Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

why is this game more popular than lets say Vanguard

1235»

Comments

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Syno23
    Originally posted by eddieg50

or Tera or even Tor. I can only think it is because people are graphic worshipers or have some type of idealized thought about FF. Of course when we play these games it is only natural to compare them to others we have played.

I am not saying that ff is a terrible game just bland, ie mediocre. Yes the graphics are much better than the years old Vanguard but the crafting, combat, freedom (zones) diplomacy (one of a kind) exploration value, do not come close to Vanguard. Even Tera-both games have generic quests and both have great graphics but the combat is light years ahead in Tera. Even Tor with its average mmo mechanics has a much better quest system and cut scenes.

I guess what I am asking is How could this game be more popular than Vanguard-beats me? I am guessing it is because we are living in the "Latest and Greatest" generation I do understand the latest, but where is the Greatest?

Come on dude, it's because it's Final Fantasy, one of the best selling series of all time. Being surpassed by only Call of Duty.

Man I just can't do it.  I mean I REALLY could not wait for Diablo 3, but when it finally came out I was like WTH is this!

And that is what I was thinking while I was playing that "Open Beta" for FFXVI last weekend....

I recently played a MMO that is coming out soon, and I can honestly say (no bias bs here) that that game BLOWS FFXIV away in every shape in form.  I mean I really wanted to find things wrong with that game but compared to this, THERE ARE NONE.

I just don't see the love for this game, are people that hard up or something for a decent game?...

I just don't know.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by eddieg50

or Tera or even Tor. I can only think it is because people are graphic worshipers or have some type of idealized thought about FF. Of course when we play these games it is only natural to compare them to others we have played.

I am not saying that ff is a terrible game just bland, ie mediocre. Yes the graphics are much better than the years old Vanguard but the crafting, combat, freedom (zones) diplomacy (one of a kind) exploration value, do not come close to Vanguard. Even Tera-both games have generic quests and both have great graphics but the combat is light years ahead in Tera. Even Tor with its average mmo mechanics has a much better quest system and cut scenes.

I guess what I am asking is How could this game be more popular than Vanguard-beats me? I am guessing it is because we are living in the "Latest and Greatest" generation I do understand the latest, but where is the Greatest?

Because Vanguard was terrible when it launched and still is ? That game was an epic failure, from all its bugs, to lack of content. 

Pretending this is all because of "graphics" is silly. FFXIV does bring some new concepts, but you forget that it all doesnt have to be "new" to be "good". 

People get so damn caught up in that right now "I want new features!" but games that do new things get reamed (SWTOR,TERA, Eq2...etc etc) Simple fact is...mmo players will never be happy.

• evianwaterevianwater Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by teakbois2112
    Did SoE spend as much as S/E?  Probably not, but then they dont have the resources S/E has.  

Wait - SoE is owned by Sony, which is a ~huge~ company. As a total company, they have a revenue in excess of $72 Billion (US). They make everything from Playstations to John Mayer records to Walkmans to Matt Daemon movies to Everquest to OLED screens - and a lot of stuff inbetween.

Square/Enix isn't small by any stretch of the imagination. They have a revnue of around Y128,000 Million (JP) - which is roughly equivalent to around 1.3 Billion US (depending on exchange rates and etc). They are pretty much just a gaming company, with a bit of dabbling in video production.

S/E is less than 1/5 the size of Sony, if your looking at revenue. Sure, we are talking about SoE here, and not Sony as a whole, but you can't just isolate them either, since we are looking at S/E as a whole. SoE, if needed, could and would certainly pull resources and assets from the parent company if it required them and it was warranted.

Just because SOE is owned by Sony doesn't mean they have the resources of Sony dude. SOE is a very small part of Sony and isn't that big a contributer to their profit margin. They aren't given blank checks "Hey go use our billions of dollars to fuck with some MMOs!"

Also..what the hell with the conversion ? 128 million yen is more like 12.8 million US. Your sources are way off. (100 yen = 1 dollar...*very roughly*)

• ShauneepeakShauneepeak Member UncommonPosts: 424
    Originally posted by evianwater
    Originally posted by Ridelynn

Originally posted by teakbois2112
    Did SoE spend as much as S/E?  Probably not, but then they dont have the resources S/E has.  

Wait - SoE is owned by Sony, which is a ~huge~ company. As a total company, they have a revenue in excess of $72 Billion (US). They make everything from Playstations to John Mayer records to Walkmans to Matt Daemon movies to Everquest to OLED screens - and a lot of stuff inbetween.

Square/Enix isn't small by any stretch of the imagination. They have a revnue of around Y128,000 Million (JP) - which is roughly equivalent to around 1.3 Billion US (depending on exchange rates and etc). They are pretty much just a gaming company, with a bit of dabbling in video production.

S/E is less than 1/5 the size of Sony, if your looking at revenue. Sure, we are talking about SoE here, and not Sony as a whole, but you can't just isolate them either, since we are looking at S/E as a whole. SoE, if needed, could and would certainly pull resources and assets from the parent company if it required them and it was warranted.

Just because SOE is owned by Sony doesn't mean they have the resources of Sony dude. SOE is a very small part of Sony and isn't that big a contributer to their profit margin. They aren't given blank checks "Hey go use our billions of dollars to fuck with some MMOs!"

Also..what the hell with the conversion ? 128 million yen is more like 12.8 million US. Your sources are way off. (100 yen = 1 dollar...*very roughly*)

They simply had the conversion backwards LMAO but that is a pretty big mistake to make for a currency like the Yen.

It is currently 1$=¥99. But in general it is always safe to assume $1=¥100 if at a high the Yen tends to not go much over $1=¥115 and that is usually only in very serious instances.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by svann
    FF14 succeeds where vanguard failed because they keep trying.  They failed miserably, but they did not give up.  They were covered in the smelliest crap but they washed themselves off and recoded AND redesigned the whole thing.

Retooling your whole game to be more like WoW is worse than giving up.