Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ok not trolling but why is there so much hype for this game?

2»

Comments

• SamuraiXIVSamuraiXIV Member Posts: 354
    Originally posted by jesusjuice69
    Originally posted by SamuraiXIV
    The hype comes from a word mentioned for this title and it's sandbox but I don't dig it. 

This game is nor ever was claimed to be a sandbox.

This is a question to the dev of wildstar and his answer: 

"Is WildStar aimed at being a more open sandbox environment or more of a directed game?

It's a directed sandbox. "

"mmorpg.com forum admins are all TROLLS and losers in real life"
    My opinion

• ChrisboxChrisbox Member UncommonPosts: 1,729
    Idk about you but I was completely turned off when they mentioned 40 man raiding.  They blatantly are trying to go for a vanilla WoW type game, which is a bad thing.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Originally posted by jesusjuice69
    Originally posted by Leiros
    Originally posted by Meriik
    Its a new AAA MMO of course people are gonna be excited.  Wildstar promises WoW type raiding with GW2 style action combat, that along with player housing and other features makes people excited.

The "action combat" is hardly anything like GW2 combat. Imagine every attack being like an aoe in WoW where you see it "telegraphed" on the ground. It seems cool at first but in practice gets old quick. I'm sure you'll hear more complaints after the NDA is lifted.

You only see the telegraph if you hold the button down.

It is infinitely better than GW2.

Perhaps, but you have to hold the button down to aim and line up your attack. Different shaped telegraphs make it difficult to attack while moving and get that perfect multi-kill. image

Originally posted by Robokapp
    Originally posted by Chrisbox
    Idk about you but I was completely turned off when they mentioned 40 man raiding.  They blatantly are trying to go for a vanilla WoW type game, which is a bad thing.  

that's exactly what we want.

That's a common joke.

40 man raiding was like herding chickens without heads for 9/10 guilds.  No class diversity what so ever.  Breadcrumb quests every 3 levels, terrible itemized drops, grinding mobs was fun too. Not.

Don't give me it was harder bla bla bla, taking longer to level and having to farm more experience/gold does not make a game harder in anyway shape or form.

Vanilla WoW focused on the journey to max level which in a way is a good thing, but not when your journey is only long because of how slow the game progressed and how much you had to mindlessly farm.  

OWpvp was a who had better raid gear competition, and as fun as it could be it would never work today.   

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• Sho0terMcgavinSho0terMcgavin Member UncommonPosts: 301

That's a common joke.

40 man raiding was like herding chickens without heads for 9/10 guilds.  No class diversity what so ever.  Breadcrumb quests every 3 levels, terrible itemized drops, grinding mobs was fun too. Not.

Don't give me it was harder bla bla bla, taking longer to level and having to farm more experience/gold does not make a game harder in anyway shape or form.

Vanilla WoW focused on the journey to max level which in a way is a good thing, but not when your journey is only long because of how slow the game progressed and how much you had to mindlessly farm.  

OWpvp was a who had better raid gear competition, and as fun as it could be it would never work today.   

Well said.  

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029

in my opinion better than FFXIV and the only mmo to play this year

atleast they have paths and acknowledge that 70% of players play single

so their will be public dungens but they have a sub. that sucks and it looks good

and will have group finding I think not like GW2 that woke up after a year

next year ESO and EQN will be better.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

That's a common joke.

Ladies and Gentleman I give you the other side, the minority!

You see that is exactly what you are.

Now the majority of MMO games out there loves Vanilla WOW, which is why we made it the MOST SUCCESSFUL MMO OF ALL TIME.

The end.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• vmopedvmoped Member Posts: 1,708
    Originally posted by Tinybina

That's a common joke.

Now the majority of MMO games out there loves Vanilla WOW, which is why we made it the MOST SUCCESSFUL MMO OF ALL TIME.

The end.

Interesting, in regards to raiding, didn't the WoW devs themselves state that pre CATA less than 1% of the population raided.  Also, didn't WoW reduce the raid requirements from 40 to 25, 15, 10?  Sounds to me like the majority did not like 40 man raiding.

In regards to leveling, WoW has consistently increased the leveling speed since vanilla, and with CATA acknowledged players didn't like the mindless grinding quests.

Cheers!

MMO Vet since AOL Neverwinter Nights circa 1992. My MMO beat up your MMO. =S

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by vmoped
    Originally posted by Tinybina

That's a common joke.

The end.

Interesting, in regards to raiding, didn't the WoW devs themselves state that pre CATA less than 1% of the population raided.  Also, didn't WoW reduce the raid requirements from 40 to 25, 15, 10?  Sounds to me like the majority did not like 40 man raiding.

In regards to leveling, WoW has consistently increased the leveling speed since vanilla, and with CATA acknowledged players didn't like the mindless grinding quests.

First of all I like how you touched on a few topics only like raiding and leveling when the person i quoted talked about the quest, drops and grinding and farming.  

Also unless you are going to post some proof in the form of direct quotes from the WOW devs then this is all your opinion, and we all know what peoples opinions are like.

Cheers!

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• Shatter30Shatter30 Member UncommonPosts: 487
    People are playing it cause its new and there is next to nothing that's decent coming out soon.  My bet is most of the people who start when it goes live aren't playing after 2 months.  This title doesn't offer much on the "unique" or "new" front, kind of a mishmash of a few games together in one, but hey its new right so...
  • NetSageNetSage Member UncommonPosts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Shatter30
    People are playing it cause its new and there is next to nothing that's decent coming out soon.  My bet is most of the people who start when it goes live aren't playing after 2 months.  This title doesn't offer much on the "unique" or "new" front, kind of a mishmash of a few games together in one, but hey its new right so...

Ya but "unique" hasn't been to successful either and they become less and less unique as more game come out with similar features.

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276

That's a common joke.

Herding chickens?  Perhaps if your guild sucked and never got anywhere.

Class diversity had nothing to do with 40 man raids!  That is utter nonsense.  The lack of class diversity was merely a flaw with the game at the time.  I am not even sure you can call it a flaw tbh.  Natural evolution would be more precise.

Taking longer to level?  True it did take longer, but most people only had 1 main character back then.  So level time was fairly irrelevant.  It was harder in many regards though, not just time spent.  Time spent raiding really hasn't changed.  The rate of progress is what has changed. 

No, no it didn't focus on leveling.  Mindlessly farm what?  Gold and potions for raiding was a requirement, but that still exists!

Skill is always greater than gear.  Skill > Gear > Class

You obviously never got anywhere in the early stages of WoW.

no, they stated that less than 1% raided Naxxramas. 0.8% to be exact.

regardless, have your idiotic comparisons and hyperboles. Convince yourself of whatever you want to believe. I will see for myself.

When they remake LEGO Universe I promise I won't pick on you for wanting to play it...      LOL

The funny part is I probably have more content cleared pre nerf from vanilla-MoP than you do, and I still think vanilla WoW as awful.  But its ok, whatever boosts your ego bud.   

No one wants vanilla WoW, and I'd bet the only heroic content you touched was in wrath of the lich king, stop trying to fit into this "Farming makes harder game!" minority that are really just wannabe elitists. Tinybina thinks people who don't like vanilla are the minority, meanwhile he obviously didn't play back then because that was the lowest WoW sub base to date, I doubt you played either.  

Edit: Yea I'm replying to this 3 days after you wrote it. That's how much your lack of knowledge of vanilla WoW has annoyed me. You and the guy who posted above me are the reason no one comes to these forums anymore seriously, bunch of wannabe trolls.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-LoL

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
    Originally posted by Shadowguy64
    My guess is the art style.

This person nailed it...it looks alot like WoW and even seems to have very similar gameplay...Former WoW players will go for WoW clones in a heart beat every time.

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510
    Originally posted by azmundai

40 man raids is part of it.

I laughed out loud.

I'd love to see some statistics on raiding over the history of MMORPGs.

Maintaining a guild that can do 40-man is brutal.  It's hard enough to maintain a guild to do 20/24.  In today's MMORPG sphere with so many F2P atrocities, so few games worth a sub, and so many MMORPGs to choose from in general, keeping ANY guild consistent is tough.

No idea what pricing model WildStar is going with - probably F2P.  Do you really think any F2P game can yield guilds capable of 40 man progression when most F2P players have low/no loyalty to any game and flit around on a whim?

Even in the best of the best (WoW vanilla) - the game with the most players - I would bet that the number of total players that did 40 man content was a tiny sliver of the game's population.  It's one reason why bliz moved away from 40-man raiding.  It's moronic to develop content that almost nobody does or can even attempt.

40 man raiding requires an ultra militaristic guild and that's just not something most players can do or be a part of, especially these days in today's MMO landscape.

There's also zero point in 40 man raiding.  It's zergy.  It's beyond the numbers required to have a sophisticated PvE encounter.

I'm sure some tiny fraction of the MMORPG population is excited about 40-man raiding.  Tiny.

I actually consider the fact that they're aiming for 40 man raiding to be a huge negative because to me it shows the devs are clueless and haven't learned from MMORPG history.  40 man raiding is about as dumb as FFA PvP - it's something that appeals to a very small number of players overall.

I would applaud a return to some older school elements of better classic MMORPGs but 40-man raiding is not one of those elements.  Wasting time developing 40-man content is a horrible use of dev time.

------

WildStar will be new, shiny, blah blah - same reasons people get hyped about any new MMORPG that has promise.  They have decent marketing videos.

Many of us are waiting for the "next big thing" and most of what comes out looks good at first but is over in a few months due to following the same post WoW clone formula of too much solo ez mode and not enough challenge and group-based content.  Or due to horribly bad design decisions, like wasting huge amounts of time and effort on niche content like 40-man raiding.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

Originally posted by Theocritus

This person nailed it...it looks alot like WoW and even seems to have very similar gameplay...Former WoW players will go for WoW clones in a heart beat every time.

The game is not hyped because of the art style.  That is ludicrous. 

This is not a WoW clone.

• ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    I really hope they bring something new to the table. Sounds like it might be fun but the similarities to WoW seem to point to same old game. 

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

Originally posted by Zydari
    I really hope they bring something new to the table. Sounds like it might be fun but the similarities to WoW seem to point to same old game. 

The only thing this game has in common with WoW is NOTHING!

Everything, including raiding in general, is fundamentally different. 

Two MMOs couldn't really be more different.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    There's hype for every "AAA"  game nowadays, it shouldnt be unexpected.
  • osiotlvourblosiotlvourbl Member Posts: 2

Yes this seems likely. Not that it's a bad thing.

Also most  new AAA mmos are always hyped.

• holdenhamletholdenhamlet Member EpicPosts: 3,772
    Originally posted by eimaiego

-40 man raids

-guild wars 2 like combat

-really intreresting housing system

-the funny videos

-path system

-and for some people the cartoonish wow style graphics, for me the graphics is the only thing that bothers me

Why do people say guild-wars 2 type combat?  Guild Wars 2 combat was the same old crap as always with a pitiful dodge.

If anything, the combat seems like TERA (which is a very good thing, btw- I can't even play the standard combat anymore after TERA because it's so boring).