Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: The Future of the MMORPG Lies in Norrath

Comments

• CromicaCromica Member UncommonPosts: 657
    It all sounds great and looks good, I just hope they can deliver 
  • ArshoonArshoon Member UncommonPosts: 71
    I'll keep playing Wurm. It has so much more than all these big company games its not funny.

If you aren't actively part of the solution, you have no right to complain about anything.

• Morfeus641Morfeus641 Member UncommonPosts: 28

SOE just made every other developer shit their pants. You know Titan went back to the drawing board because of this. 

Looks amazing, can't wait, haters gonna hate, welcome to the internet. 

• ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314
    Originally posted by iamjason1989

WHY WOULD YOU CHOSE cartoony art style SOE?

What they are trying to do sounds interesting but look at the  Vah Shir and his fucking shoulder pad.

WTF

You mean Kerra as Luclin is where the Vah Shir developed.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Can I have "Shitty WoW graphics" for $500, Bob?
  • ITPalgITPalg Member UncommonPosts: 314

I commented in another thread that my hopes are for a one-world server fantasy MMOG like Eve Online, with Eve Online's character photo-realistic graphics in full-body mode, walking in stations like Star Trek Online, that they put on the back burner for now.

I am still waiting on the news of just how large the starting world land will be overland. How long will it take to walk from Qeynos to Freeport? I remember they were saying a year ago or so that they wanted to do things with EQN that they couldn't do with EQ but wanted to back with EQ, such as no loading screens (Vanguard), etc.

Will there be dynamic weather?

These things are reminiscent of Vanguard, where you can just walk and walk and walk and never "zone" (although there are slight hesitation loading times as you cross a "chunk"), walk into a dungeon that goes down for an hour or more with no loading from outside to inside, and you can see storm clouds coming in before it rains.

I am guessing I will be playing EQN before Shroud of the Avatar comes out, which the first part is scheduled for 2014. SoTA with Richard Garriott for you old school UO style people.

twitch.tv/itpaladin
    @ITPalg
    YouTube: ITPalGame

• velmaxvelmax Member UncommonPosts: 224
    I'm so glad the mmorpgCOM community is hating on this game, that means that i don't have to see them in game.      :D
  • AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 295
    Originally posted by velmax
    I'm so glad the mmorpgCOM community is hating on this game, that means that i don't have to see them in game.      :D

And, you probably won't be seeing anyone else after the first 45 days or so either.

• Chase187666Chase187666 Member UncommonPosts: 138
    I, for one, love the art style

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

If I had to synthesize, I would would say evolutionary and impressive.  I have to give credit to SOE for changing the entire game.  It also shows how conservative GW2 was in its revolution, but enough to change some of the staples. 

No levels? I thought I would never accept a game like that.  Meaningful exploration. Multiple classes but the Trinity as well? Every server being different?  Remembering my decisions in the game (rather than being tracked at the character level)? And for some reason it looks like this game will be challenging though I have absolutely no information to back this up what so ever.  Thats forward thinking.

Some people are automatically going to hate this game, but something this player driven it doesnt matter.  The experience looks to be so deep those who like wont care.

Concerns?  Of course.  Its a game.  What are the loot tables like?  How is crafting?  How is power measured?  Are the rally points 'visible' if you play long enough?  I have a ton of others.   I will definitely give this game a try based on its courage to do something never done before.

I dont care what you think about Smed or SOE - I have to give credit where credit is due.

Hope other developers take the hint and keep on pushing the envelope.  Its time for some imagination and change to improve the genre.

Kudos.

Originally posted by AZHokie54
    Originally posted by velmax

And, you probably won't be seeing anyone else after the first 45 days or so either.

Why do you say that?

Originally posted by PrO_Leon

sand box where u can't jump freely? AI pathing will move you trough user generated content trough skill shaped landscape that regenerates? I can't even imagine half of this to work and they are trying to sell it all as a package?  

Love the permanent world idea and the user generated content but enforcing AI pathing on top of all that is a death sentence right there in my eyes, the amount of time to script moving trough all that combined with the landscape changes is nowhere even close to what even the best mmo's have even came close by. Jumping is the best way to get out of any glitchy  objects by far 

hope someone brings them to their senses before they break their heads :shakehead

I hear what you are saying and I have the same concerns.  But its hard for me to understand how you can form an opinion before even playing in a beta.  Just because you cant imagine it doesnt mean it cant be done.

