Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll] - Seeing pants on the Mage character is a deal breaker...

kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229

I don't know where to begin.  I just re-watched the reveal video and I saw it.  I don't know how I missed the first time through.  But right there in the beginning reveal the Mage caster chick is CLEARLY WEARING PANTS!  How can anyone take this game serious if they continue to allow this in the game?  How many games in the past have failed because of this type of decision.

Casters should always wear a robe... pants! un-freaking-believable!  Please tell me they are not going to allow casters to wear pants!!! This is a pet peeve of mine, and I think it breaks lore and roleplay mechanics.  I don't care to have my caster type classes wearing pants.  Casters should be in robes only.  Male or female.  Robes with hoods are ok, up or down.  (prefer up).

In every old school game I played in the past since rolling dice, casters always wore robes.  Never pants.  The bard, maybe pants - but if you were a Wizard, Magician, Sorcerer, Summoner, Necromancer or any class that toted a book.. you wore robes!.  I don't see how SOE intends for anyone to take this game seriously if the casters can wear pants.  It is insane for me to play a game where the casters don't have a robe on.  I am sorry, but this is how I see it.

This image shows the female mage character clearly in pants.  This is a automatic fail for EQN if they allow casters to wear pants!!!

I'll use the caster classes in SWTOR as an example.  The Consular or the Sorcerer - the Star Wars version of a "caster" were originally only allow to equip robes.  That is correct lore.  Sometime after the launch EA or the devs caved in and allowed these casters to start wearing pants.  This, in my opinion is where SWTOR started to fail.  If EQN allows this type of lunacy into the game, there is no way a real gamer could play it.  I'm serious. In fact, every game I've ever played that allow caster types, mages in particular, to wear pants have failed or are not worth playing ex, W0W. (I enjoyed wow, but I hated that there were mage pants in the game.  How fail can you get?)

This game is turning out to be SWTOR clone.  That game failed because of caster pants... EQN is certainly going to fail also.  Pants!  Can you believe it?  If EQN turns out to have casters running around everywhere with pants on then I think I will just skip it all together, and go play Black Desert.  Surely it won't have casters in freakin pants.

The image below shows a properly robed Consular.  This is acceptable.

The image below show a Consular in pants.  I nearly quit playing SWTOR of this issue alone.  This is not acceptable people!

Comments

• SephirosoSephiroso Member RarePosts: 2,020
    Is this OP serious?

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536
    You're right, she would have been way hotter without pants.

• kruluxkrulux Member Posts: 229
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Is this OP serious?

Of course I'm serious.  I. Can. Not. Stand. Pants. On. A. Caster!!!

• mooseherdersmooseherders Member Posts: 7
    i too cannot tell if he is serious...
  • Agnostic42Agnostic42 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    Everyone should be forced to wear BLUE speedo's with Firiona Vie on the front. EVERYONE! Get to it!
  • AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521

Pants?

Yes

With heroic movement things will get way too breezy.

• ElirionLothElirionLoth Member UncommonPosts: 308
    Originally posted by Sephiroso
    Is this OP serious?

The fact that we are not really sure if the OP is joking is a sad commentary on the debates that occur on this site.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Whoa, if this is serious this is like the OCD of immersion breakers. 
    Originally posted by mooseherders

I am serious. 

I can take Lion King graphics.

I can deal with no Trinity.

I can deal with an 8 button GUI.

I can take this is not Everquest 3.

I can handle all sorts of trival crap.  I can't take pants on a caster.  NO WAY!  This type of lore mishap is a deal breaker for me.

No amount of Emergent AI can make up for pants on a caster!

No destructible world will erase casters wearing pants.  PANTS!   (>.<)

I don't even think I can play this being free-2-play.  This is insane.  I don't see how anyone else has not caught this glaring fallacy in design. 

• TorcipTorcip Member UncommonPosts: 669
    You put a lot of effort into this, you must be really bored.  7/10
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    Originally posted by krulux

I am serious. 

I can handle all sorts of trival crap.  I can't take pants on a caster.  NO WAY!  This type of lore mishap is a deal breaker for me.

I don't even think I can play this being free-2-play.  This is insane.  I don't see how anyone else has not caught this glaring fallacy in design. 

I'm suprised that you are this good at being serious. At some point I would have broken down and told the truth by now, I mean color coding bigger issues, then saying you are okay with all of them but down to pants being the deal breaker? Cmon man, just stop pressuring people.

