Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

The WOW killers are two years off

ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common

EQ Next, Titan, gosh knows what else, are probably a couple of years off at least.  

So that leaves WOW as the most polished supported game out there.  WOW.  Can they hold onto all those players in EU/NA and China?  Can they do it?  And what can we expect from future expansions?

Comments

• ChrisboxChrisbox Monroe, NJPosts: 1,707Member Uncommon
    Lol EQN isn't going to kill anything.  It will have its place no doubt, but your comparing a trinity MMO to what appears to be a gw2/minecraft hybrid.  

Played-Everything
    Playing-FFXIV:ARR

• ReallyNow10ReallyNow10 Pile It High Town, LAPosts: 2,010Member Common
    I don't know, I think the people who want to build things will at least head off to EQ Next, or even Minecraft, and WOW could be without crafters in any number.
    Originally posted by ReallyNow10
    I don't know, I think the people who want to build things will at least head off to EQ Next, or even Minecraft, and WOW could be without crafters in any number.

No definitly it will have a following, like I said there is a place for it.  But you can't compare the audiences of that games and WoW's, two completely different games.   If WoW dies it's because it killed itself, whether that be because of lackluster expansion or just age I will let someone else determine when that time comes.  

Played-Everything

Originally posted by Chrisbox

No definitly it will have a following, like I said there is a place for it.  But you can't compare the audiences of that games and WoW's, two completely different games.   If WoW dies it's because it killed itself, whether that be because of lackluster expansion or just age I will let someone else determine when that time comes.  

I'm thinking WOW Is ten years old almost, and that could be a huge factor.  Being level 90 and queuing is getting real old, real fast for a lot of folks, even ones with tons of 90's and leveled up skills and gear, etc...

I think a lot of folks are waiting to jump ship and the next first class MMO to come along will snag scores of them; huge numbers.

Now, I could be wrong, I'm no Stephen Hawking.  I'm just thinking between EQNext and Titan, WOW is going to be hurting.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,778Member Uncommon
    Lol EQN isn't going to kill anything.  It will have its place no doubt, but your comparing a trinity MMO to what appears to be a gw2/minecraft hybrid.  

yeah i dont think trinity games and non trinity games belong to the same arena.
     They are clearly made for different audiences.

EQN wont kill WoW, and Titan Wont kill WoW. Titan is a free to play (or buy to play)  game (BLizzard is using WoW as a test bed for the cash shop they will add  to Titan). Only BLizz will kill WoW if their future expansions dont change the course of the game a bit. People are getting tired of doing the same things since 2004. They are slowly adding different twists, but the main meat of the game is still the same thing.

• DragonMyth88DragonMyth88 Orlando, FLPosts: 242Member Uncommon

I got to agree with the OP, WoW is an old bird that should have died once Arthus died and I didn't even play Wrath of the lich King

Originally posted by rojo6934

EQN wont kill WoW, and Titan Wont kill WoW. Titan is a free to play game (BLizzard is using WoW as a test bed for the cash shop they will add  to Titan). Only BLizz will kill WoW if their future expansions dont change the course of the game a bit. People are getting tired of doing the same things since 2004. They are slowly adding different twists, but the main meat of the game is still the same thing.

The age of the game is still a problem.  Even if they try "new twists" with expansions, it's still a long way soloing from 1-90, much of it through some expansions folks really hated.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid hell, NJPosts: 6,778Member Uncommon

EQN wont kill WoW, and Titan Wont kill WoW. Titan is a free to play game (BLizzard is using WoW as a test bed for the cash shop they will add  to Titan). Only BLizz will kill WoW if their future expansions dont change the course of the game a bit. People are getting tired of doing the same things since 2004. They are slowly adding different twists, but the main meat of the game is still the same thing.

The age of the game is still a problem.  Even if they try "new twists" with expansions, it's still a long way soloing from 1-90, much of it through some expansions folks really hated.

people who hated them are already gone, the 7.7 million remaining are still enjoying the game (me included on and off).

But it depends on BLizzard that the game stays as the king for many more years. Morhaime said that Titan will most likely Not have subscription, that automatically place is aside from WoW, not against it. THey wouldnt want to bleed people form their most popular game jsut to fill another game. They want more people.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,818Member Uncommon

It doesn't work like that.

World of Warcraft number of players is dropping because old players leave (as it is normal) and new players don't join the game.

For people that already invested over $1K+ and thousands of hours it doesn't matter what is coming out or not - most wont even try the new stuff.

For new players on the other hand, why should they pick WoW?

There is a ton of other MMORPGs they can choose from and they do.

WoW has been dropping players for 2 years now and there is nothing in the horizon that will prevent it.

For new players WoW isn't the best MMORPG available.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

So is this thread now reasons WoW is going to die soon or, comparing trinity games to non trinity games. 

I have no idea where you are going with this OP, the death of WoW has been discussed for almost a decade now.  

Played-Everything

• page975page975 Scranton, PAPosts: 312Member

Three factors keeping WoW alive :

1) It's still a fade. As new generations of kids in schools come about, others are telling each other they better play WoW if they are to be cool. This will slowly be less and less as generations of kids become of age.

2) High end guilds. This will slowly die to, as the game is changing for the worst, and just plain old longevity. Friendships are strong but will be over come by time.

3) All else is garbage. Add to the fact that developers are playing around with F2P and cash shops. Marketing is deteriorating mmos as of late, but will end when players get sick of it. Will go back to normal once a developer comes out with a good sub based mmo, others will follow.

I think :

EQ Next - Not a chance, developers are doing some strange things that will not be embraced.

Elder Scrolls Online - Mega server and heavy PvP will be it's downfall.

FF14 - Asian mmos are a niche for Westerners. ( I'm somewhat excited about it )

Wildstar - So far It's looking good, but that's only on paper ( remember Warhammer )

Titan - This game will be released with every flaw that WoW has now.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo HindPosts: 662Member
    GW2 will release in China soon and that will bring a lot of new asian players, also they will release new content exclusive for the china release, which will bring new hairstyles etc and better beginner system to learn players about the game and more. I think GW2 release in China will take 2-3 million players from WoW.

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Las Vegas, NVPosts: 606Member Uncommon

EQN doesn't have a chance at even knocking off a dead leaf from a dead tree.

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,291Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by InFlamestwo
    GW2 will release in China soon and that will bring a lot of new asian players, also they will release new content exclusive for the china release, which will bring new hairstyles etc and better beginner system to learn players about the game and more. I think GW2 release in China will take 2-3 million players from WoW.

GW2 didnt have any effect on WoW so i don't really see how a release in China will affect anything - WoW's presence there has been fairly minimal anyway. GW2 will also struggle in China just because of the Plethora of more localised MMO's that are  in tune with the aesthetics of the area, if anything GW2 will probably be seen as an ugly cousin.image

• monstermmomonstermmo Glendale, CAPosts: 1,062Member
    Well, I'd be surprised if Blizzard doesn't take the same ideas from EQ Next and put them into WoW. I look forward to EQ Next that's for sure.

Jeremiah 8:21 I weep for the hurt of my people; I stand amazed, silent, dumb with grief.
    Join me on Raptr Steam Facebook Twitter Gameverse

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Privacy Preferred, NCPosts: 1,059Member

First it was RIFT. Then it was a sure bet in SWTOR. Then the last hope appeared and it was GW2. Not one of them, not a single one, managed to even dent WOW's armor clad player base. They were all fat kids that puked and flopped in PE class. The only WOW killer is WOW itself, the team, and the ownership at this point.

As a matter of fact the entire WOW killer idea and label has been an industry killer over the past decade responsible for more market failures than nearly any other concept. "Let's clone WOW and do it better" to take their player base on has been the single worst development idea in history.

The games that have succeeded, like WOW and EVE Online made their own niche to market to players. The next game that does this will be a success too.

• InFlamestwoInFlamestwo HindPosts: 662Member
    Originally posted by Phry

GW2 didnt have any effect on WoW so i don't really see how a release in China will affect anything - WoW's presence there has been fairly minimal anyway. GW2 will also struggle in China just because of the Plethora of more localised MMO's that are  in tune with the aesthetics of the area, if anything GW2 will probably be seen as an ugly cousin.image

GW2 had effect on WoW. Atleast 2 million players left WoW for GW2, maybe not all of those 2 million are playing GW2 now, but they are not playing WoW. GW2 will make changes to the china version of GW2 to fit the chinese playstyle better, they will have their own servers and right to change stuff to fit the chinese players.

• ShrillyShrilly Citra, FLPosts: 380Member Uncommon
    Before i read anything i want to state there will never be a WoW killer. WoW will stick around as long as it has a fan base and it always will. No i am not one but i may be back someday.
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter BristolPosts: 2,818Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Phry

WoW presence in China is small?

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ArakaziArakazi OxfordPosts: 889Member
    Nothing will kill WoW. It will just fade away in the end due to a mixture of old age and poor expansions.
  • TalRashaTalRasha GroningenPosts: 827Member
    Originally posted by Arakazi
    Nothing will kill WoW. It will just fade away in the end due to a mixture of old age and poor expansions.

That means old age and poor expansion will kill it in the end... slowly...

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,533Member Uncommon

EQ Next, Titan, gosh knows what else, are probably a couple of years off at least.  

So that leaves WOW as the most polished supported game out there.  WOW.  Can they hold onto all those players in EU/NA and China?  Can they do it?  And what can we expect from future expansions?

why do people always say oh the next mmo is going to be a WoW killer.. no it wont nothing will.. wow will slowly die off with time like it is now and like all MMORPGs do..

Plus EQ:next is not a couple of years off.. will be with us next year i would think.