choice on what they do they can have it anyway they want.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Wakygreek

This minus the F2P comment. F2P doesn't ruin games, companies that don't integrate F2P into games correctly do.

My F2P comment was because I don't expect them to implement a CS that I will be able to live with. I've only seen one of those, and that was during the first 6 months of TSW.

• natpicknatpick Member UncommonPosts: 271
    why would you think the fans of eso would need to defend anything its a business decision made by a compnay you know like trying to make money,if the fans buy it and enjoy it everyone goes home happy,strange mindset by some people these days.
  • DalanonDalanon Member UncommonPosts: 126

What is there to defend?  Holy crap they want you to pay for the product they've spent hundreds of millions of dollars making, (gasp).  Wait there is more, they want a subscription to pay for the development costs of new content and to keep the servers running with good bandwidth!  When did every game on the planet have to use free to play just so a bunch of freeloaders still living with their parents could afford to play it?  If you buy one DVD a month, buy a take out dinner for 2, or smoke like 3 packs of cigs in a month, you already spend that much money, and got maybe a couple hours of value compared to the unlimited time you can enjoy playing a good mmo.

In most cases free to play isn't actually free, and even if it is, there isn't the amount of content a subscription based game can push out because they can actually pay developers to make content for it.  Guess what, FF14, Wildstar, and ESO all saying they are subscription recently because they know its the best way to make a quality product that actually has a chance of succeeding long term. 

Not all who wander are lost...

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by boxsnd

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1kvwop/so_elder_scrolls_online_has_a_sub_fee_and_a_cash/

Let's see the fans defend this one.

So that's how the forums here work...it's all attack and defend. All this time I've been doing it wrong. Thanks for clearing that up image

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• asrlohzasrlohz Member Posts: 645

He never claimed that they would have a cash shop. He said there would be "Fun stuff and services too". Question is, what is "Fun stuff"? Because name changes, physical security keys and such isn't really anything but standard. The "Fun Stuff" might refer to physical merchandise.

We should confront them, asking them in their AuA if they meant it as in an ingame cash shop with vanity items, not take it out of context.

• RictisRictis Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

My F2P comment was because I don't expect them to implement a CS that I will be able to live with. I've only seen one of those, and that was during the first 6 months of TSW.

CS are great for aesthetics imo and some once in a while treats like illusions fast travel etc. 

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276

CS are great for aesthetics imo and some once in a while treats like illusions fast travel etc. 

I kind of expect P2W at this point.  If they are so damn greedy that they will charge a sub for a B2P game, then they will likely try to milk even more money from us via P2W.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    If you don't like the model, vote with your wallet.  Don't buy it and bitch on a forum. 
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/1kvwop/so_elder_scrolls_online_has_a_sub_fee_and_a_cash/

This isn't on my radar, haven't really looked at it and such, but if the cash shop is cosmetic and name changes and such, then I wouldn't care if I was playing it.....It is when a P2P runs a cash shop that is like a f2p game that is a problem for me.  I will take P2P with cosmetic over a f2p mmo any day, if they had equal play.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

Yep, sub based MMOs are dead. It is either F2P+cash shop or double-dip, meaning P2P+cash shop.

Now why would I pay for a sub if they have a cash shop as well?

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

This isn't just any mmo charging like this, its one that comes out on XB1 and PS4, building on a B2P product. The shop won't be the problem, the sub will.

A sub would make more sense in ANY other mmo coming out, FF:XIV has XI as a precedence, Wildstar has major endgame for PVE and PVP, EQN has vast potential for player made content, Archeage has its sandbox pvp, but TESO? I keep waiting for Zenimax to make a decision I can understand... still waiting. 

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by coretex666

So that it is going to use the same revenue channels as the most successful MMO in the history?

Outrage!!!

How well has that worked out for everyone but the most successful MMO in history.  Fortunately for us, history answers that question for us.

Almost all profitable (very rare occasions of games not breaking even and making profit in short order).

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    Please Nickle & Dime us to death, we love it.
  • MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333
    Originally posted by Miblet
    Originally posted by coretex666

So that it is going to use the same revenue channels as the most successful MMO in the history?

Outrage!!!

How well has that worked out for everyone but the most successful MMO in history.  Fortunately for us, history answers that question for us.

Almost all profitable (very rare occasions of games not breaking even and making profit in short order).

Yeah, not so much on the triple dip.  Which games have been very profitable staying subscription with a cash shop and DLC costs (box fees and xpacs).

I concede not so much on the triple dip.  I can only recall one game trying it though in all fairness (WoW).  Subs and expansions (and initial box) are common though and as I said it is a very rare thing on fails to reach profitability.

I think everyone saw this coming though.  When WoW sold the spectral steed for the first time it became obvious it was coming to the P2P titles, the revenue was too high to ignore for the development costs.  Had they not sold so insanely well who knows what would have happened...people may have even recieved the items in game, as before without having to pay for them with a sub and item cost.

• dgarbinidgarbini Member Posts: 185

Hey in another thread where people were defending p2p and saying yay to the end of cash shops I made a bet that all they would still have cash shops.  Who took my bet I want my damn money. :(

Anyways I still want a new term for games that are sub + box + cashshop.  P2P just doesn't cover it.  Maybe s2p? (screw to play)  The only way they could milk more money out of this would be to add a paid expansion or DLC every 4 months or so.

• SleepyfishSleepyfish Member Posts: 363
    It doesnt matter, honestly the games out now are so weak as far as meaningful gameplay people are starving to death for basic entertainment. The first game to actually give PVPers and PVEers and crafters what they actually want will win. Will not matter what payment model they use. This is a very simple formula of fun pvp that allows you to hunt down and slaughter people who dont want to be killed, Uncle owen crafting, maybe some kind of housing, and hard dungeon material. This sounds simple but games like GW2 and TOR create easy to play bubblegum worlds with no character development, very little thought or theory crafting with moronic skill systems. and  put the whole game on highly restrictive rails. For some reason they think this will attract players and not bore them to death. 
  • TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

God the pessimism on these boards . . .

What I see is something no different from what WoW has been doing for years. Buy the box, pay the subscription, and ignore the fluffy toys or mounts or pets. The service thing isn't new either and you can ignore that too.

Geez, grasping for anything to use as ammunition, huh? Here's an idea - as crazy as it may sound - SHUT UP! Go play your dozens of f2p games and let others enjoy this. I hear folks saying the p2p crowd is elitist but I'll be damned if the f2p crowd isn't toxic and destructive.

What the hell does it matter, exactly? If you like the game, pay the fee, if not then let those who do enjoy it. You have plenty of games out there for you to play, just leave well enough alone. Please, for the love of God, the Devil, and Sheogorath, just leave well enough alone and go do something more constructive rather than playing the armchair warrior.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

I think quite a few are missing the OP's observation that we had a lot of posts basically saying F2P is dead and subs are back. However, the reality is that the part of free to play that people didn't like (because I hope it wasn't being upset that it was FREE) was the item mall, and the item mall will be present in these new subscription games.

It's funny, actually, because GW2 added a box price to the item mall game and the anti-free to play crowd cheered. Now devs are adding a box price AND a subscription to the item mall games, and the anti-f2p crowd is cheering even louder.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708

What is there to defend or bash?  Assumptions?  It all depends on what they plan to put on the cash shop.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

OP, I am trying to figure out what your point is? TESO will have a subscription, a cash shop, and a box / download  purchase fee. Does it surprise anyone that the team is looking to absolutely gouge you the player for as much money as they think they can get away with, particularly at launch when the property is hot and everyone is trying it out? We live in an era where the ethics of business are secondary to income and price point is determined by charging the absolute most people will pay for a product rather than determining a fair return on the cost of manufacture. Is this supposed to upset me?  It is what it is.

You can be a needy sheep and go along with it or wait till the launch player herd ditches the title and they change business models. It is inevitable. They will have to go free or buy to play at some future point, just like every other modern release on the market, and they know it too. They are just front loading income as much as possible right now. So what? As badly as I want to AvA I also happen to be patient enough to wait. If they were smart they would have simply gone buy to play and secured a more stable long term income supply with the CS but maybe they don't have so much confidence in the title and are looking to cash in now while they can.