• RasiemRasiem Member UncommonPosts: 318
    These are the kinds of stupid opinions we have on this website WTF happened. 
    Originally posted by Panther2103

I am serious. 

I'm suprised that you are this good at being serious. At some point I would have broken down and told the truth by now, I mean color coding bigger issues, then saying you are okay with all of them but down to pants being the deal breaker? Cmon man, just stop pressuring people.

To some this may be satire at its finest.  But I'm not kidding.  I can't stand it.  If you look on the old SWTOR website for my name in posts you will see how serious I am.  There was a huge debate on pants on Consulars.  I was not the only one.  Its the little things that get to me.  I can take the big stuff, the little things drive me crazy!

I really, really wanted EQN to be my next MMO home, and I've been typing out some candy coated masterpieces trying to get people to the good that could be EQN.  But I have to say, at this point. I just don't care.  I may need to go in my Honey Badger mode. 

• MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

I am serious. 

This whole thread is awesome. 9.5/10 from me sir. Kudos on the effort.

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,801

So don't wear pants.

Sometimes, the obvious escapes us.

Once upon a time....

• besserpunkbesserpunk Member UncommonPosts: 9

This is a pet peeve of mine, and I think it breaks lore and roleplay mechanics

This is an outrage! I demand that you point me to the pants in question immediately so that I can go and burn them.

Additionally I am beginning to suspect that there is a conspiracy of pants-loving heretics afoot that goes so far as conspirators wearing pants under their robes so you can't even see them!

This is unacceptable. That's the last straw. I quit!

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011

Always thought robes were stupid, even in D&D.

In any case the devs have already said that players can look how they want and I applaud this.

Have you ever worn a robe? A full one such as those depicted in some of the art work that is made for fantasy covers, etc. I had to for a haunted house I worked in and it was a pain in the ass.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953
    LOL. "Correct Lore" is actually casters wear cloth (which is where the term "Clothies" comes from) it doesn't necessarily have to be a robe, intact battle mages generally don't wear robes traditionally.
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

So don't wear pants.

Dude, I'm an old Asheron's Call vet.  That alone should lend my words heavy weights of wisdom.  When I post something I expected to be taken seriously.  Please!

Casters in AC did not wear pants!  There was the an issue for a month not long after launch where the Mattie Hide jacket required us caster to wear pants till the Mattie Hide robe was added in a patch.  I refused.

In protest I did not log into AC for 5 weeks.  No way in HELL was I gonna be a party to that kind of reckless development.

• DemalisDemalis Member Posts: 134
    What your missing here is emergent AI, and voxel created world. All I can say is a caster wearing pants is old, like the holy trinity, you have to stop living in the past. And besides with all the action combat this game is going to have we need pants to cover up certain areas...
  • TicklepinkTicklepink Member UncommonPosts: 123

Fixed that for you..It's our Holy Trinity..Tank, Healer and Mage..I know, I know..our tank has a gun but hey..SOE is "innovative"

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267

I am serious. 

Bye?  I'd ask for your stuff but....there is none :(

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• evilizedevilized Member UncommonPosts: 576
    hey OP, cheer up. i'm not wearing any pants right now.
    Originally posted by Demalis
    What your missing here is emergent AI, and voxel created world. All I can say is a caster wearing pants is old, like the holy trinity, you have to stop living in the past. And besides with all the action combat this game is going to have we need pants to cover up certain areas...

Unless those Voxels can fly up from the ground and turn a pair of pants into a robe this game will Fail.  Look at how SWTOR ended up.  It was not because it was a single player MMO.  It was because of  PANTS ON A CONSULAR  Fail.

We have to get this issue on the Round Table right now.  SOE needs to hear about my concerns in this matter.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by Amaranthar

So don't wear pants.

Dude, I'm an old Asheron's Call vet.  That alone should lend my words heavy weights of wisdom.  When I post something I expected to be taken seriously.  Please!

Casters in AC did not wear pants!  There was the an issue for a month not long after launch where the Mattie Hide jacket required us caster to wear pants till the Mattie Hide robe was added in a patch.  I refused.

In protest I did not log into AC for 5 weeks.  No way in HELL was I gonna be a party to that kind of reckless development.

So you played AC...like most of us?  Cool.

I'm sure you were missed by Turbine during your absence....oh wait you just didn't login and you just paid for no reason at all.  Seems like the obvious does escape you, your message not only wasn't felt but you actually rewarded them during that time.

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.