Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It really happened did it?

Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

Obviously they could not sattisfy all and everyone with the information they gave us so far...

Well, thats as expected, people where expecting so much different things, that it was impossible to sattisfy everyone from the go, and then there where so many things not even touched in the keynote and that made another group of players assuming all things not mentioned will not be in game...

the things i learned yesterday are as follows..

PvE is obviously the main focus of the game, which was to be expected from SOE, never expected anything else. But this does not mean there will not be any PvP, i am still expecting a full PvP continent, people will love building stuff with the landmark engine in those areas while others just love to destroy them. Its even clear to me that building your own stuff, weather it be housing or PvP stuff requires resources... Its obvious to me that PvP can still be great in this game.. The tools are there, and its up to the playerbase to push the developers in the right direction.  FFA or server wide PvE seems however not the focus of the game.

classes are more diverse then in any other game so far, over 40 classes and a possibility to multiclass many of them, however skills are bound to weapons,  so we might need to wayt a little how much freedom there actually is. If you can equip only 2 sets of weapons then there might be less diversity then i was hoping for, however this all needs to be seen.

Combat is flashy and allows you to destroy stuff, keep in mind tough that destroying a bridge will be temporary... We however do not know yet hoe actionbased the UI part will be, and how many skills one can equip, we do however know that the combat visuals will be very flashy, sadly even destructing most of the fight.. Tab targetting or fps style?  Who knows?  I dont. Do you? Trinnity or not? No answer yet.  

Graphics are cartoony, because thats the only way possible to make a timeless game.  However their art style is up for discussion i personally really liked their environments and i also loved the females casters look and the emotes, i had more trouble with how the lionking looked and how the plated armor look felt like a WoW ripoff, nothing wrong with this, as long as they also offer more realistic armor looks. Annimations however where top knotch, with fluent movement in combat and a natural flow with the slides and so out of combat.  Spell effect and espescially mellee effects where to much, i hate it when all these effects block most my view of the combat.

its clearly an open world they are designing, no mentioning of instances, and the open world will be multi layered, not phased, but  you might drop trough the floor and find new areas. But they must have realised that a single development cant provide enough content for an everchanging game and open environment. Thats why the success of the game mainly depends on the succes of the landmark tool, people need to develope the stuff needed, and the developers only should glue them together and add the stories and dynamics to it.

i think they are trying to take dynamic events and quests to the next level in developing a mostly dynamic world, with smart AI and everchanging content, they will take what GW2 tried and bring it 3 steps further, i just love what they are trying.  

The landmark game will be a very very much improved version of miningcraft, and i think players that like to build medieval stuff willbe amazed of what they can do,  what missed so far is interior decorating, and creating stuff that can be actually moved and used by players without destroying it.  But it will be awesome to build those buildings and even scenery.  I for one am going to try, it will be a good diversion from my mmo gaming habbits.

the developers however must be able to make the world feel alive by adding npc with great AI, that do things like gardening, cooking, wandering around, sleeping at night and more like that stuff. No word on how they will fix that, sure mobs will walk around more, but wil they be doing stuff?  We need to see.

last but not least, they did not even hint about making the world more challenging and lethal, i think however that they said that these kindsof details will be worked out in cooperatin with the playerbase.  So  i dont understand why people started whining about these things instead of taking up the glove and becomming an active part of the communty.  Needles to say, thats what i plan to do...

because there is time enough till release, as they did not een hint a release date, all they said is that the Landmark tooling will be available for free starting somewhere this winter.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Comments

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Don't think all skills are bound to weapons.

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158

Word from the newest panel and several press outlets is the game features an 8 slot hotbar.  4 for weapons and 4 for class skills.  You do not need a target to cast or use an ability and from the sounds of it, will play very similar to GW2.

What we don't know about the game is many and most of it is highly speculative.  What we do know about the game is it truly is a one of a kind endeavor and something so fundamentally different from the genre that it will change the course of other games I suspect.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Great writeup Lord Bachus.
    I dont share all your points with us much love tough, but you made a great write up.

What greatly disapoints me is the max 8 skill action bar :(
    This takes away so much stuff i looked forward to :(
    Its one of the main drawbacks why i find GW2 so boring after 1 hour of gameplay.
    Same with the bosses that are 100% going to be 1 big zerg fest instead of a hardcore skill based fight.

You may call me pessimistic or even negative, but some key features sure ass hel did made me extremely disapointed :(

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Originally posted by Redfeather75

Don't think all skills are bound to weapons.

Nobody knows, its still under development and they did not give enough information, i would not be surprised if this stuff was not entirely set in stone yet

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Mothanos

Great writeup Lord Bachus.
    I dont share all your points with us much love tough, but you made a great write up.

What greatly disapoints me is the max 8 skill action bar :(
    This takes away so much stuff i looked forward to :(
    Its one of the main drawbacks why i find GW2 so boring after 1 hour of gameplay.
    Same with the bosses that are 100% going to be 1 big zerg fest instead of a hardcore skill based fight.

You may call me pessimistic or even negative, but some key features sure ass hel did made me extremely disapointed :(

I agree with you, games with to few skills in general turn intoo mindlesly using the single best rotation with only 1 or 2 deviations in a build.

I am a firm beleiver in giving players more optiond at hand.  But then if they added 4 stances, with every stance switching all 8 skills in combat, then an 8 hotbutton system would certainly work.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Originally posted by Redfeather75 Don't think all skills are bound to weapons.
    Nobody knows, its still under development and they did not give enough information, i would not be surprised if this stuff was not entirely set in stone yet

People do know.

You have a limited hot bar consisting of skills based on your weapon which is different for each class and some skills based on your class.

So, very similar to Guild Wars 2.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    They're bound by the limitations of a PS4 controller. You will see a maximum of 8 buttons, I feel fairly certain of this.

In regards to more buttons meaning more difficulty, I vehemently disagree. Most of us are EQ1 vets where we were bound by a maximum of 8 spells. Some of the best games in history were single button platformers.

In regards to mindless zerging, that's yet to be seen. My hope is that the difficulty is high.
  • Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418

Graphics are cartoony, because thats the only way possible to make a timeless game. 

I call shenanigan's.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

Obviously they could not sattisfy all and everyone with the information they gave us so far...

Well, thats as expected, people where expecting so much different things, that it was impossible to sattisfy everyone from the go, and then there where so many things not even touched in the keynote and that made another group of players assuming all things not mentioned will not be in game...

the things i learned yesterday are as follows..

PvE is obviously the main focus of the game, which was to be expected from SOE, never expected anything else. But this does not mean there will not be any PvP, i am still expecting a full PvP continent, people will love building stuff with the landmark engine in those areas while others just love to destroy them. Its even clear to me that building your own stuff, weather it be housing or PvP stuff requires resources... Its obvious to me that PvP can still be great in this game.. The tools are there, and its up to the playerbase to push the developers in the right direction.  FFA or server wide PvE seems however not the focus of the game.

Of course PVE was always going to be the main focus of the game, EQ has always been about PVE. PVP on PVP servers was always going to be the way.

classes are more diverse then in any other game so far, 

This is not true. Sorry, as much as i love EQ this comment is just over hype getting the better of you, let's not go down the same over hype you did with GW2. Fact is ArcheAge has 120 class combinations and you can wear any armour and use any weapon.

Combat is flashy and allows you to destroy stuff, keep in mind tough that destroying a bridge will be temporary... We however do not know yet hoe actionbased the UI part will be, and how many skills one can equip, we do however know that the combat visuals will be very flashy, sadly even destructing most of the fight.. Tab targetting or fps style?  Who knows?  I dont. Do you? Trinnity or not? No answer yet.  

I can't see them not having the trinity, GW2 proved what a mess that can be.

Graphics are cartoony, because thats the only way possible to make a timeless game.  However their art style is up for discussion i personally really liked their environments and i also loved the females casters look and the emotes, i had more trouble with how the lionking looked and how the plated armor look felt like a WoW ripoff, nothing wrong with this, as long as they also offer more realistic armor looks. Annimations however where top knotch, with fluent movement in combat and a natural flow with the slides and so out of combat.  Spell effect and espescially mellee effects where to much, i hate it when all these effects block most my view of the combat.

its clearly an open world they are designing, no mentioning of instances, and the open world will be multi layered, not phased, but  you might drop trough the floor and find new areas. But they must have realised that a single development cant provide enough content for an everchanging game and open environment. Thats why the success of the game mainly depends on the succes of the landmark tool, people need to develope the stuff needed, and the developers only should glue them together and add the stories and dynamics to it.

i think they are trying to take dynamic events and quests to the next level in developing a mostly dynamic world, with smart AI and everchanging content, they will take what GW2 tried and bring it 3 steps further, i just love what they are trying.  

The landmark game will be a very very much improved version of miningcraft, and i think players that like to build medieval stuff willbe amazed of what they can do,  what missed so far is interior decorating, and creating stuff that can be actually moved and used by players without destroying it.  But it will be awesome to build those buildings and even scenery.  I for one am going to try, it will be a good diversion from my mmo gaming habbits.

Wurm Online beat them to it, total terraforming, minecraft on steroids.

the developers however must be able to make the world feel alive by adding npc with great AI, that do things like gardening, cooking, wandering around, sleeping at night and more like that stuff. No word on how they will fix that, sure mobs will walk around more, but wil they be doing stuff?  We need to see.

More to come.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Wurm online you can find underground dungeons in that game too ? I did not know that since I never played it.
    Chamber of Chains
    Originally posted by Sajman01
    They're bound by the limitations of a PS4 controller. You will see a maximum of 8 buttons, I feel fairly certain of this.

In regards to more buttons meaning more difficulty, I vehemently disagree. Most of us are EQ1 vets where we were bound by a maximum of 8 spells. Some of the best games in history were single button platformers.

In regards to mindless zerging, that's yet to be seen. My hope is that the difficulty is high.

Well... how about making a button free on the Ps4 controller that allows people to rotate between their stances... and switch weapons and skills accordingly...

having an 8 button hotbar, does not mean you have to limit the game to 8 skills.  just think out of the box.

All i found is that they said there would be a 8 button hotbar, very PS4 friendly indeed.. that does not mean you cant switch hotbars in real time.

Actually i really like minimalistic interfaces..so an 8 button hot bar is very nice, but only having 8 skills and not being able to change to more skills is a no go for me and the type of depth i prefer in my gameplay

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Aye it also doesnt have to be a 40 useless skills to use skills actionbar !!!
    But defensive / offensive / buff / special skillbar with around 20 skills would be at least more mmo like then only 8 skills.

Maybe there are more (layers) but it dint sound that way :(

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,915
    They picked the right person to do the presentation Georgeson with his winning smile and amiable expression was a very effective for me anyway. I loved what they are showing and even if it has been done in other games the way they are putting it together is definitely innovative.

• Aldous.HuxleyAldous.Huxley Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 418
    Originally posted by kitarad
    They picked the right person to do the presentation Georgeson with his winning smile and amiable expression was a very effective for me anyway. I loved what they are showing and even if it has been done in other games the way they are putting it together is definitely innovative.

I kind of felt embarrassed for his overconfident demeanor up front. He even had to prod & queue a bit for applause with head nods & grunts at times. Not a disaster presentation, but far from a success in my eyes.

I guess if you were one of the people who had their minds blown, the pomposity would seem reasonable enough.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

Of course PVE was always going to be the main focus of the game, EQ has always been about PVE. PVP on PVP servers was always going to be the way.

They did not say anything about PvP. But i don't see a problem at it. They have just presented the Tools mostly. And i really like the toolset.

But in all honestly. With building stuff up and with destroyign stuff(which is just another way of pvp) you have the very problem in its very core. They have to balance things somewhat.. Maybe they will go the route of different rulesets servers. This all remains to be seen. Because make everything build invulnerable is most probably the worst way to do it.. because it would become very static. But to easily destroy everything isn't a good way either.. they have to find a happy middleground.

But really with that set of Tools almost everything is possible.

classes are more diverse then in any other game so far, 

This is not true. Sorry, as much as i love EQ this comment is just over hype getting the better of you, let's not go down the same over hype you did with GW2. Fact is ArcheAge has 120 class combinations and you can wear any armour and use any weapon.

As much as i have understand, and i imagine it. It is actually very open, and basicly like a open skill system. They have said there are around 40 classes available(as i remember correctly). And you can mix them up. Maybe you can really mix all 40 classes up together. Nothing has been said how many you can mix, where are the boundaries, or caps. Of all we know at the moment it can have a lot more combinations in comparsion to ArcheAge. In ArcheAge you do have 10 basic pathes... and that is clearly less than 40 classes to mix from. But maybe you can just mix at max 2 classes together or 3(like in Archeage).. That remains to be seen.

I can't see them not having the trinity, GW2 proved what a mess that can be.

In the article from MMORPG.com they have said it will have trinity and different roles.

More to come.

My comments in green.

I really like what i have seen up to now. They more or less just presented Tools and a few basics of EQN. But it is everything there to build a hell of a sandbox. I am really looking forward now. From sceptic to enthusiast. I didn't expect that.

• Redfeather75Redfeather75 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Originally posted by Sajman01 They're bound by the limitations of a PS4 controller. You will see a maximum of 8 buttons, I feel fairly certain of this. In regards to more buttons meaning more difficulty, I vehemently disagree. Most of us are EQ1 vets where we were bound by a maximum of 8 spells. Some of the best games in history were single button platformers. In regards to mindless zerging, that's yet to be seen. My hope is that the difficulty is high.

Well... how about making a button free on the Ps4 controller that allows people to rotate between their stances... and switch weapons and skills accordingly...

having an 8 button hotbar, does not mean you have to limit the game to 8 skills.  just think out of the box.

All i found is that they said there would be a 8 button hotbar, very PS4 friendly indeed.. that does not mean you cant switch hotbars in real time.

Actually i really like minimalistic interfaces..so an 8 button hot bar is very nice, but only having 8 skills and not being able to change to more skills is a no go for me and the type of depth i prefer in my gameplay

I wouldn't worry. GW2 has a 10 slot skillbar and you can't swap skills during a fight. An elementalist can't weapon swap during a fight either, but here is what an elementalist can get with only 10 slots if they really want tons of skills within a fight.

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?fEAQFAWhImob6RAxjAA

That's 41 skills available during a fight.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Sajman01

And about class/skill customizability. Yeap. Skills may be bound by weapon. And you may just have 2 weapons available in one fight. But as long as you can switch weapons after it, and/or can customize the skills for your weapon available you will have really all options you want. And if you can mix up all 40 classes you can customize your character extremely.

Of course.. we don't know the details.. almost everything is speculation at this point.

• aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    Originally posted by Aldous.Huxley

Graphics are cartoony, because thats the only way possible to make a timeless game. 

I call shenanigan's.

when you do will you order me a burger and a coke?

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

I expect no pvp at this point, whereas prior to the reveal I thought it would play a major role.

The gameplay they intend for EQN is a massive undertaking, and they seem to have tunnel vision in regard to the system as a whole to accommodate it.  I don't think they have a clue how to implement PvP at this point without detracting from their world rallying, cooperative design they are focusing on.  It would only play against it, as much as I love pvp and wanted EQ Next to be more pvp-centric.

Not to say I'm counting out a PvP server, but I can see it really complicating the process of players working together to overcome the greater evil as well as the massive faction and alignment system incorporated into everything.

Originally posted by Dullahan

I expect no pvp at this point, whereas prior to the reveal I thought it would play a major role.

The gameplay they intend for EQN is a massive undertaking, and they seem to have tunnel vision in regard to the system as a whole to accommodate it.  I don't think they have a clue how to implement PvP at this point without detracting from their world rallying, cooperative design they are focusing on.  It would only play against it, as much as I love pvp and wanted EQ Next to be more pvp-centric.

Not to say I'm counting out a PvP server, but I can see it really complicating the process of players working together to overcome the greater evil as well as the massive faction and alignment system incorporated into everything.

You are jumping to conclusions...

No word about PvP does not mean that it will not be part of the game...  its just not the core focus.  

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90

I am disappointed they made EQN into an action game.  Combat reminds me of Diablo.  I am also not a huge fan of weapons determining 4 of 8 skills.  EQ had 8 slots for a long time but players could decide what 8 to use at any given time.  Just seems very limited.  I am also not a fan at all about mixed classes.  When I decide that I want to play a Wizardy type or a Monk type or Warrior type character, that's what I want to do.  The way they described learning new skills sounds so random.  Starting out as a Wizard, I may learn 7 melee based skills before I learn another Wizard like skill, making my character nothing like what I want. 

Ok, enough negativity, the things I do like are the Emergent AI, the Rally Calls, the importance Crafting will have (they didn't go into a lot of specific details but sounded like crafters will have a big part to play in the building and maintenance of cities and weapon creation.), and of coarse the EQN Landmark. 

• KezzadrixKezzadrix Member Posts: 90

No word about PvP does not mean that it will not be part of the game...  its just not the core focus.  

There was no specific information about PvP discussed in detail but it was mentioned and will be in game.  At 48:30 of the EQN reveal keynote Dave Georgeson says when speaking of destructability "You can imagine a player vs player scenario where one side is protecting a castle and the other side has catapults and they're destroying the keep and trying to get into the courtyard.." he then moved on to a PvE scenario but it will have PvP.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    <snip>

last but not least, they did not even hint about making the world more challenging and lethal, i think however that they said that these kindsof details will be worked out in cooperatin with the playerbase.  So  i dont understand why people started whining about these things instead of taking up the glove and becomming an active part of the communty.  Needles to say, thats what i plan to do...

because there is time enough till release, as they did not een hint a release date, all they said is that the Landmark tooling will be available for free starting somewhere this winter.

You made a very important point here that a lot of people are over-looking.

There is going to be an active dialogue between the EQN team and the players until (and after) release.  Voice your opinion of the forums!  Take part in the polls!  They want us to be part of the process.

So, absolutely yes, I will be an active part of that community as well. 

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001

I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions without having enough information yet.  We've only gone through one presentation so far, and it was a very shallow intro compared to the pool of content that has yet to be revealed.  Even if the topic they want covered isn't talked about in the next two days, there will be many ways and opportunities in the coming months to fill in the gaps.

The EQ games have always had at least one PvP server.  I wouldn't discount them neglecting that aspect of the community.

Originally posted by Kezzadrix

There was no specific information about PvP discussed in detail but it was mentioned and will be in game.  At 48:30 of the EQN reveal keynote Dave Georgeson says when speaking of destructability "You can imagine a player vs player scenario where one side is protecting a castle and the other side has catapults and they're destroying the keep and trying to get into the courtyard.." he then moved on to a PvE scenario but it will have PvP.

Thanks mate, i surely did miss that.. But now i remember it again..

In the end the system is way to good to not have PvP, as Dave describes here perfectly well.