Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fewer Skills, Less Actionbars - Action Combat? Is this the new trend?

TalintTalint Member UncommonPosts: 168

Yesterday I posed this question - http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/392500/Why-Are-People-Against-the-Holy-Trinity-in-Games.html - asking why people are against the "Holy Trinity"

Today I will pose this question.  Is the new trend of MMOs, action oriented, fewer skills,  and less hotbars?  If you look at the old juggernauts of the MMO world, EQ 1, EQ 2, and Vanilla WoW, you literally were able to use all of your skills (usually 30+) at any given point.  You were not limited to 8, 10, or 12.  Fast forward 10 - 12 years later and you see games like GW2 with this action styled dodging and rolling around, while only being able to use a set amount of your skills during a single combat period.

Is this the way MMOs are leaning?  What I think to be a more casualized, less intensive, easier learning style?  Are MMO companies attempting to make combat more fun?  Or are they instead trying to make it easier for the younger (or older) gamer?

I look forward to hearing back from all of you,

Talint

Non sibi sed patriae

Comments

• DragonMyth88DragonMyth88 Member UncommonPosts: 245

I think they are trying to make it more like the CGI trailers we see with combat involved, where the moving,dodging,parrying are not automatic and require there own hotkeys. Also usually games with 30+ spells use the same spell animation with a different color in each spell but its just the same but with stylized combat you click an ability and it uses multiple animations in some games.

• TalintTalint Member UncommonPosts: 168
    Originally posted by DragonMyth88

I think they are trying to make it more like the CGI trailers we see with combat involved, where the moving,dodging,parrying are not automatic and require there own hotkeys. Also usually games with 30+ spells use the same spell animation with a different color in each spell but its just the same but with stylized combat you click an ability and it uses multiple animations in some games.

While I do agree that with the 30+ skills, a lot of them do use the same animation with different colors, the skills still do different things.  So animations become a little more obsolete.

Non sibi sed patriae

• ice-vortexice-vortex Member UncommonPosts: 960
    You were limited 8 spell slots in Everquest 1. This was continued in Guild Wars 1, but the popularity of World of Warcraft made the design of multiple ability bars more common in games. It is only now resurfacing when companies realized it wasn't such a great idea to just copy World of Warcraft verbatim.
  • darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581

I always like the action styled combat system in rpg games since champions online. I don't mind the action bars getting shorter to a few slots to use such as 7 slots on one bar, when I play world of warcraft where I have to used alot of keys to use certain abilities, I end up binding keys 6-= and others on keys that don't even use, like strafing and unused keys such as q, e, r, f, mostly anything near my wasd control keys, so I could have faster reaction times on pressing certain keys, just got to makes sure I press the right one.

I like Action Combat better because it's more faster pace to where combat usually ends at 1-10 seconds, while in dungeons, sometimes depending on how hard the boss is and the mechanics of the boss itself, will take at least 7-12 minutes to take down or more. It's not your typical game to just "stand there and spam fireballs" type of combat like other mmorpg games, it's more fast pace and I always perfer to throw fireballs point blank against enemies, and if that certain game got physics, I will see that body fly 3 miles away from me.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by ice-vortex
    You were limited 8 spell slots in Everquest 1.

that's not really true, this was only in the very very beginning of the game

Originally posted by Kiyoris

That's not the original Everquest.

That pic is Everquest. If you say "Everquest had only 8 spell slots", you're kind of juggling with the truth.

Everquest had hundreds of spell and ability slots, it was only in the very very early beginning that it had 8.

Specifying that is kind of important.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Other posters are talking about returning to the roots of older MMOs that also had limited slot bars. It is and it isn't the same. The differences now are that we now have action combat. and we have very limited customization of action bars. One of the biggest complaints about GW2 is the shallowness of it's combat system. And I think it's a direct result of the inability choose what your abilities are outside tying them to the weapon you equip. And then to only have 5 slots change. This really limits what you can do.

That pic is Everquest. If you say "Everquest had only 8 spell slots", you're kind of juggling with the truth.

Everquest had hundreds of spell and ability slots, it was only in the very early beginning that it had 8.

It's definitely Everquest, but not the original Everquest. They bastardized the game by trying to adopt many of the WoW designs. EQ had 8 spells slots through at least the first few expansions.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    If you can dumb down those 30 abilities into one damage / threat / heal priority supermacro, what's the point? Have yet to play a hotbar game that I haven't been able to supermacro. I'd rather have 8 meaningful and strategic skills like in EQN or GW1, than 30+ skills that get shoved into one button like on EQ, EQ2, WoW, Rift etc.

It's definitely Everquest, but not the original Everquest. They bastardized the game by trying to adopt many of the WoW designs. EQ had 8 spells slots through at least the first few expansions.

Sigh, what does WoW have to do with EQ's spell slot. It came from the increased demand from the community and the constantly increasing AA system. Anyway......

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    If you let them, they'll take the rpg right out of your mmo.
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

Everquest had hundreds of spell and ability slots, it was only in the very very early beginning that it had 8.

The picture listed is from recent EQ, after many many UI changes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWisI2lSc_A

This is the original UI.

• stayBlindstayBlind Member UncommonPosts: 512
    A game needs at least 150,000 skills on the screen, or it is for noobs and it sucks.

Little forum boys with their polished cyber toys: whine whine, boo-hoo, talk talk.

