Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here is a serious idea on how to solve the character style issue.

ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

EQN Landmark is going to let talented player artists design the buildings of EQN, dungeons of EQN and many other parts of the world.

Player Studio is going to let talented player artists design the weapons, armor and many other things for the world of EQN.

Obvious solution - let talented player artists design some alternate racial models.  Obviously this is HARD, probably VERY HARD.  Models need to be animated, etc.   But, just like there are very talented people out there that can design a castle and a set of armor, i'm sure there are very talented people out there that can design cool models.  (Or in the case of the EQN Kerra model, i'm sure there are some kindergarten children with crayons that given 20-30 minutes can probably do better.)

I would very happily pay my way in station cash for a better Kerra model to play.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
Currently Playing: ESO

Comments

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    its a lot of work.. sure you have a nice character model but then you need to design each bit of armour and equipment and so on to fit the new model..
  • AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Or we could wait and see what sort of customization is possible during and after character creation. Maybe the kitty has 10 types of big cats to choose from (lion, tigers, jaguar, panther, bobcat), each with multiple basic heads and each customizable (eyes, ears, teeth, fur, etc). If no one picks the goofy lion, maybe they will fix it to what people want, wouldn't be the first time this has happened.
  • OfficialFlowOfficialFlow Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by arieste

EQN Landmark is going to let talented player artists design the buildings of EQN, dungeons of EQN and many other parts of the world.

Player Studio is going to let talented player artists design the weapons, armor and many other things for the world of EQN.

Obvious solution - let talented player artists design some alternate racial models.  Obviously this is HARD, probably VERY HARD.  Models need to be animated, etc.   But, just like there are very talented people out there that can design a castle and a set of armor, i'm sure there are very talented people out there that can design cool models.  (Or in the case of the EQN Kerra model, i'm sure there are some kindergarten children with crayons that given 20-30 minutes can probably do better.)

I would very happily pay my way in station cash for a better Kerra model to play.  

the character style isnt an issue that needs to be solved it was a design choice, live with it or move on

• leoo88556leoo88556 Member Posts: 135

Almost impossible...

If that happens the game will be filled with characters look like they're from all sorts of different mmo.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Allein
    Or we could wait and see what sort of customization is possible during and after character creation. Maybe the kitty has 10 types of big cats to choose from (lion, tigers, jaguar, panther, bobcat), each with multiple basic heads and each customizable (eyes, ears, teeth, fur, etc). If no one picks the goofy lion, maybe they will fix it to what people want, wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

Indeed.  We aren't going to go away from the base stylization, but it seems that Rosie is open to design flexibility.  For instance, she opened her Twitter up to opinions on creating more than just beautiful character models.  She also read the post (and probably other posts judging by the plethora of them) regarding the "Tony the Tiger" comment, so she is aware that the community has things to say-- and it appears she's listening to some of it.  This, I believe, is part and parcel with Dave's position on having open lines of communication so the community can help build the game.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by OfficialFlow

the character style isnt an issue that needs to be solved it was a design choice, live with it or move on

you're right, the character style isn't an issue to be solved.  many EQ players hating it is the issue.  Most MMO companies - SOE among them - would rather make adjustments to their games than lose their most loyal customers.    

Many of the successful MMOs - especially those that have lasted for many years - have had major graphics and character model revamps over the years, both in terms of style and in terms of quality.   For example, EQ2 added a whole secondary set of humanoid models based on customer feedback on the original humanoid models.  

"Moving on" from a promising new game just because one or two aspects of it don't suit you are just a sign of narrow-mindedness.  Players not providing feedback or potential solutions throughout development and developers not making changes based on that feedback is how bad MMOs get released.  SOE seems very interested taking player feedback seriously.

Having certain types of weapons and armor in EQN is also a design choice, yet the developers are going to let players design different ones.  Welcome to the new and interactive world of creating MMOs.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

Originally posted by leoo88556

If that happens the game will be filled with characters look like they're from all sorts of different mmo.

It happens with weapons, armor and house items in EQ, EQ2, Planetside and other SOE games already.  Yet those games aren't filled with things that look like they're from a different MMO.

Obviously, one wouldn't be able to cut and paste a character model from (for example) EVE into EQN,  one would need to use the EQN-specific tools and the model - just like other stuff - would need to be approved before being added. 

- Raph Koster

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

I don't believe this feature will be in at launch or ever, we will see though.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• diabeldiabel Member UncommonPosts: 36
    Originally posted by OfficialFlow

you're right, the character style isn't an issue to be solved.  many EQ players hating it is the issue.  Most MMO companies - SOE among them - would rather make adjustments to their games than lose their most loyal customers.    

Many of the successful MMOs - especially those that have lasted for many years - have had major graphics and character model revamps over the years, both in terms of style and in terms of quality.   For example, EQ2 added a whole secondary set of humanoid models based on customer feedback on the original humanoid models.  

Yes model revamps happen but usually due to outdated graphics not because of complaints from customers. Customers love to complain but praise much less meaning for example for each complaint you have 100 silent customers who like the style.

EQN doesn't have some outdated graphics it has gorgeous atmospheres and extremely detailed and smoothly animated characters. Personally I love the look of the human characters it's just the lion that is creating all this attention because it's just to childish looking, in a bad way. My guess is they will fix the lion sticking with current art style because it's got a great fantasy vibe.

Originally posted by Markusrind
    Originally posted by Allein

[mod edit]

[mod edit] it's easier to make changes to models during the early stages of development, when they haven't been fully completed yet than it will be to make those changes once the game is released and everyone is able to fully check out character creation.  

Also, personally, I'm not angry.  I just want a very promising game to be as good as it can be, so that i will enjoy it more.  I want to help make this happen in any way I can.  At the moment, this is limited to providing feedback and suggestions as has been asked for by the developers.    

As far as I am concerned, it doesn't take a whole lot of "brain engagement" to just wait, see and then quit if you don't like it. 

- Raph Koster

• SengiSengi Member CommonPosts: 350
    Originally posted by leoo88556

Almost impossible...

You, would not need to create a whole new character with all its parts and animations from scratch. I could be only parts of it. This could be as simple as adding a new complexion. This would be only a picture file. 

I don't know much about 3D-modeling but what I have seen is that it all automatically scales and merges. You can slip one armor mesh over all kinds of differed skeletons and it will automatically adapt itself. I believe modern graphic engines are pretty powerful in this regard. So I guess in the end doing new character graphics would not be that different from doing new Items, it will probably only need more testing to look for clipping errors and such. 

Is there someone who knows more about 3D modeling?

• SawlstoneSawlstone Member Posts: 301
    Is there any possiblity of using the Player Studio to make some high-quality Hentai?
  • ArskaaaArskaaa Member RarePosts: 1,265
    Originally posted by Sawlstone
    Is there any possiblity of using the Player Studio to make some high-quality Hentai?

i know what u think too:p

that human female looks damm sexy in EQN.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Well in part i believe they will do like most games do and repeat the same model over and over,they are not looking for a myriad of different models.It is really amazing how dev teams manage to fool gamer's,not realizing two models they think are different are not.

A simple trick is to make one model bigger than the other with the same proportions.Then add a different hair color,some tattoos ect ect all the while using the exact same model.

As to player made ideas,i still remember when SOE held that contest to hire a female artist out of college/university.It came off as a great idea,but in reality,they dissected everything she did and told her what she could and couldn't do,so not really your own creation when chopped up by SOE.

They will be looking for very limited ideas,like low poly that still might  look good,they are not going to allow 50k poly models.

Don't forget ,this is PR /marketing work that SOE is doing,they are not going to give you everything on the straight up and up,lots of vague and misleading statements and videos.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Originally posted by Sawlstone

You can already make swords that look like all kinds things, but devs still decide if they want it in the game or not. 

Anyway, since the game is only in alpha-state jet, I think there is still hope that the models we have seen are not final but only some prototypes without all the customization options, to show off the engine and what the art style could be.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    What is the character style issue?
    Originally posted by Wizardry

As to player made ideas,i still remember when SOE held that contest to hire a female artist out of college/university. ...

Really, where I live it is illegal to do gender or age specific job advertisements. And I thought California was progressive. 

• HarafnirHarafnir Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Was done in EQ2, so not impossible.

"This is not a game to be tossed aside lightly.
    It should be thrown with great force"

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146

I am a computer animator and 3D designer and I LOVE the art style, at least for the human, I don't want to change it, I want more examples, and a hugh amount of body animations, combined with SOEmote the possibilities are endless. I may be asking for help here from anyone who has some spare time on a project relating to this issue later.

The lion of course is horrible.