Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"so probably not the naked corpse run."

2»

Comments

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Karteli

It would seem so.  To the WoW generation / console generation, that is hyper realism.  The only 1-up from that would be perma death, which is what happens to game titles that implement this.

Did anyone actually implement it except for on a single server? I know Salem is supposed to have it but I never heard it getting released or anything about it at all the last year or so.

Funny enough do CCP believe that perma death works in some circumstances, WoDO will have that if you get killed with a bloodhunt on you.

Permadeath do not work in a EQ game as the general settingbecause the games are too combat focused and you would simply be forced to constantly roll new characters unless you play really great but I do think it will work in some specific game under some circomstances. But since so little of it actually been tried we can't actually be 100% sure of anything except that EQ next wont have it.

Well, SOE published Wizardry Online, a terrific ruination of the game I once loved. =D

The "game" SOE put out has perma death, with a cash-shop opt-out-death option (it's there, too long to explain).  I think the original Apple IIe 1985 version was more fun, honestly.

I also prefer no perma death in any EQ game.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    If SOE actually had the lack of common sense and sheer balls to put both perma-death and FFA PVP in EQN I would LMAO.  Game would be an epic market fail but a splursion of self destructive epeen fatalicide in the mean time.
  • arbacusarbacus Member UncommonPosts: 41

I can see a corpse run in this game but something different to work well with the multiclassing:

Soandso has class A and class B.

Soandso dies as class A leaves a body. He also gets a timeout from using that class, but he can use another class like his class B.

Soandso has the choice to wait out the time for class A or use class B and or the help of some pals to retreive this body to play class A right away again.

• Jagsman32Jagsman32 Member Posts: 109

Really hoping its a combination of SWG and DAoC.

Once you die, you leave behind a gravestone or corpse(but no equipment, or maybe just money) that you have the option of recovering for lost xp(and dropped money). Also, dying causes a permenant stat point penalty until you recover from it by interacting with the community, like listening to a bard in a tavern or at rangers droppable campsite. One can dream...

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by Jagsman32

Once you die, you leave behind a gravestone or corpse(but no equipment, or maybe just money) that you have the option of recovering for lost xp(and dropped money). Also, dying causes a permenant stat point penalty until you recover from it by interacting with the community, like listening to a bard in a tavern or at rangers droppable campsite. One can dream...

Sounds like a good idea, but then you would have people complaining they are forced to go back to town when they don't want to.. So then the devs would have to give certain sills to select classes like REZ that removes those negative penalties.. And with the multi class thing, everyone will end up rezing themselves.. LOL  So why bother..  My gut tells me that corpse run will be treated the same as travel.. TOO MUCH of an inconvenience for players that just want to blindly hack and slash mobs like "whack a mole"..  /shrug

EDIT: which is kinda funny, because wasn't it the devs that bashed "whack a mole" mechanics, but they are going down that same path..  pot calling the kettle black.. LOL

• Jagsman32Jagsman32 Member Posts: 109
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by Jagsman32

Sounds like a good idea, but then you would have people complaining they are forced to go back to town when they don't want to.. So then the devs would have to give certain sills to select classes like REZ that removes those negative penalties.. And with the multi class thing, everyone will end up rezing themselves.. LOL  So why bother..  My gut tells me that corpse run will be treated the same as travel.. TOO MUCH of an inconvenience for players that just want to blindly hack and slash mobs like "whack a mole"..  /shrug

It is sad that companies like SOE, that developed MMO community masterpieces in EQ and SWG (yes masterpieces) now cater to the lowest common denominators and children with ADHD. I am hoping that SOE and its developers take a long, hard look at what kind of game they are making and make the right choices. Challenge, fun, depth, social, and rewarding.

• ChieftanChieftan Member UncommonPosts: 1,188
    Been playing Project 1999 and the effect CR has on your approach is not to be underestimated lol. Between that and exp loss you really have to relearn how to be tactful in your adventures. It also brings the importance of buffs and grouping back to the forefront.

Honestly without that penalty and your relative weakness to exp-giving mobs...there in NO challenge, NO consequence and ultimately very little satisfaction from playing through content.

It really is simple as that. Take away the penalty and sting of death and you're right to WOW and every other MMO over the past 10 years.

My youtube MMO gaming channel

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

Naked corpse runs were the one thing I hated most in EQ1 . . . 

Hope to never see those again.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Karteli

SOE said that ultra dark nights were a denial of service.  [In my words they may have well have said players who use their game were low intelligence and too stupid to think for themselves].  Everything is being dumbed down for consoles.  Hence why console champions were picked to defend Norrath!  Flop classes left and right!   

What they actually said before you turned it into cynic nonsense made perfect sense, and had absolutely nothing to do with consoles whatsoever. As another poster observed before, you 're just hearing/reading/imagining what you want at this point. 

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

This is the internet and an MMO.

Corpse run or not, people are going to be running around naked.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• LidaneLidane Member CommonPosts: 2,300
    Originally posted by Margrave

Naked corpse runs were the one thing I hated most in EQ1 . . . 

Hope to never see those again.

Agreed. Naked corpse runs sucked ass. One of my most hated mechanics from EQ1.

I'd much rather gain an XP debt on death and lose a percentage of my effectiveness until it's paid.

• Univers0Univers0 Member UncommonPosts: 30
    Corpse runs are frustrating and more often than not due to a lag spike.