Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Taking in questions for Everquest Next interview at Gamescom!

Comments

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Every MMO released in the last several years has experienced a large drop of a player base after the first two or three months.  What are you planning that will keep people playing for a much longer period of time?
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Thanks for asking OP!

"What percentage of content is planned for solo, +1, +2, full group, etc and will there be servers or manual adjusters to make content harder?"
  • ReznechekReznechek Member Posts: 11
    Thanks radarhead. Will you please ask if there any more unannounced races in development to be available at release, particularly the Iksar, and if so how far along are they to being revealed?
  • EeksEeks Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Reznechek
    Thanks radarhead. Will you please ask if there any more unannounced races in development to be available at release, particularly the Iksar, and if so how far along are they to being revealed?

Dave Georgeson tweeted this yesterday in regards to this 

@SkippyPotomus we haven't announced a definitive list yet. Listening to feedback. :)

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Simple and short, one of the most debated questions so far:

"Why did you choose to go with a more cartoon based art-style that doesn't fit with the Everquest Franchise?"

I pick this one too. But if it you phrase it like that, they will just tell us about SOEmote and the uncanny valley again. I would phrase it like this:

"What do want to say to the large number of players that dislike the new cartoon based art style?"

and in addition:

"Are the character models subject to change, or are they final?"

and:

"Do you think the characters shown during the reveal represent the general art style of the game?"

• TibbzTibbz Member UncommonPosts: 613

This will be best IF they release any information regarding PVP;

Will Player/guild housing be instanced or part of the world as a claimable space?  Can it be taken over or destroyed by "opposing" forces?  

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Hopefully you don't take half the quesitons these people are suggesting seriously.  1/2 of the questions have been answered, the other are pointless (I.E. why did SOE choose this art style).

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by Sengi
    Originally posted by BearKnight

Simple and short, one of the most debated questions so far:

"Why did you choose to go with a more cartoon based art-style that doesn't fit with the Everquest Franchise?"

I pick this one too. But if it you phrase it like that, they will just tell us about SOEmote and the uncanny valley again. I would phrase it like this:

"What do want to say to the large number of players that dislike the new cartoon based art style?"

and in addition:

"Are the character models subject to change, or are they final?"

and:

"Do you think the characters shown during the reveal represent the general art style of the game?"

Yes, hopefully they start off the questions with "hey why aren't you listening to the vocal minority that has a problem with somethings that is so objective wants you to change the first thing you probably decided on when creating this game."

I'm sure they will score extra minutes for the interview with that started....

Originally posted by jerlot65
    Hopefully you don't take half the quesitons these people are suggesting seriously.  1/2 of the questions have been answered, the other are pointless (I.E. why did SOE choose this art style).

Thank you, and I hope no one takes your posts serious because they are pointless. :D

The fact that there is a vocal minority on this forum that wants to shut down every discussion about the art style only shows how important and controversial this topic is. 

• FinalFikusFinalFikus Member Posts: 906
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

1. Will growing food/crops have meaning and will the game show crops growing over time?
    2. Will there be player trade to the extent that caravans will be useful?
    3. Will there be player ships? Customizable?
    4. Will players be able to wear an assortment of customizable clothing items over their armor?
    5. Will players be able to carry torches and lanterns in their hand?
    6. Will players be able to drop items in the world? Any and all, or just certain things?
    7. Travel systems?
    8. Will players be able to write their own books inside the game (i.e. not something created in Landmark).
    9. Will there be collectable books and scrolls detailing lore, simple proverbs and tales, and some containing mystery clues?
    10. Will there be items in the world that offer clues to greater mysteries?
    11. Will there be things like crystal balls with magical properties?
    12. Will there be overhead speech?
    And about story/lore...will there be deep story plots and mysteries that players can work on? I don't mean A-B-C quests, I mean mysteries to figure out that have meaning in forms of treasure, plot interception, and things like that.

About the world in general...will they get down and dirty with "worldly" interaction in the likeness of D+D P+P gaming? This goes along with the idea of dropping items in the game world, but goes farther with mechanical stuff like levers, buttons, drawbridges, secret doors, trap doors, lighting candles, dropping things on pressure plates, picking locks, puzzle mechanics, etc.

Thanks for any help in understanding what this game world will be and play like.

Any of those questions would be great. What kind of sandbox is this?

"If the Damned gave you a roadmap, then you'd know just where to go"

• AndraviusAndravius Member UncommonPosts: 82

1.  Will you be using anything directly resembling or close to the dance, and music systems from Star Wars Galaxies?

2.  Will tobacco and smoking with associated pipe animations (like LOTRO) be in the game or will the game rating restrict this?

3.  Will we be able to vote via round table on the layout of Qeynos, Freeport and the racial cities i.e. devs present 4 planned layouts with the fan base voting on which layout to use?

4.  Will Station Pass subscribers get any special treatment for being regular paying customers?

5.  Will EQN be included in Station Pass?

6.  Which continents will be included at release?

7.  Any plans to add an optional Dwarf Fortress mode to Landmark where you can build a working dwarf city with workshops, and food growing with goblin/orc/kobold invasions with the added danger of breaking into caverns filled with ancient super beasts and nasty critters?

• Victor_KrugerVictor_Kruger Member UncommonPosts: 280

Thank you, and I hope no one takes your posts serious because they are pointless. :D

The fact that there is a vocal minority on this forum that wants to shut down every discussion about the art style only shows how important and controversial this topic is. 

They already talk about the art style and why the chose it and yes those that don't like it our the minority. The art style is not changing because it appeals to millions of players who don't mind stylized graphics. 

Originally posted by Victor_Kruger

They already talk about the art style and why the chose it and yes those that don't like it our the minority. The art style is not changing because it appeals to millions of players who don't mind stylized graphics. 

I was not asking why the graphics are stylized but because they are cartoony, that's a difference. I guess most people are not asking for diehard realistic graphics, its just the Disney-look that bothers them.

How can you say the majority of players likes the art style. All I can see is that both camps reasonably large. Furthermore, I believe that pretty much everyone who is fine with the graphics, would like less cartoony graphics as well. I never heard someone saying something like: "I always wanted Everquest to look like a Disney movie."

I was not asking why the graphics are stylized but because they are cartoony, that's a difference. I guess most people are not asking for diehard realistic graphics, its just the Disney-look that bothers them.

How can you say the majority of players likes the art style. All I can see is that both camps reasonably large. Furthermore, I believe that pretty much everyone who is fine with the graphics, would like less cartoony graphics as well. I never heard someone saying something like: "I always wanted Everquest to look like a Disney movie."

Most mmo players are playing or have played WoW and it was a cartoon. SOE is going after that demographic that contains millions of players that don't mind that kind of art and they got a whole big market of Free Realm kids to sell the game too as they get older. They want to branch into comics and other things and they are going after the next generations of gamers, they are taking the fight to Blizzard guns blazing.

Most mmo players are playing or have played WoW and it was a cartoon. SOE is going after that demographic that contains millions of players that don't mind that kind of art and they got a whole big market of Free Realm kids to sell the game too as they get older. They want to branch into comics and other things and they are going after the next generations of gamers, they are taking the fight to Blizzard guns blazing.

If they are going for the Free Realms crowd, everything is lost. Oh I just noticed Rosie Rappaport did that art too. You are not going for that Rosie, are you?

While the Free Realms kids grew older, they probably don't want anything associated with Free Realms anymore. I thought nothing can ever be gritty and violent enough for the 14-18 demographic.

If they are going for the Free Realms crowd, everything is lost. Oh I just noticed Rosie Rappaport did that art too. You are not going for that Rosie, are you?

While the Free Realms kids grew older, they probably don't want anything associated with Free Realms anymore. I thought nothing can ever be gritty and violent enough for the 14-18 demographic.

Non-Sense Blizzard made billions off the 14-18 year demographic with a Cartoon game that is often light hearted and silly. 

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by BBPD766
    Originally posted by Stiler

Thank you for asking us for questions.

A few I can think of:

1. Are there going to be mounts in EQN?  If so will mounted combat make a return? What about flying mounts?

2.  Why the choice not to allow rallying calls to be played at from different angles? For example, if you have a rallying call to build a city and the orcs attack that city at one point during the rallying call, why can't a player who's gained faction with the Orcs side with them and help the orcs instead? How will rallying calls play out "differently" as was mentioned if players don't actually get to make these kinds of choices?

3. Can you detail any about the crafting and customization of weapons and armour?

4. Speaking of crafting SWG was brought up as an example of EQN going even further then that, will players get to run their own shops like in SWG and will they be non-instanced? I felt this greatly added to the social aspect of the game.

