Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] WildStar: Revenue Model Revealed

Comments

• seegeekrunseegeekrun Member Posts: 10
    Considering that the game has been in development since 2011, it's difficult to get worked up over the release being pushed by another quarter.
  • DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    Originally posted by loupokami

This is fantastic news! Now I just need to play it to see if it's any good lol. I was hoping that this would be subscription based to keep those annoying cash shops away. Whenever I play a game with a cash shop, it feels like a good portion of the game is inaccessible to me unless I pay huge amounts of money for things I should be getting as rare drops. That's what makes a game fun, never really knowing what you will pull off a dead mob, not what you can get off the item shop. 

TL;DR Most of the people that enjoy F2P models are exactly the type of people I could care less to encounter in a game I play. And all F2P games out right now suck major ass. 

Seems to me, your problem has been game quality, not payment model, since most of the games you mentioned started as sub only and could not maintain a sub model due to players leaving, and had to switch to f2p to survive.

• NasaNasa Member UncommonPosts: 739
    Now I know that I don't want to be in the beta, as I dont like p2p anyway

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    Does not offer enough of what I like in a game to sub. Hard set classes with no freedom to multiclass on one char, 1 role on 1 char... naaaaa! Also this game is focused on the hardcore raiding guilds and I am a casual game with to much real life going on to sub to a game like that. Sub is a fail for me on this game, maybe not for another game that likes my casual play style. 
  • meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    I guess I'll be waiting another year for the inevitable freemium conversion of Wildstar before I play it. I don't see anything that makes me want to pay a monthly sub for it at this point on top of the retail box/digital download. Oh well. Next game....

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• brihtwulfbrihtwulf Member UncommonPosts: 975
    I'm all for the OPTIONAL subscriptions, like in Rift or SWTOR.  But I certainly won't be paying $60 AND a subscription to play a game when there are SO MANY other options out there right now that don't charge that amount.  WoW continues to stick to their guns with the subscription model, and they are losing almost a million players per quarter.  Rift has skyrocketed since changing to a hybrid model.  I really feel this game is destined for failure with their current plan.  I no longer have any plans to play Wildstar.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by IceAge
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Illyssia
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

WildStar Online will not be Free-to-Play. It won’t be Buy-to-Play like Guild Wars 2, either. What does that leave, boys and girls? That’s right, you heard it here first: WildStar will operate via the classic subscription model, with a tasty EVE-like caveat Carbine is calling CREDD.  

CREDD means that your real world credit card can be used, by web purchase and an in game mechanism, to gain game gold, but without putting money into the wallets of the gold farmers of the world, and instead putting the dough straight into NCsoft's bank account. Guys, this is a box purchase buy-to-win game, with a sub system that you can opt out of by gaining enough in-game gold.  It is so NCsoft a business model, and they can still patch in the full-on cash shop later to make even more money for themselves.  

Couldn't agree more. No way will I pay a sub in a game that has the ability to "buy gold" from the publisher.

But then is OK to buy gold from gold farmers hm? Say that to WoW's face. Say that to Eve, who's business model is almost the same as WS.

So, if WildStar is "pay to win" , then Wow and every other game out there, who has gold sellers, are also P2W...

Am I right?

No, you aren't

Gold selling is banable in WoW, it's done but not on the scale this will be done. Look at GW2's economy. very few items not associated with precursors has any value. When you say "Gold farmer" that's a cop out. Far far fewer players in WoW actually purchase gold as compared with sanctioned gold selling by the publisher. In fact, of all the years I played WoW, I've only known of 2 people who did so. (Well admitted to it anyway) most were afraid of bans and hacks. For the average WoW player, it simply isn't worth the risk.

AS far as EVE goes. EVE is a niche game. It has a far smaller unique player base than it has active subs. There are 2 reasons that this works for EVE and may not work as well elsewhere. EVE has the ability to command multiple accounts from it's players. IT's good at what it does. Will players want multiple accounts in Wild star? The whole premise of PLEX is to allow the more successful players to have their alts subsidized buy other players.

Think about it. Would EVE ever be brought up as the success story it is if it's current active unique player base  each only had one account? Hell no, the game would barely have a 6 figure subscription base, if not less.

