Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will Blizzard copy EQN with project Titan?

124»

Comments

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by Leiros
    So, as I was watching the EQN reveal last week I couldn't help but imagine a group of Blizzard devs scribbling furiously with their pens and clipboards as the "new features" were being unveiled. Does anyone else feel like Blizzard is just waiting copy and then improve upon whatever EQN has to offer?

"New features"? which one? combat? done by GW2. removal of trinity? done by GW2. dynamic events? being done for years. The new AI? it is work of Storybricks and it is being worked on for years. the only thing that actually sounds interesting is "destructible world", again which i am sure will not be how they have described it. will players be able to destroy the capital/hometown of a certain race and build their own castle on it and claim themselves as "king of trolls" or "conqueror of elves"? i guess not. you will still have to find a breakable  terrain in certain places of world to break and explore further. this kind of things have been done by many other games before but in "instances", SOE will just remove the "instanced barrier". and castle building/crushing is an old thing. so what is new? other than the "Next" in the title? even their boasting about "how this will be the next big thing" is old hat. i rally want to find something new but i guess until some japanese genius develops a Virtual MMO we are stuck with these re-skinned "new features".

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Of course! Everquest was the meat and bones of what they took to create WoW! Why wouldn't they!

Joking aside (well the of course part, we can't deny Wow was heavily inspired and designed after EQ) i'd say its a good likelihood it will take elements from EQN if the type of game they create is similiar to it in design. Blizzard has a habit of doing this a lot, its hard to name a single feature NOT taken from another game and adapted to a degree for their own.  

That being said, I feel that what they will take from EQN will be less then what they had from EQ1. EQ1 really set a foundation when there wasn't much of one out there. With so many games around and the foundation already in place, its very likely titan will use aspects from EQN but also from other games to create another world. It will be interesting to see how it turns out in the end though. Blizzards track record as of late has been... well... less then stellar. They aren't as 'renowned' as they use to be with many terribly decisions as of late and having to rely on the steam of their past success to keep their fires going, something that we have seen lately with things like wow subs to be fading far faster then it ever has in the past.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Seeker728

Blizz bought themselves out from activison? Activision was the main reason wow went to crap in the first place. Hopefully now that Blizzard is their own entity again titan might actually be worth watching.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Activision_Blizzard

scroll to the bottom, Blizz dropped a hefty wad to insure they had significant controlling interest, was actually impressed by their move.

Kotick is still a strong presence in Activision/Blizzard

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Kotick

A frequent complaint from the gaming press is the gap between Kotick and Activision's chief consumers. Ars Technica editor Ben Kuchera wrote, "Kotick doesn't play his games, and it shows."[16] Video game developer Tim Schafer called Kotick a "total prick" in reference to his negative attitude towards games.[21] However, gaming blog Kotaku reported that Kotick confessed to a passion for video games that "has never really gone away," and "rattle[d] off an impressive list of consoles he's owned in the past and games he loved."[5]

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Didn't Blizzard recently announce that they scrapped their original plan for Titan are reworking the game? 

And that it won't be subscription MMO?

Maybe...

Titan...

Titan IS EverQuest NEXT!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by BadSpock

Didn't Blizzard recently announce that they scrapped their original plan for Titan are reworking the game? 

Maybe...

Titan...

Titan IS EverQuest NEXT!

hmm

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4011152/blizzard-and-sony-announce-strategic-partnership

"Many of you are probably wondering why an old-school PC game developer is crashing the Sony party tonight," said Blizzard's Chris Metzen on the Sony stage, explaining that the company now has a "strategic partnership" with Sony to "take over the world."

• shivafangshivafang Member UncommonPosts: 6

The original WoW was basically a copy of EverQuest with upgraded technology (and their own lore - I'm talking gameplay wise)

Pretty much every feature they included since has been a reation to another game implementing it.  (Their new achievement system was completely stolen from WAR if I recall correctly)

It's actually good that WoW tries to keep pace with new MMOs, otherwise the game probably would have died out a long time ago.  It shows logevity that they are still updating it.

• palulalulapalulalula Member UncommonPosts: 651
    Well they can make only better game. SOE launched always half finished games. You will see same problem as with old EQ , lag, bad optimization, strange combat. EQN  copied MOP graphic engine, rest we will se
  • ZydariZydari Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Great question. Given their past history and the fact that they stopped Titan development to rethink things, I do believe they are going to if it's successful. 

Experience demands that man is the only animal which devours his own kind, for I can apply no milder term to the general prey of the rich on the poor.

Thomas Jefferson

• Seeker728Seeker728 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by Nadia

Maybe...

Titan...

Titan IS EverQuest NEXT!

hmm

http://www.theverge.com/2013/2/20/4011152/blizzard-and-sony-announce-strategic-partnership

"Many of you are probably wondering why an old-school PC game developer is crashing the Sony party tonight," said Blizzard's Chris Metzen on the Sony stage, explaining that the company now has a "strategic partnership" with Sony to "take over the world."

I utterly despise consoles.  And D3 was indeed ideal for consoles, tells you what I think of the game too as yes, I should've known better and got suckered in.  But to stay on topic;

Corporate jungle law is what it is, to go on about fairness and such is naive.  

My interest in EQN is piqued, I will continue to watch it because the ideas SOE is saying they're going to do are of interest.  How effective SOE is in implimenting them remains to be seen, and as has been said several times, SOE has a long history of misfires that originate at the top, not in the Dev labs.  I fully expect the ideas SOE is pursuing with EQN to be represented in other games, and the real measure of success is who does it the best, if SOE is committed to excellence then the market will support it and their product will have the lion's share of subscribers.

Unfortunately, IMO it seems like SOE is content to remain in 3rd tier standing and for having a reputation of failing as they repeatedly reinforce it with one dropped ball after another (DCUO was my last experience with them).  So while the Devs may have a lot of great ideas they are trying to realize and implement, if the boys in suits don't give them their support, its very similar to how politicians leave soldiers out to die to save their own piebald asses while spewing any BS they can think of to justify their ineptitude.

Also IMHO, competition is a very good thing, if Blizz is looking at what EQN is up to and thinks they can do it better just like they proved they could do in other cases, let them.  If SOE can't keep pace, they're just proving all the naysayers correct that they're a 3rd rate company.  I have my issues with Blizz as well, they lost my sub just like SOE did so please don't mistake me for a loyalist of Blizz's, I just recognize that they've implemented ideas to greater effect than SOE did...at least till they were bought by Activision and now that they're independent again, the fight has gotten IMO a lot more interesting.

Finally, fwiw, I'd actually like to see SOE hit a home run for a change and reclaim the throne for a while, and have that success revitalize the entire line of MMOs they market, but Hope soars till the chains of reality forbid further flight.

Even peace may be purchased at too high a price, and the only time you are completely safe is when you lie in the grave.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Maybe...

Titan...

Titan IS EverQuest NEXT!

I think they are aiming for a wide set of platforms to play on.  Personal Computers, tablets, smart phones, consoles. 

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"