I'd rather they do something like this than try to re-imagine the existing model which I have been around since 1999.  Its stale and I'm thinking really hard how Wildstar and some of these others will be as different.

But the bigger question is how much of the community WANTS something this different, versus the ones who want to play what they know.  It will be interesting to see how that shakes out.

Originally posted by Smokeysong
    Originally posted by evilastro

Perfect, its exactly the game I have been waiting for. Love everything about it, the art style, the concepts, the multi-classing, the dynamic world and the lack of levels. I love how your class changes how you move around the world. Also loved how the combat works. It looks like the game that GW2 should have been.  

Going to be my new home for sure.

I will certainly agree that there are a lot of positives here, but the art style is a pure sell-out, and it is, to me, a sign of the lack of quality that is going to be apparent after the game is released in pretty much everything else.

I LIKE cartoon style - but not in EQ. If they wanted to make another MMOG entirely and use a cartoon style, I wouldn't object at all. However, what they did was make a game that was supposed to be a more sandbox style game for EQ players to enjoy, and they totally changed the art style. Not only did they change it, but the armor looks so much like WoW armor I can hardly see anything else in the videos. It is stunningly, shockingly bad to me. Not bad in the sense that I think it looks ugly or wrong, but bad in the sense that it isn't EQ and it looks like an almost direct copy of what I'd see in WoW.

I mean, seriously, I don't really get why they think they need to make a third version of EQ anyway, but if that's what they are going to do, then make it EQ, not WoW with updated PC models and familiar EQ names and places.

What I have said before is that I think EQNext will be a great game I just don't want to play because it speaks to a different kind of player. What I'm saying now is that I think it will be a luke-warm game that I won't even try. I hope I'm wrong though.

Luckily I like the style.  It reminds me of a more in depth, serious GW2.  Cant wait to play to see if they deliver.

Thats how MMORPGs SHOULD be.  I'm so tired of every new MMORPG trying to please the E-N-T-I-R-E gaming population. Its impossible.  Make the best game you can and attract the gamers who truly enjoy what you created.

How is an art style selling out?  Because you don't like it?  Your argument doesnt make as much sense as your opinion.

Then again if you truly are against the style, you never have to play the game.  I still say try it and make a choice after you actually play it.

• ropeniceropenice Member UncommonPosts: 588
    And how much is all this cool stuff, classes, etc going to be sold in CS or at least influenced by CS activity or driven by CS.
    Originally posted by Smokeysong

Is SOE freakin serious?

I have never seen another game that looked more like World of Warcraft than this thing does right now. It looks like they hired away a bunch of Blizzard artists to do the visuals. That armor style is strictly WoW, and frankly one of the reasons I am playing EQII right now is to get away from the clunky, chunky armor style of WoW. Don't get me entirely wrong, I don't hate WoW armor in its entirety, and it mostly fits the style of the game - but it is NOT EQ. Give me armor that looks metallic (EQII does a great job here), and weapons that look like they might actually be sharp.

Sure, there is some very good stuff Love the looks of the lion-race (Keeshan?), saw facial expressions and  the human face looked marvelous, but right now it's just WoW with a few tricks up its sleeve and an F2P model thrown on top of that.

It is just not EQ, and it certainly isn't enough different than WoW to make me give up characters I've been playing for all these years (though Blizzard has been doing a good job of killing off my enthusiasm all by themselves). Combat looked similar to WoW, too.

We've seen these WoW clones with new tricks added for, what, 6 years or more now? They trend to be profitable enough to stay alive, but they are not thought of as great games by the community, they are thought of as WoW clones and sneered at. I never thought the EQ team would be part of that. SOE, sure, but I thought the EQ guys were just better gamers at heart.

I have to say something else here, too. What's up with re-hashing EQ for a third time? Seriously, they expect to win over more players by making a WoW version of EQ? Haven't they done enough WoW-like damage to the previous games already? There is only one way this would be cool to me, and that's if they were making EQNext for the "casual" players and restoring the other games to what they used to be.

Needless to say, I'm very disappointed at this point.

But they told you this.  This is NOT EQ.   This is Everquest Next which doesnt take much to understand it represents a re-imagination to change the genre.  You have no idea if it is different from WoW or not because you just heard about it today.  That logic doesnt make any sense.

I dont know, I dont think the arguments of old will work against EQN.  New ones will inevitably be created, but believe experience with the game will be required to do so.

