Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If this game has cartoony graphics, then I'm out. [Graphics Discussion thread]

123457»

Comments

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by Cleanin

But the Disney style character models were pretty ridiculous. It may not stop me from playing, or maybe it will, but only more time will tell.

Indeed. I definitely feel it's closer to Disney than WoW. The human looked like Disney princesses and the Kerran, well, like the lions.

They didn't need to go gritty realistic (I'd probably hate that more than this), but they should have toned it down.

Originally posted by elyssaria
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Everyone used to say gameplay over graphics but I guess that is not true, I happen to like the graphics so np here.

It stills exists, just that of todays standard it shouldn't have to be a choice to choose between, but instead a new mmorpg should have both imo. It isn't 2004 and release of WoW anymore it's actually 2013 the computers and the graphic cards have surpassed that cartoonish style long long time ago.

You're delusional if you think graphics are some sort of a solved problem by now.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Silverbarr
    Originally posted by newbinator Originally posted by tommygunzII Kids these days  Who could possibly get hung up on the artistic design after all of the incredible things we just learned.
      It's human nature. We are very visual animals. I'm quite happy though. The art style is extremely pleasing to my eyes.
    Wholeheartedly agree, I find it surreal that we are getting a bunch of incredible ideas executed in what appears to be an impressive way and people get hung up on a art-style, hell I don't even see the 'great cartoon-like disaster' people are implying, I see a damn beautiful game, with a beautiful world, that we can actually change in a manner of different ways - be it temporarily with combat to our/or the enemies benefit, or permament changes such as the Rally Call system. Other than that we still haven't learned about housing, etc.

I'm shocked at the personality and ridiculous statements that the 'MMO-gamers' of today are shouting out.

its because people have different opinions about mmo's. some people don't really care about art style or the look of their toon, some people are very serious about the look of their character (i am one of those people) and some people who loved everquest do not want the game they have always loved, that has always featured more realistic graphics, turned into a cartoon. (i am one of those people as well)

i am a grown ass man, i don't watch cartoons nor do i play games that have cartoony graphics, i cant stand them.

so yeah, its a legitimate gripe people are going to have to live with, its going to take me a long time to get over this.

but the rest of the game does sound good so hopefully many people like me will learn to live with the graphics and art style, i am hopeful at least.

there is no way i don't at least give this game a fair chance, even if i am disappointed in the art style.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by buckeye
    These cartoony graphics need to go. You are catering to adult gamers, not 6 year olds. Bring us gritty realistic characters and towns.

I think you're wrong, it seems they are definitely targeting the younger crowd with the art style, huge armors, over-the-top skills and frenzied battles.

• DaakenDaaken Member Posts: 158
    Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by Chieftan
    Wow.  This site and tentonhammer should be ashamed.  How could you hype a game you knew was just another Disney-kiddie WoW clone?  Before this is all done they'll be dropping promises and adding exclamation marks to NPCs.

wow clone? oh because of the graphics? that's what makes it a wow clone? lol

ya i don't like the cartoon graphics either but calling it a clone just because of that is pretty comical.

Well apparently Graphics are everything to some people.

I personally would be playing EQN if the art was stick people.

Random Forum Poster: I want an MMO that is different, original and fun.

Me: So you want something like EQN

Them: Nah dude, I want a Holy Trinity, Tab Target combat, Instanced Raiding, and Rigid classes.

Me: Double Facepalm.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by tommygunzII

Who could possibly get hung up on the artistic design after all of the incredible things we just learned.

I'd take that a step further and wonder why many aren't focusing on the way in which the industry is moving, and the implications these elements hold for the rest of the genre as we move forward. So EQN isn't your thing, at least there's hope DEVs will begin branching out in new directions in many titles not just EQN.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• elyssariaelyssaria Member UncommonPosts: 45
    Originally posted by NagelRitter
    Originally posted by Cleanin

But the Disney style character models were pretty ridiculous. It may not stop me from playing, or maybe it will, but only more time will tell.

Indeed. I definitely feel it's closer to Disney than WoW. The human looked like Disney princesses and the Kerran, well, like the lions.

They didn't need to go gritty realistic (I'd probably hate that more than this), but they should have toned it down.

Originally posted by elyssaria
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Everyone used to say gameplay over graphics but I guess that is not true, I happen to like the graphics so np here.

It stills exists, just that of todays standard it shouldn't have to be a choice to choose between, but instead a new mmorpg should have both imo. It isn't 2004 and release of WoW anymore it's actually 2013 the computers and the graphic cards have surpassed that cartoonish style long long time ago.

You're delusional if you think graphics are some sort of a solved problem by now.

I do not think I am delusional by stating that the games doesn't need to be cartoonish due to the fact that people having computers that cannot handle better graphics. I mean even one of the worst machines (my wifes office computer) can actually run Age of Conan to a decent lvl of graphics and it looks way better then the cartoon style of EQN. Then there will always be people with machines that are too old and bad for playings the latest games, and I dare to say they will suffer more from the ridiculus overwhelming effects of the combat they have in EQN where it looks like every fight is some kind of firework. Instead they could turn down almost all effects (except animations for different skills and regular magic spells) and then increasing the realism and details of the other graphics instead.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by Gorwe
    That's the thing distopia.

I don't care how EQNext fares(especially after today). But I hope it fares just ok so you guys Might have fun and so that my hope of a true Warhammer Fantasy can continue to live. And with EQNext's model...oh boy! He who makes it shall be rich indeed! Just imagine...

Exactly my point, I hope to see some of this stuff making it into many of the titles we see the next few years. EQ has never been an interest of mine, but the type of exploration showcased today certainly is.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• Yokoshima333Yokoshima333 Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by tixylix

For me EverQuest is sort of semi realistic high/dark fantasy, it's pure fantasy of how it used to be. Every single fantasy game now just copies WoW, does the cartoony graphics with giant shoulder pads and a boring clean world. I want the dark gritty scary world of what fantasy used to be and I don't want giant shoulder pads and cartoony graphics. SOE have long since butchered EverQuest and EverQuest 2 turning EQ2 into some cartoony crap and EQ into some generic looking plastic tat. 

If they don't get fantasy back to how it should be, and make it some cartoony crap then I'll have no interest already.

[mod note - edited title to try and keep the discussion together]

This. A thousand times this. EQ 1 was the first MMO I ever played. The thought of being able to play with people around the world, or even my town blew my mind. But more than that it was the realism. Sure the graphics "sucked" compared to now but that didn't matter. It was like a whole new world.  It was like being in one of the best stories ever told. Hell when you got drunk you wobbled and they slurred your speech when you typed. It was a game made by DnD and zork fans, with funny loading screen messages. They didn’t have the fancy new mechanics and graphics that today’s games rely upon, so instead the relied on depth of world and story. Sure it could be better, but obviously it can be made much, much worse.  What’s more it seems more and more games pander to the “now now now!” crowd. What happened to stopping and smelling the flowers as it were? What happened to trekking into a frozen mountain path , where no NPC could be seen for at least 10 min, only to find a fort that was never used hidden just off the map. THAT added depth. Now its get quest A go to B grind at C. Everything is go go go rush rush rush to the end. Death penalties be damned, skill be damned.  Grab the biggest audience you can and screw quality. I mean why bother when flashy moves and gimmicks sell just as well but far easier to make?  EQ was my last hope for a mmo that was made by made by devs with some pride.  My last hope for an mmo wasn’t focused on just money, but rather an epic saga that takes you into a whole new world.  Where you can learn and grow as a person from the experiences you gained there as well as having fun and meeting new people.

• Yokoshima333Yokoshima333 Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by teddyboy420
    Originally posted by BearKnight

This is complete crap. It is WoW 2.0 graphics, and our family is completely heartbroken. We're SICK AND TIRED of all these "Modern" titles coming out with aweful graphics aimed at pre-teens.

JUST LOOK AT THIS! Everquest: Next is a failure.

It is totally your right to write the game off b/c of the graphics, but honestly, w/ the gameplay I have read about, YOU (and your family, and guild and whoever else you claim to be speaking for) are the ones that are going to be missing out.

Seriously? Who the frig cares as long as the gameplay is tight? These types of graphics make WAY more sense for a developer of a modern MMO b/c it enables more people to play the game. Look at what happened w/ EQ2 (yes, EQ2 was planned for the "next gen" of single core CPU's which we all know never came, but the point is still valid), the graphics and performance kept a lot of people from even touching that game for years.

I personally don't care much about graphics, and the gameplay sounds awesome. All you people crying, and saying the game will suck, or that you won't play b/c of the graphics are going to be sorry you missed out b/c of something so silly.

It's not a graphics issue, it's an artwork issue. And that makes it an immersion issue. I’d take EQ1 or EQ2s graphics over this.

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Gameplay >>>>>> Graphics

Gameplay >> Aesthetics

Now could twidiots stop looking at the form of a function rather than the function?