5. With combat is there any chance we will get a combo system? Something similar to say Kingdoms of Amalur? Like say you have your 4 weapon skills, however with the combo system those 4 skills can have more moves to them depending on what buttons you press and the timing that you press them? For example, if you block and press your 1st weapon skill you get "x" attack, however if you dash and then press the same weapon skill you get another different attack?

Thanks again, looking forward to seeing what details you can get out of them.

They never said you couldn't do this.

Yes, in the Q&A panel someone asked about going "against" rallying calls, if you could be on the "other side" and go against the call , they consider people fighting against a rally call from happening as griefing and said it won't happen.

• BBPD766BBPD766 Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by BBPD766

Thank you for asking us for questions.

A few I can think of:

1. Are there going to be mounts in EQN?  If so will mounted combat make a return? What about flying mounts?

2.  Why the choice not to allow rallying calls to be played at from different angles? For example, if you have a rallying call to build a city and the orcs attack that city at one point during the rallying call, why can't a player who's gained faction with the Orcs side with them and help the orcs instead? How will rallying calls play out "differently" as was mentioned if players don't actually get to make these kinds of choices?

3. Can you detail any about the crafting and customization of weapons and armour?

4. Speaking of crafting SWG was brought up as an example of EQN going even further then that, will players get to run their own shops like in SWG and will they be non-instanced? I felt this greatly added to the social aspect of the game.

5. With combat is there any chance we will get a combo system? Something similar to say Kingdoms of Amalur? Like say you have your 4 weapon skills, however with the combo system those 4 skills can have more moves to them depending on what buttons you press and the timing that you press them? For example, if you block and press your 1st weapon skill you get "x" attack, however if you dash and then press the same weapon skill you get another different attack?

Thanks again, looking forward to seeing what details you can get out of them.

They never said you couldn't do this.

Yes, in the Q&A panel someone asked about going "against" rallying calls, if you could be on the "other side" and go against the call , they consider people fighting against a rally call from happening as griefing and said it won't happen.

You may want to watch that again.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

This has been a topic of debate:

We have heard that EQN was designed without encouragement of a formal "holy trinity" system. We have also heard from the StoryBricks folks that the need for a trinity was supplanted by more advanced AI.

Can you please explain specifically how the combat system would work with this new AI, and how the trinity is no longer required?

• xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141
    PvP information :) anything would be lovely... some reason i think it will be a reveal of its own though and  during a special event/time...
  • Role_playerRole_player Member Posts: 33

I think Rallying Calls are/is the evolution of the basic/standard/main story-line everybody knows in which each player can follow it if he/she wants grow up, go further in game with a sort of more common/linear  way that is the well known vertical progression!

We have no more esclamation points on the heads! but the Calls show us the way to not get lost in that huge world.

I think it works so and the others can enjoy the new horizzontal free progression instead of pre-generated quests.

A lot of people are underlining the fact that R.Calls give us no real free choices and it's truth because that is a

mass-server-mainstory-vertical-line-quest in which the choices are in one sense but needs the cooperation of a lot of players!

Don't worry about that I'm sure there are tons of freedom/free choices/a life of consequenses into the game as well!

Concerning a question at GAMESCOM: I'd like to know more about Alignments, Death and their consequenses...

Thanks a lot

• matixzunmatixzun Member Posts: 24
    Aside from having different possible ways to advance a rallying call, How about also having different possible outcomes? That way players aren't only shaping the world, they also decide which way the world will be shaped.
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by keenber

In the off chance they don't just say "we ain't ready to discuss that yet" I have just one question.

Now that you have deserted your loyal SWG and EQ fans do you ever intend to make another game that we may enjoy playing again?

Haha! An awkward pause followed by an annoyed response guaranteed!

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

Actually, I've said exactly that several times over the years. Not pertaining to EQN or any game in particular. But when I said it I was thinking just like you are saying. Disney made some more realistic stuff over the years. For example, in Guliver's Travels, while the little folk looked like the dwarves from Snow White, the prince and princess looked like Snow White in that "realistic" cartoon fashion. That's more of what I was thinking.

But if it's too late, it's too late. It's not really that big of a mistake if the game is a great Sandbox world to run around in.

I do wish they'd downsize those shoulder pads and a few weapons and stuff, some of it is overly large and makes the art look even more cartoony.

Once upon a time....

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    1) Can you actively work against a rally call if you oppose it? If so, how?
    2) PvP.... Tell us more.
    3) Whenever asked about the trinity you talk about removing tanks. Will there be specialist healing and support classes?