Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Elder Scrolls Online: ESO’s Risky Business

124»

Comments

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Yeaaaaaa! This is the only good way to do it. Sub or nothing
  • spawn12345spawn12345 Member UncommonPosts: 172

its sub + microtransaction shop 

Interviewer: Many companies have this subscription and they have something extra...is there going to be a shop, is there going to be something extra, like bonus points

Matt Firor: There won't be anything like bonus points, but we'll have a shop to buy like fun stuff and services too, like name changes and things like that...but it's not part of the core gameplay, like anything in the core game is included in the subscription price.

http://esohub.de/news/154-eso-interview-abomodell-itemshop-entwicklung

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424

How about $15 a month standard, $10 a month if you subscribe for 3 or more months of service with a single payment, then $5 a month if you purchase a year or more.

The second sounds reasonable and I can at least dream for the third. = )

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by spawn12345

Interviewer: Many companies have this subscription and they have something extra...is there going to be a shop, is there going to be something extra, like bonus points

Matt Firor: There won't be anything like bonus points, but we'll have a shop to buy like fun stuff and services too, like name changes and things like that...but it's not part of the core gameplay, like anything in the core game is included in the subscription price.

I keep seeing people linking to that article but I do not speak or read German and I am sure most of us are in that same boat is there an English version of this article anywhere?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

So they'll have a cash shop like in GW2 but charge a sub as well? 

Sorry, but GW2 has raised the bar too high. You get content releases every two weeks for no charge at all. Can or will ESO even come close to that? In order to justify a sub these days, in my opinion, you'll need a game as great as that one and more content being released than they already do. I doubt these guys have it in them.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Eso and wildstar guaranteed to be f2p in a year.

Steam: Neph

• TrueGamer1993TrueGamer1993 Member Posts: 3
    Personally I think that the best thing ESO should have done is gone with the Guild Wars 2 style  thing, buy it once and its free for life then they would still get the cash they need to keep it running and it would most likely be more appealing towards the older Elder scrolls fans. But yea with a sub model I see it lasting a few months a year at the most then going Free to play.
  • CetraCetra Member UncommonPosts: 359
    Originally posted by gr0und3d
    I think players got tired of playing shitty games or games that they didn't feel connected to.  If TESO is good, people will pay for it.  Plain and simple.

This. Shitty mmo is the reason for converting to f2p. It has nothing to do with p2p.
    If its a good game, ppl will keep paying for it. There is no magic behind.  Gamers will pay anything for a good game. We have the $$$. Give us a good game, we give u the cash. We dont avoid a game because "we need to pay". Only casuals who dont really dig into mmos and school kids want f2p.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by r3t3

They will get their box sales which will be high due to the IP, ride those subs for 3 months and we all know what happens at the 3 month mark, massive exodus of players, once the subs plummet the free to play will be announced and implemented.  This is guaranteed.

So yes i appreciate the monthly sub also but it's a pipe dream at best and what bothers me the most is so many will accept this to support it but once the casuals move on the F2P is their next cash cow option.

F2P started because the sub model was a dead end as every mmo used it, and people simply got tired of paying monthly, so games went F2P to survive.

I disagree F2P started to become popular because of crappy MMORPGs with high subs.  There are good F2P games and there are good SUB games.  They are different but neither is inherantly better.  You can make a F2P game that does not nickle and dime you yet still makes money.  Does anyone ever feel like they have to buy a league of legends skin? Most people who play the game have but they don't need to.   On the other hand do WoW players hate wow for charging them monthly fee? No because their money is put towards constant expansions and they know that the game will continue as a result (The reasonable ones anyways).

Judging all F2P games by Neverwinter and Ultima Forever is just as bad as judging all SUB games by SWOTR when it came out.  Just cause those games could not provide upside for their monitary systems doesn't mean that it cant be done.

• ZeGermanZeGerman Member UncommonPosts: 211
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Eso and wildstar guaranteed to be f2p in a year.

Not if they are good games they won't, not because f2p is a bad model just because they wont under go major changes if the gaming community accepts them as they are.

