Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PvP after patch 5.3

Fish_TacosFish_Tacos Member UncommonPosts: 45

I'd like to know how current WoW players feel about the 5.3 pvp changes. I'm not so much concerned about open world pvp (there's another thread on that somewhere), but more about battlegrounds and arena.

How are things working out?

Comments

• Kevyne-ShandrisKevyne-Shandris Member UncommonPosts: 2,077
    Originally posted by PWN_FACE

It's a good question. I wanted to know the same thing. 

Seems like the patch must be good for pvp because the WoW players are busy playing instead of here posting about it. 

They're in LoL and EvE.

Some are returning for 5.4, but the changes (like 55% healing reductions that stack) are going to make whole classes pretty upset. They got their 2 minute fights, but not like they wanted (GW2 style).

With the healing changes (12% mana cost on Judgements for Holy paladins, for example), good luck in finding healers for BG/RBG/Arenas. You'll be needing them, as Frost DKs aren't going to face-roll with self-heals (or half less heals all around). Ferals shapeshifting for a big heal isn't going to help. Rets offheals are borked.

Going to be one CF.

• gamekid2kgamekid2k Member Posts: 360
    My biggest problem with WoW PvP is that they are too short.  People can 3 ~ 4 shot each other.  My taste for pvp is something that last much longer and enjoy the heart pumping moment.

Now Playing: DARKFALL Unholy Wars "Return to Open World, Full Loot PvP, Conquest in a Sandbox MMO with player driven economy! Just like classic MMOs!"

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337
    5.4 is out now so you just need to either do random dungeons ( if tank or healer ) and cash in the justice points for honor pts or just do pvp randoms. They squashed the gear in randoms since everyone has the same resilience so get some heroic gear from dungeons and then que up .
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,025

The biggest change is the normalization of gear between pvp and pve. Pvp gear is most effective in instanced pvp where there are limitations and gear caps. It is a playground designed for sport-like pvp.

In open world simply wear your best gear, be it pve or pvp gear. Pvp power can't make up for vastly superior pve gear especially if you are a healer as you only get a + to healing out of it so if you want to fight back you must wear gear with the best pve stats.

All in all the game is better balanced than nearly any other time. All the same complaints will exist and always exist. You will not be 3 shot if gear score is the same between players. Nearly all 3 shot complaints come from gear disparity or situational proc bonuses. Popping any one of your several defensive cool downs will easily keep you alive during such times.

I have many issues with Wow but for now I choose to ignore them for the fun it does offer. One thing I do enjoy though is Blizz finally giving up on class vs class balance. Players got too used to it in the past but the simple fact is that one class might pwn you every time on equal footing while you stomp others. This is a good thing imo as mmo's should always be about larger battles and not instanced little play grounds that have nothing to do with the larger game.

I do still enjoy old fashioned mmo style pvp but it does feel slightly aged (or too familiar perhaps) and I prefer more WAR/Swtor style themepark pvp with the slightly more advanced mechanics (i.e. guard, better CC mechanics imo, etc). I also like active dodging and it just so happens that I played a gunslinger with a class specific roll mechanic and I now play a monk ... with a class specific roll mechanic. :)

On a side note: I also was extremely upset over the talent system change at first but I now see that it was indeed a total failure. You were forced into specific builds anyway and due to that you could never take specific abilities you wished you had by default. Well guess what? Blizz did quite a good job now of simply giving you the majority of the class flavor by default and now you have access to vastly more useful options with the current talent system. Each spec is now complete and not a mix of crap from various trees because "it worked better than others". It is now  "you get everything you need and still have choices". It may not be the best system if you do like open skill systems more but it is a "better" system than before. In fact many classes now end up with more abilities and function than before.

You stay sassy!