Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Never felt so alone...

Comments

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

Sadly there aren't many good options for MMOs that really support grouping.  Basically it all comes down to catering to casual solo players.

Your best bet to get some of the social / old school feel is to find a game that has things you like,  combat style, graphics, character systems,etc.  Then force yourself to level as fast as possible and then jump into the Raids.   

Raids are basically the only content left that supports forming and solid group/guild.  :(

I noticed a couple other threads in the last couple days.. Lonely Gamer.. or something  where a bunch of players were talking about how lame it is to play an MMO solo and it looks like they were trying to pull together and play something.  Maybe you could hook up with them.

• Sk1ppeRSk1ppeR Member Posts: 511
    Well its kind of stupid to start a MMO alone in the first place. Lucky for me I've always had my girlfriend to group up with and we always find some nice people to tag along 
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Volkon

GW2 can be soloed through, but it's best experienced in a guild. Find a nice PvE/PvX guild and you'll see a world of difference if you don't prefer the more relaxed solo pace.

Same can be said for any MMORPG - best experienced in a guild. 

You're right.  So why do people use GW2 as a scapegoat?  People like to blame GW2 for being anti-social, when in reality, the core design of mainstream MMOs is at fault.

Originally posted by DrSmaSh

I am a rather social person or at least I think so. I'm a role player by heart so I always look for social interaction in MMO games. Many times I said hello to someone in GW2, many times I asked if anyone was looking for some group question - not once did anyone say anything back. They were just speeding along doing their own thing. I guess being social would slow them down.

I played WoW from beginning so I remember the old days when you simply had to wait around for a group. Was it annoying? Yes, of course it was - but guess what? That's how I met 90% of people with whom I'd later form a guild. Was even a guild leader of a RP and light raiding guild so don't talk to me about me not wanting to be social.

Fact is, GW2 doesn't put you in to spots where you have a slightest chance of being social with someone. And how can I join a good guild when I don't even meet anyone from said guild? A simple forum recruitment post is not enough.

The reason why I made this thread because it's rather ironic - people zerging on a world boss, but no one talking to anyone (expect some spam) - we just gather there, destroy the evil big monster and we go our separate ways. Is this MMO?

EDIT:

Sorry, just remembered the main problem of GW2 - there is grouping and group content (such was world bosses and harder monsters), but GW2 takes care of everything for you. You just go there and voila - you are grouped. Everything is automated, there is no need to type anything to anyone, it all happens for you. So at least I feel very disconnected from such a group event and a game in general.

You're right.  In GW2 you are automatically grouped up for dungeons and WvW.   ...oh wait.

The problem is you, not the game.  Why is it that last night i joined a group for the latest living story?  Oh that's right, i asked in map chat if anyone wanted to group for some events, and they joined.  Try it.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

The main issue with GW2 is that most of the general content is too easy. I usually play against stuff like 5-10 levels above me to spice things up. Of course, nobody is going to do that.

But, yeah, generally, the solution to not feeling alone in any game is join a guild. It doesn't make the game better, but the social aspect often isn't dictated by the game that much. I know guilds that have fun in horrible games just because they're all in it together.

Originally posted by Sk1ppeR
    Well its kind of stupid to start a MMO alone in the first place.

Why is it stupid? I don't see what's stupid about trying to find people to play with while in the game, it's quite natural.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by grimfall
    Originally posted by flizzer

Talk to people?   I have been playing GW2 since launch and I am currently in 3 guilds and find myself constantly talking to people.  Just because you choose to be unsocial why blame it on the game?

Ive met some terrific people just wandering around the world and helping others out.  Not that difficult just saying "Hi". Great conversation opener!

QFT!!!!

The only shortcoming in Gw2's social aspect in my opinion is the lack of built-in VoIP. I find myself at Mumble the whole time I play Gw2 

LOL.

The only problem with GW2's society is that you have to use outside software to enjoy it.  Besides that. it's perfect!

GW2 fanboys should learn the platinum rule, rather than shouting down anyone who can see obvious flaws in the game.

What MMO has built in VOIP? Which ones? TERA-NO. TSW-NO. SWTOR-NO. RIFT-NO. WoW-NO. LOTRO-NO. AION-NO. Should I go on?

LOTRO has built in VOIP as well as EQ2 the others i dont know about...

• XithrylXithryl Member UncommonPosts: 256

Just to echo what most have already said here. The game isn't the problem here, you just have to open up a bit and talk :P Anytime I feel like the game is getting too lonely, I type into chart "Hi" to the next person I see, 9/10 times they reply and we end up questing together for a bit :)

Even here, I came and talked with a few people, and took the initiative, added Volkon to my friends list, and here and there we talk in game, when I have questions. That would have never happened if I didn't add him, doesn't mean that hes mean or doesn't care, he had no idea I wanted to friend him and talk in game.

Don't take anything for granted, just pop in and try talking, I think you will be surprised at the results ;)

Originally posted by grimfall
    Originally posted by flizzer

Talk to people?   I have been playing GW2 since launch and I am currently in 3 guilds and find myself constantly talking to people.  Just because you choose to be unsocial why blame it on the game?

Ive met some terrific people just wandering around the world and helping others out.  Not that difficult just saying "Hi". Great conversation opener!

QFT!!!!

The only shortcoming in Gw2's social aspect in my opinion is the lack of built-in VoIP. I find myself at Mumble the whole time I play Gw2 

LOL.

The only problem with GW2's society is that you have to use outside software to enjoy it.  Besides that. it's perfect!

GW2 fanboys should learn the platinum rule, rather than shouting down anyone who can see obvious flaws in the game.

What MMO has built in VOIP? Which ones? TERA-NO. TSW-NO. SWTOR-NO. RIFT-NO. WoW-NO. LOTRO-NO. AION-NO. Should I go on?

WoW has built-in voice chat.  It's been there for over 5 years now.  Lotro has built-in voice chat.  There are others, but i can't remember them right now.

• DocProjectDocProject Member Posts: 49

By the way, Lotro does have built in VoIP and it is very functional as well as used by many players.

Also, doesnt EVE, WoW, EQ2, and DDO use voice chat? Don't know about their functionality or usefulness in these games sorry.

• pantheronpantheron Member UncommonPosts: 256

Back when I was leveling, I'd run into a lot of people, and we'd help each other out and not talk. of course 90% of people aren't going to talk to you. do you live in a small town where everyone knows everyone  else? I do and I STILL don't talk to more than 1 or 2 out of 30 people i come across. i think expectations  are too high for a game. in a day, how many people do you talk to by choice that you don't know?  and thats REAL LIFE, where NOTHING gets done alone, where there are always people working together to get major projects done, like dig roads, build houses, surgeries, advance science and medicine, etc. Even when we're forced to group up in real life we hardly talk to each other outside of communicating what  needs to be done a lot of the time. 

I play MMOs for the Forum PVP

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793
    The way the queen's  gauntlet was set up actually enhanced player communication of tips and encouragement, sprinkled with raging at Liadri the Concealed Shadow :)

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• Bad.dogBad.dog Member UncommonPosts: 1,131
    Originally posted by NagelRitter

The main issue with GW2 is that most of the general content is too easy. I usually play against stuff like 5-10 levels above me to spice things up. Of course, nobody is going to do that.

Should check in the mirror a see what colour your eyes are ....sometimes you don't realize when  they have turned brown

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458
    Originally posted by Bad.dog
    Originally posted by NagelRitter

Should check in the mirror a see what colour your eyes are ....sometimes you don't realize when  they have turned brown

Ummnnn what? I agree with Nagel,the general content is too easy. The one that should check the mirror is you,cause clearly you have rose tinted specs on!

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• lazerlike42lazerlike42 Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Xithryl

Just to echo what most have already said here. The game isn't the problem here, you just have to open up a bit and talk :P Anytime I feel like the game is getting too lonely, I type into chart "Hi" to the next person I see, 9/10 times they reply and we end up questing together for a bit :)

Even here, I came and talked with a few people, and took the initiative, added Volkon to my friends list, and here and there we talk in game, when I have questions. That would have never happened if I didn't add him, doesn't mean that hes mean or doesn't care, he had no idea I wanted to friend him and talk in game.