The 2nd reason it works for EVE is because the economy was 5 years matured before introducing real money. This won't be the case with Wild Star, so it will never have a chance to grow past the value of the Dollar.

• BrooksTechBrooksTech Member Posts: 163
    F2P is a trend that is nearing the end of its run.  I, for one, am very happy about this.
  • TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    If the game is fun I will pay. At least all development will be toward improving the world and not ew cash shop items. LOVE GW/ but am sick of new weapon skins.
  • Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    Originally posted by BrooksTech
    F2P is a trend that is nearing the end of its run.  I, for one, am very happy about this.

Me too. Less subsidized gaming. It's gotten pretty bad. Like the F2P'ers think we'll just keep giving the game companies money so that they can play...well it won't happen buddy.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad
    Wow. That is two AAA MMO's that are coming out that use the subscription model. I couldn't be happier as I despise the F2P / B2P cash shop model. There are obviously a lot of other people that feel the same way too. 

How many AAA MMo's have actually released as F2P in the last five years? Not many. Most have been box+sub at the beginning, Rift, TOR, Tera, TSW, etc. The only aaa-games I can think of that released as no sub were Neverwinter, GW2 and Ps2. Prior just about every AAA released as box+sub.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

You're forgetting about the upcoming big-kids on the block, EQn and Titan, both of which are slated for F2P.

Originally posted by Psion33

Me too. Less subsidized gaming. It's gotten pretty bad. Like the F2P'ers think we'll just keep giving the game companies money so that they can play...well it won't happen buddy.

F2P will eventually have to go P2W to survive. Either that or serious content paywall restrictions. Why else would anyone ever want to spend money? Why would I pay money to a game that someone else isn't unless my overall experience in that game ins't far better off having done so? 

There isn't a reason. Like I said before. I really have to question just how profitable GW2 really is. (or isn't) for NCSOFT to abandon the B2P model like this. 

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Team Subscription!

As an EVE player for many years, WOOHOO CREDD and PLEX are amazing. I can't believe every game doesn't use a such a system. You aren't buying gold from the company you are buying it from players.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

Originally posted by Distopia

You're forgetting about the upcoming big-kids on the block, EQn and Titan, both of which are slated for F2P.

I think SoE's got this one figured out. They will make a huge killing on Landmark while EQN is still in full hype. Landmark will fund both EQN and SoE's next project long before SoE has to worry about EQN's business model. Frankly, it's fckn brilliant!

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    While this should be an interesting (and hopefully good) decision, I give it not too long (between several months and a year) before they add in a B2P or F2P option.

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• seegeekrunseegeekrun Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by doug200463
    Originally posted by Psion33

Oh, the tears being shed here...makes me so happy.

Go Wildstar!  It's like  "ruh roh. Did the 'whales' win?" 

Bahaha. :)

I guess you havnt learned yet... Your gonna run out and pay 60 bux for a game you do not own, and in 6 months to a year, they will give away what you paid 60 bux for... cuse its happend over and over and over.. and people like you keep falling for it  plain and simple, there are more people who prefer f2p/b2p than there is people who enjoy a sub...

Enjoy!

Unless you have some data to back up your claim, Doug, perhaps avoid making such statements.

To be honest, I've found most F2P/B2P games to be heavily PVP based, which just isn't my preference. I enjoy sandbox, PVE content with rich story, challenges and questing.  Not being the first person to figure out the latest exploit or bug to a map or battleground. I'm looking forward to Wildstar specifically because it takes much of the learned models from Warcraft, but rather than mistakenly copying them, they've put thought in how or why it works (or doesn't work).

So, I'm glad to see that they've opted to go subscription based. It gives upfront resources for future content as well as prevents lazy trolls from drawing away from the gaming experience.

And to the point about paying over and over. Let me say-- if you have an Xbox Live subscription and the are constantly buying this game or that, how is that any different. I would argue that the shear amount of content in Warcraft and what will be in Wildstar would dwarf the total combined content of all of those console games. Does make it more or less valid? No.

But the point is, that to have access to quality, rich, relevant content for a nominal monthly fee _without being nagging to spend more_ is worth it to enough people to make the subscription model viable.

If the product is good, people will pay for it.

