Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: July Play Rises +105%

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to the latest Raptr "Most Played Games" list for July 2013, Defiance saw one of the most precipitous gains in play time for the month. A great Steam Summer Sale and a price drop for Defiance seem to have led to a huge player increase in July.

Other contenders in the Top 10 include:

• Borderlands 2 – playtime is up 66%

• The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim – playtime rose 40% over June; 99% compared to May

• Terraria – playtime rose 63%

• Killing Floor – playtime increased 347%

• Garry’s Mod – playtime jumped 55% 

Read more on the Raptr site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Sweet, and when all those player burn the content down inside of a month, the game will see a rapid decline like it did after launch.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• Afro-ThunderAfro-Thunder Member UncommonPosts: 86

And I'm sure the Raptr rewards for it had absolutely nothing to do with it?

Riiiight....

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Couple this news with them starting to film the second series of the TV show, the future looks real bright for Defiance. image

/sarcasm

Trion certainly have a great PR team shame that doesn't translate to their lackluster MMO's.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

lol maybe because the game went on sale for 10 dollars?  Keep in mind also, the less sales you have, the easier it is to increase your sales by 100%. 

Oh last month we sold 2 copies?  Well this month we sold FOUR!!!!  100% growth!

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Why does this article even exist?  Why is mmorpg.com referencing raptr?
  • MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

When did Raptr's ratings become useful or indicative of much of anything?

Beuler?

Beuler?

Beuler...?

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Raptr 's number 1 game is whichever one is doing the most ridiculous promotion.

Joined - July 2004

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 628
    Through my existing Trion Worlds account (Rift) I was actually allowed to buy the Standard Edition for only $7.49 (I think collector's was $22.99).
  • bigcrackerbigcracker Member UncommonPosts: 87
    All these games should give steam the biggest handy in history and say thank you for the steam summer sale.
  • Tenaka30Tenaka30 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Originally posted by Myria

When did Raptr's ratings become useful or indicative of much of anything?

Beuler?

Beuler?

Beuler...?

Please explain?  Raptr is used by a certain percentage of gamers that span all areas of interest.  There is no real reason for a specific game or game type's players to congregate within Raptr's membership so it is reasonable to assume, regardless of your own opinion of Raptr, that it *IS* representative of the games played during July.

The only potential issue that might skew the figures is the rewards system that encourages one game over another.  The top two games this month are unaffected by that as Raptr has never run rewards for them.

Originally posted by remyburke

LoL is #1

LoL has never had a Raptr promotion.

I can't see the fascination with LoL myself but it's what all the kids are playing these days.

where is the article about how Rift's downward trend was so severe it single handedly caused Raptr to be down overall.

Down 1% with Rift, up 7% without it.  Surely thats newsworthy too, right?

• rockraprockrap Member UncommonPosts: 8
    my spidey sense predicts 105% fall off in play for August......
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Originally posted by Deleted User

Realy? raptor is ok to site from when xfire aint? This site mmorpg.com can go to hell for all i care. Fuck you is all i can say at this moment.

I will visit my future mmorpg news from other sites.

This is kind of what I was thinking.  I've seen people get bans and warnings for posting XFire numbers on this site.  There's even a sticky thread where any talk of Xfire numbers has to go.  Double standards, maybe?

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• The_GekkoThe_Gekko Member UncommonPosts: 28
    Originally posted by Margulis

lol maybe because the game went on sale for 10 dollars?  Keep in mind also, the less sales you have, the easier it is to increase your sales by 100%. 

Excellent point about the percentage, regardless of if we're talking playtime or sales numbers. Don't give us percentages, give us the actual numbers.

Originally posted by The_Gekko

Excellent point about the percentage, regardless of if we're talking playtime or sales numbers. Don't give us percentages, give us the actual numbers.

Its the 17th most played PC game, right in between  MicroVolts and Maple Story

On Xfire its currently #337 overall.

• BurntvetBurntvet Member RarePosts: 3,465
    Originally posted by bigcracker
    All these games should give steam the biggest handy in history and say thank you for the steam summer sale.

This ^^.

Steam sale (duh).

/endthread

• duggyfr3sh123duggyfr3sh123 Member Posts: 95

http://www.defiancedata.com/page.php?id=12

Raptr Rewards

Posted 2 months ago by Etaew

New rewards have been made available from Raptr and can be activated Wednesday, July 3 2013.

lol.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by The_Gekko

Its the 17th most played PC game, right in between  MicroVolts and Maple Story

On Xfire its currently #337 overall.

Its not really too surprising. Defiance has been 'off the radar' now for quite a long time, so i doubt sales before the steam sale were all that significant, if any, so even selling a few thousand copies would be a huge increase by comparison, now, if we could get hold of the data of how many bought the game during the steam sale, then we'd probably get a fair idea of current player numbers, which im guessing, up to that point, had been pretty low.image

• BraindomeBraindome Member UncommonPosts: 959
    I'm still waiting on this to hit Humble Bundle so I can get four copies for four dollars, that way I can play by myself four times as much.

• Allacore69Allacore69 Member Posts: 839
    This game is not dead. Now if Raptr said anything about EQN or FF14 ARR or some other game, you guy's would not be trolling. Fact is right now in game (on PS3) there is thousands of people online. Me included. Hell, I bet none of you even played the game. Or watched the show. Give it a try. Don't worry, I was hesitant too at first hearing the game is dead and nobody is playing. But, the fact is the game is not dead and still has thousands of players online daily on each platform. The Clan i'm in has at least 60 to 70 people online everyday. We have 108 members btw. I am happy with the game and think Trion is doing great. Hell, it's better than that dreadful Firefall. UUgghh.... Firefall.
  • MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by remyburke

^

Sadly this.

• eyeqdkeyeqdk Member UncommonPosts: 37

If Raptr made some promo in EQ1... then i bet EQ1 will be the next month "most played game" 

Login in, in game.. and let it run in background.. does not mean ppl are playing it. 

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

There isn't much point in putting more than 100-200 hours into this game.

That''s why BL2 experience is a lot better.

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926

what the hell is Raptor or XFire anyway and for what purpose would I need that?

to make other people know what game I play? what for?

• orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

i one who invested many hours into this game  thought it was a pretty good concept- the games story with nim was pretty cool....

hate to say it unfortunately all the shifts and back end mishaps with the company trion did carry over into the game and showed a reflection on the status of the game at the present time.

really liked the game - but their moment has passed.

the game is  a ' challenge hour' as theyve put it- with nothing new  brough tto the game.