• kallidor2635kallidor2635 Member Posts: 3
    I actually like the action oriented combat style. I think SOE can get it right. I think it is more challenging when you have a limited amount of skills rather than having a billion of them on your screen. Think about it, if you have 30+ hotbars you could face roll your keyboard and win. With 8, it forces you to be more tactical and to prepare and adapt for each situation. Also, from what I get from it, it seems like we will be able to have 2 weapon sets, similar to GW2. So right there, you have 8 weapon, class-related skills, then four character (class) skills, for a total of 12 at any given time. And of course you can switch out spells whenever. Also, I think one of the reasons why they made it 8 is because they plan to bring it to the PS4 (they are already bringing DC Universe Online and Planet Side 2 to PS4, both of which are F2P) and 8 works perfectly on a PS4 controller (X, square, triangle and circle + R or L buttons)
    Originally posted by agnostic4eve

This is the original UI.

Yes, the original UI that lasted less than 2 years before it was overhauled and spell slots were added through AA immediately after. EQ has been using more than 8 for over a decade.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

The "coonsolification" of pc games? Maybe... Hope not, I have absolutely no use for consoles. I don't have any use for the whole hyperkinetic b.s of "action" combat either.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Other posters are talking about returning to the roots of older MMOs that also had limited slot bars. It is and it isn't the same. The differences now are that we now have action combat. and we have very limited customization of action bars. One of the biggest complaints about GW2 is the shallowness of it's combat system. And I think it's a direct result of the inability choose what your abilities are outside tying them to the weapon you equip. And then to only have 5 slots change. This really limits what you can do.

It has less to do with going back to the roots of older MMOs and acknowledging that World of Warcraft's design of multiple ability bars was just stupid.

Yeah, and you still have to ask.....Why was it necessary to add those bars?

(hint: Becasue they were needed)

The game designers perform an enhancement to the UI because it was a needed change but that part has to be dismissed because a new system that has only surface similarities but is the only example of a successful implementation is being challenged.

But history says, it really wasn't all that successful, so that has to be omitted.

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It has less to do with going back to the roots of older MMOs and acknowledging that World of Warcraft's design of multiple ability bars was just stupid.

No, 5 slots being tied to weapons is just stupid. WoW had options, more options is always better than few options. If being a minimalist makes you more efficient, then guess what? In WoW, you can run with a single bar. In fact, there were popular addons that did exactly that.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by ice-vortex It's definitely Everquest, but not the original Everquest. They bastardized the game by trying to adopt many of the WoW designs. EQ had 8 spells slots through at least the first few expansions.
    Sigh, what does WoW have to do with EQ's spell slot. It came from the increased demand from the community and the constantly increasing AA system. Anyway......

Well and truely said! Yes EQ1 changed things well before precious WoW (and the WoW-ification of MMO's). and the classes had more then just the 8 abilities, you could only have the 8 loaded at a time, as a Shaman back in those days I would quick sit and swap out ones constantly to keep up buffs (of which there were many) on party members through our adventuring. They also had sense enough to get rid of having your screen stuck covered with your spell-book while meditating.

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405

This is the original UI.

Yes, the original UI that lasted less than 2 years before it was overhauled and spell slots were added through AA immediately after. EQ has been using more than 8 for over a decade.

Yes, but that is also the point. People wanted a reskin of Original EQ. EQ only had 8 spell slots. Now you still can only have as many slots as you need for AA's, which means you need to purchase the AA's that have the abilities and then slot them. it is not like EQ2, WoW or SWTOR that by time a character is level 50 they have so many abilities you need 5 bars to be able to see the abilities. Even though EQ allows you to have that many ability slots, you will never use that many.

Personally, I am welcoming EQNext and it's lack of hot buttons. Now a days in Rift, EQ2, WoW, SWTOR, you name the game. You either have a macro to play your game for you (which means you really aren't playing the game, just copy/pasting whatever macro you googled) or you are running the googled rotation of the month. If I hear another player ask me "What rotation do you run with" or "What's your macro" one more fucking time, I'll reach through my damn monitor and strangle the asstard.

It's a game, you play it, if you need a fucking macro or rotation to think for you, go play Life, or Monopoly, because seriously, thinking is hard, right? These are thing no player should be forced into. PvP and raids should not be broken down into who's macro or rotation is the best. That is not skill, that's google.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I love how people think that more skills makes it more strategic and complex. If its so engaging, why are these games the most multi-boxed / botted? Oh that's right, because it isn't complex or engaging at all. You can download programs that can play EQ, EQ2 and WoW for you, that's how simple the multi-hotbar 30+ skill systems are.
    "It's a game, you play it, if you need a fucking macro or rotation to think for you, go play Life, or Monopoly, because seriously, thinking is hard, right?"

I am sorry, but I am going to disagree with this.  There is going to ALWAYS be a way to output the greatest amount of damage.  This is done via a rotation.  Some rotations are better than others, and there will always be a 'best' rotation - that is how MMos are.  So please don't say that "if you need a rotation to play, go play something else because thinking is hard" - that is very ignorant.

Non sibi sed patriae

Originally posted by evilastro
    I love how people think that more skills makes it more strategic and complex. If its so engaging, why are these games the most multi-boxed / botted? Oh that's right, because it isn't complex or engaging at all. You can download programs that can play EQ, EQ2 and WoW for you, that's how simple the multi-hotbar 30+ skill systems are.

And you can also download a bot for games with action combat.  GW 2 had a HUGE problem with it, and they had to drop the major ban stick on a fairly big amount of their player base.  

Non sibi sed patriae