Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll]Are you happy with Everquest Next?

1234568»

Comments

• Blazer6992Blazer6992 Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by thedood123

I think for me its a situation where, if its for consoles and free I would try it... but ESO is back on my radar.

My thoughts exactly. It took EQN off the board for me and put TESO back on it.

• AlleinAllein Member RarePosts: 2,139
    Originally posted by buckeye
    The cartoony graphics need to go. We want nitty, gritty realism.  Wake up SOE-your target market is adult gamers, not 6 year olds.

Can you tell them what I want for breakfast too?

Nitty gritty realism != EQ. Never has, never will. From the concept art from 2010 to the leaked model video to the recent art piece, no where did they hint that EQN would be what so many on here seem to want.

Glad I'm not stuck in a one track mindset.

• page975page975 Member Posts: 312
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

Just give us an updated EQ already !! ~~

-no cartoony graphics

-forced grouping

-no gimmicks

-no minecraft

Call it.......EQ3.........hah

+1

An updated EQ would have been a WoW killer !

One more thing :

- No cash shop

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    I was extremely disappointed. This is not the sandbox we were promised, it's a mere evolution of Guild Wars 2. There is nothing revolutionary at all, except maybe the AI, but MMORPGs are about players first and foremost and nothing indicates that we'll have the freedom of interacting with each other. That's what made UO, SWG and EVE great.

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

You know what was missing in the EQN debut?..  Starting cities..  Anyone else noticed and wonder why we didn't see any screenshots, video or mention of the racial starting cities?  I guess the game is so new, they didn't even have "Main Street" designed yet..

EDIT:  Where are the Barbarians? Halfings? Gnomes and Troll races?  /sad

• VortigonVortigon Member UncommonPosts: 723

Shattered Dreams.

Another 10 year wait for a real MMO I guess.....

This is not EQ - this is GW2/WOW - SOE are idiots

• XAleX360XAleX360 Member UncommonPosts: 516
    Originally posted by Vortigon

Shattered Dreams.

Another 10 year wait for a real MMO I guess.....

This is not EQ - this is GW2/WOW - SOE are idiots

Unfortunately, I have to agree: this is basically GW2.5. And if they think Blizzard can't top them with Titan at a game like this, then they are naive. 

Executive Editor (Games) http://www.wccftech.com

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

SOE far exceeded my expectations with EQNext !

It truly is a game-changer. No wonder Blizz sent Titan back to the drawing board image

The acid test is whether they can make this all work on a large scale.

To me, the most innovative features are:

1. Procedural generation of content:

A very cool idea, with theoretically unlimited potential, but by no means easy to do convincingly. It requires state-of-the-art mob pathing so that no NPC's get stuck on "unexpected" terrain features. If the game uses LoS, that has to truly work, it will not be able to rely on partial scripting of behaviour. We still see "floating" objects (trees, boulders, etc.) even in hand-made worlds, how to avoid that in a procedurally generated world that is also visually interesting and complex ?

2. Destructible content:

Another very cool idea, but how much, where, when and for how long ? The only "safe" way to really do it is in instancing or perhaps with phasing. But those 2 mechanisms have their issues as well. Destructibility in the open game world ? It just screams "Griefer Magnet !!", so it will have to be very limited and carefully controlled.

3. Rallying Calls:

The ultimate "public quest" ? Huge in scope and with a permanent effect on the world, these could be one of the most enjoyable parts of EQNext if done well. Imagine a new expansion launching and all the landmarks, bridges, towns and cities have to be built by players via "Rallying Calls" ?

There is a great deal we don't know yet about EQNext, and it's not clear yet how well these concepts will work in practice, but if it all comes together smoothly, I believe we may be looking at the first potential "WOW Killer" image

• DjuchadeDjuchade Member Posts: 29
    Absolutely fantastic. I understand a lot of people aren't happy (especially hard EQ fan since 99'), but i just can't wait fucking wait for play EQN. I love graphic style and overall game feeling and I'll keep my fingers crossed for non-themepark generic endgame.