Don't take anything for granted, just pop in and try talking, I think you will be surprised at the results ;)

I think part of the disconnect here is that the "not alone" aspect of MMOs really can't be reduced to having the fortune of grouping with people here and there, nor is it fulfilled simply by having folks to talk to in a guild vent or something. As an example, I'm the kind of person who doesn't usually like grouping with randoms, and sometimes likes to take the headset off and not talk to guildies in the mumble for a bit (though I normally love it).

What's my point? I think that what makes an MMO feel good is what makes real life feel good: having a lived in world that I can share with my friends.  If you go out with friends or family and the streets, the cinema, the "world" in generalbis fairly empty, things can seem very dull and unpleasant. Think of a group of friends living in a small town and being constantly restless because the various social venues feel empty. On the other hand, if the scene is hopping but you have no personal friends to enjoy it with, that's no better.

It's the same in MMOs. Sure, talking to folks in VOIP is great, but it doesn't fulfill the social qualities of an MMO. I voip with friends when I play starcraft all the time, but that doesn't make it a social game. If I have 30 people in Vent and the map chat is dead for 10 minutes, the game is going to feel lonely because, while I have friends, the world doesn't have a social atmosphere to it. Similalrly, I can find a group on demand any time, but if I can't forge any longer term connections over time, then the many groups and other folks on screen don't mean much.

In my experience, GW2 has failed at both of these fronts - whether its the game's fault, the community's, or just plain bad luck. There are a lot of people around, but they don't seem to act very socially. They play together and group together at times, but in a very utilitarian and transient way such that I never feel as though I am forging any longer term connections. At the same time, in those rare cases when I have had a more longstanding personal connection with another player or two, this general pattern of player behavior has left it feeling like the group of friends in the dead small town.

• stevebombsquadstevebombsquad Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by observer

I am a rather social person or at least I think so. I'm a role player by heart so I always look for social interaction in MMO games. Many times I said hello to someone in GW2, many times I asked if anyone was looking for some group question - not once did anyone say anything back. They were just speeding along doing their own thing. I guess being social would slow them down.

I played WoW from beginning so I remember the old days when you simply had to wait around for a group. Was it annoying? Yes, of course it was - but guess what? That's how I met 90% of people with whom I'd later form a guild. Was even a guild leader of a RP and light raiding guild so don't talk to me about me not wanting to be social.

Fact is, GW2 doesn't put you in to spots where you have a slightest chance of being social with someone. And how can I join a good guild when I don't even meet anyone from said guild? A simple forum recruitment post is not enough.

The reason why I made this thread because it's rather ironic - people zerging on a world boss, but no one talking to anyone (expect some spam) - we just gather there, destroy the evil big monster and we go our separate ways. Is this MMO?

EDIT:

Sorry, just remembered the main problem of GW2 - there is grouping and group content (such was world bosses and harder monsters), but GW2 takes care of everything for you. You just go there and voila - you are grouped. Everything is automated, there is no need to type anything to anyone, it all happens for you. So at least I feel very disconnected from such a group event and a game in general.

You're right.  In GW2 you are automatically grouped up for dungeons and WvW.   ...oh wait.

The problem is you, not the game.  Why is it that last night i joined a group for the latest living story?  Oh that's right, i asked in map chat if anyone wanted to group for some events, and they joined.  Try it.

Because that is your experience and not necessarily anyone else's experience.  He obviously felt differently about other MMOs so maybe there is a reason that he feels this way about this one. This is far from the first thread about this and there are lots of posts in this thread with people having a similar experience. If lots of experience people who have played numerous MMOs all claim the same thing, then most likely it is not them, but something about the game that causes it.

James T. Kirk: All she's got isn't good enough! What else ya got?

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by stevebombsquad

EDIT:

Because that is your experience and not necessarily anyone else's experience.  He obviously felt differently about other MMOs so maybe there is a reason that he feels this way about this one. This is far from the first thread about this and their are lots of posts in this thread with people having a similar experience. If lots of experience people who have played numerous MMOs all claim the same thing, then most likely it is not them, but something about the game that causes it.

