Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 is not for me

2»

Comments

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212
    Oh I remember what else I was going to address. Yes, people with higher Battle Rank do have an advantage because they have more certs and hence better equipment. However that is not insurmountable by any means. Again, it takes practice to be good, but I've started several new characters, even as recently as a week ago, and I can hold my own even then against high BR players. It's not easy, but you CAN be competitive and catch up eventually, especially if you invest in XP boosters or subscribe.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Thats what happens when a soldier tries to be a lone wolf hero without his battle buddies...he dies
  • ShadanwolfShadanwolf Member UncommonPosts: 2,392

Reguardless of what you or I say......the great mass of people have rejected this game.Servers have been closed...employees have been fired.A judgement has been made.

Can things be turned around ?

you are asking the people who made the judgements that made this failure to somehow re-think their decisions.

I don't think so.We are looking at the walking dead with this game.

What the heck are you on about? I can find fights on all three servers I play on pretty much 24/7 and in prime time hours even on weekdays there are continent switching queues, even for subscribers sometimes. So I'm not sure where you get your information, but PS2 is FAR from dying there Chicken Little... just because a few vocal people on the internet don't like it and claim the game is dead or dying is meaningless. I play the game nearly every day, I know what the population is like.

"Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by expresso
    PS2 does appeal to me for the reason most miltiary FPS don't, you die to quickly and its all about spray and prey - games such as Tribes where you have to aim, lead your targets and you take a a few hits is far more appealing.

I love people that "spray and pray' in PS2, you pad my kill count. Aiming is king, except in a very few instances, and ofc when using a shotgun. I play tribes as well, I used to play competitively once you master the angles and speed of the game, it is not so different.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Originally posted by Shadanwolf
    Originally posted by Xasapis I wouldn't worry about the dying part. Even the veterans die, a lot. The only difference is that they know how to position themselves better to avoid some enemy fire. The first thing I would suggest is finding some people that have a clue about what they are doing and following them around assisting. And I don't mean as a medic, but generally assisting as in assist fire etc. You can also join a public squad, but those are a hit and miss in terms of people leading them.   My guess is that your first experience was from spawning on a base already doomed and your people suppressed already inside the spawn room. Sometimes it pays off better to respawn on a previous base down the line and organise a proper defense.
    It's not the dieing...and you know it's not the dieing.It's how level 100's play with level 20's like a cat does to a mouse. You are expected to compete with a EXPERIENCED......FULLY EQUIPPED player when you have little knowlege...... and equipment that doesn't come close to matching the enemy's combination of armor ,weapons and experience.

And people wonder why this game died months after it was born !

Good riddance I say.

PS2 is still going quite strong...not sure what you are talking about but it is easy to find fights even off peak times on all three of the servers I play on.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967

Client... Side... Hit Detection

The hit detection in PlanetSide 2 is the worst I've experienced in any online multiplayer FPS I've ever played in my entire life.

If you're coming from another FPS hoping to carry over whatever "skills" you think you might have, more than likely you'll end up frustrating yourself and 2nd guessing your reflexes, muscle memory and tactics. Teamwork or not.

AVOID Planetside 2 until they figure out their way, and if you MUST play it, do yourself a favor and avoid playing New Congomerate faction. NC weapons + Hit Detection = PermaFAIL.

I believe they're working on optimizing the game so it will run 30% more efficient. A lot of good that's gonna do with the abysmal hit detection. You've been warned.

"As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    As lovely a polished as it is, it's just nowhere as much fun as the first game (even with all its long-term issues and dumb BFR nonsense). It's an ongoing theme with new versus old for me. There's just no developers shooting from the hip anymore, it's all about populism and making the big bucks..which I kind of understand as they are businesses obviously. PS2 is supposed to be easy for anyone to log in and jump straight into the game and hopefully buy some stuff in the store to keep the wheel turning. The gameplay is all about bambambam take base, move on, take another base and forget about the experience once you log out. In the first planetside I can actually remember individual tower fights from 7 years ago. Why? Because there was strategy and everything hung on a knife edge and the actions of one player could turn the tide. Even the complex build system of PS1 (as opposed to generic pre-made PS2 build rubbish) was fun and made for a lot of complexity in the groups you went up against. Anyhoo, I suppose I just need to get used to games made for the masses and dumbed down to boot.        
  • gunjinngunjinn Member Posts: 24

Nothing comes near to PS2 in simulating military operations which often turn out to be chaotic and wildly fun.

Finding your place in this chaos is the point of this game.

If you keep hitting a wall and come to forums to whine about it, this game is clearly not for you.

Welcome to Auraxis.

• goldtoofgoldtoof Member Posts: 337
    ALL fps have client side hit detection
  • TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by FlyByKnight

Client... Side... Hit Detection

The hit detection in PlanetSide 2 is the worst I've experienced in any online multiplayer FPS I've ever played in my entire life.

If you're coming from another FPS hoping to carry over whatever "skills" you think you might have, more than likely you'll end up frustrating yourself and 2nd guessing your reflexes, muscle memory and tactics. Teamwork or not.

AVOID Planetside 2 until they figure out their way, and if you MUST play it, do yourself a favor and avoid playing New Congomerate faction. NC weapons + Hit Detection = PermaFAIL.

I believe they're working on optimizing the game so it will run 30% more efficient. A lot of good that's gonna do with the abysmal hit detection. You've been warned.

This right here is the post for all the people thinking about playing the game to really pay attention too.

For those competative FPSers out there or for people that enjoy your shots being accurate, prepare to be dissapointed.

I can't tell you how many times I have killed people while I said to myself, how the hell did I hit them and vice versa.  It's because the client side hit detection is horrible in this game.  Worse then even Planetside 1.

All and all this game has been a failure compared to PS1.  PS1 had some type of freaking depth and a meta game, this game as it is right now is one giant death match.  And like some others have pointed out in the game, the staff has been dramatically cut.

They haven't had a meaningful update in several months, all the "content" was pushed back so they could optimize their game..  Which is funny because you would think that would have been the first thing they did even before release...

So they choose to try to "optimize" their game right around the time when the new COD and Battlefield come out... Smart cookies these guys are...

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• MakidianMakidian Member UncommonPosts: 208
    I have only been playing a couple of weeks and I'm doing just fine and I'm NC, not sure why so many are complaining about this game, I think it's great.
    It's easy to spot the people who tried it for 1 week about 9 months ago with stupid comments like "its just 1 giant death match"

Also as for complaints about aiming being off, unlike cod, planetside 2 doesn't aim for you.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

when i play PS2 i only play 2 classes (Engineer and heavy Assault).

When i play Engineer i focus on getting all my experience from repairing, getting anti tank mine kills, sometimes turrent kills but mostly repairing stuff. On the other hand, with Heavy Assault i get most of my kills thanks to the Rocket Launcher. Aim it at a group and bam!!!!  Also taking down vehicles with it.

Thats my experience in PS2 every time i log in. However, I havent been logging in for a while because i get bored of the one mode affair in the game. It needs different types of objectives, not just capture everything.

That's what the alerts are for.
    Client side hit detection only gets bad when either you are trying to run PS2 on a sub par PC or there is a huge 100+ person battle going on. It can be frustrating sure, but it's not insurmountable, and not nearly as bad as people are making it out to be. I know, it's hard to play FPS without aim assist and hit scan on. Also, the huge optimization patch, "OMFG" aka Operation Make Faster Game, should improve this type of performance immensely. For those complaining about the lack of content while they work on OMFG... it's a ballsy move and controversial, but it was definitely the right thing to do and I applaud them for going ahead with such an ambitious and divisive plan. It should be out soon and then content will be coming out at a nice fast pace with the added benefit of the game running much, much better.

Member Since March 2004