Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The population appears to be growing still.

Comments

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Originally posted by Thomson

I haven't posted here for quite a long time but there is so much bullshit in here...

Fact is that there is no trusted data that shows the amount of active players and it's pretty pointless to try to make up facts by looking at box sales and such.

You can't know the exact number.  But you can use the achievement point leader board to get a trend.  Most likely it is somewhere between 20-35%.  The reason is the top percentile people have such a high AP point that they need to play everyday for a year.  And a huge percent of people have such a low AP point, that they most likely just tried it and quit.

That is obvious though.  But it is impossible to know the exact number.

Note that the leaderboard don't include trial account, but for future trial account, I'm not sure if it'll get included.

The way I see it is, GW2 is one of the market leader at the moment. 

It is quite amazing how they manage to make such a great game being B2P. 

I really like the business model, because other game are either subscription base or ftp that use premium.  Or the ftp pay to win game I try to avoid.  Their business model really set them apart.

• caetftlcaetftl Member Posts: 358
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by caetftl

The third party metrics for WoW are for the western audience of WoW, which is very low relative to previous years... it does not claim to track the chinese users at all. 

Just because NCsoft owns anet doesn't mean they handle every decision by anet.  Sort of like vivendi didn't handle publishing contracts  for blizzard in EVERY region. 

As for your manifesto responses, those are just biased opinions.

The game made me spend hours preparing to have fun, and in the end it still wasn't even fun.  People that loved traditional MMORPGs didn't like GW2 very much.  So that first paragraph, objectively, is false. 

Each time you play through the game you may not experience a different story line, the game doesn't have infinite story lines.  So that part is false.

GW2 actually has you clicking NPCs with markers over your head, in the personal story... so this paragraph is also false.

The npcs are pretty static, the dynamic events are static in where and how they happen so that paragraph is false in what it is trying to market the game as.

GW2 events are easy mode, I find that there is never really any socializing because the persistent world content is so easy.... So it is pretty much soloing, you aren't actually there working with each other consciously.  So again false...

Flexible is subjective, I will say that GW2's system is less flexible than other big MMOs, there are less ways to deviate in how you play your class.  So again, objectively speaking, another false claim.

I dunno what to tell you man, you are biased, watch the manifesto video, ask yourself honestly if they achieved what they were trying to advertise there. 

Their dynamic events aren't dynamic, you as an individual can not change the game world.  They are trying to fix some of their lies now, but too little too late. 

So now you are saying that WoW lost 90% of their western audiance, which is estimated to be somewhere between 2.5 and 4 millions.

NCSoft handle every publishing decision.

And your opinions of the manifesto are even more biased.

Actually... 90% for the west is probably correct... and whoa... wow is down to 7.7 million and china has had way over 50% of the subscriber base for many years now... it is more likely for them to lose paying subscribers than chinese ones... so your 2.5-4million estimate is quite generous... 

Can you prove NCSoft handles every publishing decision for every region?

My opinions of the manifesto are closer to reality than yours... because the majority of the players have quit the game and many of those shortcomings and downright lies from the manifesto are things that factor into them quitting. 

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    ...still waiting for those sources.  You ever going to link them?
    Originally posted by observer

Agreed... also waiting for proof that the population is growing. 

• crashdxcrashdx Member Posts: 53

Where is the proof that says otherwise?

There are no proof.   Only speculate.  Like you don't have proof saying GW2 population decline too.

You are only speculating GW2 population decline base on your information.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Actually... 90% for the west is probably correct... and whoa... wow is down to 7.7 million and china has had way over 50% of the subscriber base for many years now... it is more likely for them to lose paying subscribers than chinese ones... so your 2.5-4million estimate is quite generous... 

My opinions of the manifesto are closer to reality than yours... because the majority of the players have quit the game and many of those shortcomings and downright lies from the manifesto are things that factor into them quitting. 

NCSoft, a publisher company that owns developer studios like Arenanet and published games in China before via third parties (that is the only way you can do it) will publish GW2 in Europe and America, but in China, next to its headquarters in S.Korea will let Arenanet negotiate in a market that they have no experience.

Right oh.

Your opinions of the manifesto decide to ignore some of the best aspects of the game like how everyone plays together instead of competing and decide to focus on semantics about dynamic events being a script (mate in a computer everything is a script, that may have more or less variables calculated in real time) and how an individual can't change the game world, something they never said in the older written manifesto.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

NCSoft, a publisher company that owns developer studios like Arenanet and published games in China before via third parties (that is the only way you can do it) will publish GW2 in Europe and America, but in China, next to its headquarters in S.Korea will let Arenanet negotiate in a market that they have no experience.

Right oh.

Your opinions of the manifesto decide to ignore some of the best aspects of the game like how everyone plays together instead of competing and decide to focus on semantics about dynamic events being a script (mate in a computer everything is a script, that may have more or less variables calculated in real time) and how an individual can't change the game world, something they never said in the older written manifesto.

Vivendi owns developer studios as well, it does not publish WoW or handle all the publishing negotiations for every region. 

Everyone doesn't play together in GW2.  Remember when the game first launched and WvWvW had people phased differently into the same battles between the same servers?  That isn't semantics, that is reality, that was a design choice they made.  In PvE you don't sit there actively talking and coordinating with everyone you run into, it is a mindless drone for easy mode content that you are guaranteed to succeed at.  Dynamic events are scripts, and they are just as regurgitated as quest scripts, that is the point, they are nothing new. 

I don't care about the magical older manifesto you are talking about, I care about the one used to advertise the game and get it out there, the one where they intentionally misrepresented what their game was, and ultimately failed to deliver on.  During game development everything is subject to change, an old outdated manifesto is nowhere near as relevant as one used to advertise the game nearer to its release. 

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

Right oh.

Vivendi owns developer studios as well, it does not publish WoW or handle all the publishing negotiations for every region. 

Everyone doesn't play together in GW2.  Remember when the game first launched and WvWvW had people phased differently into the same battles between the same servers?  That isn't semantics, that is reality, that was a design choice they made.  In PvE you don't sit there actively talking and coordinating with everyone you run into, it is a mindless drone for easy mode content that you are guaranteed to succeed at.  Dynamic events are scripts, and they are just as regurgitated as quest scripts, that is the point, they are nothing new. 

I don't care about the magical older manifesto you are talking about, I care about the one used to advertise the game and get it out there, the one where they intentionally misrepresented what their game was, and ultimately failed to deliver on.  During game development everything is subject to change, an old outdated manifesto is nowhere near as relevant as one used to advertise the game nearer to its release. 

Honestly, what are you shooting for here? Do you want everyone on mmorpg.com that loves GW2 to quit playing? Or, are you trying to rally more haters to back you and your "beliefs"? 

Is there a game you play that you like? If you do, perhaps you should visit that forum and promote it instead of going on about a game you do not care for. 

You are not even on the discussion topic anymore. /shrug

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

I think game studio like Blizzard or NCsoft try to publish as much as it themself.  Since they are so big, they can just set up a branch in other region like they did and publish themself.

But for China, they have to use a 3rd party publisher.  Because it is by law they have to do it.  They can't just enter China, set up a branch and publish it themself. 

If you dislike GW2 so much.  I suggest you find a game you like, and visit that forum instead.  Weather people like a game or not is very subjective. 

I don't think there is anything wrong with what you said.  You expressed your personal feeling.  Just that you might want to visit a game forum you actually enjoy instead of whinning a game I guess you no longer play.

But that is just my advice.  Fill free to whine about how terrible GW2 is and you don't like it.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Right oh.

Honestly, what are you shooting for here? Do you want everyone on mmorpg.com that loves GW2 to quit playing? Or, are you trying to rally more haters to back you and your "beliefs"? 

Is there a game you play that you like? If you do, perhaps you should visit that forum and promote it instead of going on about a game you do not care for. 

Not at all, I have no problem whatsoever with people who love gw2 playing it...  I simply try to keep gw2 objective and logical.  There are plenty of gw2 fans on these forums that are very realistic about gw2, there are others who make all sorts of absurd arguments anytime you are remotely critical of it.  This thread is about how the population appears to be growing, there is more evidence against such an appearance than there is for it, because this evidence was presented, some of the more overzealous posters tried to twist such evidence in all sorts of ways to defend their game.  I'd love to have stayed on track talking about why the game does and doesn't appear to be growing, if you feel things got derailed well then look through the thread and see where people derailed it, and what their agendas were.  

This is a GW2 forum, it isn't a "love gw2 and ignore anything wrong with it or get out" forum. 

Never happened. There were queues.

The new manifesto is about the same as the old one, but without the paragraph structure. That clearly confused some people that thought a single player in a MMORPG could change the game for everyone else.

If there is one thing that you can clearly point in the manifesto is that your home instance is irrelevant after the first few levels.

Quest scripts are so basic you need to have them in your journal (this is a flag system so that the game knows to drop you the items/grant you the kills and in most games it is limited byhow many you can have simultaneously) to complete them and there is no change in the world, not even for 30 seconds, as you complete the quest. Mobs were there you kill some mobs, the same mobs and NPCs are in the same position.

In GW2 you can see the mobs/NPCs moving, after you destroyed the centaur camp, the NPC allies come and take over it - it is visual and occurs in real time.

Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

Blizzard published its own games way before they MERGED with activision, much less being bought by Vivendi, that decided to keep the structure that was working in place.

Arenanet never published a game and it will never will while they are owned by NCSoft.

Originally posted by Amjoco

Right oh.

Not at all, I have no problem whatsoever with people who love gw2 playing it...  I simply try to keep gw2 objective and logical.  There are plenty of gw2 fans on these forums that are very realistic about gw2, there are others who make all sorts of absurd arguments anytime you are remotely critical of it.  This thread is about how the population appears to be growing, there is more evidence against such an appearance than there is for it, because this evidence was presented, some of the more overzealous posters tried to twist such evidence in all sorts of ways to defend their game.  I'd love to have stayed on track talking about why the game does and doesn't appear to be growing, if you feel things got derailed well then look through the thread and see where people derailed it, and what their agendas were.  

This is a GW2 forum, it isn't a "love gw2 and ignore anything wrong with it or get out" forum. 

IMHO you seem to have a huge agenda against GW2. Look at the percent of your 200+ posts, glance through your history, and the forums you visit. It's as if you enjoy trying to make people feel bad about something they like. Take a brake and visit another game forum, and spread a bit of your cancer there as well.

The OP was excited to share what he thought was in his opinion as a positive thing to the game. Simply put you could have just said I disagree because the OP has no facts. He does however play, and perhaps he has seen first hand more players online. Either way, his experience is his own and I would take the word of someone who has been there rather than from someone who is merely googleing for negative answers.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

I noticed something interesting this weekend.

They lifted the server capacities again. Significant changes to the caps overnight.

Oderint, dum metuant.

You sure you want to claim that?  Considering devs confirmed it, and then they said they would work on changing it, when people were outraged that people were phased in the same wvwvw battle and looking at a different set of players from one another. 

You literally have no reason to automatically claim it never happened, because it was already confirmed, so ask yourself why you immediately jumped to claim it never happened, without actually doing any research about whether it did or not. 

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Originally posted by Volkon

They lifted the server capacities again. Significant changes to the caps overnight.

Yeah they seem to do this quite a bit because I notice the server's one week say very high or high the next high for a week or 2 then back up to very high and the lower ones drop up and down as well. And if your offering a free weekend you have to make room on some of the high servers.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

• jerlot65jerlot65 Member UncommonPosts: 788

The new manifesto is about the same as the old one, but without the paragraph structure. That clearly confused some people that thought a single player in a MMORPG could change the game for everyone else.

If there is one thing that you can clearly point in the manifesto is that your home instance is irrelevant after the first few levels.

Quest scripts are so basic you need to have them in your journal (this is a flag system so that the game knows to drop you the items/grant you the kills and in most games it is limited byhow many you can have simultaneously) to complete them and there is no change in the world, not even for 30 seconds, as you complete the quest. Mobs were there you kill some mobs, the same mobs and NPCs are in the same position.

In GW2 you can see the mobs/NPCs moving, after you destroyed the centaur camp, the NPC allies come and take over it - it is visual and occurs in real time.

And then in an hour the centaurs are back and you can redo the whole "dynamic quest" again.  Dont get me wrong, its definitely better than the static type quests in other MMO's.  But its not as dynamic and world changing as GW 2 first promised.   Heck last night the same "dynamic" quests popped up 3 times in a two hour session, thats not really world changing.

This thread got reduced to the manifesto but for good reason.  Their manifesto is a good goal, but they have not reached that goal.

