Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jeremy soule is the composer

Comments

• superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Absolutely wonderful music, just wonderful!

Doesn't get any better than Jeremy Soule.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

Maybe it's just me, but I have never been a huge fan of his minus a couple of songs.

This them is......well It's not memorable, it's not anything special, it sounds like a generic score you've heard in any other game or movie that is easily forgotten.

edit: I withhold my judgement, I didn't know it wasn't final/finished yet (just listened to the youtube snippit so I didn't get that info)

A theme should have something special, something that makes it memorable and stands out, that years later you'll hear it and know exactly what it is from.

Examples:

Halo (Like the game or not, the theme is memorable and unmistakable , you hear it and you know, Halo).

Ultima Online , Stones I still remember, to this day.

Mario

The Elder Scrolls

Legend of Zelda

Metroid

OUtlaws (Classic Lucasarts western, super memorable theme and music)

When I listen to this theme I just don't really "connect" with anything, as I said it sounds like it could be from any other generic fantasy game or movie, nothing special to it.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    I can't wait to hear the final product.  The core that they did present kept that mystical feeling that both EQ and EQ2 have.
  • superconductingsuperconducting Member UncommonPosts: 871

Oh and just a reminder--

If you watched the keynote, Smedley said it's a rough early version and Jeremy Soule clearly said it's not done yet.

My guess is this is just the buildup to the climactic part which we haven't heard yet.

Such beautiful music.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    It sounded extremely bland to me.  I hope its just because they gave him short notice before the event and he just threw something together.  I know he can do better than that.
  • IadienIadien Member UncommonPosts: 638
    It's unfinished, don't judge it too much yet.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Strumiker
    Glad he's on board, but really wish it would have been an epic version of the previous EverQuest musics. I'm sure the rest of the game's music will be awesome.

totally agree, however it was still pretty damn good IMO

• dandurindandurin Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    I think I like it better than the original actually, this one is more gentle, more fantasy like, more mysterious. It's lovely.

"Haunting" is the word that comes to mind.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    Originally posted by Stiler

Maybe it's just me, but I have never been a huge fan of his minus a couple of songs.

This them is......well It's not memorable, it's not anything special, it sounds like a generic score you've heard in any other game or movie that is easily forgotten.

edit: I withhold my judgement, I didn't know it wasn't final/finished yet (just listened to the youtube snippit so I didn't get that info)

A theme should have something special, something that makes it memorable and stands out, that years later you'll hear it and know exactly what it is from.

Examples:

Halo (Like the game or not, the theme is memorable and unmistakable , you hear it and you know, Halo).

Mario

The Elder Scrolls

Legend of Zelda

Metroid

Or like "Dragonborn Comes" from Skyrim, which Im guessing was written by Soule.

edit: confirmed

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607

Examples:

The Elder Scrolls

(unless maybe he means Arena/Dagger)

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Originally posted by svann

Examples:

Mario

The Elder Scrolls

Legend of Zelda

Metroid

Or like "Dragonborn Comes" from Skyrim, which Im guessing was written by Soule.

Yea Soule did the music for all the Elder Scrolls games minus Arena and Daggerfall (Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim).

HE has done a ton of game scores, but only a few of his really "stand out" to me, Skyrim being probably one of the most notable.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Nadia

EQN theme already on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zzgrFFnavY

I was scared to death to listen to this - but damn it's good.  Such a mature and epic feel to it.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    I think I like it better than the original actually, this one is more gentle, more fantasy like, more mysterious. It's lovely.

I agree actually.  While I'm sure I'm in the minority, the original theme just never did that much for me.

HE has done a ton of game scores, but only a few of his really "stand out" to me, Skyrim being probably one of the most notable.

Have you played NWN? I posted some links a few pages back.

I generally find JS hit or miss, but he has really good hits here and there and that's honestly true for most great composers.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Trudge34
    Guy who did Skyrim for those that don't know.

...And both Guildwars games.

Good news anyways, he is one of the best. :)

Originally posted by Margulis

I was scared to death to listen to this - but damn it's good.  Such a mature and epic feel to it.

Like someone here mentioned it sounds a bit haunting, perhaps a bit of a melancholy/regretful feel in it. I think that should fit fine with EverQuest Next.

The original theme is definitely memorable, but it also sounds like it came from the age period that it came from. It sounds very light. It has a rather "yay" feel to it. Kinda reminds me of the original Star Trek theme, it's great but like someone said it makes Star Trek sound stuck in the 60's.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by krulux

I really enjoy Jeremy Soule's work..

I'd like to see them use Malukah to sing something... beautiful voice, beautiful person.

Blog: malukah.com
    Twitter: twitter.com/malukah
    Facebook: facebook.com/malukah7

very nice

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Wow they are going all out for this! The cash shop is really going to have to be heavy handed to be profitable I think. I really wish they would go for a buy to play model. But oh we'll

• NadiliNadili Member Posts: 197
    As much as I loved the original score I think it was a great move to do something new for EQN.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

The new theme sucks, it's so generic and boring.....

They should have remixed the original EverQuest theme like they do for The Elder Scrolls games each time. 

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

My issue with Soule as a composer isn't that his pieces are of low quality, or even that they sound too derivative or generic relative to his peers - rather, his body of work seems hackneyed when taken together because he rarely deviates from the same strict formula, and it makes his pieces difficult to distinguish from one another, besides their slight changes in melody between game scores.

Seems like he's playing it overly safe again with the EQN score - disappointing. I really would like to see him take some creative risks, explore his talent, and produce more original pieces. Alas, he's unlikely to do so while big game producers are paying him well to keep churning out the same stuff.

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782
    If anybody was worried about EQN having a bad soundtrack then don't. The boy Jeremy is on the case.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by spookydom
    If anybody was worried about EQN having a bad soundtrack then don't. The boy Jeremy is on the case.

Look at his history, he's done a lot of bad ones in the past.

• LorgarnLorgarn Member UncommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by tixylix
    Originally posted by spookydom

Look at his history, he's done a lot of bad ones in the past.

Everything he's made can be seen as "bad", it all depends on said persons preferences.

Personally, he's been my favorite composer since Dungeon Siege. This together with his other masterpieces in Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim and Guild Wars 2. He's a genius, nuff said really.

• Princess.ClaudePrincess.Claude Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Well at least if i don't like the game, i know i'll like the music, Jeremy soule is a god damn genious mastermind