Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ultima Forever is not an MMO and MMORPG.com should be ashamed.

This game is less of an MMO than guildwars which is universally accepted as a NON-MMO game. 

In Ultima Forever you will see players on the main map screen and running around town. All you do is see them. When you actually play the game you are allowed to group with 4 players. 4 people is not massive. MMORPG.com should be ashamed.  I am for the first time disappointed in this website for classifying a 4 player game with a lobby as an MMO. 

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/07/12/eas-paul-barnett-ultima-forever-reboot-is-not-an-mmo/

Here is an interview where even the developer recognizes its not an MMO.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Does it really matter anymore?

You should realize that MOST ,i would say 75% of gamer's are playing solo 90% of the time.

We go to watch a football game,we don't include the crowd as part of the team,so i don't include others waltzing by.If you are not interacting with other players and the game does not have you interact with other players,then it is a VERY shallow resemblance of a MMO.

Every single game is incorporating instances,which are no longer part of the MMo world.Automated tools are also not an interaction tool,it facilitates the false pretense that you are part of a group or part of a community.

I think we should just call them online Rpg's or online sci fi games ect ect.For the most part developers seem to forget they are making a ROLE playing game.They do not know how to make an immersive RPG world ,so they go with what is easy,dot some npc's,some creatures,tag quests,generate some terrain and walaa! game time.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BigmamajamaBigmamajama Member Posts: 198
    When are they adding Left4dead to the Game List?
  • TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by Bigmamajama

may i ask u what is a mamajama? :0

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

So what? This site covers many non-mmo game; LOL, D3, WOT, and the list go on and on. These games are close enough to being mmos who care about the label. There are many great games out there that are free and fun that deliver lots of entertainment. Who care if it is mmo or not.

That was my best Nariusseldon impression that I could pull off. I thought I'd save ya the time Nari ;)

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc

may i ask u what is a mamajama? :0

Mamajama

Similar to, but not to be confused with, a brick house. a woman who ain't afraid to use all she's got - and she's got a lot. closest

[mod edit: Fixed that for you.]

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

Woops. looks like I broke the thread. Self reported.

* why can I add myself to my friends list? 

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Originally posted by Cecropia

So what? This site covers many non-mmo game; LOL, D3, WOT, and the list go on and on. These games are close enough to being mmos who care about the label. There are many great games out there that are free and fun that deliver lots of entertainment. Who care if it is mmo or not.

That was my best Nariusseldon impression that I could pull off. I thought I'd save ya the time Nari ;)

I have no issues when MMORPG covering any game they like. At least they are sticking to games that MMO players typically flock too. 

My issue is them calling a 4 player game an MMO. They don't call LoL, D3 or WOT an MMO. They just cover them. No biggie to me. But this time they really screwed up. 

There is another site I have been starting to read. Massively. They have an article that also covers these types of games called "Not so massively", and they don't confuse the readers by calling a 4 or 10 player game an MMO.

If Ultima Forever is an MMO then I would like to submit any game that has 4 players or more as an MMO.

PS, I play Ultima Forever and enjoy it. Have been playing since its early release in Canada.

Good question!!!

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I think MMORPG.COM is in a bit of an awkward spot actually.

When this site first started, MMO's were real MMO's (and men were men, and sheep were afraid, and so on...). There was no ambiguity, the model was clearly defined. MMORPG's were the essence of online gaming.

But online gaming has grown far beyond what it was in 2001-2002. Yet this site's name has become it's brand, even if it increasingly covers a wider scope of gaming forms. MMORPG's as such are almost a niche in the total market these days.

Which is why its reasonable to cover non mmo games on this site.... just don't mis label them. If you are searching for an mmo to play and come across a 4 player game that mmorpg calls an mmo (the devs call it an online rpg), youll be disspointed about being mislead.

We already have a confused minority in the community who think games like lol and dota are mmos (those devs day they arent mmos either), we don't need the source to be as confused as them.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I have to credit EA for at least sticking to their plan that microtransactions are the way of the future.  It's pretty lousy IMO, but apparently it pays out.

Even if people hate the concept, and otherwise see this game as an obamination of the original Ultima franchise, some will still cling to casual games where everything is bought instead of worked for, because that way "I gets to see it all without those Elitists!".

I guess it's sad times for RPG'ers, let alone those who actually remember large scale MMORPG's.

The original Ultima games are available, so they are the ones worth playing (unless you insist on graphics over quality).

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TE5LATE5LA Member UncommonPosts: 46

People care about the labels for the reason that they want to know what type of game it is. For the same reason people who want to play an FPS do not wish to see the "FPS" label on a 3rd-person shooter; It's a different kind of game.

I have been complaining about this for years and if you do research, you'll find that WoT does indeed and always has referred to itself as an MMO. I posted about this in their forums before closed beta took place and at that time, there was to be 60 players, not 30, in the battle at one time. They reduced the number later, apparently to improve performance. Guild Wars, on the other hand, never claimed to be an MMO because it was an instanced-based game. Kudos for them.

An MMO, as it was originally intended, was a game where virtually all the players logged into the server could theoretically gather together in most of the areas where action took place. Unfortunately, this is where lag was born because servers had a hard time handling this, thus a move to games using these instanced areas began cropping up, but they didn't want to lose the "massive" social appeal, which was the main draw of these games.

I think more labels, more specific labels for games would be good for gaming. Just as games like League of Legends, DOTA, and Smite have adopted the term MOBA instead of calling themselves RTS games (which they really are), defining games in more detail would be helpful. I think developers and publishers should get together and agree upon some acronyms. When I'm searching through databases with thousands of games for a 3D medieval-era persistent online multiplayer game, I don't want heavily instanced, match-based, browser based, and 2D games to show up.