Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] EverQuest Next: The Future of the MMORPG Lies in Norrath

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Today, right now in Las Vegas, Nevada SOE is pulling back the veil on the incredibly anticipated EverQuest Next. In the this momentous installment of the venerable series, they're returning to their roots and pushing a genre to its limits. Read on for our exclusive preview of what awaits you in the new Norrath.

Right now, as you’re reading this the game is being revealed in Las Vegas, Nevada to just about the entire globe.  Finally, after all these months of teasing and hyping, the gaming public is getting their own eyes on with SOE’s evolutionary MMORPG.  But let’s go back to June 11th, 2013... the moment we first learned just what SOE has in store for the genre, and why if their aspirations can be met we’ll all be in for a treat when Norrath is made anew once more.

Read the full exclusive preview of EverQuest Next: The Future of the MMORPG Lies in Norrath.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Holy crap that's cooler than I even thought it would be!

Love that PvP never even got mentioned. So much for open world FFA forced PvP being the focus of this game.

• KidonKidon Member UncommonPosts: 399
    Holy ... awsome.
  • AffordableAffordable Member UncommonPosts: 41
    No mention of PVP?
  • 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489

I'm going to apologize in advance but...

FUCKING FINALLY!

a yo ho ho

• rosleckrosleck Member UncommonPosts: 28

Over all I really like what I saw. I am not in love with the way "classes"  are set up but I'm willing to give it a shot.

Wonder how Beastlords fit in.

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    First two smell so much of "PS4 controller required".

Destructible everything? So I can use that crater ability over and over and drill a bottomless pit? Or eventually remove Norrath altogether from existance? Somehow, I doubt it.

And of course, this is Dave Georgeson, who I remember from the Tribes 1/2 era (and the Tribes 2 debacle)... don't believe much of what passes his lips.
  • thyraventhyraven Member UncommonPosts: 59

Everyone, and even the dumb one should know that this comes with limitations.

"everything in the new Norrath will be destructible... everything" 

Talk about digging your own grave, the community will eat you alive when the limitations comes

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Honestly, a lot of ideas that have been tried and failed in other games.

This is a lot like Final Fantasy 14 1.0.

No classes?  Awesome in theory, yet so many games have tried it, remember SWG?  The game that THE SAME company took from skill based to class / level based advancement.  They didn't do that because they wanted to kill their game,they thought it would benefit their game.

It's honestly surprising to me how many things they are doing that other games did and failed because of them.

The graphics are ok, but they look VERY Guild Wars 2 to me, and I'm sure I'm not alone with that.

The Character models are more cartoony than I expected.

The ground AoE's being red circles like FFXIV or Neverwinter or any other new game coming out..  Honestly the video looked much like the Ifrit Fight from FFXIV ARR...

This isn't anything new or innovative, and it shouldn't have been Best of Show for E3.

Disappointed.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Oh and The Kerra look exactly like Char.

(From GW2)

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Well I'm out, cartoony graphics :(
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Wow, so much less than I thought it would be. It sounds like GW2 without levels but with the dynamic event concept pushed just a tiny bit further (which isn't bad, I quite like it, but still kinda weak for pants pooping).

And the world building will be okay, but I got bored of minecraft a long time ago, so meh.

Oh and I forgot to mention, graphics are less cartoony than wildstar, but far from realistic.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

Looks like I'll be playing GW2 and EQN.

Since I'm not familiar with the developer, I'm going to take it with a pinch of salt, but this looks like it's taking GW2 to the next level.

Competition is very good :)

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2

• hockeyplayrhockeyplayr Member UncommonPosts: 604
    sounds extremely fun
  • wowclonezwowclonez Member Posts: 74
    Looks like Wildstar on steroids. Yay another cartoon looking game!.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

The movement sounds cool.  I would think that jump puzzles will still exist, but that's fine.

Limited active skills, check for porting to a console.

Destructible environment sounds cool, and also protecting things that are necessary for the game.  We not in sandbox territory yet since everything regenerates, but we're getting there.  Finding dungeons underground after blowing a hole there sounds a bit like Minecraft. :-)

The city building mechanics sounds really interesting, especially since it's player driven, and would turn out differently on different servers.

No levels?  Progression comes from experimenting with skills and finding new classes?  That sounds neat.  The description of how to potentially find classes sounds cool too.  I kind of hope they stick with the not worrying about balance.

It sounds like UO's original plan to have some sort of ecosystem will actually happen here.  Hopefully it will accommodate the initial onslaught of new players. :-)

I've got to admit, I might be more excited about EQ:Landmark than anything else.

Still no word on the PvP, travel systems and UI which I think are going to cause the most activity on the forums.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Well looks cool but we stil have few weeks or months till we can tell it the game is good, calm down.
  • Princess.ClaudePrincess.Claude Member UncommonPosts: 65
    overall i'm not impressed so far, and the art style sure is not my cup of tea :/
  • bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I was waiting to see the unveil from the SOE Live show but it's just a never ending sand sculpture.

SOE know you guys at mmorpg.com are beating them to it?

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• mikunimanmikuniman Member UncommonPosts: 375
    Originally posted by tixylix
    Well I'm out, cartoony graphics :(

agreed, disappointed with the graphics, enough with the cartoon mmo's already.

Originally posted by Ppiper
    not sure how I feel about no levels, kind of used to it since playing EQ1 and I do agree, the graphics are a turn off. I'm neutral at this point and a little underwhelmed.

You mean you didn't poop your pants and have such an earth shattering experience that your jaw in on the floor? No?

But seriously, it sounds good, like Wildstar + GW2 + Minecraft. Not amazing, but it'll be fun.

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374

WHY WOULD YOU CHOSE cartoony art style SOE?

What they are trying to do sounds interesting but look at the  Vah Shir and his fucking shoulder pad.

WTF

• shingoukiehshingoukieh Member UncommonPosts: 126
    When do you think this game will be out and available.....is it still in early stages or ready for closed beta??
    Can't wait to loot [Big Glowly Shoulder Pads of Doom] and run around.
  • TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Vidir
    Well looks cool but we stil have few weeks or months till we can tell it the game is good, calm down.

NO. WE WILL NOT CALM DOWN. WE WILL SPAZ OUT ON ALL THE STUFF THEY SAY, WHETHER IT'S STUFF WE WANTED THEM TO SAY OR NOT.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AmbrosiaAmorAmbrosiaAmor Member Posts: 915
    Awesome O: