Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

10 years SWG wish you were still here!

Comments

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    Originally posted by Tredo
    Originally posted by Karteli

Well if SOE upholds their tradition of nerfing great ideas, the next implemention would be SWG Next, which wouldn't be of any comfort to former players.  Action combat, lots of boom booms, and particle effects .. also available for the PS4. Limited controls, and only enough abilities to fit on a controller.

But hopes for a really good MMORPG successor are all out, since Disney awarded EA exclusive rights to Star Wars for a long time in the future ..  obviously Disney see's something that everyone else doesn't.

If EA has rights to Star Wars.. I wouldn't hold out for any great thing to come from them. Remember what EA did when it bought out the rights to Earth and Beyond? YEP! They shut it down!!

EA + good games = bad for players!!

Can't be worse then Disney's Star Wars version with Justin Bieber with a lightsaber and 30 ewoks dancing around the campfire for 90 mins.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DrannyDranny Member UncommonPosts: 279
    The CU killed SWG for me never logged in once they changed.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Yeah 'wish you were still here'. that is why it got nothing but flaming and relentless hate. Things were so bad that this website had to make a seperate section for people to complain and bash SWG.

*rolls eyes*

Originally posted by DocBrody

how true.

just found a cool SWG vs. SWTOR video.

Surprise, it's a pretty bad outcome  for SWTOR

http://youtu.be/eC8LacnQ1bc

Its allright. That is your opinion as long as you don't try to speak on behalf of majority and generalise.

By the way SWG is dead and gone while SWTOR is still up and running with amount of players that SWG never had.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372

By the way SWG is dead and gone while SWTOR is still up and running with amount of players that SWG never had.

By the way, there are now more people playing online than in 2005 also by the way swtor is a F2P game, these games always will have more players playing, because it costs nothing to download and play. Lastly, some people who started playing online games recently do not know any better.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Cristina1

By the way, there are now more people playing online than in 2005 also by the way swtor is a F2P game, these games always will have more players playing, because it costs nothing to download and play. Lastly, some people who started playing online games recently do not know any better.

Only because people do not like what you like doesn't mean they don't know any better. As far as amount of players playing are concerned... EQ had around 600K subscribers for lot of years. So yeah more players play now but there were plenty who were playing back in 2005 and yet SWG didn't do well.

No one stopped SOE  and Lucasarts from going F2P like they did with other games like EQ2 and Vanguard. They just didn't had the will to do so, maybe because they were certain that even as F2P title they will only lose money.

Excuses..Excuses and more excuses as usual.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• BossalinieBossalinie Member UncommonPosts: 724

Oh here we go... image

• CazNeergCazNeerg Member Posts: 2,198
    Originally posted by Kazara

The release of SWTOR finally pulled the game off life support.

No.  The expiration of the licensing agreement took the game off life support.  It wasn't making enough money to justify renewing the agreement, even if all parties had been willing to.  Regardless of what might have happened if pre-NGE had been allowed to continue it's existence, the NGE version was a fundamentally weak product.

Even pre-NGE wasn't that popular though.  It's amazing how many people on this site think that when they personally like something, that means it would be successful if only more money were poured into the things they like about it.  I have diverse tastes, I loved aspects of pre-NGE SWG, and I love aspects of TOR.  But I don't let the fact that I like something lead me to pretend that it's something it isn't.  TOR is, on a fundamental level, a really large sequel to Knights of the Old Republic, which happens to have a few tacked on multiplayer features.  SWG was an unfinished pseudo-sandbox which happened to include some Star Wars art assets and music.  

It's hard to really call it a Star Wars game, because what defines the Star Wars setting most of all is the narrative, and vanilla SWG basically didn't have one.  The skill system was absolutely fantastic, best I have ever seen, in any game, but that is mechanics.  They could have slapped any skin on the game, and it would have been just as good.  Basically, the point of that digression is that I get tired of people talking about how SWG is a "true Star Wars game" and TOR isn't, when even if you absolutely love SWG's mechanics and hate TOR's, if you are honest and rational you should be able to admit that TOR is waaaaaaaaay more Star Wars.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
    Through passion, I gain strength.
    Through strength, I gain power.
    Through power, I gain victory.
    Through victory, my chains are broken.
    The Force shall free me.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465

Anyone who played SWG in the old days and still has the disks, can play SWG currently, in a certain fashion.

So there is no reason to miss SWG (especially not the bastardized, StarWoWs NGE version, which is hopefully dead for all time).

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by CazNeerg
    Originally posted by Kazara

The release of SWTOR finally pulled the game off life support.

No.  The expiration of the licensing agreement took the game off life support.  It wasn't making enough money to justify renewing the agreement, even if all parties had been willing to.  Regardless of what might have happened if pre-NGE had been allowed to continue it's existence, the NGE version was a fundamentally weak product.

Even pre-NGE wasn't that popular though.  It's amazing how many people on this site think that when they personally like something, that means it would be successful if only more money were poured into the things they like about it.  I have diverse tastes, I loved aspects of pre-NGE SWG, and I love aspects of TOR.  But I don't let the fact that I like something lead me to pretend that it's something it isn't.  TOR is, on a fundamental level, a really large sequel to Knights of the Old Republic, which happens to have a few tacked on multiplayer features.  SWG was an unfinished pseudo-sandbox which happened to include some Star Wars art assets and music.  

It's hard to really call it a Star Wars game, because what defines the Star Wars setting most of all is the narrative, and vanilla SWG basically didn't have one.  The skill system was absolutely fantastic, best I have ever seen, in any game, but that is mechanics.  They could have slapped any skin on the game, and it would have been just as good.  Basically, the point of that digression is that I get tired of people talking about how SWG is a "true Star Wars game" and TOR isn't, when even if you absolutely love SWG's mechanics and hate TOR's, if you are honest and rational you should be able to admit that TOR is waaaaaaaaay more Star Wars.

So very true.The Devs stated over and over again that part of MANY reasons the NGE was done was to make the game feel more like a Star Wars game.  Having said that, I do wish more games added the economic and social  system that vanilla SWG had. It really helps to add to the realism. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    SWTOR, wish you were her (SWG)
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681

True. In 2003 55% of households were online compare to 75% in 2012 so it stands to reason that SWTOR would have more players than SWG did when it launched - that still doesn't make SWTOR a better game than SWG. It's not.

https://www.census.gov/hhes/computer/files/2012/Computer_Use_Infographic_FINAL.pdf

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.

Originally posted by Burntvet

Anyone who played SWG in the old days and still has the disks, can play SWG currently, in a certain fashion.

So there is no reason to miss SWG (especially not the bastardized, StarWoWs NGE version, which is hopefully dead for all time).

Yes indeed and I am - I would rather play an in-progress version of the pre-cu over the "finished" version of SWTOR any day.

• TygranirTygranir Member Posts: 741
    SWG was just never that good or popular. It was extremely niche. SWG's best day had far less people playing than SWTOR's worst day.

SWTOR Referral Bonus!
    Referral link
    7 day subscriber level access
    Returning players get 1 free server transfer

Leveling assistance items given to new player!

See all perks Here

• CrazKanukCrazKanuk Member EpicPosts: 6,130
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    it's just sad to think how great SWG could have been if the money invested in SWTOR had been invested in SWG. Add to that 10 years of development and you have a classic game of its genre.

Nah, if SWG had SWTOR money, we just would have had SWTOR sooner. It has nothing to do with money it has everything to do with business. It's a classic case of the grass always being greener on the other side. They should have concentrated more effort on convincing people back then that this is how a game should be, instead of reacting to the market and trying to create SWTOR. In the end, you wind up with a game that nobody likes. 

Crazkanuk

----------------
    Azarelos - 90 Hunter - Emerald
    Durnzig - 90 Paladin - Emerald
    Demonicron - 90 Death Knight - Emerald Dream - US
    Tankinpain - 90 Monk - Azjol-Nerub - US
    Brindell - 90 Warrior - Emerald Dream - US
    ----------------

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

I never miss an opportunity to pay my respects to SWG. It's unrealistic and unfair to directly compare games that are nearly a decade apart when so much has changed technically, socially and economically over that same decade. I'd go so far as to say that comparing any two MMOs is a pointless endeavor when there are so many personal tastes in play.

Thank you SWG. You consumed much of my free time, and I regret nothing.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

I just wonder what this new title will be Smedley hinted on his reddit AMA

"MMO for SWG players to come home".

A SWG 2, just without the Star Wars IP?  Take my money

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by LoverNoFighter
    it's just sad to think how great SWG could have been if the money invested in SWTOR had been invested in SWG. Add to that 10 years of development and you have a classic game of its genre.

I wouldn't call what SOE does as development,all theydo is just add more of the same content and sell it off as expacs.They were/are even famous for rehashing all the same textures and models and icons,they really are a lazy developer.Even if you look at say a game like EQ2,as they got bigger the tiers were all copy cat tiers or previous ones only adding more dmg or stats but still the exact same ideas.

Don't believe me?Well then look at EQL they have removed any chance of creative thinking,they just added a Minecraft idea and are sellingthat,no creativity from them,no assets nothing at all,yep a lazy developer.

Also if SWG was still around it would be a cash shop game,so i wouldn't support it at this time.

The SW brand is a giant IP but imo the game although i can see why many liked it,was imo not that great and would definitely need a graphic update.Past tense has said devs don't like graphic updates because they can't make money from it,they rather make some quick make shift new game or xpac and sell that.

