Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

"I would not call this game a hardcore MMO." - per Terry Michaels

Comments

• DSWBeefDSWBeef Member UncommonPosts: 789
    Originally posted by Fratman
    Originally posted by DSWBeef
    Originally posted by Biskop

QFT. 10+. I use to be in a Server First guild back during BC and Early WOTLK. We raided 7 hours a day for nearly 5-6 days. That is what most people define as hardcore. And I cant do it anymore, its not fun to smash your head against something over and over again. God forbid they make a game where someone can come in and play for a couple hours and still feel like they accomplished something. IM extremely looking forward to EQN as it has everything ive been asking for.

There are plenty of mmos out right now that try and cater to people like you who claim to be so busy they can only play for 1 or 2 hours every few days. You're probably not playing any of them because they all suck.

World of tanks, defiance, rift, war thunder, guild wars 2. If you want hardcore go play eve or darkfall.

Playing: FFXIV, DnL, and World of Warships
    Waiting on: Ashes of Creation

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005
    Originally posted by Fratman

QFT. 10+. I use to be in a Server First guild back during BC and Early WOTLK. We raided 7 hours a day for nearly 5-6 days. That is what most people define as hardcore. And I cant do it anymore, its not fun to smash your head against something over and over again. God forbid they make a game where someone can come in and play for a couple hours and still feel like they accomplished something. IM extremely looking forward to EQN as it has everything ive been asking for.

There are plenty of mmos out right now that try and cater to people like you who claim to be so busy they can only play for 1 or 2 hours every few days. You're probably not playing any of them because they all suck.

There are plenty of hardcore games out there for you, Darkfall Unholy Wars, EVE Online just to name two, why arent you playing them? Those games are pretty hardcore you dont need any more.

* I really can enjoy both types of games it just annoys me that some entitled people think the world owes them something somehow 

Originally posted by seacow1g

Yeah, shame on SOE for wanting a commercially viable product! After all, they do have a responsibility to provide "hardcore" nolifers with the game of their dreams.

You know, a game can be "hardcore" (meaning complex, difficult, and rewarding time investment) and yet accesible. For example, the core game mechanics and basic features can be simple and intuitive while high-end content is hard and demanding. A player can then chose which level of difficulty he/she wants to engage.

But I guess some people still think "hardcore" = long grind + harsh death penalties + tedious mechanics that anyone with a life and a job will shun, and if a game does not abide by those 1999 design standards it is to be considered a kid's game and a WoW clone.

Thanks for being one of the aforementioned millions of lemmings that WoW brought into the MMO genre. You think YOU have it hard? Pretty much every MMO out there is super easy. Yes WoW has hardmode raids that require a significant time commitment to beat but what about the rest of the game? It's a faceroll. Everyone gets to see everything and gets to try everything even if they play for like an hour a day 2-3 times a week. They may not beat the hardmode raids but they get to do pretty much everything else the game has to offer. Designing the game for everyone to see everything was one of the worst decisions WoW made and that's when it went too far imo. Fun, easy to understand with an interface that works well and makes sense can still go in a hard game (and should!).

I repeat.....you think YOU have it hard? Every AAA MMO out there for the past 7-8 years is being made for people like you. Where's the love for the hardcore crowd? You know, the kind of people that this genre was BUILT on? (And i'm not saying the only hardcore players are old-school, there's younger hardcore players too but i'm just talking about a "type").

Im sorry that I was only 7 when EQ and UO were huge. Yes Wow was my first mmo. That doesnt make me a "lemming" or a bad person. Its your opinion that raiding hard modes isnt hard. While In my opinion it is. And you hardcore gamers had plenty of chanced. Mortal online, Darkfall, and eve. Two of which are flourishing. And plese dont think I need an mmo to be easy. I never said that. YOu are assuming things. I believe someone who plays only a few hours a day should be able to achieve something and feel accomplished just as someone who no lifes into a game. And please dont insult me, makes you look like an ass.

This happens with every mmo thats announced. Eve, MO, and DF had all the "Carebears" in an uproar while Aion, WAR, TSW, RIFT, ect ect. Had all the No lifers in a uproar. Honestly hes stating a opinion. In HIS opinion its no hardcore. What does hardcore mean for him? We dont know. SO please atleast try the game (which all of you are going to anyways) before spouting such garbage.

• seacow1gseacow1g Member UncommonPosts: 266

World of tanks, defiance, rift, war thunder, guild wars 2. If you want hardcore go play eve or darkfall.

Eve is Sci-fi and spaceships and I'm not into that and Darkfall is a buggy mess and a farcry from AAA. How about you name a hardcore MMO that has knights and magic and castles and stuff that is also polished?

And I actually said that hardmode WoW raids are actually quite hard. I know cause in up through Cata i was in a server first guild too. But the rest of the game is easy and let me tell you when WoTLK hit my raiding struggles felt worthless because everyone saw that content I raided in and whenever a new raid was released an easymode dungeon was also released that brought people up to speed and made the previous raid obsolete. If you like that then I don't like you. I don't think you are a bad person but nevertheless you share the opinions of millions of players that ruin the MMO genre not only for the hardcore players but unknowingly even for themselves. I was a farcry from hardcore in Vanilla WoW yet that period was the most fun I ever had in that game... Funny how the easier they made them overall game the worse my experience got (despite being able to accomplish more with less time and effort)

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Raven
    Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

"I would not call this game a hardcore MMO. We want something that is accessible to a larger number of people"

They should have said they were making a children's MMO right off the bat.

lol, I've said this from the beginning; they want/need to cater to as large a group as possible. For some reason players made up their own little story.

Oh, I'm sure there is going to be a lot to this game but some players like to hone in on specific words that these devs say and then imbut them with their own definitions/meaning.

Just wait until the pvp info starts rolling in.

Or its people who hope that for once,a company will release something truly different and more their style.Then having that hope continuously stomped on because companies keep catering to the population of lemmings introduced by WoW.

What if, I mean this could blow your mind, but imagine if there were other people, that aren't you, that actually want to play EQN as they announced it? I mean its crazy right! Haaa forget it they must be "lemmings".

lemmings are people too.

Poor Jorge,someone get him a burrito..

As I said those "other people" as you state,have been catered to for over a decade.People want something different now.

stop being a spoiled brat and share.

Eve is Sci-fi and spaceships and I'm not into that and Darkfall is a buggy mess and a farcry from AAA. How about you name a hardcore MMO that has knights and magic and castles and stuff that is also polished?

Im my opinion Darkfall is polished. Dont blame me because devs dont make games up to your standards. Go to school make a studio and create a game yourself.

So what makes you think that SOE making this mythical hardcore game you want, will make it polished? Or blizzard or any other company? Do you just want to see companies pumping out more Darkfall and Mortal Online clones? Because no one is going to invest 400million dollars into a Darkfall clone so you and the 50k other guys can see better animations with the old "hardcore" package.

• DrakephireDrakephire Member UncommonPosts: 451

Darkfall is the way it is because that is the sort of game that can be made from the revenue generated by the limited hardcore audience.  Your niche is not going to find anyone willing to pony up $100 million in development costs. It's that simple.

Originally posted by Jean-Luc_Picard

QFT. 10+. I use to be in a Server First guild back during BC and Early WOTLK. We raided 7 hours a day for nearly 5-6 days. That is what most people define as hardcore.

No offense meant, but that's "bad hardcore"... very bad.

During the same time, we were raiding 3 days a week for 3.5 hours a night (8:30 to midnight) and we were also server first.

7 hours a day 5+ days a week? What the hell were you guys doing, you were AFK half the time?

(sorry if this sounds harsh, but what he says really sounds weird to me from having been there,done that).

Doing all of Bt, sunwell, Hyjal then taking alts through kara, gruuls, MAgs, ect ect. A type of hardcore being bad? Thats a new one...

EDIT

As I said earlier I was SEVEN during UO and DF i was playing Spyro and Crash Bandicoot. SO yes Hardcore raiding in wow has been my only "hardcore" experience. Everyone always blames the "lemmings" for the current mmos. Its not the lemmings its the companies who make mmos. Remember SOE is part of Sony a CORPORATION. Who wants to make money. Not some small indie dev who just wants to make a game.

QFT. 10+. I use to be in a Server First guild back during BC and Early WOTLK. We raided 7 hours a day for nearly 5-6 days. That is what most people define as hardcore.

During the same time, we were raiding 3 days a week for 3.5 hours a night (8:30 to midnight) and we were also server first.

7 hours a day 5+ days a week? What the hell were you guys doing, you were AFK half the time?

(sorry if this sounds harsh, but what he says really sounds weird to me from having been there,done that).

Doing all of Bt, sunwell, Hyjal then taking alts through kara, gruuls, MAgs, ect ect. A type of hardcore being bad? Thats a new one...

I was just meaning, if you need 7 hours a day for 5 days a week to be server first, then you're not very good, and hardcore only means "I'm able to spend 7 hours a day playing a video game", and not "I'm skilled at a video game".

I may have exaggerated a bit. 6-7 hours if doing hardmodes as such in ulduar or something. BUt it was generally 4-5 hours depending on raid, and if we were doing hardmodes or alt runs after.  And its your opinion that we were bad. I guess being server first is bad.

Never said I was skilled. And I agree that kind of hardcore is very tedious. Thats why I got away from it.

Originally posted by Drakephire

Darkfall is the way it is because that is the sort of game that can be made from the revenue generated by the limited hardcore audience.  Your niche is not going to find anyone willing to pony up $100 million in development costs. It's that simple.

Darkfall doesn't have a low population because it's hard. It has a low population because it's not a polished game. The hardcore playerbase is much larger than you think and we've been getting the shaft for almost a decade now...not because they can't make a profit off of us but because the "potential profit" (which is not even achievable in this saturated MMO market) of an MMO that attracts and maintains everyone is far more enticing.

Originally posted by Drakephire

Darkfall doesn't have a low population because it's hard. It has a low population because it's not a polished game. The hardcore playerbase is much larger than you think and we've been getting the shaft for almost a decade now...not because they can't make a profit off of us but because the "potential profit" (which is not even achievable in this saturated MMO market) of an MMO that attracts and maintains everyone is far more enticing.

Is it larger then the crowd that has parents, students, and people who work alot? HELL NO. If a company wants to make money who are they gonna market towards? 

Im done, arguing with carebears or hardcore no lifers is exactly the same. You have tunnel vision and dont see reason. Not worth my time. As I said earlier. DOnt like the current state of mmos? Get some money, go to school, open a studio, and make one yourself.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by General-Zod
    Originally posted by Sovrath
    Originally posted by CalmOceans

"I would not call this game a hardcore MMO. We want something that is accessible to a larger number of people"

They should have said they were making a children's MMO right off the bat.

lol, I've said this from the beginning; they want/need to cater to as large a group as possible. For some reason players made up their own little story.

Oh, I'm sure there is going to be a lot to this game but some players like to hone in on specific words that these devs say and then imbut them with their own definitions/meaning.

Just wait until the pvp info starts rolling in.

Come on Sovrath...

Granted you were right from the start, however the whole "wait until the pvp info comes in" is a cop out.

We both know all PvP looks good on paper .. hence GW2

What I mean is, some players have this idea that because it's an open world and a sandbox it's going to have ffa pvp. And I just don't believe that's going to happen. And players are going to be angry.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 

Sorry but he is right, you dont need 7h a day to do that content server first, my guild was contesting server firsts with an alliance guild from vanilla to end of TBC and we never did more than 3.5h a day with a max of 5 days a week if we were really trying to push progression, who the hell cares about alts?

Sorry but he is right, you dont need 7h a day to do that content server first, my guild was contesting server firsts with an alliance guild from vanilla to end of TBC and we never did more than 3.5h a day with a max of 5 days a week if we were really trying to push progression, who the hell cares about alts?

People who like to play something different from time to time? MIND BOGLING.

People who like to play something different from time to time? MIND BOGLING.

Doesnt make them more hardcore, I dont remember the last time a guild got world first for more alts ran through the same content. As Picard said because you can spend all day sitting in front of a computer playing a game it doesnt make you hardcore. 

• Detroit1103Detroit1103 Member Posts: 7

There is a big difference between a massive time-sink and difficult. 

Content that was difficult: AQ40, Naxx, Sunwell, Rathe Council, Vulak's ring event, Vyemm, Veeshan's Peak pre-retarded EQ with corpse runs, a couple GoD fights.

Content that is time consuming and annoying but people think is hard: AA grinds, leveling grinds, reputation grinds, getting a job irl.

Is it larger then the crowd that has parents, students, and people who work alot? HELL NO. If a company wants to make money who are they gonna market towards? 

No it's not, but guess what? EVERYONE is marketing towards them. They got a lot to choose from so I don't feel sorry for them. They don't need a new game. They say they want more "easy" games with cool features and when they get it they still get bored of it and quit in less than a year and move onto the next game that's being made to draw their attention. What do us hardcore players get to do? We have 4 choices: Go back and play old games, Suck it up and play the new ones even though they suck, Play something unpolished or not themed like we'd like or Just don't play MMO's at all. Frankly I haven't touched an MMO in over a year because I'm so jaded by where this industry has gone. I play MOBA's  or games like Dark Souls instead cause at least there I can feel rewarded for my skill and hard work.

No it's not, but guess what? EVERYONE is marketing towards them. They got a lot to choose from so I don't feel sorry for them. They don't need a new game. They say they want more "easy" games with cool features and when they get it they still get bored of it and quit in less than a year and move onto the next game that's being made to draw their attention. What do us hardcore players get to do? We have 4 choices: Go back and play old games, Suck it up and play the new ones even though they suck, Play something unpolished or not themed like we'd like or Just don't play MMO's at all. Frankly I haven't touched an MMO in over a year because I'm so jaded by where this industry has gone. I play MOBA's  or games like Dark Souls instead cause at least there I can feel rewarded for my skill and hard work.

---- You should probably put that dedication into something that will actually give you something back other than pixels and achievement points, honestly.

I see where you are going, thats how the games industry works tho, you dont get to pick what games get made unfortunately, unless you are in the board in one of these massive companies with millions to pump into the products you want and you manage to convince your shareholders thats where you should be spending money on, or you make your own company and you produce the sort of low budget stuff like darkfall and mortal online.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Detroit1103
    ---- You should probably put that dedication into something that will actually give you something back other than pixels and achievement points, honestly.

I like how you make broad assumptions that he hasn't done anything that nets a return in life. Are you a child molester that likes to role-play as someone under the tag of Raven? No? Oh, sorry, I was making an assumption.

lol god that Kerran looks awful..

I just cant get over it.

I see where you are going, thats how the games industry works tho, you dont get to pick what games get made unfortunately, unless you are in the board in one of these massive companies with millions to pump into the products you want and you manage to convince your shareholders thats where you should be spending money on, or you make your own company and you produce the sort of low budget stuff like darkfall and mortal online.

I'm a pharmacist irl. I've put plenty of time and effort to get where I am all while playing MMO's along the way. I'm already comfortable with where i've gotten in life socially and economically. I do my job and take good care of my patients. I just wish my favorite hobby wasn't going to shit.....correction; I just wish it hadn't ALREADY gone to shit and had no signs of getting better in the near future.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

I like how you make broad assumptions that he hasn't done anything that nets a return in life. Are you a child molester that likes to role-play as someone under the tag of Raven? No? Oh, sorry, I was making an assumption.

LMAO.... please stop, my sides are killing me

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

Dat is one funny pic :)

I won't lie ... if someone showed me these screenshots and vids and told me it was GW2 I would likely have believed them.

You stay sassy!

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I'm a pharmacist irl. I've put plenty of time and effort to get where I am all while playing MMO's along the way. I'm already comfortable with where i've gotten in life socially and economically. I do my job and take good care of my patients. I just wish my favorite hobby wasn't going to shit.....correction; I just wish it hadn't ALREADY gone to shit and had no signs of getting better in the near future.

I can sympathize with that...the genre hasn't been going in directions I like either in the last half decade or so.However I don't know if it's going to shit just that I am no longer the target audience.I used to spend the majority of my free time in MMORPGs now I'm not playing any and have no regrets doing so plenty of other genres and other hobbies to occupy and entertain me.

I just keep in touch with the genre here biding my time till an MMORPG comes out that I do like.Maybe that will be EQnNmaybe not.

I didnt make any assumptions and i didnt mean it as offensive at all i just dont understand how people can quantify their enjoyment of the game in terms of hard work, i played many hours of games and have made certain achievements that i look back and consider them to have been hard work but i didnt do it cause they were hard work it was because they were fun first and foremost whether it was hard work or not is a side effect that came with it not the prerequesite for it to be fun.

If hard work is what you are looking for then ANY game will offer something that is hard work whether its aimed at casuals or not. Im sure you can find something that is hard work in hello kitty online. That was the message i meant to convey with my comment.