Yeah they all party for the open world activities like questing.

Right.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893

Everquest 1  was probably the best MMO ever made simply because you practically were forced to group which led to making friends and sometimes even enemies .

Since EQ1 was the last true MMO no one has dared to make a group game since ,  most people want to solo then moan about being alone lol .

• lazerlike42lazerlike42 Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

EDIT:

Because that is your experience and not necessarily anyone else's experience.  He obviously felt differently about other MMOs so maybe there is a reason that he feels this way about this one. This is far from the first thread about this and their are lots of posts in this thread with people having a similar experience. If lots of experience people who have played numerous MMOs all claim the same thing, then most likely it is not them, but something about the game that causes it.

Yeah they all party for the open world activities like questing.

Right.

The point is really that players like myself and others have had no problem meeting people and finding community in other games, yet in GW2 we do.  If we are the constant, then clearly something about the game is in some way different so as to produce these different results.

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616

Never felt so alone in a MMO before and yet there are so many players running around me. Sometimes we are even working together, but no one cares to notice anyone around em. I know the pain of having to wait for a group to show up so you can do some dungeon or group quest or a very hard mob. But at least that way you met other players, you interacted with em. If the group was good you'd add em to your friend list and you'd whisper em to do more stuff together. That's how you made new friends online, that's how MMO games were fun.

Sure it sucked you couldn't do it all alone, but what is the point of a game if you can do everything solo? What's the point of multiplayer game if you simply have no need for other players.

I'd much rather put up with the fact that I can't do everything by myself in an mmo so I can meet new people and have social aspect of MMO, rather than being able to solo everything and feel so alone in a multiplayer game.

And that's the main reason why I stopped playing the game. I just felt so disconnected from everyone else. We were all running around doing our own thing, never bothering to say more than a few words (actually, few words out of someone in GW2 is quite a lot).

I'm not attacking the game, it's not bad for what it is, but it's far from Massive Multiplayer, hack, it's not even multiplayer without massive. What do you guys think? Is this the sad and dark future for MMOs? All solo flight, no social interaction, no need for anyone? Even think that's why there is no holy trinity in GW2 in from of tanks, healers and pure DPS - that would actually bring in the need for interaction.

Are the good old days over? I returned to WoW for 10 days and even it seems lonelier with it's random PUG thing, but still way more social than GW2.

You want forced grouping and that is not what I want. I have played too many games (even in GW1) where we had one person just go AFK, so he could get the XP and not have to do any work. That type of game is still around but it is not for me.

In GW2, You can't do everything by yourself. You can't fight a champion alone (world bosses come to mind - even though you are not in a group close association is your group), you can't do dungeons, you can't do WvWvW alone, you can't do any of the guild missions alone, should I go on?

Yes,go on.....

• FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by BearKnight
    Originally posted by Arcona
    Originally posted by Volkon

Stay away from more archaic MMOs like WoW then where the entire leveling process is solo speed leveling until you're forced to group to proceed through the single lane highway called end game raiding then... it'll drive you nuts. 

Its very stupid not to use the random dungeon finder, it gives fastest exp, teleports you to dungeon, and you get one extra blue item.

They have made the heirlooms so easy to get from the Darkmoon Fairie (you can mail the prizes to alts) or from guild reward, for that 40% extra exp boost 1-85

How is it stupid to want a social encounter with another living person online in order to achieve a goal in-game? The random dungeon finder is the primary responsible mechanic in regards to this problem. It rewards highly anti-social behavior, and at the same time destroys open-world exploration and integration. 

If you can teleport anywhere at a whim the world becomes pointless and meaningless. You might as well be playing a 100% lobby based instanced game. What's the point??

Easier is not always better, and in this case undermines the game as a whole. It is a BAD thing, and is far from "very stupid" not to use. I hope this trend of super-casual hand-holding goes away with time.

I feel your pain but sadly our time is over,no one wants challenge anymore or grouping to achieve what can't be done alone.Just look at all the 'new' games that come out now with their 'action' combat and getting adventure xp for making underpants or picking flowers.

