Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: An EQ Noob’s Reaction to EverQuest Next

Comments

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Riposte.This
    This game has no soul

There is absolutely no evidence to support this one way or the other.

You may be right, but with the amount they have focused on the lore as one positive indicator I would bet you are wrong.  But Im speculating just as much as you are.

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Really MMORPG.com, do you look at actual pictures when you state obviously wrong things like WoW looks better than EQ2 ???

What is your jdugement based on?

Modelling, Texturing, Colouring is not involved i guess.

What is wrong about the femal mage?

It does not look like a mage - ist a female Ship Boy out of "Treasure Isle" or "Peter Pan".

I have also no clue what is wrong about the Eyesight of the Designer using this Colours they do - where is the fidelity?

EQ:N is EQ:N when they successfully transport the Lore of EQ into the Gameplay in a meaningfull way while avoiding to be mistaken for Disneyworld.

What they want to do with the world is impressive - now its about how they do it.

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• ninjagrannyninjagranny Member Posts: 25

Yes the graphics in eqn do look naff and comic like BUT thats what people want nowadays - people dont want great scenery or realistic vistas they want the soft edged comic strip things - Will it detract from the game - yes but lets be honest eq graphics weren't all that good :) but we loved it for the game play -

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Thorqemada

Really MMORPG.com, do you look at actual picutres when you state obviously wrong things like WoW Looks better than EQ2 ???

What is you jdugement based on?

Modelling, Texturing, Colouring is not involved i guess.

What is wrong about the femal mage?

It does not look like a mage - ist a female Ship Boy out of "Treasure Isle" or "Peter Pan".

I have also no clue what is wrong about the Eyesight of the Designer using this Colours they do - where is the fidelity?

EQ:N is EQ:N when they successfully transport the Lore of EQ into the Gameplay in a meaningfull way while avoiding to be mistaken for Disneyworld.

What they want to do with the world is impressive - now its about how they do it.

it's based on the fact that WoW, hate it or love it, has a confident and cohesive art direction. EQ2 decided they would rather have the best technical effects over good art direction, and now it suffers from some of the worst uncanny valley ever seen in a game 

• gavvinggavving Member Posts: 51

SOE is kinda hosed.  They use the Everquest name and release a new MMO under it to get lots of press and old Everquest players to give it a try.  Then those Everquest players will complain that it's not really Everquest and that it's something completely different.  If SOE releases a new MMO without calling it Everquest then everyone complains that they're not working on a re-do of EQ1 or 2.   

Someone mentioned the old class system in EQ and how it effected the entire game - and that's deeply true.  The new game systems to be floating towards a Rift/GW2 style of class/skills, and I just don't think that builds the same kind of character identification that you got in the old EQ days where a Cleric was a Cleric and a Monk was a Monk.  (oh and they better have Monks)  Being able to completely switch roles at the touch of a button cheapens, and complicates the investment in the character creation process.  I'd rather have a system which allows for moderate flexability within a class system, but doesn't allow a complete role shift at the press of a button. (in or out of combat) 

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    Im in the same category as Micheal Bitton, I tried to play eq when it first came out my pc was not good enough. I tried EQ2 once I got bored of WoW. It would be great if it was more responsive, but the lack thereof kills it for me especially compared to WoW. Now here come Eqnext and it looks like responsiveness is not going to be a problem and neither is wow clone, nor gw2 clone speaking of clones. The eq franchise has a nice core group for backing, but I am glad they arent calling the shots because I like what I have seen already and from the sounds of it, the core veteran group would have made a completely different game, one thats much like the old ones.
  • LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    How can you say it has no soul- they didn't cover the depth of the game. They only presented a tiny molecular bit of the game. This is based on assumptions. Good journalism, realistic journalism is based on facts.  
  • AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    Im in the same category as Micheal Bitton, I tried to play eq when it first came out my pc was not good enough. I tried EQ2 once I got bored of WoW. It would be great if it was more responsive, but the lack thereof kills it for me especially compared to WoW. Now here come Eqnext and it looks like responsiveness is not going to be a problem and neither is wow clone, nor gw2 clone speaking of clones. The eq franchise has a nice core group for backing, but I am glad they arent calling the shots because I like what I have seen already and from the sounds of it, the core veteran group would have made a completely different game, one thats much like the old ones.