• Psion33Psion33 Member Posts: 248
    @Torvaldr, my same mentality on GW2, just different game name. :)
  • gunmanvladgunmanvlad Member UncommonPosts: 281

I wonder if "Spring 2014" will be March 2014 or more like end of May 2014...I would have much rather liked an "Early 2014" release date. In all fairness, it would have been high improbable for them to release this year given the slow beta progress and the release of new consoles in November-December.

Otherwise, subscription sounds nice if they can actually deliver. They don't have the big IP like WoW or FF:XIV to back them up, so it will be 100% on the gameplay. If they can deliver...cool!

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858

Titan was confirmed as not being sub based, but they mentioned nothing about it being "F2P".

Originally posted by MadDemon64
    While this should be an interesting (and hopefully good) decision, I give it not too long (between several months and a year) before they add in a B2P or F2P option.

I didn't read the details but it did say there was a F2P option through Credd or whatever they called it.

• MagicabbageMagicabbage Member Posts: 93

Well that settles it. I won't be getting it. I have so many quality games that are F2P that there is no reason to pay a monthly fee. That model is old and dated. The typical "13.99" a month? Really? Why not some random arbitrary number like 5.99? It's not the price that makes me shy away. It's the fact that I don't want to pay anything unless I want some "skins" or mounts or housing stuff or bag slots.

The game looks great and fun and I don't care if the game is a "WoW clone" (I hate that term)

I am kind of happy this is their model choice. It's one less game I have to worry about getting. With Elder Scrolls Online and EQNext on the horizon I can just now follow them.

Peace!

Originally posted by doodphace

Titan was confirmed as not being sub based, but they mentioned nothing about it being "F2P".

You were saying?

http://www.gamebreaker.tv/mmorpg/blizzards-titan-looking-at-a-f2p-model/

"Blizzard’s Upcoming MMO, Titan, will have a free to play model!"

• THEchad88THEchad88 Member Posts: 38
    Originally posted by BearKnight

I've said it before, and i'll say it again. If World of Warcraft would be more successful on the "F2P" or "B2P" system it would move to those systems. Blizzard KNOWS how the game is played. Well done, high quality, products do NOT go into the F2P or B2P markets, you just don't make the same returns as P2P and you keep undesirables out.

Good on you WildStar, although you're a WoW clone I'm slightly more tempted to try you now.

....slightly

GW2 is high quality with a B2P model so how can only P2P games be "HIGH QUALITY" and none else are?

Any game no matter its payment model will do well if it manages to grab the attention of players, gets them to play, and keeps them coming back for more.

I'm of the belief that your payment model really only deters most people at initial buy. How many people didn't want to pay per month with WoW and eventually caved in?

Think about how many people decide not to start playing a sub game because they don't think its worth it or if they'll like it right away. OR, what about players who are already paying for a subscription game and just don't want another because they've vested too much time in their first title? A lot of these things are why F2P / B2P models have been working. It gives players an easier choice to play their game.

That being said people DO pay for what they feel is really worth it or what they just have to play right now.

The big question is does WILDSTAR have the buzz to build up an initial player base and make them WANT to play it. AND keep playing it. If they do the P2P will work because of that. From my experience in playing a lil bit of WILDSTAR the game looks pretty, but the quest method is still a bit too tired and old. Dynamic events are the way to go. The method of travel for the future. Companies need to expand on that idea much more I think. Go cinematic, suck us in with crazy movie-esqe story events. Then we'll talk ;)

Also, well done, high quality games DO go to B2P and F2P models. SWTOR anyone?

• doodphacedoodphace Member UncommonPosts: 1,858
    Originally posted by Magicabbage

Well that settles it. I won't be getting it. I have so many quality games that are F2P that there is no reason to pay a monthly fee. That model is old and dated. The typical "13.99" a month? Really? Why not some random arbitrary number like 5.99? It's not the price that makes me shy away. It's the fact that I don't want to pay anything unless I want some "skins" or mounts or housing stuff or bag slots.

The game looks great and fun and I don't care if the game is a "WoW clone" (I hate that term)

I am kind of happy this is their model choice. It's one less game I have to worry about getting. With Elder Scrolls Online and EQNext on the horizon I can just now follow them.

Peace!

Why do you worry about getting a game? Its literally people like you, who hop form F2P game to F2P game and utterly kill the community, that P2P gamers are hoping to avoide. This isnt Call of Duty or Unreal Tournament....