Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you prefer to have 'your own gender' character, opposite or are you not bothered?

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    I almost always create a male character. I don't think it matters but it usually makes more sense to me. I have seen on a number of occassions people referring to female characters as "she". It would bother me if people referred to me as a "she".

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• ZeroPointNRGZeroPointNRG Member Posts: 70

Usually in MMO's, for my main character, I'll roll a male, (I'm male). It never bothers me if guys role female toons though, I couldn't care less. If they think that a certain race/class combo looks awesome as a female character, then that's fine with me. Female heroes can be awesome too. 

I once saw someone write that you're supposed to roll a character that you would want to be. Hmm, I want to be a lot of things in life, (responsible, healthy, financially stable, hard working, intelligent, etc., etc.,), but wielding a weapon and fighting awful monsters to the death isn't anything I'm interested in in real life. The idea that your hero needs to somehow be some expression of yourself, (or somebody you would want to be), has no basis in reality. 

• iRelsiRels Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Voqar

I used to always make all male characters.

I now almost always make all female characters.

It's kind of funny.  I installed and fired up VGSOH the other day and all my old characters were male and I was like, wow, it's been a LONG time since I've played this.

45.  Married to a hottie.  Thoroughly straight.

I'm not sure why exactly.  I guess I prefer looking at the female form more than I do looking at the male form.  Playing a cutesy male character doesn't do anything for me.

I'm not against RP and I'm not really into RP.  To me, my avatar is something for displaying gear and is a bag of stats and skills.  I don't consider my character to be an extension of me.

I like my characters to look good but I'm not like "ooh, these are some smexy pixels," because I do have RL involvement with another human and I'm not depraved like so many basement dwellers with zero hope of intimate interacts with other humans.

I don't care what other players do with the gender of their avatars.  I do wish I could delete the accounts of people that give their avatars stupid, clever, offensive, religious, drug-related, or otherwise immersion destroying names.  In a game with a sub, I expect better than F2P doodtopia.

Your age says much, hah. Sorry but the candy still tastes good? After being chewed so many times? Not that I've any real experience in that, really... Yet knowledge doesn't needs to necessarily be earned through actual experience in the age we live now, huh?

Seriously, if you want to see real people, you can go out. So if you're in front of a screen, you'd naturally want to see something else.

And why do you "want"? 'Cause you like. Some others even prefer.

• LawlmonsterLawlmonster Member UncommonPosts: 1,085
    I prefer playing males, and generally enjoy male leads in my varied entertainment over female leads. With RPG's specifically, I like being able to relate with my character, and I find that easier playing my own gender. What trumps all of this is my desire for my character to look "cool", and if the male model for a character is blocky and dumb in appearance, I'd rather use the female model if it's an improvement.

"This is life! We suffer and slave and expire. That's it!" -Bernard Black (Dylan Moran)

• itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if I plan on doing RP on a character i'll make it male.  if not, i'll usually but not always make female. i tend to like the models better (i'm male in FF14 though because i liked the male lalafell model better than the female).

IRL male, straight.

i will never try to mislead a person on a female character to make them think i'm IRL female.  i consider it to be cruel hearted to do that.

in pencils and paper RPG, i've been known to run female characters, as have most, almost all, of the guys in my local RPG circle.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    I just pick the one with the phallus and get into the hot action of gaming.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

PnP games I always played males because I didn't want to rp a female.

MMOs I mostly pick females unless the males look very imposing/evil SWTOR was the last time I played a male character. My sith warrior looked awesome.

so I guess if the game doesn't let you do awesome, I go for hot :)

• SmoeySmoey Member UncommonPosts: 599

I make a guy... and I am a guy.

Each to their own.

(\ /) ?
    ( . .)
    c('')('')

• aspectofgoreaspectofgore Member Posts: 17
    Always play female chars these days, mostly because women are cooler than men.

• CalypsxCalypsx Member Posts: 38

Depends what I want to go for thematically or when i'm making my own story or designs.

I usually wont play a female character if they are just fanservice material though. This game is pretty good about it's gender equality when it comes to armor though.

I just couldn't resist the male cats though, they are just way too cute.

Also high heels will also automatically turn me away from a character usually.

• Kayo45Kayo45 Member Posts: 293
    I only play female when the males look or animate horribly. So far the only game ive really mained a fem is Age of Conan. The rest were only alts I never really played very far... usually a healer. FFXIV will be human male.
  • twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Indifferent - I choose based on overall aesthetics, what suits my concept characters, etc.

In FFXIV, I had a difficult time choosing between a male and female character, especially keeping in mind that I was going to be using only 1 character in this game, and I ultimately settled on a male, but that decision had little, if anything, to do with the fact that society would consider my gender male. I hardly care what society dictates, especially in cases like this.

And yes, anyone who thinks everyone has any strong reason to purposely match their avatar gender with their own, socially-decreed, gender consistently is seriously confused.

• logicwarlogicwar Member UncommonPosts: 69
    only times i have played a female char is when a game as made me to play a class. i am male so i play male.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I pick it based on the aesthetic and what type of class I am making. Usually my casters and healers are female, tanks and scouts male, but can vary depending on what type of character I want. There is nothing sexual about my choice of gender in a MMO, its all about the character.
  • xanthmetisxanthmetis Member UncommonPosts: 141

I am a male and play both.  In games before WoW I played male toons.  However, I felt the wow males were to muscular and unrealistic so I made female toons.  Then I got attached to several of the names.  In my current mmo I have one male and four females simply bc im attached to my long term names.

I never thought about how ppl would think of you any different in game though.  Why would they its a game.  And the majority of actual player are males irl anyways.  Besides I am one of those ppl who dont really judge people irl as male or female just as who they are and how they act.  Its a bit of a progressive way of thinking.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Female Dwarves, because no one else plays 'em.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Icewhite

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• CoatedCoated Member UncommonPosts: 507

Oddly enough, people have become much more associated with their online presence than in the past, Which I find very strange. In the past, people were fully aware that 'sex' mattered very little. In fact, they purposely disregarded it out of fear of talking to some sick ass old man jack'in in while pretending to be a girl. The kids today grew up in a different internet world. To them, the online world does not lie. They almost trust online persona's more than they do real life ones. The world is truly becoming disconnected, in a RL sense.

As for myself, I use both Male and Female characters. The 'sex' does not matter so much as the armor and animations that the character comes stocked with. I'll choose female characters sometimes because of their animations, or because the armor sets appear more proportionate. I can't count how many times the Guy characters are far too bulky.

Either way, if you are logging into this game and 'don't' like that Males are rolling female characters, then I consider you a part of that 'new generation'. The generation of Justin Bieber, E-harmony, Facebook, etc. The kids today take way to much at face value and that does not translate well into the internet environment.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    [mod edit]

For me, most of the characters I play in an MMO are pretty much the equivalent of that little white blob at the bottom of my screen in space invaders or the little tin item I'm moving around the board in Monopoly. That character, in most cases, isn't me but just my piece in the game.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Angelxx
    Just asking out of curiosity, do you usually stick to creating your-own-gender character?

im male, and in video games i only create male characters when i like the character models. In FF14 i only like Female Characters. It depends on the game. In GW2 i have male asura and female other races. In WoW i have both as well. Same for many games. If i dont like the character models of one specific gender i dont touch that gender. (you will never see me rolling a male dwarf or Bahmi in Rift, not in a million years)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Icewhite

i have one of those in Rift :) but the male dwarves in Rift look like malformed monkeys

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

Mod seems to have removed my post, but I think the point I made in it was important. The only way someone could have an major issue with any player choosing an avatar of the 'opposite gender', is if they assume that:

1) There is no meaningful distinction to be made between anatomical 'sex' and 'gender',

2) that anatomy is supposed to be an essential feature of one's innermost identity, the way they think of themselves, and

3) that everyone's virtual avatar must 'represent' that essential self such that it somehow reflects those outwardly observable features of the player's body.

These are all very backwards assumptions to make, in my view. The fewer people hold onto these biases, the less this will be considered an issue.

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I played a female a few times, got hit on everytime. That;s both annoying and uncomfortable. only play males now.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    While I've delved into characters of the opposite sex, these days I not only stick with males, I create them close to my actual age and a more reasonable frame and musculature.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ChocobroChocobro Member Posts: 64

I ended up going with a Female Roagyden solely for the looks. Aesthetics is a major thing for me and some of the armour sets in the game don't look good on male models (BRD lol...). She also has that rough, dont f*ck with me look and not that sexed-up barbie doll look all the huyr ladies have.