It's most certainly a GW2 + Minecraft clone. Did you watch them talk about the game during the debut????

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by MondoA2J

I really really hope they deliver on this new AI for monsters. Really tired of static monsters who do the exact same shyt over and over.

Really you obviously haven't played Ryzom.

• LugorsLugors Member UncommonPosts: 184

People have a hard time separating art design from graphics.  And further, graphics from an optimized engine.  EQ2 had poor art design, poor optimization, but a high polygon count (graphics).  SWTOR had really poor art design, horrible optimization, and sweet graphics.  WoW stuck with a consistent art design (love it or hate it), a game engine that runs on the average toaster oven.  

So will EQN try to impress with technical chops, ie high polygon count, but fail in the art design and optimization department as so many games have done lately?  A sweet looking screen shot is far different than running a game on "your" computer and trying to not have it become a frustrating slideshow. 

• BcudaBcuda Member UncommonPosts: 164
    I wasn't thrilled with the character mold. Looks like wow. But I wanted to point out something that the round table was talking about . Armor worn by the character should be up to the maker...Not the person doning the Armor... Let the Crafter do it all. Let the resposibility of pleasing the buyer of the crafted goods be on the crafter... Let the Best crafters in the realm compete to build the best design for the armor. If they screw it up so be it... And the best will rise to the top. Armor dye should be very important and practice makes perfect..........
  • Monamia222Monamia222 Member Posts: 53
    Originally posted by Asamof
    Originally posted by Rockniss

It's most certainly a GW2 + Minecraft clone. Did you watch them talk about the game during the debut????

I watched it and got a totally different feeling than you did.  I like it and I played eq for 8 years before it morphed into something that was no longer everquest at heart.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362

EQN might not be for everyone, but I'm excited to try it out.

I loved EQ1 ... it will always be special. But time are changing, and I'm more than ready to try out this new EQN. Bring it on!

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    Never played EQ1 or EQ2 because primarily I hated the rigid class design and the inability to do anything without having 700 of your closest friends to tag along.  I also didn't play them because I was too busy being engrossed in the best MMO of all time that allowed me to be what I wanted and do what I want, with friends or without.  That game was Asheron's Call.  IMO EQN is more reminiscent of AC then EQ and that is a good thing for me.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    You really are an EQ noob. A series with more realistic aesthetic? No. The original was stylised, its not even up for contention. Rosie was the Art Director for EQ1 and has publicly stated the art direction was stylised.
  • ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    Sorry but EQ2 graphics look worse than wow. And from the amount of computing resource it takes to run on max without getting low framerate you get a poor return.
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by Riposte.This
    This game has no soul, it should just be a pvp oriented game.

I'll take it gladly!

Don't kniw I love the artstyle and usually I hate cartoony games, WoW, SWTOR, Wildstar and the other stylized games don't hold a candle to EQN.

I want it just the way it is.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

SOE has way too much attention to be successfull.  Gameplay is what make and crush a game...and to have an interesting gameplay you had to go with a logic completely, not make a bazillions compromises.

Simple is good.  Challenging is good.  Rewarding is good.  Peoples quit EQ when they stop receiving proper "rewards"...and any other game.

Nobody is going to sit idle, no matter if it is free of $20 per month.  Anytime you let a little group pull the game their way, you lose many times that amount of players.  You have to pick a gameplay and stay true to it and not listen to a few elitists, no matter if they belong or not to the "gameplay vision".

SOE has a LOT of budget and money, and attention...it is torned in soooo many directions it cannot even encompass a vision anymore, no matter if I agree with it or not.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• ArChWindArChWind Member UncommonPosts: 1,340
    A little of everything and not enough of one good thing can lead to disaster.
    ArChWind — MMORPG.com Forums

If you are interested in making a MMO maybe visit my page to get a free open source engine.
  • RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389

I played EQ long enough to create a toon, get out of the starting area, fall in a pool of water, not figure out how to swim and die... then I deleted the game.

EQ2 I played for a few years and had player housing, loved the crafting, loved the diversity of all the races and classes.  My kerran assassin and ratonga mage were my favorite toons.  I stopped playing EQ2 only because there were so many options out there that seemed to be more fun with less investment (life responsibilities ate away at my gaming time).  

EQN looks fun and I'm sure I'll give it a try.  I love the art.  It looks incredibly similar to Wildstar in my opinion.  I can only imagine the hardcore EQ franchise fans hating the cartoony since they always complained about that aspect of WoW.  I am looking forward to Qeynos and Freeport and all the variety of races and classes.  I'm looking forward to a rich housing and crafting system.  I'm looking forward to the sandbox aspects of the game a lot.

I'm not looking forward to SOE being involved in a game I play again.  I wish I trusted them to make better decisions regarding the game.  Their F2P models from Free Realms to PS2 make me constantly feel like I have a beggar with his hand out following me around.  I know they love F2P and I know they've talked about PvP open world in EQN.  I can only imagine what kind of a community, F2P + open world PvP + everything in Norrath being destructible, this game is going to birth into the world.  I wonder how many true EQ players are going to enjoy the Landmark portion of EQN more than the actual game.  The entire gaming community in general has changed since the last time we took a first step into Norrath and not necessarily for the better.

I don't know... usually sequels suck whether it's a movie or a game.

What I personally would like to see: 

I wish they would separate PvP from PvE servers, completely.  I hope they do some research and come up with a good hybrid version of F2P that allows me to pay a sub and not feel badgered for money all the time.  (Check out RIFT).  I hope they don't skimp on story, lore, housing, crafting, vastness of the world, creativity in quests, design and variety of classes, armor, weapon design, items, collections in order to make toons float and fly and fart in a way that appeals to the dumbest, most 'entitled' gamer playing.  Make rewards something to work for, not to be bought.  Make the best items in the game craftable or raidable, not buyable.  

If you're going to have open world PvP, for the love of Iskar, make the penalties for griefing other players palpitable and severe.  You know... severe... like dying over and over in the sewers in EQ2 and losing an entire LEVEL of experience because you can't get past the baddies and out?  Don't punish the player getting griefed with huge repair bills, punish the griefers who are ruining the gaming experience for others.

No bitchers.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by skeaser
    I disagree on your EQ2 vs WoW graphics comment. I personally think that EQ2 looks much better than WoW. Mostly because we're just now reaching a point where computers can handle EQ2...

And theres the problem. The game should look like Black Desert if you need PCs from 2010+ to play it on high to max graphics.  Do you see the problem? For a game with such a high polygon count it looks really bland and just bad by todays standards but you still need a PC with the power of todays standards.

• TraugarTraugar Member UncommonPosts: 183
    LOL.  The guy that gave SWTOR rave reviews writes an article calling another game soulless.  Irony. 
  • soulragesoulrage Member Posts: 23
    I thought the mage kinda looks like Elizabeth out of Bioshock Infinite
  • OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894

It's painfully obvious that SOE has problems with nepotism where JR. gets the job! or gets a government tax break for hiring the blind to do their MMO artwork. Yes, SOE characters are ugly and more often than not the animations look fucking awful. Surprise!

What was most surprising about EQN was that the characters looked like they belonged in Wildstar... I mean... how? The animations were good, the art was good (aside from Tony the Tiger .. LOL.. dude, WHY THE LONG FACE!?) ... but the art direction for this game is more reminiscent of Free Realms than Everquest... and so is the game-play.

I think EQN will do well, but I have to wonder how much longer these guys will have their jobs.

• ArconaArcona Member UncommonPosts: 1,182

Everquest 2 graphics is very cartoony too

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBBXXnPxxFA