Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question from an MMO player who has never played FF

ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156

I never played FFXI or FFXIV 1.0, but I am interested in trying the relaunch version out. I have been watching videos the last couple of weeks trying to get up to speed, since I have no prior experience with it. My job schedule varies a lot depending on what I have going on, so I play casually and do not raid and only run dungeons sporadically. 

Based on that is this game a good fit for me? Will there be things for me to do a max level with that play style. For example I am currently playing Rift and with my play style instant adventures, rifts, and chronicles work very well. I have read about the FATE system and wanted to know what other things there would be to do within my limits? If I am really going to need to raid or run dungeons to get the real experience then this might not work good for me, since I might be offline sometimes for a couple of days at a time with little notice or I might only have an hour or so some nights to play. 

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Comments

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Im in the same boat as you, im just going to dive in head first, its really the only option right now. I am going to play as Hyur Gladiator or Roegayden Gladiator most likely the latter. Despite the early rumors that there will be alot of healers and tanks, that wont last long because people are usualky to lazy to tank and healing is boring so ling as your playing with people that can tie thier own shoes. I would recommend you play as a gladiator and just take it all in strides.
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059

It will be fine I'm sure.  I mean FATEs are similar to rfits and events or whatever they are called in GW2.

If you ever feel like running a dungeon or raid there is a duty(group) finder.  But, if you plan following the story and quests you will be forced to run group content at times.

But there are a lot of things to do none the less.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Im in the same boat as you, im just going to dive in head first, its really the only option right now. I am going to play as Hyur Gladiator or Roegayden Gladiator most likely the latter. Despite the early rumors that there will be alot of healers and tanks, that wont last long because people are usualky to lazy to tank and healing is boring so ling as your playing with people that can tie thier own shoes. I would recommend you play as a gladiator and just take it all in strides.

Thanks for the response. Sounds like you have some of the same challenges as me. My concern is with my schedule limitations and play style is this a game a good fit for me. If it isn't I don't want to try and force a square peg into a round hole. I enjoy a good immersive game world with a good story and a deep feature rich game. I just don't have an interest in raiding and very limited time for things like dungeons.

• ZeddakisZeddakis Member UncommonPosts: 156
    Originally posted by NetSage

It will be fine I'm sure.  I mean FATEs are similar to rfits and events or whatever they are called in GW2.

If you ever feel like running a dungeon or raid there is a duty(group) finder.  But, if you plan following the story and quests you will be forced to run group content at times.

But there are a lot of things to do none the less.

I can get in a dungeon run on occasion if I need to for the storyline. I don't really have the time or interest in raiding. More casual grouping like FATEs work very good for me and I enjoy stuff like that.

• nennafirnennafir Member UncommonPosts: 313

FFXI is an EQ clone with FF skin.

FFXIV:ARR is a WoW clone with FF skin.

Basically, decide whether or not you want to play a WoW clone with different lore.

I like (and my my does definitely, more than me...) FF lore enough to give it a try.  I am not overly excited because it seems so middle-of-the-road in almost all aspects.  Still, I will give it a try and see if it is okay. 

• ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392
    Put some time into the beta.You should get a good enough feel to know it you should risk buying the game.If you still don't know after the beta....don't buy it.
  • kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

I ended up deciding to try this game after a friend told me about it.

I honestly did not know they were even redoing the game - I'd thought it had already died..

So I come here and start reading, well here and on the official forums (at least I think they are offical.. lots of incorrect info there on the Loadstone) and no one is bitching about the game. 

Just about everyone seems to be excited for the game and it seems to have a decent community already built in.  Most of the other game sites on MMORPG and full of folks hating on this or that - especially over on the ESO and EQN forums.

So I thought I'd throw my lot with you guys for a while and see what the fuss is about.

So far I'm excited and hope to play it for the 1st time this weekend during beta 4.  I've having some account issues right now for the early start next weekend the 24th, but the regulars here tell me I'm good and its normal for SE to have account issues.

/praying  this game is good enough to allow me 6months of play time.

• BuccaneerBuccaneer Member UncommonPosts: 654

Looks like there is going to be plenty to do in game OP.

From running FATE's to leveling other jobs on your character.  Open beta PvP will be introduced (but only for the legacy players due to the lvl 20 cap for beta). Dungeons appeared to be designed with the casual player in mind (hard modes are implemented for raiders) and are easy to access with the duty finder. Other systems are in place called Levequests and behests (I may have spelt/called it wrong image).  You also have loads of crafting and gatherering classes and housing to play with.  These are the things I can think off at the top of my head, maybe more I have missed.

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 388
    Originally posted by Zeddakis

I never played FFXI or FFXIV 1.0, but I am interested in trying the relaunch version out. I have been watching videos the last couple of weeks trying to get up to speed, since I have no prior experience with it. My job schedule varies a lot depending on what I have going on, so I play casually and do not raid and only run dungeons sporadically. 

Based on that is this game a good fit for me? Will there be things for me to do a max level with that play style. For example I am currently playing Rift and with my play style instant adventures, rifts, and chronicles work very well. I have read about the FATE system and wanted to know what other things there would be to do within my limits? If I am really going to need to raid or run dungeons to get the real experience then this might not work good for me, since I might be offline sometimes for a couple of days at a time with little notice or I might only have an hour or so some nights to play. 

Thanks for any insight you can give me.

As an old FF11 player, 1.0 player...i can tell you it will be something new, Universe wise. What i can tell you is that after you play for few days you will have a clue. You will like it...or not. If you like it keep playing. After free month you will have a clue if you like the game or not. 

What i can tell you, if they follow the same recipe they've used on FF11, you will love this game. It will have everything. From my experience FF11 was insanely difficult to achieve things...which was good and bad....but FF14:ARR is not that hard. 

Give it a try...for 1 month. Enjoy every single piece of the game. Dont rush the leveling. Dont consume the game...and you will love it. 

I plan to play the game, casual style...for long.

• ReallymjReallymj Member UncommonPosts: 44
    The last MMO I played was Rift and I spent 2 years with the game from launch. What got me hooked on it was the graphics and the Class system. I haven't played any MMO's for a few months now. I just happened to get a beta invite to Phase 3 and played it the last weekend that was available. My experience was only about  2 days of play and I think I hit level 15. I've been really excited about this game since the small bit that I got to play. The graphics are by far the best I've seen in any game. The armor models, the world environments and mobs look amazing. I see all the tools in place for a great experience in the making. After work today I'm going home and I've already informed the wife not to bother me for the weekend. I've also requested the week off for launch. All this from 2 days time with the game.

~Im not what I am~