It sickens me but what can you do? We are a minority now and devs obviously know better ($$$$)

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

I see a couple defenders of the game GW2 (who also love to play it) say it's our fault for being anti-social and not speaking to people.

To me, as a very social person, this is asinine.

I go out of my way to talk to people.  I like meeting and talking to people.  But a game like GW2 allows, no, PROMOTES players to ignore others....

Yes, there is group content.  In later stages of the game, it is required.  There is also "area group" content.  You are running around fighting and a big boss pops out that requires more people.  Except with the lack of trinity, you are mostly self sufficient, can still help others without grouping, and never have to speak.

People take that path of least resistance much of the time.  Grouping isn't required for the easiest path, so why bother?

I have had more people ignore my group invitation then not.  Or when they group with me for this one quest or this big boss, they are gone from the group as soon as it ends.  I'm not helping them THIS SECOND, so why group?

I like games that ask you to form your own groups.  To get to know people so you can see how they act and play.  You form friends before getting to that end game stuff.  Rather then hoping some guild will give you a chance to tryout, you know people before hand. 

I'm not saying you can't group in GW2 or anything.  I'm saying the game mechanics and the lack of trinity promote not grouping until end game.

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

welcome to the new and improved mmo where other players are just eye candy.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

EDIT:

Because that is your experience and not necessarily anyone else's experience.  He obviously felt differently about other MMOs so maybe there is a reason that he feels this way about this one. This is far from the first thread about this and there are lots of posts in this thread with people having a similar experience. If lots of experience people who have played numerous MMOs all claim the same thing, then most likely it is not them, but something about the game that causes it.

If you read my other posts, i pointed this out.  It's the way most current MMOs are designed, and GW2 isn't an exception.  However, he's claiming everything is automated in GW2, thus exaggerating his experience, so i pointed it out in a sarcastic manner.

It's also funny that you mention, "He obviously felt differently about other MMOs"..  Really?  With every new MMO that comes out, you'll see the same thing from people like him.  "This MMO is a singleplayer game!", "There is no socialization in this game!", etc...  Go read any WoW forums and you will see the same complaint made 8 years ago, or any other MMO since then.

Ultimately, the problem is with the player.  There are many ways to communicate and socialize in MMOs, but i guess it's just easier to complain about it and blame the game, giving you and others an excuse to bash the newest MMO.

Originally posted by Swanea

I go out of my way to talk to people.  I like meeting and talking to people.  But a game like GW2 allows, no, PROMOTES players to ignore others....

I'm not saying you can't group in GW2 or anything.  I'm saying the game mechanics and the lack of trinity promote not grouping until end game.

Wrong.  It promotes cooperation, while removing all the unnecessary drawbacks, such as: mob-stealing and mob-camping.  This is what players wanted, so they got it, then complain about lack of socialization.  That is far from reality and exaggerated ad nauseum.

As for your last statement.. welcome to every major MMO to be released since EQ.  WoW, Lotro, EQ2, Aion, etc.   All these had group content that was required to level or finish quests, but as time went on, they were removed.

GW2 is no exception, and in fact, GW2 gives the player more freedom to choose, the difficulty of their content; either while leveling or at max level.  An often ignored fact too.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by Mothanos
    This is not a gamers only mentality.
    The whole world is changing around us, the people in your own neighberhood changed, people used to help each other and you had many friends.Here in the Netherlands everything changed so much past 20 years its like a totaly diffrent country now.
    People walking by when they see a girl or a man knocked down on the ground.
    20 years ago the bully would have been thrown in the trunk and drived to the forest to get his share of beating.This was the same mmo's.
    Servers were smaller, your reputation ment something.
    People were much more helpfull back in the days, and had alot more patience to learn you a few tricks.today people check your gear, your spec and if its diffrent of the form you get abused.
    You get kicked, ignored, laughed at, verbaly abused in every sence or way you can imagen.
    The days of social gaming are almost over, unless you find a guild with similar kind of people that are nice.
    But those are extremely hard to find also.
    We need to accept that this is how the world looks like.In gaming and outside the game.
    Only a few nice guys left it seems :)

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development