• Kraken999Kraken999 Member Posts: 21
    Sorry, but this is nothing but rehashed crap thats in other games already on the market.  No matter how much you think they are creating a non wow like game this one is no different.  When will these bigger studios ever get it that what they are producing sucks big donky dicks.?  In the next year you are going to see smaller independant devs kick their asses for the simple fact that these guys are refusing to use the cookie cutter molds.  Since the release of minecraft you see the market for a sandbox mmo.  The best one comming out is with out a doubt Divergence Online.  Already in pre alpha its getting rave reviews and its rabid fan base is growing every day.  SOE had so much bad press and deservedly so with SWG.  This game isnt going to shine up their lack luster image at all.
    Originally posted by Kraken999
    Sorry, but this is nothing but rehashed crap thats in other games already on the market.  No matter how much you think they are creating a non wow like game this one is no different.  When will these bigger studios ever get it that what they are producing sucks big donky dicks.?  In the next year you are going to see smaller independant devs kick their asses for the simple fact that these guys are refusing to use the cookie cutter molds.  Since the release of minecraft you see the market for a sandbox mmo.  The best one comming out is with out a doubt Divergence Online.  Already in pre alpha its getting rave reviews and its rabid fan base is growing every day.  SOE had so much bad press and deservedly so with SWG.  This game isnt going to shine up their lack luster image at all.

Do you have an actual argument are you just going to give your opinion?

The game is offering a lot of different things.  You cant argue if they are good or not because you havent played it.  But just taking one small point name one game that has destructible environments in an MMORPG.  I would love to play it.

How do you know the game is WoW like if you never played the game?  Are you basing it on the fact that it has a similiar art style?  And to look at your comments deeper what exactly are you expecting from an MMORPG?  I want to remove the basic things that are common across MMORPGs/games from your similiarity list.  

But on what grounds are they going to kick their ass?  The developer (large, small, or independent) at the end of the day dont really matter, its the game they create that does.  I see your assumption that large studios dont make good games but I can counter that argument but feel I would waste my time.  

I don't know if this is a sandbox game because there are a million definitons of what that should be.  I'll just call it a game and wait for it to be released to actually see what its like.

As for Divergence Online did it ever occur to you that those who are playing actually like what they are playing.

Stop spinning off your opinion as the end all of what good gaming is like.  And even if you believe your opinion is stronger than it is, try backing it up with fact.  It will go a lot longer. 

• zwei2zwei2 Member Posts: 361
    Originally posted by itpaladin

I commented in another thread that my hopes are for a one-world server fantasy MMOG like Eve Online, with Eve Online's character photo-realistic graphics in full-body mode, walking in stations like Star Trek Online, that they put on the back burner for now.

Some players have seen enough of realism in real life, and just do not want to see the same stuff in their game.

The possibility of the universe collapsing into a singularity is higher than the birth of a perfect MMORPG.

Originally posted by zwei2
    Originally posted by itpaladin

Some players have seen enough of realism in real life, and just do not want to see the same stuff in their game.

See the interesting thing for me is that the picture doesnt look realistic or ultra realistic... it looks uncanny and wouldn't want to play something like that.  But thats just me.  I happen to prefer the artistic style because it fits better in a fantasy theme for me.

You always have TESO... I probably won't be playing that.

• 0Neo00Neo0 Member UncommonPosts: 47
    OMG the graphics ,are you serious dubbed down for consols big time,lol lost me allready all i see are wow style cartoon chars :(.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

I can't say I'm extremely excited by this news, and I can't say I'm disappointed.

Overall, I believe I'm going to need more information, and more time to digest what we currently have, to try to envision what playing this game will actually be like.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• ozmonoozmono Member UncommonPosts: 1,211
    I didn't expect I would keep my hype at ten but there it shall stay.
  • BookahBookah Member UncommonPosts: 260

*MIND BLOWN*

David Georgeson is really cool, he fucking loves this game so much!

I dont know what else to say other than ill see you all in Norrath.

The round table website is a nice touch as well.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375
    My first impression is that it's being developed mainly for the PS4 and it reminded me a lot of GW2 in combat, so I don't think this will appease those looking for an old school sandbox MMO done for next gen computers, but i'm sure it will be a hit amongst those who enjoyed GW2.
  • Master.RyuMaster.Ryu Member UncommonPosts: 52
    Was a bit skeptical about this game, but after that worldwide debut, I must say it looks very promising.