• Role_playerRole_player Member Posts: 33

To answer to this post I've to make a fast recap/summary first:

The class roles seems to be Moba style, we still have the trinity concept in, I mean playable, but we will be no more forced to act like the trinity suggest to us because the emergent AI will react different as we are used to and the primary menace of the party could be everybody depending by a lot of factors as:  situational, the destructibility feature and the desires of the monsters themselves that makes all more unpredictable; the combat looks like an improved version of the dynamic combat seen in Neverwinter/Vanguard but with more mechanics and more strategy because of the mix and match classes that will be like the cards game Magic the Gathering in which, depending on the Planeswalker you fight against, you choose your Deck(main class), and mix&match skills (swamps+islands or mountains+forests) to create a multiclass appropriate to the duel you are going to engage but still dangerous because just like paper, rock, scissor there is always a weak point, like Superman and his criptonite... + the 2 weapons sets that reminds a lot of people at GW2 and apparentely it's so but I think weapons are going to have a real and wide phisicity's variety that will not be meaningless (range,hit frequency,multitarget etc.) ...

So, that said, at the end, if the game is build in that way, keeping the sandbox style like Minecraft/Landmark, if the level of challenge is accurate and it's fun to play, even if the graphic isn't dark fantasy as I like ...I'm going to like EQN anyway!

• LaterisLateris Member UncommonPosts: 1,831
    Originally posted by dandurin
    Originally posted by tixylix
    Well I guess I'm out then, I don't like how the game looks, just looks like WoW on DX9 : Inf act looks exactly like GW2 or Firefall or any other stylized MMO.

Non photo-realistic means they can jam a lot more characters on screen at once.  Could be worth the tradeoff.

It is all in the code- the tech is almost there to do this. 

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

Didn't Landmark start as just being EverQuestNext and while developing they felt what they already have could be a game on own? Perhaps I am wrong but that's what I thought actually happend.

So not sure why OP if he feels Landmark is to cartoony for his taste that Next would somehow be different.

Als the chance for the best ingame creation in Landmark to be placed into Everquest Next doesn't really imply EQN will be that different visually.

As said in my own topic I can't put my finger on why I am not into Landmark or NEXT but it's defintily not it's graphics aka stylized Visuals those I actually like and perhaps I am Lucky enough to enjoy other type of games that bring me those stunning realistic Visuals.

Only thing that has me be worried about EQ:N is it being F2P.

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005
    What does cartoony mean? From understanding art everything animated can be called cartoon like. I wish people would quit using that word, it's very nondescriptive.  What this thread should say is I hope that it has an artstyle I enjoy. 
  • SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

Graphics to me just need to be decent.  These graphics aren't bad at all, just lack realism...which is hard for me to get past.  Personally, being that the masses have had concerns regarding the graphics, the lead artist should probably be terminated and find someone else. 

That said, if the gameplay is good, I can get past it.  My guess is they plan for large scale pvp and you need, "cartoony" type of graphics to keep lag down in those situations.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by SirBalin

Graphics to me just need to be decent.  These graphics aren't bad at all, just lack realism...which is hard for me to get past.  

SOE did realism with EQII.  9 years later and it certainly hasn't aged very well.

EQN & EQNL look like Disney & Pixar films to me, and if ya think about it, disney movies decades old still looks good today.

• nerovipus32nerovipus32 Member Posts: 2,735
    The graphics look very pixar/disney, not really my thing.
  • XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

The style it is, was never my big thing, I didn't like WoW's style either, BUT, it comes down to the gameplay for me.  I am playing Landmark right now, and I am fine with it.  I am one of the people that had a look of disbelief when they did the reveal.

I am going to wait until I can play it, to decide.  I am still skeptical of the final product for Next, the non-trinity, very limited non weapon based skills, and then weapon based skills...I will give it a try though, as it would be silly to say I hate it, when I haven't tried it.  I also hope it isn't too casual, which I think it has a great chance of being (for my tastes anyway).

Either way it all works out, I think Landmark and Next will be very successful, even if they are not for me in the end.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

People, OP included, should really stop putting limitations on themselves.

Why not just play the game and then decide if you are having fun or not?

When has a game's excellence been decided by graphics? It's just eye candy. There is little to no substance in graphics. Gameplay has always been the deciding factor of every great MMO.

I don't care what OP 'envisioned' for EQ. If he had such a hard on for how things were in EQ, then he can stick with EQ.

Us true MMO gamers are just excited for a new, fun MMO to sink our teeth into.

• LazzaroLazzaro Member UncommonPosts: 548

I loved stylized graphics; EQN and WildStar are what I like to see in games.

• EcocesEcoces Member UncommonPosts: 879

gameplay > Graphics

ESO has "realistic" graphics but the gameplay is terrible. so if EQnext can give me good gameplay i can look past the more disney style of graphics.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    I say, give it a chance. I am not friend of cartoony graphics at all, and still the visuals of EQN Landmarks of the landscapes have convinced me. It sure is not photorealism, but I didn't feel it was too cartoony. It looks much better in the game than screenshots and videos can show.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert