Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Warhammer 40.000: Eternal Crusade: Pikko Server Backbone Announced

2»

Comments

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    So when is Paul Barnett coming to spin us a manly yarn?
  • neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    Eldar anklitvx!

Lol! I meant announcement but it came out...wrong :P

Let's see what skeins of fate have in store for us brothers and sisters!

*a low rumbling demonic voice*

Only death and carnage await those who would stand in the way of CHAOS

• Chivalry1978Chivalry1978 Member Posts: 184

While Im glad to see they have chosen there server backbone, I do hope they dont make the same mistake that another Warhammer title made when it came to pvp....LIKE having 300 players fighting in one area causing so much lag the game was unplayable. Even with top end systems at the time....

The sad reality is this game is going to be cross platform, which means that the restraints of the next gen systems will have to be taken into account. Not to mention since this is a free to play game, there will be a higher demand on the servers and thus a need for sharding, as well as keeping the graphics simple enough for mid range gamers to pull 30+fps...If not it will fail.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Chivalry1978

While Im glad to see they have chosen there server backbone, I do hope they dont make the same mistake that another Warhammer title made when it came to pvp....LIKE having 300 players fighting in one area causing so much lag the game was unplayable. Even with top end systems at the time....

The sad reality is this game is going to be cross platform, which means that the restraints of the next gen systems will have to be taken into account. Not to mention since this is a free to play game, there will be a higher demand on the servers and thus a need for sharding, as well as keeping the graphics simple enough for mid range gamers to pull 30+fps...If not it will fail.

That is the point of pikko server it can handle large amounts of players in the same area without any lag.. they broke the record at one point of having 1000 players in the same fps gam.. it was very basic but it worked an that was last year..

I am sure there will be seperate localised servers tho.. but there is no need for instances like SWTOR or similar. still its a long way off so we dont really know.

Also what restraints do you expect from it being cross platform? considering the next generation of colsoles are just a stripped down mid range PC? Also no need for graphics to be simple.. that why you have different setting. i.e low, medium, high, ultra or whatever so a wide range of computers will work fine.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by Incomparable
    Sciva, they are talking 1000 people in one specfic area. Not the whole server.

Im not sure what ps2 did, but first person shooter wise, a 1000 people fighting is a lot compared to cs-source with 60 or bf with a 100.

Remember its also a fps game. So registration and ping is important. If they are saying 1000 in one area, they mean it will work well with 1000 in one area.

That's what i meant. PS2 can have 2000 people in one area.

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Originally posted by Sciva
     1000 in one area.

That's what i meant. PS2 can have 2000 people in one area.

2000 on one map.. i am not sure if they have managed 2000 finghting over the same base tho but not sure..

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by Chivalry1978

That is the point of pikko server it can handle large amounts of players in the same area without any lag.. they broke the record at one point of having 1000 players in the same fps gam.. it was very basic but it worked an that was last year..

I am sure there will be seperate localised servers tho.. but there is no need for instances like SWTOR or similar. still its a long way off so we dont really know.

Also what restraints do you expect from it being cross platform? considering the next generation of colsoles are just a stripped down mid range PC? Also no need for graphics to be simple.. that why you have different setting. i.e low, medium, high, ultra or whatever so a wide range of computers will work fine.

That was 2 years ago. And it was so basic game as possible without actually anyone playing game. We seen several same kind a tech demos in history. Fact is that they haven't been able to sell technology to anyone so far tells that there is something else behind. We can only hope but usually these 3rd party first time stuff ends up as mess.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Vyeth
    So when is Paul Barnett coming to spin us a manly yarn?

I'd bet it's going to be the most awesome yarn ever!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    still far away from EVE ...