Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is EQNext the first true GW2 clone?

elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335

Seems that way to me.  8 skills, 4 of them based on your weapon of choice.  Action Combat and dodging.  Dynamic content.  No real progression other than unlocking skills.  No sub fee.  Sure, it's taking the living world to the next step, with destructible terrain which can be good or bad. 

After reading some intriguing responses, I've noticed that EQNext is very similar to TSW as well, perhaps more so than GW2.  Either way, it seems to be a "new" subsect of the MMO genre, moving away from "traditional" gameplay.  Which is fine, as it appears there are tons of gamers who fit into that niche just fine.  Just don't discount us "traditional" MMO gamers as not having opinions that count, as I think we do. 

Comments

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by elocke

Seems that way to me.  8 skills, 4 of them based on your weapon of choice.  Action Combat and dodging.  Dynamic content.  No real progression other than unlocking skills.  No sub fee.  Sure, it's taking the living world to the next step, with destructible terrain which can be good or bad. 

A response is being prepared to address this.

From Dave Georgeson's Twitter

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

I don't think so.

Firstly, there are numerous games with action combat, dodging and dynamic content.  

Secondly, there are lots of unique and innovative features to EQN.  

I think the main reason you see GW2 mentioned (and similarity criticized) is that GW2's big thing was to get rid of the trinity, which EQN is also doing.   Many people - myself included - don't think that it worked very well or made for very challenging PvE encounters, so we do not like this.  However, I wouldn't consider it a GW2 clone by any means just because of this.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

To me, that system seems closer to The Secret World.

• GiddianGiddian Member UncommonPosts: 418

First off, all MMO's seem to bee a clone of one thing or another.

If it is a Clone of GW2, lets hope they improve on it.

• Rommie10-284Rommie10-284 Member UncommonPosts: 265

I *really* hope not.  If going the GW2 path was the reason they dumped the prior versions of Next, they've made a AWFUL decision.

Take some of the good features of GW2 and add them to their game?  Great!  Use it as a blueprint and just add some features (balsa wood terrain, hidden areas, etc.)?  Foolish.  If that's what SOE has done, they learned zero, zip, nothing from The Old Republic crash.  And I can't believe they would ignore how much of a $$$ disaster that turned out to be by slapping the WoW blueprint into their game.

So I think Next will have elements of GW2, but a clone?  They can't be that dumb.  There's not enough popcorn in the world to eat if they are!

• RagnorMalakRagnorMalak Member UncommonPosts: 115
    I don't see it as a clone, but rather as an MMO that builds on top of and expands the foundations of Guild Wars 2.

• ManakarManakar Member UncommonPosts: 110

GW2 has 10 skill slots plus quick switching on weapon (between 2 weapon sets) skills giving you 5 move skills on the fly..  

15 skills > 8 skills

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276

GW2 has levels...EQN is a much closer copy to The Secret World.  TSW has no levels, was the first game to have the telegraphing of mob special attacks via red circles/rectangles on the ground.  It has horizontal progression via the skill wheel where you can max out one "class" easily then you progress horizontally by acquiring and maxing out other "classes".  In TSW the "classes" are determined by which weapon set you are using...such as Hammer, assault rifle, fist..etc each has their own abilities and you can spend points in any to "tier" them up...and just like EQN you can earn those points while playing any class and spend them in other classes if you want.  TSW also limits you to 8 or 9 abilities at one time on your hotbar...

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by RagnorMalak
    I don't see it as a clone, but rather as an MMO that builds on top of and expands the foundations of Guild Wars 2.

And how many times were games given this type of response when called WoW clones?

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I don't think this game has enough in common with GW2 to call it a GW2 clone.

I see the obvious influence of course.  I also see obvious influence from Secret World, Minecraft, and FFXIV.

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by arieste

I don't think so.

Firstly, there are numerous games with action combat, dodging and dynamic content.  

Secondly, there are lots of unique and innovative features to EQN.  

I think the main reason you see GW2 mentioned (and similarity criticized) is that GW2's big thing was to get rid of the trinity, which EQN is also doing.   Many people - myself included - don't think that it worked very well or made for very challenging PvE encounters, so we do not like this.  However, I wouldn't consider it a GW2 clone by any means just because of this.

Where are these links with numbers of the many people in the world that didnt think...oh you mean all these vocal people on the internet, almost got me for a sec I thought he was talking as if he knew it was the majority, cause even I can admit I have no clue if its many or not who love the trinity but can state that if something isnt my style that I wont go stating many others dont like what I dont like. 