Bottom line is that SWG was a good game for it's time,grossly outdated at this point and under the SOE wing,if they did not ruin it back then,they would have dumbed it down and ruined it another point along the 10 years.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

SWG was a nice game. But it had issues.... Massive issues even before the NGE. Let me elaborate

1: Too many "classes" as edvident that they could not make content for them like how Image Designer, entertainer, tailor had no content added outside of the bare minimum they had to. Smugglers never got anything close to working smuggling missions and let´s not forget the entire fiasco that was the unlock process for the force sensitive.

2: The skill system was flawed, a few min/max builds did well and the rest was pretty much useless.

3: While the game still was alive with lot´s of players, it shut newcomers out of pretty much all the crafting due to established players strip-mining any decent materials

4: Macros... Everywhere... All the time....

5: Did i mention balance, well it can stand to be mentioned again... It was not only bad but atrocious.

6: Lag... So much of it.

7: No actual jumping.

Now the housing system was good and one of the things i spent the most time with (since i was a Tailor and ID... Not much else i could do beyond sitting in the Tent once it was introduced.) and i did enjoy the way my smuggler could mix n match skills. But people give themgame way way to much credit and NGE at least solved the balance and class uselessness.

Also while some people on the old igh pop servers did not see the decline of people even before the NGE those of us who played on mid and low pop servers did... Yes NGE accelerated the process, especially in the "veteran" department but otoh the game was a lot more newbie friendly afterwards.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Also if SWG was still around it would be a cash shop game,so i wouldn't support it at this time.

It pretty much was in the end any way... Remember the card game... That had all the good things that couid have been crafting recepies in it...

This have been a good conversation

• VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723

If SWG were still around today it would be a sad wasteland of a formerly awesome MMO experience.

SWG was great because of the community and what people made of the game. Yes the crafting was awesome, the bio-engineering and creature handling was awesome and the game had some systems that were close to genius. But it's what people did with all that.

You only have to try the SWGEmu to see how bad the game would be without that community. Doctors arguing over which bed they get to sit on in the hospital, players arguing over who gets to camp a Nightsister Elder and everyone largely playing solo and powergaming rather than revelling in the experience. Damn even all the entertainers are afk autobuffing using macros.

In general today's MMO players are not the same as those in 2003/4.

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457
    Originally posted by Vonatar

In general today's MMO players are not the same as those in 2003/4.

To paraphrase Yoda, That is why MMOs "fail".

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Well if SOE upholds their tradition of nerfing great ideas, the next implemention would be SWG Next, which wouldn't be of any comfort to former players.  Action combat, lots of boom booms, and particle effects .. also available for the PS4. Limited controls, and only enough abilities to fit on a controller.

But hopes for a really good MMORPG successor are all out, since Disney awarded EA exclusive rights to Star Wars for a long time in the future ..  obviously Disney see's something that everyone else doesn't.

In spite of the fact that SWG was a Star Wars IP based game, I think the people who loved that game loved it for the game itself more than the IP. When I played, I always had the sense that it wasn't really Star Wars. It looked and sounded like Star Wars, but I never felt like I was actually in the Star Wars Universe. I still loved the game. Sure the name attracted players to it, but I don't think it, alone, was enough to keep them. A SWG "clone" could succeed without said IP if done right.

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Member UncommonPosts: 318
    The drama alone on Bria was more fun than any 5 mmos currently available. Hunting for resources in SWG was more fun than many mmorpgs.
  • VonatarVonatar Member UncommonPosts: 723
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

In spite of the fact that SWG was a Star Wars IP based game, I think the people who loved that game loved it for the game itself more than the IP. When I played, I always had the sense that it wasn't really Star Wars. It looked and sounded like Star Wars, but I never felt like I was actually in the Star Wars Universe. I still loved the game. Sure the name attracted players to it, but I don't think it, alone, was enough to keep them. A SWG "clone" could succeed without said IP if done right.

I think you, sir, need to spend some time checking this out: https://www.therepopulation.com/

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I think SWG had a wonderful Star Wars feel to it - certainly better than SWTOR's version. SWG had Tatooine sand storms....worlds had night and day cycles and the ORIGINAL trilogy theme. Darth Vader would should up with his storm troopers...as well as Luke, Leia, Solo and Chewbacca. Having my very own Millenium Falcon to fly around space in or a Tie Fighter? THAT's Star Wars.

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    My own Star Wars gaming experiences include X-Wing, Dark Forces, Rebel Assault, and the tabletop RPG with the d6 / wild die rules. I remember reading about SWG when it first came out, and thinking the concept of the Jedi class was pretty cool. It seems like the cool factor of being a Jedi somehow diminished after the movie prequels were released. I appreciated the concept of a Jedi as a difficult, almost unobtainable spiritual path. There are many agreements with ancient Eastern writing.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance