Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Telegraph system: Do you like it?

Comments

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Originally posted by rojo6934
    i dont like Telegraphs. I am not a dumb person, i dont need a telegraph to tell me i have to move away to avoid enemy attacks. I can find that out for my self. I like that GW2 lets you disable it. I havent seen any info about WildStar allowing you to disable it. Having mandatory telegraphs in game combat is an insult to my capabilities as a gamer.

Chimpanzees display almost human-like intelligence because they will use simple tools like sticks and stones to help it obtain food.

The telegraph system is also a tool.

Chimpanzees would not be considered smart if they refused to use those tools even though they knew how to use them and instead starved to death.

There's no sush thing as a telegraph system to survive in the jungle and the telegraph system in game is not a tool, it's just part of the interface.

They used stones to crack up things that can't be eaten as a whole. They use sharpened sticks as a fishing pole for insects. A human tried to do the same thing with a stick and he failed because we don't have the same teeth. This is just to say that nothing would be as easy as the telegraph system in the jungle with no weapons or tools found outside of it.

Last thing, there's no other way for a chimpanzee to eat. Their tools and the way they use it don't make a situation easier to live with, it just adds more possibilities. With or without the telegraph system, you can achieve the same thing with adaptation and becoming better as a player instead of looking on the ground for the red lights that you usually see everyday when you cross the streets

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• jesusjuice69jesusjuice69 Member Posts: 276
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

i dont like Telegraphs. I am not a dumb person, i dont need a telegraph to tell me i have to move away to avoid enemy attacks. I can find that out for my self. I like that GW2 lets you disable it. I havent seen any info about WildStar allowing you to disable it. Having mandatory telegraphs in game combat is an insult to my capabilities as a gamer.

Chimpanzees display almost human-like intelligence because they will use simple tools like sticks and stones to help it obtain food.

The telegraph system is also a tool.

Chimpanzees would not be considered smart if they refused to use those tools even though they knew how to use them and instead starved to death.

There's no sush thing as a telegraph system to survive in the jungle and the telegraph system in game is not a tool, it's just part of the interface.

They used stones to crack up things that can't be eaten as a whole. They use sharpened sticks as a fishing pole for insects. A human tried to do the same thing with a stick and he failed because we don't have the same teeth. This is just to say that nothing would be as easy as the telegraph system in the jungle with no weapons or tools found outside of it.

Last thing, there's no other way for a chimpanzee to eat. Their tools and the way they use it don't make a situation easier to live with, it just adds more possibilities. With or without the telegraph system, you can achieve the same thing with adaptation and becoming better as a player instead of looking on the ground for the red lights that you usually see everyday when you cross the streets

Your understanding of analogies, definitions, and biology are poor.   Your post is making my head hurt.

Why are you talking about the jungle in response to telegraphs?

The interface itself is a tool.  The telegraph system is a sub category of the interface, thus a tool.   Anything that you would consider technology or a result of technology is a tool.  Which is pretty much anything that isn't part of the natural world.

The whole combat system is built around telegraphs, so you can't possibly fight without them. 

Wildstar

This is a mid level dungeon, and they increase in difficulty as the game progresses. 

NOTE:  This is a walkthrough in Dev mode.

http://youtu.be/ko4cX0majzg?t=17m26s

Watch that, then tell me you could do those encounters without telegraphs, and that telegraphs are for dumb people.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

Yeah folks this telegraph stuff will make this game easy mode!

I mean look at this video below of a instance in WILDSTAR, WAY TO FREAKING EASY and BORING!  ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

http://uk.gamespot.com/gamescom/wildstar-raiding-rampage-6413630/

Screw this borefest or a game lemme go log on to FFX8V4 and spool up my 10 second cast spells or wait until I can play Everquest Next and face level 10 mobs with the intelligence of Hal 9000...

Edit:  /Sarcasm off  (for some reason I felt like I should add this)

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• droopydroopy Member Posts: 15

Well i've been back and forth on this too but i do not think it being to easy really is an issue with Wildstar as the devs themself said they will cater to the 1% (stupid phrase) anyways if you played WoW back in Vanilla/TBC you know what that means where if lucky there was 2 guilds from each side that could even clear the entire raid on the whole server while most struggle with the first boss for a couple of weeks. 

Allso with Telegraphs it doesn't mean that the Ogre will throw his boulder in the same spot for the duration of the fight with a big fat marker to indicate it even further, most of the videos i've seen and that is public are from the low to early mid level where it's still quite easy to dodge telegraphs unless you're really bad at the game and it will ramp up as you level, i guess faster enemy casts and more random patterns and more devastating blows

Allso what jesusjuice69 said.

No what i'm concerned about:

- Will they use this waaaay to much as in all the monsters ingame? 

- That my focus will mostly be on the ground instead of the monster/player, i've always been using keybinds so i rarely look down, except for some CD's/health etc if i need to.

- And most important, how will players feel after months of playing the game and still need to dodge all the mobs in the game? i love to farm while doing world PvP for an example but i can see it can become VERY annoying with the constant need to dodge mobs 24/7 for a year. Sometimes it's relaxing to kick back with a beer and listen to some chill music while farming some gold and that possible world drop or whatever.

Need to see more or hopefully try it out myself before i can tell how i like it, but that's atleast my thoughts and concerns.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by droopy

Well i've been back and forth on this too but i do not think it being to easy really is an issue with Wildstar as the devs themself said they will cater to the 1% (stupid phrase) anyways if you played WoW back in Vanilla/TBC you know what that means where if lucky there was 2 guilds from each side that could even clear the entire raid on the whole server while most struggle with the first boss for a couple of weeks. 

Allso with Telegraphs it doesn't mean that the Ogre will throw his boulder in the same spot for the duration of the fight with a big fat marker to indicate it even further, most of the videos i've seen and that is public are from the low to early mid level where it's still quite easy to dodge telegraphs unless you're really bad at the game and it will ramp up as you level, i guess faster enemy casts and more random patterns and more devastating blows

Allso what jesusjuice69 said.

No what i'm concerned about:

- Will they use this waaaay to much as in all the monsters ingame? 

Yes, i suppose they will starting from level 5 or so, I think people will eventually grow tired of the red marks rather fast if they overdo with the mechanic

- That my focus will mostly be on the ground instead of the monster/player, i've always been using keybinds so i rarely look down, except for some CD's/health etc if i need to.

have to see how this plays out, but i think it has you looking at all the surroundings inclusing the ground, propogating to have your camera quite some distannce behind your character, which in my case does not work good for game immersion...

- And most important, how will players feel after months of playing the game and still need to dodge all the mobs in the game? i love to farm while doing world PvP for an example but i can see it can become VERY annoying with the constant need to dodge mobs 24/7 for a year. Sometimes it's relaxing to kick back with a beer and listen to some chill music while farming some gold and that possible world drop or whatever.

If they overdo with the mechanic... this will be a gamebreaker for much of the old MMo crowd.. sometimes you want to take it easy and relax.. if all the mobs keep spawning telegraphs, thats not possible. Its one of the reasons i play another game next to GW2... 

Need to see more or hopefully try it out myself before i can tell how i like it, but that's atleast my thoughts and concerns.

In the end they act like the Telegraphing system is something they invented, but we all know its around allready in some games. They just make it the signature of their game...  we just need to see how it works out, it will be fun at the start for sure..

But them setting this up in a very dynamic way, as the video shows, will prevent it from going true easy mode...  I hope however that jumping out of the red is not allways the only solution and not allways the best methode to counter the mob.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    After playing Wildstar at Gamescom, i really like the system it goes very well with the speed of the combat.

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Punk999
    After playing Wildstar at Gamescom, i really like the system it goes very well with the speed of the combat.

Important note taken

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• JinzouningenJinzouningen Member UncommonPosts: 39

In reply to the telegraph question. yeah i like it. If you played Wow its just DBM built in. If you watched the gamescon dungeon walk through you can see it still takes skill and situational awareness. 

Like someone else said, even with DBM and crummy frames mods people still got tunnel vision or just werent very bright and no amount of telegraphs could help em.

• revslaverevslave Member UncommonPosts: 154

Did i miss an early release of this game?  I kinda miss the days when people waited until release to trash a game.

• Teh_AxiTeh_Axi Member UncommonPosts: 380
    I don't mind it, I think its a nice balance between classic RPG (ie RNG) and a more action based style.
  • -aLpHa--aLpHa- Member UncommonPosts: 852

I like the telegraph system, i also like what they are doing with the crowd control. It gives a lot of control back to the players hand, dodge almost all the abilities of the npcs or other players.

It is not really insulting to me but more engaging to actually do something more then just stand there and smash the abilities. I really like what they are doing in Wildstar as a whole, they took allot of good stuff from GW 2 and improved it in their game.

edit: Jinzouninge thanks for the heads up about the gamescom video, just watched it and all i can say is, it looks like a ton of fun.

for those who wanna see the video:

http://www.gamespot.com/gamescom/wildstar-raiding-rampage-6413630/

If this is the very first dungeon, the high level dungeons must be rather hardcore ^^.

No prob. They also have another housing video with more features. Hoping they show more high quality gameplay videos instead of 2nd hand filmed off a big screen videos when they go to Pax prime.

Found this tucked away on the Wildstar site. Some mightve seen it already but i sure hadnt.

http://youtu.be/J0TdsPVLna4

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

You started well with your post for criticizing it, comparing it to the raid of wow, but complaining about the simple fact that we can, must and constantly have to dodge is not the problem. Plus, it looks like you can't dodge everything aka basic attacks. I understand if you're not used to none target based mmo where you have to dodge, but once you get used to it, it will be hard to go back believe it, but i still like wow tho.

Me, i'm just saying that wildstar would have been a good game if it did not overuse the telegraph system. EQN will have it too, but based on the trailer that i saw, not everything will have a telegraph plus they don't give you much time to dodge based on the boulder drop that i saw from the golem in the trailer. 

In conclusion, good things can come out from the telegraph system. You just have to keep the challenge in and the devs should not hold our hands. I just feel like wild star is going way too far with this and they're not using the telegraph system the way it was meant to be used in gaming. They're simply removing our reason to adapt, to learn the pattern of our enemies and to win after.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

You started well with your post for criticizing it, comparing it to the raid of wow, but complaining about the simple fact that we can, must and constantly have to dodge is not the problem. Plus, it looks like you can't dodge everything aka basic attacks. I understand if you're not used to none target based mmo where you have to dodge, but once you get used to it, it will be hard to go back believe it, but i still like wow tho.

Me, i'm just saying that wildstar would have been a good game if it did not overuse the telegraph system. EQN will have it too, but based on the trailer that i saw, not everything will have a telegraph plus they don't give you much time to dodge based on the boulder drop that i saw from the golem in the trailer. 

In conclusion, good things can come out from the telegraph system. You just have to keep the challenge in and the devs should not hold our hands. I just feel like wild star is going way too far with this and they're not using the telegraph system the way it was meant to be used in gaming. They're simply removing our reason to adapt, to learn the pattern of our enemies and to win after.

Have you even played this game?  And if so where?

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    I hate it. And if they dont allow us to turn them off at the very least in the open world they wont see my money. Too bad because the rest of the game looks fantastic, but mandatory telegraphs are an insult to any experienced gamer.

• xFaydexFayde Member Posts: 8

Forum post bugged out double posted sorry :P IGNORE THIS

DELETED
    I hate it. And if they dont allow us to turn them off at the very least in the open world they wont see my money. Too bad because the rest of the game looks fantastic, but mandatory telegraphs are an insult to any What's wrong with people like you do you just live under a rock and fling insults towards games? they have said a bunch of times you can fully customize telegraphs (colours for each type,( ON or OFF) etc so yes you can turn them off.

What's wrong with people like you do you just live under a rock and fling insults towards games? they have said a bunch of times you can fully customize telegraphs (colours for each type,( ON or OFF) etc so yes you can turn them off.

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

Regardless if you like or don't like telegraphs they have said you can turn them off so this thread is kind of pointless.

If you like telegraphs leave them ON If you don't then disable them I don't get what's the problem. I will personally have them off

• Swids2010Swids2010 Member Posts: 244

My little cousin is trying to get me in wildstar. I was never interested in this game before. While i tried to like it for him, i could not stop making fun of this game while he took it as an offense. I made fun of one feature: The telegraph system and how overused it is.

I feel like you can dodge everything. I'm from the megaman X era and i'm one of these players that have to learn to die before dodging everything. From watching one pve video of wild star, i don't see myself dying unless i get tired of trying to kill an high level enemy when i'm level 10-20 because it might take an hour. 

I just beat dark souls and i'm waiting for the next one. That's one game i would not play if they had a telegraph system.

My question is: Will there be a server to completely remove these silly red lights that you see everyday at each intersections? 

Just turn them off if you don't like

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I hate it. And if they dont allow us to turn them off at the very least in the open world they wont see my money. Too bad because the rest of the game looks fantastic, but mandatory telegraphs are an insult to any experienced gamer.
    calm yourself. you can turn them off.

I don't think you've really looked into the game's combat system. Yes, it's pretty easy to dodge a single telegraph against a single mob, just like it's easy to jump over a fireball in Street Fighter 4. However, not every combat situation is going to be the same. There's plenty of possibilities such as dodging multiple telegraphs in a short time span while trying to focus on another objective such as healing or holding aggro (both of which require aiming), or having to avoid attacks while under some form of crowd control (when blinded for example, your screen is blacked out partially).

You will have to show me a video that contains what you describe or i will have to wait and see. I've seen enough footage, but not one with a lot of enemies at once. I think i saw 3-4 enemies at once at max and they did not seem to be hard to dodge either.

The bosses that i saw seemed to be simple to beat. Only thing they can do that is good is a normal attack since it's impossible to dodge when you're targeted.

I did not know that enemies attacked faster as you level up, but if bosses seem to be as slow as any other enemies that i saw so far, i find this hard to believe.

Watch the whole video this is the first dungeon you get in the game for low lvl dungeon it seems pretty difficult(telegraph wise ) and yes it has been confirmed that as you lvl up telegraphs will get Bigger Faster and Harder just look at some footage before you judge and also the only telegraphs shown right now are lvl 1-20 so of course they are not going to be hard to dodge otherwise someone will start up the game think its to hard and wont bother with the game they made it so its on a learning curve pretty much every knew zone telegraphs will get harder and harder.

The funny thing is people seem to think telegraphs are the only things you will be focusing on hence making them easy no that is not the case at all .When you factor in Aiming Moving Dodging and Healing it will be much different  especially since you have to manually aim almost 85% of your skills ( like MOBA targeting where its a cone telegraph and you have to aim it ) .
  • MaelzraelMaelzrael Member UncommonPosts: 405

Anyone who says the telegraph system makes the game too easy obviously hasn't been following the game at all. It's been made pretty clear that the game is meant for people who like a challenge.

Also.. you can turn the telegraphs off. Wow... /thread.