Any way there are a lot of similarities, even the telegraphs look the same but it might have some more unique things than they showed some of which is already huge. Least I can play this alongside gw2 for certain reasons that gw2 doesnt seem to provide. Tablet is a wee bit difficult to type on.

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Rusque

Originally posted by RagnorMalak I don't see it as a clone, but rather as an MMO that builds on top of and expands the foundations of Guild Wars 2.
    And how many times were games given this type of response when called WoW clones?

Which was an over used canned response "dismissal" that was applied to end discussions that people didn't want to deal with. All those "WoW Clones" that failed JUST because they were "WoW Clones" As if they were perfectly developed to begin with and didn't otherwise have issues that contributed to their lack of success.

GW2 clone? Probably not. Even if it is, The game should still be judged by it's own merits. It could very well take what ANET started and build on it and take it to the next level. Then so what? If it's a great game, let the game speak for itself. And if it flops, it won't be because it was a "GW2 clone". It will be because of bad development.

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

Originally posted by Rusque

Originally posted by RagnorMalak I don't see it as a clone, but rather as an MMO that builds on top of and expands the foundations of Guild Wars 2.

Which was an over used canned response "dismissal" that was applied to end discussions that people didn't want to deal with. All those "WoW Clones" that failed JUST because they were "WoW Clones" As if they were perfectly developed to begin with and didn't otherwise have issues that contributed to their lack of success.

GW2 clone? Probably not. Even if it is, The game should still be judged by it's own merits. It could very well take what ANET started and build on it and take it to the next level. Then so what? If it's a great game, let the game speak for itself. And if it flops, it won't be because it was a "GW2 clone". It will be because of bad development.

Amen.

• ego13ego13 Member Posts: 267

Is a Ferrari a clone of a Model T?  Are you a clone of me? (You wish) Is GW2 a clone of Invictus?  Is Checkers a clone of Chess?

Who cares?  There will never be something that is 100% original anymore, it's all been done or thought of before.  Does this mean they can't use some of the mechanics and make a better game?  YES! 

If you're searching for something that's different just for the sake of being different I'm sure you can jump on Steam Greenlight or Kickstarter and find it in a heartbeat, but since you're here at MMORPG.com it seems you want to find an MMORPG, I know this is going to completely blow your mind but get this; EVERY MMORPG shares similar elements!  I know...I know....in fact it's so huge you should go read that last sentence again.

Ok now that you've had time to reassemble your mind, point is that you're following a specific type of game.  The genre is changing and adapting more towards an action style.  This has been very evident over the past couple years. 

I knew already that EQN would be action based, not only because it was obviously going to be released on PS4 also but because that's the way the genre is heading.  The majority of my peers (gamers in their mid to late 30s) fear and hate this change because they want to go back to their youth, they want those first days of discovery that can't be regained.  Personally, I can't wait!  Give me ingenuity, give me change, and most of all give me progress!  Yes, it might be similar but hopefully it's about as similar as Chess is to Checkers.  Those of you that enjoy Checkers(EQ1) can have it, it's still there, personally I enjoy Chess!

Just because every car has similar features doesn't mean that Ferraris are copies of Model Ts. Progress requires failure and refining.

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Well, no big surprise here... Dave basicly started the Debut with

'so we gathered all the good stuff from other games'. :o

Of course this 'good stuff' is highly relative..

• MagnetiaMagnetia Member UncommonPosts: 1,015

Inspired maybe but no clone I don't think. Like a few have said before it's building on ideas and using new technology to achieve those goals. While GW2 boasted many features they didn't deliver on some of the key emotions that we wanted because of the scale of the work. 

Now that developers have had a chance to play GW2 they will learn from Anets weak points and improve upon them. 

Play for fun. Play to win. Play for perfection. Play with friends. Play in another world. Why do you play?

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    They also tied skills to weapons and you can expect some sort of "Dynamic Event" system. I also have a feeling pvp will be eerily similar. Yet, I wouldn't consider it a clone it has things that make it stand out on it's own. With that said it's easy to see the influence of GW2, it's not only with this game but almost all new mmos are using many of GW2's ways.

• SephastusSephastus Member UncommonPosts: 455

Does GW2 have any of the following:

Fully Destroyable envioroment?

No Levels?

Unlockable Classes through quests that each have skills attached to them?

3 dimentional layered gameworld generated on the fly (ability to break the floor and drop into a randomly generated dungeon, which can be nested)

Randomly generated quests with no quest markers or help screen... just NPC chat.

Constantly evolving world based on player Action (s) or inaction.

Real world player/guild housing.

If the only thing that you can think of that looks SIMILAR to GW2 is weapon swapping, then you are trying way too hard to make these completely different games, similar. Many action games before GW2 had "red circle" dodging mechanics as well, does that make GW2 a close of those games? Other games had active dodging, like Tera, does that make GW2 a Tera clone?

Some people are trying really hard to make these 2 really dis-similar games match, when obviously they are exaggeratedly different.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Giffen

GW2 has levels...EQN is a much closer copy to The Secret World.  TSW has no levels, was the first game to have the telegraphing of mob special attacks via red circles/rectangles on the ground.  It has horizontal progression via the skill wheel where you can max out one "class" easily then you progress horizontally by acquiring and maxing out other "classes".  In TSW the "classes" are determined by which weapon set you are using...such as Hammer, assault rifle, fist..etc each has their own abilities and you can spend points in any to "tier" them up...and just like EQN you can earn those points while playing any class and spend them in other classes if you want.  TSW also limits you to 8 or 9 abilities at one time on your hotbar...

No Giffen - TSW can be considered levels too. Anything where you are adding skills is a level.

As for as mobs with attacks - Rift, GW2, GW1, heck many games had those shows also. It is not specific to TSW.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Originally posted by Sephastus Does GW2 have any of the following:   Fully Destroyable envioroment?   No Levels?   Unlockable Classes through quests that each have skills attached to them?   3 dimentional layered gameworld generated on the fly (ability to break the floor and drop into a randomly generated dungeon, which can be nested)   Randomly generated quests with no quest markers or help screen... just NPC chat.   Constantly evolving world based on player Action (s) or inaction.   Real world player/guild housing.   If the only thing that you can think of that looks SIMILAR to GW2 is weapon swapping, then you are trying way too hard to make these completely different games, similar. Many action games before GW2 had "red circle" dodging mechanics as well, does that make GW2 a close of those games? Other games had active dodging, like Tera, does that make GW2 a Tera clone?   Some people are trying really hard to make these 2 really dis-similar games match, when obviously they are exaggeratedly different.
    A "hand picked" list of features the do not exist in GW2 does nothing to address the similarities and doesn't do a thing for the argument against being a clone.
  • KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Originally posted by Sephastus

Does GW2 have any of the following:

Fully Destroyable envioroment?

No Levels?

Unlockable Classes through quests that each have skills attached to them?

3 dimentional layered gameworld generated on the fly (ability to break the floor and drop into a randomly generated dungeon, which can be nested)

Randomly generated quests with no quest markers or help screen... just NPC chat.

Constantly evolving world based on player Action (s) or inaction.

Real world player/guild housing.

If the only thing that you can think of that looks SIMILAR to GW2 is weapon swapping, then you are trying way too hard to make these completely different games, similar. Many action games before GW2 had "red circle" dodging mechanics as well, does that make GW2 a close of those games? Other games had active dodging, like Tera, does that make GW2 a Tera clone?

Some people are trying really hard to make these 2 really dis-similar games match, when obviously they are exaggeratedly different.

hehehe I love it when people start to add PR bullet points to their list of "new" features.

Constantly evolving world based on player actions??? cmon, can't get more PR bs than that. Probably every mmo out there has that in their list of "features". Doesn't really mean anything when it comes down to it.

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    While I am impressed with the graphics and the world building, I am very disappointed with my understanding of the skill system. I was hoping they were going the route of Ultima Online with skill training and development. It is still a bit early to jump to conclusions, but much more often than not, when something looks bad, it turns out to be bad in the mmorpg world. Even if it is pre beta, I've learned my lesson from many long past and failed games.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    They seem to share a lot of design goals as a result of identifying and trying to solve the same problems with the traditional MMO design. The solutions they come up with are quite different though, in many cases where Arenanet eventually didn't dare to really break with some traditions, SOE actually does. 
  • MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Arkain

To me, that system seems closer to The Secret World.

Yeah that was my thinking too. Lots of skills but the art is in matching and synergising skills with your own skills and other characters skills. 

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by RizelStar
     I have no clue if its many or not who love the trinity 

Well, all you need to do is talk with people and listen to their opinions and you'll know.  It's not that hard.   

Also, i never quoted any numbers or used the word "majority".   

Although - if you were to compile all the concerns that people have about EQN - i would guess that "Disney Graphics" and "GW2 / Trinity-less combat" would be the top two concerns.

For example, here is a fairly well-phrased poll of 140 totally random MMORPG members:   http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/5885463#5885463        Almost 70% would prefer to have defined roles.  Is that "many"?  Well, it's more than not.   

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO