Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Poll]Are you happy with Everquest Next?

Comments

• BenediktBenedikt Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by buckeye
    The cartoony graphics need to go. We want nitty, gritty realism.  Wake up SOE-your target market is adult gamers, not 6 year olds.

who is we? and unless we = you, how do you know what "they" want?

• LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514

I just hope their combat system isn't all about AoE spamming everything down.  I've hated how stupidly dumbed down combat has gotten in games today.

Seems like people just pull half a zone and AoE it all down in one lump nowadays.  Hopefully, either mobs will have enough health that it isn't feasible, or AoE's will milk a caster's mana crazy fast and be inefficient overall.

Just hoping for some group teamwork through CC and tactics, etc.  Hopefully they integrate the environmental destruction well enough that you can actually use that during combat effectively.

Pulled 10 mobs and know it's going to screw your group?  Warrior smashes down a tree to block the path and trap a few, wizard blasts a hole in the ground and disables a few more, etc.

Let's see people actually have to react and work for success.

• francis3343francis3343 Member UncommonPosts: 19

I have a feeling that they want to attract wow based players over. I was expecting something more in the Archeage type of game with less fluff!

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by svann
    In theory, the stuff they want the game to have sounds good.  But the combat looked crap, and the characters looked cartoony.  I could get over the character graphics (maybe), but I hope the combat is better than what we saw.

I agree that I hope the combat is better than shown but acknowledge that it was a very limited demonstration set up for the purpose of showing off the world and destructibility more thna the actual combat which seemed to be limited to 3 abilities at most.I was also not fond of the telegraphing because I prefer animation,ability effects and audio queues to when to move for better immersion but it's not a deal breaker.

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Rockniss
    I loved it. Step one now is sell off my pc equipment. Step two pre order ps4 because if you couldnt tell, the game is made for ps4 and I love it because I am now confident I will has a great mmorpg console title that will be my go to go for years and years. Stomp stomp world of war craft your game is no longer king

yes,because seeing a total of 5 minutes of footage tells you that you'll be playing the game for years and years.

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by Bloodpact
    Originally posted by xAPOCx

That shit Brad was saying about people that love VG and EQ would love EQN? He was fucking wrong!!!! EQN looks more like Rift, GW2 and Reckoning have a love child.

Im getting sick of these cartoonie looking games.

Amen. I'm incredibly disappointed that developers keep mandating these shroom-trip colour palettes and unnaturally bright and cheerful worlds.

From now on I'm going to make it a point of policy to never play anything with cartoony textures, it has gotten out of hand and shit has got to stop.

The last MMO i bought was RIFT and i wish that i hadent. I will never buy another one that even come close to the shit were getting these days. If i never play another MMO as long as i live, ill be fine. But im not goin to pony up cash for shit like this.

And nobody really cares.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by buckeye
    The cartoony graphics need to go. We want nitty, gritty realism.  Wake up SOE-your target market is adult gamers, not 6 year olds.

Um, no we don't.

We want that forgotten thing called "normal".

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• xevanonxevanon Member UncommonPosts: 76

This is the Tauren tale. and body shape..WOW armor model NOOOO....Am i dreaming ...Diablo barbarian whirlwing??... is it WOW2?? Sony bought WOW rights? They bought Blizzard? WTF

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by tank017

The art direction is gross... not a fan of it by any means.

I'll hold out hope and wait for more info to be released.At least the game will be free.

Looks like I'll still be waiting for my grown ups MMO however.

Anyone who would write off a game based on this particular artstyle is not mature anyway and also not intelligent enough to realize that 'cartoony' =/= 'not adult'.

Art style is fine.  Its the combat/overkill combat flair thats worrisome at this point

Originally posted by strangiato2112

I'll hold out hope and wait for more info to be released.At least the game will be free.

Anyone who would write off a game based on this particular artstyle is not mature anyway and also not intelligent enough to realize that 'cartoony' =/= 'not adult'.

Art style is fine.  Its the combat/overkill combat flair thats worrisome at this point

Your crazy clearly shows like Archer and Venture Bros are meant for 2 year olds!!!!

• RocknissRockniss Member Posts: 1,034
    The combat shown was combat against ai that stood still that is not how the game will be, the combat shown was only to let you see movement and a few combat animations
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Drakynn
    Originally posted by strangiato2112

Your crazy clearly shows like Archer and Venture Bros are meant for 2 year olds!!!!

who said I wrote it off?   as I said, i'll hold out hope and wait for more info to be released.At least the game is free..

hence I'll still be trying it and will be holding out hope that the game will redeem itself in other aspects,despite the Disney art style.

it is unintelligent to call someone "not intelligent",strangiato2112,when you arent showing much intelligence yourself.

• elyssariaelyssaria Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by krulux

I liked what I saw... and I will play it and help them create it.  I think some of you based on your comments should just exit the building.  EQN is not being made for you.  Based off some comments I don't think your game could be made. 

I don't understand where all the hate and cynicism comes from in today's gamer.  Some of the comments are so narrow and petty, I'm glad you won't be playing EQN.

/good riddance

The criticism comes due to SOE using the Everquest name and giving old school EQ players hopes of a spiritual new version of the original EQ with all the new fluff and candy that todays technology would be able to give.

When these players see the presentation of the EQ Next then it shatters their dreams and hopes and in all fairness it would be much better if they would not have used the Everquest name at all and instead released the game with a completely new name then they wouldn't have to carry the old backpack along. Since how this looked it nowhere even close to the feeling the original EQ had and that's not what most of the EQ fans had hope for.

I would much more like to see a Everquest 3 title... more loyal to the first version of EQ, without the handholding, with serious deathpenalties, with hard difficulty and alot of forced groupings... Not necessarily raid groups but at least alot of 3-6 man content. Of course there needs to be adjustments like the downtime needs to be tweaked a bit. They can use the old world almost identical as it is which some adjustments of course (not exact same layouts, but similar with some adjustments, some new content (perfectly manageable with the new "layer" world where you can destroy surface to find a new world under it etc). Then they add all the GREAT new stuff like emergent AI, advanced class system (however no role switching...if you want to change role then create another character and lvl it up instead, which also increases the replay value). This along with top notch more or less realistic graphics and a sandbox experience would pretty much the game I would sell my own soul for.

So yes, you are right maybe EQN isn't the thing for all these players but they still have the right to voice their concerns since as it is now if feels they only used the familiar name of a famous title that only have some of the lore attached and beside that it's an empty shell of what the EQ fans are looking for. Then it may be as great it can be, but it still isn't an EQ title for many of us.

/Ely

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    The combat shown was combat against ai that stood still that is not how the game will be, the combat shown was only to let you see movement and a few combat animations

I will say the idea of crowd control by building an ice shield for the gnolls to break through was pretty cool.

I *hate* the move the wizard did with the warping all enemies to its spot, blinking and exploding the spot.  Not a fan of the over the top whirlwind either.

• MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213

Wrong, there was one mob that did fight and cast lots and lots of spell effects.  While yes they did steamroll mobs that stood there to get chopped up, they also showed a sequence that makes it look like mindless button smashing.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• vorrin5vorrin5 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    Originally posted by jerlot65
    Originally posted by vorrin5

While I'm not 100% sold on the art direction or the mechanics yet, I'll give it a try.

I'm really wondering what will make grouping worthwhile and if it will function just like GW2. I'm also wondering how travel will work and if it will require other players.

I would have liked it more if the world was set up in a somewhat realistic fashion.

There could be a far stronger community if there was a sense of teamwork that proliferated the world. Keep the destruction, but make it more difficult and require players/npc's to rebuild, instead of making it regenerate. Subterranean lands could be discovered by miners and through the use of spells that tear away at the earth, blow it apart, or  turn it to a liquid that could be drawn out, channeled away, or pumped out by machinery that could be built to facilitate this as well.

Roving bandit players could build on outlying areas and raid NPC based merchant caravans, which would also be under attack by orcs. That way, even the players that choose to be evil would also face difficulties/competition from their decision. Other players could report activity and summon guards. The bandit players might have to follow behind the orc warbands or may even assist them and gain favor with them over time. Those orcs could even wage war on the goblins or others and those players could assist them and move up in stature within the group. If that group of orcs is wiped out completely, all memory of their deeds might be lost. Word can spread and be lost, depending on interactions with other warbands. Orcs might be prone to infighting and petty squabbles that lead to all out war. This kind of depth could extend to every race. Some might never be cooperative though, no matter what you do for them.

There is so much they could have done, but there is still time for them to play with new ideas and concepts (I hope).

Most of what you just described is looking like how the game will work.  Not sure what you are complaining about......

Where was I complaining? By saying I wasn't 100% sold on the art direction?

Also, what I described isn't how it works, at least it doesn't work that way from what I saw. Destruction was really fast and self-regenerating. The orcs parts only spoke of how they worked, not if the player could work with them.

I was throwing out my take on it. My point is that I'd like to see things that have much more depth than what I've seen so far. Right now it looks like an action MMO like GW2, with the building of minecraft (At least for the EQ Next Landmark. Have yet to see how it will work in EQ Next).

Now, I like GW2 in some respects, but I rarely interact with anyone and people rarely interact with me. Mostly I thank people for reviving me if I die or tell people they are welcome when I revive them. I played the heck out of the original EQ and I once had a friends list that required a notebook because I ran out of room on my list in-game. I doubt I was the only one. I want that level of interaction again.

• ZaiDenTsuZaiDenTsu Member Posts: 11
    very disapointed ..cartoonish graphic , no word about pvp ,ffa zones , pvp mods etc :/
  • nickster29nickster29 Member Posts: 486

I will be reserving the majority of my judgement until after I have actually had time to play a game.  While I may have preferred a different art style, the stylized aesthetic of the game will not deter me from trying EQN out.

I did however like their concepts of subterranean dungeons and destructible terrain.

• wesmowesmo Member Posts: 60
    Some of you were expecting EQnext to be EQ1 with new graphics. There lies the disappointment.. I like it myself. I will play it, heck will be for free :)
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by wesmo
    Some of you were expecting EQnext to be EQ1 with new graphics. There lies the disappointment.. I like it myself. I will play it, heck will be for free :)

Exactly, and they promised long ago that it would be nothing like EQ1 / EQ2. People need to learn to read and comprehend.

If you like EQ1 / EQ2 more, then good news! They will still be up and running!

Originally posted by wesmo

Then factor in the it will be Eve with a fantasy skin crowd and you'll understand the amount bitterness going around right now and for the foreseeable future.

I myself am ambivalent...I liked the concepts they described but will wait to see if they actually achieve them in a meaningful and fun way before I decide.

• BloodpactBloodpact Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by Galadourn
    it exceeded my expectations. This is the MMO to rule them all in the foreseeable future

Hahaha, no.

Star Citizen is much more likely to shake the boat.

"Where is the feeling of accomplishment in a game where you can never go where there is none to be had?"
    -Me, on the subject of Bethesda > BioWare

• ShezziShezzi Member Posts: 126

Before Reveal, I was hoping for a large SWG influence, with a flavouring of Eve thrown in.

I've played spreadsheets in space Eve, and sure I liked it a lot. I liked other things from SWG more however (crafting, Entertainer class, having own store, pet breeding). SWTOR put SWG's lights out, and Eve's design lacks universal appeal - it's a niche game. Let's face it, the Eve population numbers are heavily skewed by players with multiple accounts. Everyone I knew had multiple accounts, sometimes seven or eight, it was insane.

EQNext is looking for a bigger target audience. It wants to appeal to many ages, many playstyles, casual to hardcore. This game design might do that - maybe they'll do better in the long run than SWTOR's linear famous cast gamble.

I'm gonna give EQNext a good chance when it comes out, and focus on real life and studies in the interim. I've been burned out for a while already. It may not be Eve, but at least every server will have the opportunity to develop differently. Perhaps things won't be linear, and every alt will bring a new experience.

If crafting is made integral to the economy, I'll be very happy. Hopefully the PvP won't be wimpy.

Suppose we'll be hearing a lot of details over the coming months. Hurry up Beta!

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

I like the visual style, and the long-winded public quests sound kind of interesting, so I'd give it a try, but there are some red flags in there as well.

The combat, from what I've seen... I don't like it. I dislike limited action bars, I dislike action combat, I dislike having my screen so busy with spell effects.

The multiclass system, sounds OK-ish at first, but again I dislike having limited weapon sets for classes and having abilities tied to weapons.

Apart from the building kit that's advertised as a game on its own (and is not actually the game), almost everything we've seen has to do with combat. No stuff like housing, ship building, diplomacy, fisling, etc... To me this is the kind of stuff that makes an MMO worth staying in for the long haul.

Destructible environment... have to wait and see on that one. If you can really use it creatively to come up with some stuff the developers haven't foreseen, that's always good. But again, I'd like to be able to tone down on the particle effects.

The parkour... it's just animation and not gameplay, because it's nothing you're actually doing. I think I can safely categorize this as "nice fluff"; better to have than not, but not really important.

And then the monetizing system. Not to hold back here, I really, really dislike F2P, I dislike the notion that I can just pay and get ahead - not of others but of myself as well. I don't like prices being put on my effort.

All in all, the EQN reveal left me mildly interested. Contrary to most, the best part for me were the visuals, but other stuff is mostly wait and see. At the moment I'm more interested in TESO and Wildstar, but will also give this a try when it comes out - which looks to be no sooner than a year from now.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

The biggest let down was when i readed the Curse intervieuw....
    Only 8 skills on the actionbar...
    Zerg style GW2 events....
    Way to cartoony characters.....
    Not a single piece of footage or info about pvp....

These 4 features or lack off made me eww a few times, that does not mean i wont play it, but it will prolly just be like GW2 where you casualy hop in and get a 1 hour mmo fix and get bored of combat and or pvp.

Wait and see i gues, but i expected a hardcore game from a EQ...
    Not a totaly carebear mmo :(