Originally posted by jerlot65

And then in an hour the centaurs are back and you can redo the whole "dynamic quest" again.  Dont get me wrong, its definitely better than the static type quests in other MMO's.  But its not as dynamic and world changing as GW 2 first promised.   Heck last night the same "dynamic" quests popped up 3 times in a two hour session, thats not really world changing.

This thread got reduced to the manifesto but for good reason.  Their manifesto is a good goal, but they have not reached that goal.

I'd say if you polled the players online right now they wouldn't have a clue as to what the manifesto is.

I could ask how a delicious cupcake was made, what ingredients were in it, and what temperature it was baked at, or just enjoy it.  Most are just playing and having a great time. That is probably all the deeper it needs to be imho.

Originally posted by nolic1

Yeah they seem to do this quite a bit because I notice the server's one week say very high or high the next high for a week or 2 then back up to very high and the lower ones drop up and down as well. And if your offering a free weekend you have to make room on some of the high servers.

Yep they seem to tinker with server caps a lot, some say it is because a trial weekend is coming up, but it seems like they adjust the caps up and down frequently to maintain a certain image of the game.

Originally posted by jerlot65

People just let their imagination fly too much.

Sure, they could have contained expectations and they didn't, but for anyone that has a remote idea of how software works know that what you are talking about is years to come.

I imagine many people will be disappointed with EQ:Next if they imagine something similar.

You sure you want to claim that?  Considering devs confirmed it, and then they said they would work on changing it, when people were outraged that people were phased in the same wvwvw battle and looking at a different set of players from one another. 

You literally have no reason to automatically claim it never happened, because it was already confirmed, so ask yourself why you immediately jumped to claim it never happened, without actually doing any research about whether it did or not. 

Yes, I want to claim this.

But if it is confirmed I'm sure you can find links for it.

You just don't know what people are talking when they said "phased".

They were referring to culling, which meant people couldn't see the enemy and not that they were in a different instance of the same WvW battle.

--------------------------------------------------------------

And to the posters that actually play the game I've one word and a few images.

LIADRI!

They were referring to culling, which meant people couldn't see the enemy and not that they were in a different instance of the same WvW battle.

LIADRI!

Ah I see the problem here, you don't actually know what phasing is, phasing means you are in the same spot in the same persistent world but what you see is different than what others see.  It has nothing to do with instances...  So basically you are denying they did something, because you are defensive of anet, but you don't even know what you are denying.... lol

• nolic1nolic1 Member UncommonPosts: 716
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by nolic1

Yep they seem to tinker with server caps a lot, some say it is because a trial weekend is coming up, but it seems like they adjust the caps up and down frequently to maintain a certain image of the game.

When have they ever lowered them?

Well I never said they go lower my self I said I see where they go up and down that is they go up then down then up again not they go get less but more.

Sherman's Gaming

Youtube Content creator for The Elder Scrolls Online

Channel:http://https//www.youtube.com/channel/UCrgYNgpFTRAl4XWz31o2emw

LIADRI!

Ah I see the problem here, you don't actually know what phasing is, phasing means you are in the same spot in the same persistent world but what you see is different than what others see.  It has nothing to do with instances...  So basically you are denying they did something, because you are defensive of anet, but you don't even know what you are denying.... lol

Nope.

You don't know what they were talking about and as expected you have no links to "the confirmed phasing".

You said people weren't playing together.

They were playing together.

The problem is that due to culling people would become invisible, especially those that could stealth (this is everyone via mesmer skill) and so you could be killed by an invisible army.

There was no phasing like in WoW - everyone was in the same spot and could kill each other, they just couldn't see each other due to culling, which meant that there would be a delay in drawing the models in the client side.

That is obvious since GW2 has no phasing system, but keep trying.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Culling

Although achieving these aims, Culling has led to numerous problems due to nearby players and NPCs becoming completely invisible. While this is considered a problem throughout both PvE and WvW, it has been a particular problem within WvW, where the number of players during many battles is considerably larger than the chosen limit, resulting in numerous enemy players not being visible to opposing forces.

Culling has been removed from WvW with the March 26, 2013 update.

[...]

As you move your character in a direction, new characters/NPCs will gradually phase into the scene (taking a few seconds) while those behind you disappear. This phasing in was one of the issues affecting WvW stealthy characters, and providing them with a few seconds of extra invisibility as they came out of stealth.

Nothing like someone not understanding the lingo of a game to know it hasn't played much of it.