Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For anyone who's upset with the art direction have you considered?

Comments

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Daaken

Maybe I'm biased but I don't look at the game as being cartoony as people are making it out to be.  I'd never play Wildstar because that is cartoony art style to me, EQN not so much.  Maybe it's because the rest of the world is not cartoony and realistic (as opposed to Wildstar being cartoony all around).  Maybe because I played WoW for over 6 years and didn't mind the art direction there.  Or maybe because to me gameplay is more important.

Listen I know people may be upset with the art direction, but for Pete's sake give the game a chance because we haven't seen this element of world building, NPC A.I. and Open World exploration with this many layers ever. 

EQN is looking more and more like perennial PvE sandbox MMO many of us have been wanting for a very long time.

I'm tired of that old argument.  If graphics really didn't mean a damn, then we'd be better off playing more complex and imaginative text based MMOs.

Like I said I can't explain it:

• Wildstar, looks horrible to me will not play it because of it's cartoony graphics.
    • EQN , I'll play it because everything else about the game looks and sounds amazing.  Would of I have liked to seen a different art style?  Sure but it isn't that bad or as un-immersive to me.
    So in conclusion it's got to be the gameplay, because I've played and loved some really terrible graphically outdated games and enjoyed them.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    Originally posted by iamjason1989

Imagine Withcer 2 or Deus Ex with Disney like graphic but with the same core game mechanic and story, do people really think it won't change the immersion or the experience of the game at all?

True about that.  My biggest beef isn't stylized graphics, because afterall I thought WoW's characters were fine because they actually FIT in the warcraft universe.  I never once had an issue with WoW's character models.  But what we've seen today?  They just don't fit Everquest universe, not even slightly.  Why bother calling it Everquest Next?  Call it Next or something, take Everquest out because it's not EQ.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• emperorhades1emperorhades1 Member UncommonPosts: 310
    This is an extremely sad day for mmo's.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Gardavsshade
    Not all the races of Wildstar are "cartoony" either, yet I feel Wildstar as a whole is disagreeable to me because of the graphics style.Just like I disliked World of Warcraft. Tried it several times, each time I quit because of the graphics style. I want, I prefer, a more realistic graphics style. That is not evil. That is not immature. That is just personal preference.If you like the graphics style of EQNext... then cool. Enjoy.

that is how i feel but i will put up with it if the game is fun. i will give it a chance because it is EQ and seems to be different.

its F2P after all, if i don't like it, no harm done.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Mardy
    Originally posted by arieste

I've considered.  And this is what i've come up with:

^ Nice!  Kerra really put me off looking like lion king.  I would've loved it if it looks either close to EQ2 kerra or EQ1 vah shir.

Their new interpretation is just so off, it really does kill it a bit for me.

Welcome to Kerra Isle

• VooDoo_PapaVooDoo_Papa Member UncommonPosts: 897

the models of the old Kerra were really nice. However, their animations were pretty terrible. Actually, I cant say terrible. They were the same as the iksar, the human, the troll, the barbarian.

This time it looks like theyve spent some time with character animations, and to me that brings a character to life with personality much more than its graphic rendering. I also dont see any issue with the models. It more closely represents their concept and promotional art throughout the generations.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Welcome to Kerra Isle

See you guys...

It's NOT Disney...

it's Dreamworks too!

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

HAs anyone stopped to think that they might listen to this feedback and perhaps, just like EQ2, they'll offer us the ability to choose different character styles?

In EQ2 when they had the asian release they had a more "anime" style to the characters. Later on they allowed the US players to choose between the two styles, if you wanted you could play with the normal models or the asian models.

So maybe because of all of these people giving feedback on the character art styles (not just here but other forums I visit there's a lot of people upset about the "cartoony" style of the characters) so maybe, just maybe, they'll make both a cartoony "stylized" version of the player characters, and then make a more "realistic" style and allow people to choose which they'd prefer?

• fs23otmfs23otm Member RarePosts: 506
    Originally posted by DMKano

The art direction is clear  it's this:

What many hoped for was this:

I like the former much better then the later.... because the later looks so dead and boring. The worlds of cartoon always feel more alive.

Originally posted by Stiler

HAs anyone stopped to think that they might listen to this feedback and perhaps, just like EQ2, they'll offer us the ability to choose different character styles?

In EQ2 when they had the asian release they had a more "anime" style to the characters. Later on they allowed the US players to choose between the two styles, if you wanted you could play with the normal models or the asian models.

So maybe because of all of these people giving feedback on the character art styles (not just here but other forums I visit there's a lot of people upset about the "cartoony" style of the characters) so maybe, just maybe, they'll make both a cartoony "stylized" version of the player characters, and then make a more "realistic" style and allow people to choose which they'd prefer?

The "easternization" of EQ II didn't help them much at all, EQ II "Oriental version" was shut down fairly soon after they released it in Taiwan and China.

Btw, here's are some of characters models in the eastern version of EQ II.

These are so much better then realistic graphics....

Originally posted by fs23otm

The art direction is clear  it's this:

What many hoped for was this:

I like the former much better then the later.... because the later looks so dead and boring. The worlds of cartoon always feel more alive.

Do you find Deus Ex, Witcher 2 or Max Payne looks dead and boring?

but i get your point, we can always agree to disagree.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309
    Originally posted by Stiler

They thought ahead on this one.  They made the elven models for the asian market and the rest for the WoW players.  So two biggest markets covered.  And they called it "Everquest" to catch the rest.  It's quite brilliant marketing.  

I just don't really want to play an 8-button version of Disney's Tangled.    Between the 8-button combat, the terrible character models and the lack of stats in-game, my interest has gone to nearly zero.  On the bright side, they've already announced two EQ2 expacs coming within the next year or so, do i'll just focus on that.  

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

Do you find Deus Ex, Witcher 2 or Max Payne looks dead and boring?

but i get your point, we can always agree to disagree.

Actually I do.... but you are quoting single player games who have a bit more room to create a living world.... since they only have to really worry about your character.

There will always be two sides to this coin...

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Daaken
    If you think the characters are too cartoony or the art direction is too "Disney" have you considered they only showed 2 working models of animated characters?  Both of which are routinely considered the frilly or pretty type of races.  We still haven't seen a live video reference for Dark Elves, Shadow Knight armor, Ogres, Male Humans, and Dwarves.

Yes I have, and I have also considered that these humans could be foppish nobles and that you might be able to customize yourself at least somewhat more gritty.

Another possibility is that they make the good races look "cute" while the evil looks "nasty".

But no matter what I am not really happy with what I seen so far about the art.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I don't need to see anything else to know the characters are too disney and cartoony for my tastes.  I'll deal with it, but I would have much preferred they went with something else.
  • DullahanDullahan Member EpicPosts: 4,536

Yes, disney is a good way to describe it.  Human female was super cute.  Couldn't care less, if they didn't take the lion king and put him in a tauren body.  Despicable.

• Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84

SOE probably thought cartoony graphics would lessen the sandbox hardcore vibe and bring new players to the genre while the usual MMO gamers wouldn't mind and play it anyway.

The only thing that it did to me was to raise my "demand bar". This game better be VERY GOOD for me to put up with playing Disney characters.

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361

The Firiona now:

The Firiona to be expected:

The Proposed Firiona :

The Firiona we are given:

The Firiona the will be seen in game :

It is a sad day.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Yep.

This is the Firiona we are given:

• GiffenGiffen Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Originally posted by Nadili
    It looks like decisions were made to focus on environment and having the ability for emotes to really be expressive.  That's my take anyways.

It looks to me like the character models were drawn to appeal to a female (preteen) audience.  The lack of realism in the art and combat is astonishing.

Originally posted by superconducting

Yep.

This is the Firiona we are given:

Dammmn! Even Barbie has been brainwashed by Disney/Dreamworks/whatever and starting to look so... mainstream! The nerve!

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

Originally posted by Giffen
    Originally posted by Nadili
    It looks like decisions were made to focus on environment and having the ability for emotes to really be expressive.  That's my take anyways.

It looks to me like the character models were drawn to appeal to a female (preteen) audience.  The lack of realism in the art and combat is astonishing.

Its going to be a casual game, 8 skills (to match 8 controller buttons) - 4 weapon skills and 4 class skills.

Lead designer saying he doesn't consider it a hardcore MMORPG.

The writing is on the wall.

To stick to the topic, even casual MMORPG can have realism graphic. Why does SOE wants to go with such Bratz doll graphics?

Unfortunately, this type of graphic are the ones that sells in the mainstream MMORPGs, now.

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466
    Originally posted by LacedOpium
    Originally posted by DMKanoWhat many hoped for was this:

I would have no doubt preferred this, but I will nevertheless enjoy what they are giving us.

The ironic thing is that screen is from an Asian game developed in Asia.

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919

This is art from EQOA and we saw the art on the Dark Elves and Orcs and High Elves on EQNext . I think these look catoony no ?