Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game has too many unresolved issues.

Comments

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Sajman01
    Do you guys that want the old trinity system play tanks or healers?

Ya, I'm a treehugging druid

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Beastn
    ok... is it just me or did the definition of action combat change? when did gw2 become action combat? I remember it being tab target... Tera and neverwinter are action combat... and I liked tanking in both those games

If you call NWO action combat, then GW2 is definately action combat. Both use the same type of telegraphed large attacks that you have to stay mobile for. Either just move, or your special ability (GW2's dodge and your special class ability in NWO are very similar in that way). 

GW2 is faster responding though, because NWO doesn't allow last second blocking to stay with you tanking example. Your action is registered at the moment the mob starts its animation. As guardian fighter this is very noticable. If you block at the last visible moment, the NWO server will not register this. Even though you see that you were on time. This is not lag, it is an issue since they moved block to serverside. The server doesn't check often enough to make this work. Also it is very incoherent with what abilities will root you to the ground (aggrevating strike animation, anyone?). It is silly that it doesn't let you move when that animation is still playing. It can queue your next strike, but it can't be cut off to move lol.

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359
    Originally posted by Rydeson
    Originally posted by cybertrucker
    Originally posted by Praetalus
    No tanks or healers sealed the deal for me.. I won't be party to another mess of combat such as gw2. I HATE the combat in that game. I'll be playing ff14.

Have fun..buh bye.. 

Can you believe this guy still trying to convince people there are no roles. When its clearly been stated that there are. 

Wait.. there are roles to play? 

Yes.

I must of missed that part in the Q&A video.. So I can play the role of healer and stay back in the shadows?

I didn't miss it and I only watched the presentation 1 time.

Choose a base healing class (from 40 ther will probably be a variety) with lots of utility slots, equip healing spells into those utility slors, equip some gear that provides  synergies for your chose skills and for your movement skill choose the lurk in shadows skill.

I can play the role of mana dump to aid casters? 

There was a skill called Mana burn I think that was shown when he was discussing classes and the skills and builds and how they work. So while they didn't specifically talk about the reverse spell there is every possibility you might get variations.

pershaps something called mana transfer?

Wait.. Do casters even have a MANA pool in EQ Next? 

Yes as mentioed above.

Can I play the role of Kiter..  I loved snaring and kiting mobs..

Probably. Choose a class with a lot of movement and an attack....but why even kite? You are assuming who the combat will work and projecting rahter then allowing the possibility that combat might not be what you are used to.

Can I play the role of support such as group invis, or group levitate, or group enduring breath? 

I would imagine these spells will be avaialable and would slot into utility.

Wait, We don't even know if we can swim or not in the game.. 

No we don't....PANIC! If they is no water, then the game is gonna...gonna....we are all going to die!

Or perhaps there is water and it hasn't been shown. Afterall, they mentioned about the fact that using voxels the water actually obeys gravity and will fill any hole it is placed into or will sit as a puddle it put on the ground....kinda sounds like there is water.

So what roles are you talking about exactly?

The answer to that question is only limited by your imagination....and it sounds like you can't think of more then 1.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

Sometimes...

My main is always a Necromancer and  Monk, but, I'd like to play a tank sometimes because I consider myself good at it.

Also a healer on occasion, but it will most likely be a semi healer like a druid or shaman type because I like to add other things to the group like snare, root and other group beneficial spells.

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

Good Post Rusq..

I have no issues with DPS zerg fighting like GW2 as much as it might sound.. It has it's place and time.. I still play GW2 a couple times a week, especially if the weather is bad and I can't go golfing..  Using the first 4 slots as weapon slots.. GREAT. I would of liked to see 5, but I'll take 4 non the less.. DPS away..  Even Gandalf was able to melee fight toe to toe..

BUT..

I wish they would of left those last 4 class buttons for role defining abilities.. Whether it be healing, taunting, stunning, CC'ing, Kiting, etc etc..  This basically gives the players the option to CHOOSE their way of playing.. If they want to ZERG rush the mob, DO IT!.. If the group wants to trinity the mob to death.. DO IT!.. If a person wants to fear kite or standard kite a mob(s) to death  DO IT!.. If an Enchanter wants to charm one mob, so they can make it attack the other, DO IT!...... Variety and Freedom is fun.. However, I don't think that is what we have here, is it?

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by Dullahan

Right.

The players are not convinced, and at this point I think they are already starting to feel the heat that this decision has generated.  They really seemed to struggle to convince the players, and looked more like they were trying to convince themselves.

Which players? The vocal bunch of EQ vets and old school themepark fans who keep crying on these forums because their beloved 90's combat system is in danger?

Or the players who are looking for an interesting new take on the MMO genre? Those who actively hate the trinity and hope for MMOs to evolve beyond it? Or all the potential players who don't give a crap about traditional MMO combat mechanics and just want a fun game?

You are not a representative of "the players", you know. If SOE wanted to please the EQ1 vets by keeping ancient combat mechanics and class systems they would not have designed the game this way to begin with, so I think it's safe to assume that the hardcore trinity fans' optinions will be thoroughly ignored (thank god).

• MarkusrindMarkusrind Member Posts: 359

So says you.

The trinity or tank role is not only the foundation of rpg combat, but has existed in games since before the genre all the way back to pen and paper.

Really? I first started D&D back in 81 and since then don't remember there being agro and the only think you might consider being a tank was the warrior type class...and they were as able to do damage and the other classes if they wanted to do so. .

So how did fights work back in the day? Well the well armoured guys would stand in doorways or block hallways or position themselves so that, should a monser try and run past to get to the mage at the back they would leave themselves vulnerable. Did they risk it or did they not?

The closet to an agro system was the Halfling racial aboity (taunt or something) but that was not really an agro system, just a neat racial trait.

If you want to use old RPG games to support your claim please think first. And agro, as you mention, has simply been part of MMO's simply because that was all technology could allow. Well I guess the guys who brought you the agro system feel technology has finally caught up how combat should be. 

• drbaltazardrbaltazar Member UncommonPosts: 7,856
    under devlopped? lol !of caurse they are at the beginning of the process ! what did you think ?they had 1 year left to release ? lol ! nope !probably 3 or 4 year of dev left !

NO offense Mark.. but I think you wanted to hear things that weren't said in the Q&A..  The switching of skills from one class and another has restrictions in case you missed that part..  Let me give you an example:  Lets assume I"m playing a Rogue, and as a rogue I'm giving 4 character slots..  That is NOT meaning I can stick whatever I want in those slots..  Those slots have theme restrictions.. Such as..  The Rogue as I was saying will have 1 movement slot, 2 offensive slots and 1 utility slot for example..  The ONLY skills I can swap out with the movement slot are other movement slots.. This means I swap out shadow step for leap.. SAME result, just done differently.. You do NOT have the freedom to remove the shadow step and swap it with "back stab".. They are not of the same category..  Offensive skills can ONLY be swapped out with other offensive skills.. Same with Defensive skills and Utility and so on and so on.. 

Furthermore, it was also stipulated by the panel you may not have the freedom to replace ALL offensives skills with one another without limitations.. Again here is another example:.. All skills will take a certain about of energy to do.. If your energy pool only has 50 units, and your two PRESET offensive skils use 30 and 20 respectfully, then you can use both back to back.. BUT.. If you wish to replace the 20 unit skill with a 30 unit skill.. YOU must find a way to increase your energy pool.. They indicated this can be done with gear.. I assume going from one tier to a higher one.. 

Does that clear things up?

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by CalmOceans
    Watching the Q&A panel made me realise, as I suspected, that this team has no solution for the inherent problems of action combat that GW2 has.Someone asked the question how a lack of trinity, is going fix the issue of tanks and healers in the game, and how they are going to avoid the issues GW2 has. Their answer is simply:"Everyone is DPS"It's like they don't realise the issues with action combat or didn't anticipate these questions.I think this game is severely underdeveloped and they have no idea whatsoever on how to fix gameplay issues when they copy the action combat system and remove trinity and aggro.Let alone all the community and raid issues this system creates.The fact they said earlier in the video that they think having to rely on other classes in a raid is a bad system, but don't offer an alternative except making everyone DPS and removing tanks and healers, is staggering.It's completely mindboggling how this game that has more holes in their system than swiss cheese got "best MMORPG of E3"

Or maybe they realized that there are a large number of people who are tired of trinity combat. That's not an issue, that's supplying what their target audience wants.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401
    Originally posted by Markusrind
    No tanks or healers sealed the deal for me.. I won't be party to another mess of combat such as gw2. I HATE the combat in that game. I'll be playing ff14.

Have fun..buh bye.. 

Can you believe this guy still trying to convince people there are no roles. When its clearly been stated that there are. 

Probably. Choose a class with a lot of movement and an attack....but why even kite? You are assuming who the combat will work and projecting rahter then allowing the possibility that combat might not be what you are used to.

Oh boy... You just stepped on a lot of bard, druid and necromancer toes.

I wish you the best of luck, lol.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

Exactly.  I loled every time a question was asked about combat and roles.  They are screwed if they don't make a drastic change to their plan in this regard.

Roundtable should give them a way out.  I hope in the coming months they start seeking more player feedback on these type of things so they can appear to gracefully bow out and allow the EQ fans to have the sort of game they want, which most definitely won't have GW2 combat.  I don't believe any amount "emergent AI" will keep their combat from sucking.

This is a clear case of hearingwhatyouwanttohearitus. Where the devs have clearly  .THAT YOU CAN TAKE ON DIFFERENT ROLES IN COMBAT! Yet you keep trying to claim they didn't say this.

What is so hard to understand about the concept that just because they offer the ability play a hybrid type character doesn't mean you have to. They have stated that classes have different roles they excel in. However you can mix it up some. And bring other abilities to the fight as well. However they have also stated you CAN play a purist and still do well.

I'm going to post this panel video again, with pertinent time stamps to disprove the misinformation Dullahan keeps spewing out in thread after thread. 

There are roles, and there is flexibility in the system so that you can play how you want.  If you want to play a pure healer, you can.  If you want to play a pure Warrior, you can.  Or, a rogue, or a ranger, or whatever.  Multi-classing is an option, and if you don't want to do it, or don't understand it, you can just stick to one class.

What they have removed, and it is talked about in great length in my link, is stupid NPC AI.  So, a mob isn't going to mindlessly beat on one single character while 12 others are damaging it.  They've made the NPC's smart this time, so more strategy is involved in taking them down rather than sitting in one place and spamming keys.  Group effort is also stressed for goals, coordination, and creating effective strategies to accomplish what you need.  It is not the mindless key spam and simplification that certain people here keep trolling on and on about.

Additionally (also in the panel video), the Dev's have played (and are playing to learn from other's mistakes) GW2, NW, and others to improve upon those systems. 

Do your research, guys.  Watch the panels again and stop listening to the steaming BS that a handful of people are trying to feed you as facts.

Class Panel part 2

Forward to 13:30 and then 19:18

You can't get any clearer than that to dispel the misinformation that is running rampant here.

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662

All I'm hearing is:

• i want my theme park mechanics
    • i want my theme park roles 
    • I want my theme park gameplay
    • i want my theme park goals

Teh game will fail without theme park features...but last time I checked this was a sandbox mmorpg...go figure.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

Originally posted by Storm_Cloud
    Originally posted by Markusrind

Have fun..buh bye.. 

Oh boy... You just stepped on a lot of bard, druid and necromancer toes.

I wish you the best of luck, lol.

My motto as a druid was ...  "If I can snare it, I own it".. LOL

• CelciusCelcius Member RarePosts: 1,869

It is very possible to have great gameplay without the trinity. Personally I think GW2 does it well enough to be enjoyable, but they have yet to make it challenging. I will say though that they can make it challenging I think, but thats another story.

The main thing here to look at is the AI. The AI in MMOs has been retarded as hell, with the same boring mechanics, since MMOs first started. MMO developers have relied on scripting to make content challenging. SOE is setting out to make the game challenging by creating smart AI. Whether or not this will actually be successful has yet to be proven. But don't pretend that they can't make an enjoyable game without the trinity. There are plenty of cooperative games out there where they do not use this formula in combat that have far more compelling gameplay then any MMO currently does. 

check the secret world !it is one of the game that give the most choice class wise !so much choice in fact that people don't know what do to do ! and yet when you read the lfg they all ask this :looking for dps healer and tank ! they don't need those the game is made in a way it isn't needed ! but people don't want to take damage (cost too much)so when you go in lfg everybody is always looking for a tank and a healer even tho they aren't required to do those dungeon ! but they don't know how to play without those !
  • AntariousAntarious Member UncommonPosts: 2,834
    Originally posted by Telondariel

Class Panel part 2

You can't get any clearer than that to dispel the misinformation that is running rampant here.

Thank you for posting that.   Its kind of sad that you have to post that... and it is very clear what they are trying to do and why.. even how.    Its amazing how many threads are in this forum... that simply ignore the fact that this data is out there.

Again.. thank you for posting that.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    If you're a tank/healer and they don't put healing spells or tanking skills in the game then I can fully sympathize with you. Your preferred style of play isn't being given as an option so you have every right to ask for more.

If you play a DPS and you're unhappy without the trinity, I don't feel bad for you. Since you'd play a DPS regardless of the system the lack of a holy trinity doesn't affect you. What you're asking for is to force others to play healer/tanks, that's just being unpleasant and selfish.
    Originally posted by Celcius

It is very possible to have great gameplay without the trinity. Personally I think GW2 does it well enough to be enjoyable, but they have yet to make it challenging. I will say though that they can make it challenging I think, but thats another story.

The main thing here to look at is the AI. The AI in MMOs has been retarded as hell, with the same boring mechanics, since MMOs first started. MMO developers have relied on scripting to make content challenging. SOE is setting out to make the game challenging by creating smart AI. Whether or not this will actually be successful has yet to be proven. But don't pretend that they can't make an enjoyable game without the trinity. There are plenty of cooperative games out there where they do not use this formula in combat that have far more compelling gameplay then any MMO currently does. 

gw2 ias challenging ,their issue? the auto adjust based on the number of player is badly tweaked !at time you get too many mob because other are in the vincinity but not doing same stuff (like some are puzzle solving just a few meter upper then you .the game doesn't understand this tho and adjust badly other time it is so easy even tho you are with lot of other player

the thing adjusting this need to be tweaked I agree but aside from this? when you are solo it is pretty much proper

hopefully gw2 group detection heuristic is gona be tweaked because right now it is bad!

Originally posted by drbaltazar
    check the secret world !it is one of the game that give the most choice class wise !so much choice in fact that people don't know what do to do ! and yet when you read the lfg they all ask this :looking for dps healer and tank ! they don't need those the game is made in a way it isn't needed ! but people don't want to take damage (cost too much)so when you go in lfg everybody is always looking for a tank and a healer even tho they aren't required to do those dungeon ! but they don't know how to play without those !

Well, in EQN you can still play your pure healer, or Enchanter, or Wizard, or whatever.  So, for those that want to maintain those roles, you can still do it and be just as successful as someone who does something else. 

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Good Post Rusq..

I have no issues with DPS zerg fighting like GW2 as much as it might sound.. It has it's place and time.. I still play GW2 a couple times a week, especially if the weather is bad and I can't go golfing..  Using the first 4 slots as weapon slots.. GREAT. I would of liked to see 5, but I'll take 4 non the less.. DPS away..  Even Gandalf was able to melee fight toe to toe..

BUT..

I wish they would of left those last 4 class buttons for role defining abilities.. Whether it be healing, taunting, stunning, CC'ing, Kiting, etc etc..  This basically gives the players the option to CHOOSE their way of playing.. If they want to ZERG rush the mob, DO IT!.. If the group wants to trinity the mob to death.. DO IT!.. If a person wants to fear kite or standard kite a mob(s) to death  DO IT!.. If an Enchanter wants to charm one mob, so they can make it attack the other, DO IT!...... Variety and Freedom is fun.. However, I don't think that is what we have here, is it?

I think that's what we'll get. It's very much in line with GW2.

Your weapon set might give 4 dps abilities, but think of it like warriors in GW2, you can go Axe/Axe for pure dps, but your utility skills can be: Endure Pain (take no damage from attacks for 4 seconds), Stomp (launches nearby foes and breaks stun), Banner of Defense (grants toughness and vitality to allies), Battle Standard (revives fallen allies and grants fury, might, stability).

I see EQN working very similarly to that. You pick your weapon which gives you base skills to play with, one, some, or all of those skills might be oriented in one way or another (defense/offense), your 4 class abilities are going to be picked from the ones you've unlocked for that class (again, just like GW2 where you unlock utility skills for your class), you equip what you prefer to play with and have at it.

I like the system, and I understand that elitists will devolve the game into a dps-fest, but we don't have to play with those people. I don't play with them in GW2, I play how I want to play and I have fun.

oh it is the same in tsw !you can do a tank build there is a spoke for that ,there is a healer spoke and a dps spoke !those are all there but you can mix and match if you want to and not do trinity wich a lot of player do I assume ! some have odd ball build because it make the game harder (in its own fashion) like they don't bring a heal skill so when they meet foe the chance of dying is very high  etc !
    hopefull they wont put a big global cooldown ! 1 second of global cooldown is too long ! it should be like window 400 millisecond !
    Originally posted by Antarious
    Originally posted by Telondariel

Class Panel part 2

Thank you for posting that.   Its kind of sad that you have to post that... and it is very clear what they are trying to do and why.. even how.    Its amazing how many threads are in this forum... that simply ignore the fact that this data is out there.

Again.. thank you for posting that.

You are very welcome!

Unfortunately, not everyone had the chance or the time to see the panels being streamed.  A lot of people just come here or elsewhere to read the forums with the expectation of getting real information.  Then, they are met with multiple threads created by people who are not doing the community any good whatsoever by spreading blatant, intentional, misinformation. 

As you can see, the real information is out there and it is very much the opposite of what is being reiterated here as fact.

• CalamarCalamar Member Posts: 116

Well, I loved playing my  Chanter (EQ) and my Coercer (EQ2), heavy focused CC classes that worked really well with a trinity system.

Lately what I enjoy playing are healers (either in pve or pvp).

Never liked playing a pure DPS class, I find them boring.

The thing is, talking about my previous expectations,  my Hope was that EQ next would bring back roles like CC, buffer and debuffer to the trinity.

How wrong I was O.o.

Not going to trash/praise  EQNext/SOE until I can see the full thing working but what I have seen by now   has been a letdown for me.