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by Volkon

Sorry, but GW2 has raised the bar too high. You get content releases every two weeks for no charge at all. Can or will ESO even come close to that? In order to justify a sub these days, in my opinion, you'll need a game as great as that one and more content being released than they already do. I doubt these guys have it in them.

While, I'm not a fan of what ESO is proposing, I'm sure they can do better than the fluff GW2 has been releasing lately. 

• ZairuZairu Member Posts: 469
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Cetra
    I think players got tired of playing shitty games or games that they didn't feel connected to.  If TESO is good, people will pay for it.  Plain and simple.

This. Shitty mmo is the reason for converting to f2p. It has nothing to do with p2p.
    If its a good game, ppl will keep paying for it. There is no magic behind.  Gamers will pay anything for a good game. We have the $$$. Give us a good game, we give u the cash. We dont avoid a game because "we need to pay". Only casuals who dont really dig into mmos and school kids want f2p.

This is a total load.  The games aren't shitty.  They just aren't worth paying a bill for. There is a huge difference.

TESO and Wildstar won't be bad games, but after that honeymoon high wears off people start questioning the value of paying a monthly bill for a game that requires you to do so or you lose access to all you spent already (time and money).  The P2P system treats its customers horribly.

my thoughts exactly.

• ArthasmArthasm Member UncommonPosts: 785
    Originally posted by Cetra

This is a total load.  The games aren't shitty.  They just aren't worth paying a bill for. There is a huge difference.

TESO and Wildstar won't be bad games, but after that honeymoon high wears off people start questioning the value of paying a monthly bill for a game that requires you to do so or you lose access to all you spent already (time and money).  The P2P system treats its customers horribly.

Well, you have pretty much truck load of games not worth paying bill for. Why bother with this one? They already said, if it's good, they will pay. If not, it will become "not worth paying". TESO is not my type of game, not after what I know about game. But, I really hope it will be great game for those who will play and pay and every single sub they spent it will be worth.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,825

I do little more than scan articles on MMO's that are not out yet. But this announcement tells me I will not be following the yellow brick road as so many MMO's have wanted me to over the last few years. P2P means funding, it means more of an open world and it means quality.

Maybe I won't like the classes, maybe I won't like how they implemented the crafting of pick axes, who cares? The graphics will be good and the world open, that's a great start.

• LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Subscription model is the future. Companies had the chance to implement a successful F2P model and failed! It is the subscription based games where communities are built and where people settle down. F2P kills gamelore and communities. It is about time that this model goes to hell! We dont need anotger half baked 200000 player game. We need real WOW subscription alternatives!

• xXMapcoXxxXMapcoXx Member Posts: 9
    I can't believe so many people commented about this. I like how people who say it should be p2p say "it will keep all the kids out who I don't wanna play with". Wow, didnt know the game was a club that you have to be invited in to play. My bad didnt know that gamers were all elitist. But whatever. I am no way mad that the dev want there money worth. I game developing is a company and they make games to make money. Lets stop kidding our selfs. We shouldnt be mad about it people can't live off hopes and dreams. I am not paying another 15 dollars a month. I know for a fact and so do all of you that this is how games works. People who are hardcore who live to play games who are so proud that they play games are going to run threw the content no matter how great it is within a few weeks, and if you paying for the game ever single month you want it to be worth cuz ever single sec you are not play it you are throwing your money away. Now we all know this game will go f2p or b2p in a year. cuz i know for a fact a lot of people are either not going to buy it or buy it and not want to keep spending a monthly fee.  I also got to say people who say people keep playing wow cuz they are still paying for it. If that is your only reason to play a game cuz you are paying for it so you got to that is horrible. I am willing to pay 60 dollar to support the dev but i dont think any game is so great you have me having to keep paying a fee, but if you all want to pay to play that is in your right and I support it. Just don't come down on people not wanting by calling them poor fuckers who should get a second job! More than half of those people are willing to give them 60 dollars for the game.  Wow got away with charging a fee cuz it had no to compete with it. It doesn't really matter this game will either go f2p or b2p with in a year give or take. 
  • xXMapcoXxxXMapcoXx Member Posts: 9
    Lonzo writes:

Subscription model is the future. Companies had the chance to implement a successful F2P model and failed! It is the subscription based games where communities are built and where people settle down. F2P kills gamelore and communities. It is about time that this model goes to hell! We dont need anotger half baked 200000 player game. We need real WOW subscription alternatives!

Know what else we should do we should have gamers like you outside the shops of gamestores screen players to make sure only the people you deem fit should be allow to play. Get fucking real you nazi and another thing ever fucking mmo that was p2p has had to go f2p know why! cuz not enough players play there p2p great about a hundred people get to get to get into a big orgy pile an gush over how they are the only ones that get to do something.  I hope the game goes f2p just to rub it in your face. p2p works for about six months and quickly dies out.

• HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    The whole payment model thing has gone to far now. It seems to be more important to people than the game. I have always said that f2p would kill the mmo and it has. People are just cheap and want everything handed to them for free. And devs now are all caught up in wanting to make wow money. Every mmo pre wow had one model, 15 bucks a month and if you liked the game it was worth it. If you didn't you moved on simple as that. F2P options in mmo's need to go away along with cash shops. It kills the whole role playing that all mmo's used to offer. Probably why i just stopped playing mmo's now. I just got sick and tied of these offers scrolling in chat or right on the screen. And the cash shop button right on the ui. I miss how it used to be with these games. The next game to come out without a f2p model and no cash shop will be great to me. I have no problem paying monthly for a game i like.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,739
    I think the problem with p2ps is too many people focus on short term......To many here see it as "its only 15 bucks a month", but what many dont figure is what it costs to play for several months or even a year.......When I look at it that way then I realize i'm not going to pay 180 dollars to play a video game....Theres tons of free games that  ican pay ten here or twenty there but not 180..... Also from my previous Elder Scroll games experience, I never played any of them for any length of time....i usually beat all of them fairly quick or had the best gear in the game fairly quick and just had nothing to keep me interested any longer.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,937
    Originally posted by Theocritus
    I think the problem with p2ps is too many people focus on short term......To many here see it as "its only 15 bucks a month", but what many dont figure is what it costs to play for several months or even a year.......When I look at it that way then I realize i'm not going to pay 180 dollars to play a video game....Theres tons of free games that  ican pay ten here or twenty there but not 180..... Also from my previous Elder Scroll games experience, I never played any of them for any length of time....i usually beat all of them fairly quick or had the best gear in the game fairly quick and just had nothing to keep me interested any longer.

Well, that's one way to look at it.

The way I look at it is if I want to play "x" game I look at what it offers and what the costs are. If I like the game then the costs are "what it costs". You say there are many f2p games but if I don't want to play any of those then who cares?

I keep saying it and it sounds like a broken record but these games require more than box prices to play. All f2p does is allow those who are willing to make up the yearly cost to pay as much as they can while allowing those who won't pay or pay very little to play the game and fill up the world.

If a game costs, say, (and you can throw any figure you want or think is adequate) 5 million per year to run (not including making back any initial investment) then someone has to pay that. If it's a b2p game then they will make back some of their initial investment but then where does the additional money come from? Selling hats and bits and bobs in a cash shop where they hope to make a reasonable amount per year.

You say you won't pay x amount of dollars per year but someone has to. f2p allows a few to do so, b2p with cash shop allows for all who play to put something in up front but still relies upon that cash shop.

p2p with cash shop is unfortunate but it does allow for a reasonably steady amount per month so that they know what they have to work with. I mean, I can imagine any f2p or b2p game being very "iffy" if you have no idea how many hats you are going to sell in a month. The issue with p2p is that developers have sort of taken advantage. They still need the money but updates and events didn't come as often as players would have wanted. that paints a bad picture and makes players wonder where there money is going. So I can see why players' good will has been tested.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574

Carbine even said Wildstar won't try and match ANet's content pace, yet the sub-fee.

If people want to play that then fine, but I don't want to hear any BS about better quality or anything else they want to use to justify it.  They have all the same revenue and design trappings as F2P only they're charging you a sub.

I really think P2P players like the idea of belonging to an exclusive club that makes them feel important. I don't think it has anything to do with game quality or being pestered with a cash shop.  I really think it's about self-validation and feeling special.  I guess that is worth $150 to $200 a year for some people.  I think it is dragging down progress in the genre.  Painfully enough, it seems that consoles are the platform for innovation, while PC mmos continue to wallow in the mire.

Guild Wars 2's content is fluff - that's the thing. It's not raids, it's not new quests or large zones. It's fixing signs. I'm fine with Carbine not following the 2 week pillow fluffing schedule. I want old school style patches and I'm happy to pay $15 for that experience. I find it far more meaningful than what is currently out there. ESO is doing it wrong - and there's this perceived double standard that subscription is fine for WS but not ESO - because they don't what their target audience is. Games like Destiny, and Guild Wars 2 offer an MMO experience that is close to what you'd expect from a console crowd. They're going to get burned trying the sub with console players. They're game hoppers and won't stand for it. WS knows their audience, seemingly, and is targeting them accordingly. I'm not saying WS will be a wild success, but I hope it can at least sustain what we've seen with Eve. 

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Theocritus

LMAO - you added up the prices of a typical game shop in a majority of mmorpgs?  Unless you enjoy being a second class citizen with 2 bags in most games these days, you will pay a lot more than $15.00 per month.

The nonsense of today's "gaming" generation just baffles me.  It's no wonder the genre has dummed down so severely.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150
    Originally posted by Destai

Carbine even said Wildstar won't try and match ANet's content pace, yet the sub-fee.

If people want to play that then fine, but I don't want to hear any BS about better quality or anything else they want to use to justify it.  They have all the same revenue and design trappings as F2P only they're charging you a sub.

I really think P2P players like the idea of belonging to an exclusive club that makes them feel important. I don't think it has anything to do with game quality or being pestered with a cash shop.  I really think it's about self-validation and feeling special.  I guess that is worth $150 to $200 a year for some people.  I think it is dragging down progress in the genre.  Painfully enough, it seems that consoles are the platform for innovation, while PC mmos continue to wallow in the mire.

Guild Wars 2's content is fluff - that's the thing. It's not raids, it's not new quests or large zones. It's fixing signs. I'm fine with Carbine not following the 2 week pillow fluffing schedule. I want old school style patches and I'm happy to pay $15 for that experience. I find it far more meaningful than what is currently out there. ESO is doing it wrong - and there's this perceived double standard that subscription is fine for WS but not ESO - because they don't what their target audience is. Games like Destiny, and Guild Wars 2 offer an MMO experience that is close to what you'd expect from a console crowd. They're going to get burned trying the sub with console players. They're game hoppers and won't stand for it. WS knows their audience, seemingly, and is targeting them accordingly. I'm not saying WS will be a wild success, but I hope it can at least sustain what we've seen with Eve. 

Exactly. 

F2P is equivocated to the quality of a product.  This includes spam, bots, and farmers.  It's all in the same package.  You get this to some degree in sub models, but nothing says open door like an F2P.

Luckily Matt Firor has more faith in his title than most games produced in this decade.

• Stone_FountainStone_Fountain Member UncommonPosts: 233

Skyrim is a great game and I am not a FF fan or an 'Asian inspired' game fan for the most part. To each their own though but having to be nickled and dimed to death with cash cow pricing just turns me off immediately. If I play a game for 3 months or a year I want access to all of its content for a set sub. I will play it how I want..fast, slow, stop and smell the roses style or rush/zerg through it to get to endgame and PVP. I don't want to Paypal my sword or the components I could have gathered on my own to make it or trade for it. I am an EQ1 and P&P RPG refugee looking for a good MMORPG. I've tried many and stuck with a few for a long time. None of those were F2P but some turned into them. F2P games are set up so that its highly problematic to get things in a reasonable amount of time. It's model is set up that way so you pay.

What to remember:

1)For most part, the P2P model usually remains for those of us who prefer that route after the major exodus which happens in all newer games except WoW perhaps and I never played that.  

2)Cyrodil is an exciting and amazing place to adventure since it was introduced to us so many years ago. 

3)The 3 faction triangle is a good check for any 1 faction who tries to get to big. 

4)If it's a good game and has replayability, people will stick around. 

First PC Game: Pool of Radiance July 10th, 1990. First MMO: Everquest April 23, 1999