Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Free to play + Fully destructible everything = ...

2»

Comments

• joe2721joe2721 Member UncommonPosts: 171
    Originally posted by Javrio
    They've told that "the enviroment was going to be harder to destroy than we saw on the demo's video and will regenerate itself". Do you really think that destroying the same bridge everytime it's funny? xD 

It would appeal to a certain type of player yes.

I would image the one that used to  run into blackborrow in eq1 just to cause massive trains would  spend much of there time in  eqn finding ways to destroy.

• fyerwallfyerwall Member UncommonPosts: 3,240
    Originally posted by mos0811
    Originally posted by jayheld90
    Originally posted by General-Zod
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Originally posted by grifj

I believe I heard that other players can't tear down player made structures. 

That would be great news for those of us who want to build. Do you have a source for that?

This is not correct...

I think its "Players will be able to tear down everything but key buildings (Starting City ect...) however NPCs will be able to destruct even the starting locations (Giant Golems, Dragons ect...)

This was in PC Gamer

WRONG! players cant even COME on your claim, unless you let them, let alone destroy it. i watched the people at soe live that are MAKING the game, say it themselves.

I've watched the same videos and came away with a different take.  For instance in the Q&A panel Georgeson says something like "with full destructibility in the game how can you not think about that in terms of PvP".  I have not heard anything definitive that states that player made structures will be safe.  From players there may be more limits to what can be destroyed, but when it comes to the NPCs they are making every building a target; both player made and dev made.

Dave also stated that player structures could not be touched unless permission was given by the owner. He also said they will lock certain areas (cites, landmarks, etc) to prevent them from being destroyed by players. 

The point is the potential is there for the entire world to be destructible, but they will only allow it within certain reasonable constraints. 

There are 3 types of people in the world.
    1.) Those who make things happen
    2.) Those who watch things happen
    3.) And those who wonder "What the %#*& just happened?!"

• BlakkrskyrrBlakkrskyrr Member Posts: 230

With everything being destructible... does anyone else foresee every single troll in the world running by to destroy your home? Tearing down every bridge, collapsing every cave entrance and generally ruining the gameplay experience for as many people as they can? Kiting giants and dragons all the way to the main cities in order to destroy as much of that as they can?

I think the beginning months of the game are going to be very trying for those who like to build and want to carve out a portion of the world for themselves.

i heard something in the panels about that for one, in EQN you don't just walk up to a plot of land and claim it as you would in Landmark, but that you either receive a predetermined plot or have received the ability to claim a plot (not specified, just that you can't just walk up and claim it.  also no specification on instanced housing or not).  Secondly, in Landmark and in EQN you will have a plethora of permission options on whether or not you want to allow others to interact with your buildings, and "interact" encompasses any kind of interaction of the senses: "touching" the building or materials, "seeing" them, and so forth.  can't really smell or hear them, but yeah.  so you will not need to worry about it.

Also, a question in the cursenetwork video for the Q&A part 2 (I use curse bc that's what I watched it on and didn't want to confuse others if watched on other channels), someone asked what would happen when players have taken up such a huge landmass with their buildings and how will the orcs or other npc races (are orcs playable?  I hope so bc I loved playing orc in skyrim) react?  Will they just flee back to wherever they came from, or will they amass an army and try to destroy the encroaching population?  The development team did not put the breaks down and say we won't encroach on the land and that we won't be able to build up to that extent.  They didn't say we could either.  So at this point in time, we really have no idea how this will work.  If it were open world building and such, that would be awesome but would require a ton of data.  So at this point, I don't think you have much to worry about because there isn't enough information on how housing will work in the first place.  So...yeah.  

• mos0811mos0811 Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by fyerwall
    Originally posted by mos0811
    Originally posted by jayheld90

That would be great news for those of us who want to build. Do you have a source for that?

This is not correct...

I think its "Players will be able to tear down everything but key buildings (Starting City ect...) however NPCs will be able to destruct even the starting locations (Giant Golems, Dragons ect...)

This was in PC Gamer

WRONG! players cant even COME on your claim, unless you let them, let alone destroy it. i watched the people at soe live that are MAKING the game, say it themselves.

I've watched the same videos and came away with a different take.  For instance in the Q&A panel Georgeson says something like "with full destructibility in the game how can you not think about that in terms of PvP".  I have not heard anything definitive that states that player made structures will be safe.  From players there may be more limits to what can be destroyed, but when it comes to the NPCs they are making every building a target; both player made and dev made.

Dave also stated that player structures could not be touched unless permission was given by the owner. He also said they will lock certain areas (cites, landmarks, etc) to prevent them from being destroyed by players. 

The point is the potential is there for the entire world to be destructible, but they will only allow it within certain reasonable constraints. 

I anticipate it to be more like EvE, where you can't destroy player owned stations in hi-sec, but you can in low-sec and 0.0.  PvP has not been touched on very much, but there are some very interesting interviews where faces get lit up when talking about PvP.

Most of what has been talked about has been Landmark, which is not EQN Proper.  So I'm waiting to see what comes out over the next few weeks.

@fyerwall - do you know right off hand what video Dave talked about these issues, and a time frame?  I would like to go back and re-watch the material to understand what you saw.  I wasn't looking for it the first time around, so I will admit I may have missed it; I just remember the parts about players being able to destroy other players buildings.

I do remember them talking about not being able to claim land in EQN Proper without having a housing "x" (can't remember the word he used, it's late lol).  I thought that these housing plots were hard to get, and that is the only place in EQN Proper that a player can build on.  Unless they go the EvE route, where land around established NPC cities need charters but land further away, out in the wild is free for PvP siege action.  When building it might even be a guild activity and not solo because of the resources involved.

I do agree with your last sentence that although the whole world has the potential to be destroyed (because of the voxel tech) they are limiting how and when things will get destroyed.  One of the questions asked during the Q&A panel was about multiple people on screen at one time and destroying buildings, and how that would affect visibility.  Basically they gave us the "best" case or most destructive scenario with the golem; and the average player in EQN Proper will NEVER see that type of destruction.  They gave us a dog and pony show to get us excited.

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361

With everything being destructible... does anyone else foresee every single troll in the world running by to destroy your home? Tearing down every bridge, collapsing every cave entrance and generally ruining the gameplay experience for as many people as they can? Kiting giants and dragons all the way to the main cities in order to destroy as much of that as they can?

I think the beginning months of the game are going to be very trying for those who like to build and want to carve out a portion of the world for themselves.

No matter how well thought the game is, there will always be griefers, no matter what. Without the "fully destructible" selling point, there will still be griefers, exploiters or just plain dumb asses.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    They stated at one of the panels that they recognize the potential for such things and are working on systems to prevent or minimize such things...how successfully they do this we won't know till launch.
  • ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

This is not correct...

I think its "Players will be able to tear down everything including player created structures but key buildings like Starting City ect... cant be. NPCs however, will be able to destruct even the starting locations (Giant Golems, Dragons ect...)

This was in PC Gamer

Players cant destroy other player property unless given permission.  Dave Georgeson said it in one of the interviews from ten ton hammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2P4ahDOsMk @5:55

• mos0811mos0811 Member Posts: 173
    Originally posted by tkreep

This is not correct...

I think its "Players will be able to tear down everything including player created structures but key buildings like Starting City ect... cant be. NPCs however, will be able to destruct even the starting locations (Giant Golems, Dragons ect...)

This was in PC Gamer

Players cant destroy other player property unless given permission.  Dave Georgeson said it in one of the interviews from ten ton hammer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b2P4ahDOsMk @5:55

Thanks for the link, it is very clear he states that players will not be able to blow up housing unless given permission.  That's fine with me even as a PvP oriented player.  So the  next question I'm waiting for is will guilds be able to go to war with other guilds without having to have permission.

I do think that housing brings a lot of emotion out of players.  But again that was a very specific question and it doesn't address when players create a non-housing building in Landmark and SOE ports it to EQN Proper, if those objects will be able to be destroyed.  My guess is yes, as they will be game assets not personal assets. 

I really appreciate the link.  My last question that I would love some information on; will not opening up your personal house to the possibility of destruction limit the player to what they can get in resources or land deeds.  I guess what I'm saying is by allowing your house to be destroyed will players get extra perks because they are risking more, therefor should get better rewards.  If there is no reward for opening up a house to be destroyed, then no one will ever go that route, which means they should just take that option out of the game.  If however there are perks for having your housing open to destructibility then I can see where players would flip the switch on.

TLDR: Housing will have a toggle for destructibility; but will guild halls or other group/city assets be open for destruction all the time?