Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If this game has cartoony graphics, then I'm out. [Graphics Discussion thread]

Comments

• IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by skeaser
    Originally posted by iamjason1989
    Originally posted by Koroshiya
    Originally posted by Laughing-man
    Originally posted by thyraven
    FFXIV is a good example that graphic DOES NOT make a game good, its looks semi realistic but in a shitty way and the game systems is just crap. Id rather have a cartoonish graphic with good animations than bad semi realistic animations.

And now we have FFXIV A realm reborn.

Why do we have to choose between having good gameplay with unimaginative graphic and crappy game with aesthetically pleasing graphic?

Oh really?  FF XiV has complete destruction in its world?  WoW I never knew!

ARR runs on anything now pretty much, I have an old computer sitting around that is almost 6 or more years old and it runs it on standard graphics with 30FPS.

It's graphic style and art direction are far more appealing TO ME, than EQ's.

Which I think is what Jason1989 was trying to say.

I like a lot of the concepts EQnext is presenting, some of them sound iffy and I hope they are done right, but honestly the art style and direction are unappealing to me, and from the looks of it, I'm not alone.

So couldn't they have gone another way with it and maybe still had it run on anything and have all the options this game presents?

I think that is probably possible.

the point being is you can't compare the two engines because they aren't the same engine, they aren't even close because the options available in one isn't even close to the options available in the other.

But we were talking about the art style and the aesthetic of the game, not the engine.

anyway i understand the reason why they chose the cartoonish style but i think it is short sighted and being unimaginative at all.

not if you are talking about how well it runs on machines.  You need to either focus your argument/debate on one subject or learn what each subject means.  Engine will be what determines system resources, not the art style.

My mind is blown by your wisdom.

anyway point is when you show a screenshot of FFXI or XIV you know it is a Final Fantasy game.

When you show a Age of Conan game it spills Conan the barbarian.

You show a WoW screenshot Warcraft players know it is from the same universe.

Then we have EQN which the characters model and the environment share very little similarites to the aesthetic of previous EQ titles.

Which is why they went with Next instead of 3. They want this to be a brand new game in a familiar setting...

Hmm, you made a very good point, i guess SOE is trying to "Reboot" the EQ franchise, a fresh new start.

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    While my initial reaction to the art style is slightly negative, I didn't like the look of Powerpuff Girls in the beginning.  Now it's a favorite cartoon.   Maybe the EQ:N art will grow on me.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• darker70darker70 Member UncommonPosts: 804

I just don't get posts like this if the game play is good,deep,involving does it matter if the graphics are cartoony I would rather have a great game play experience instead of sparkly graphics any day.

And for those young'uns out there one of the best games I ever played was Chaos with it's user defined graphics on the speccy,you know when devs squashed code into 48k just look at the stuff from that era game play wise still hard to beat to this day.

p>
  • mcast1234mcast1234 Member UncommonPosts: 26
    I puked in my mouth a little when I saw the cartoon characters, I swallowed it when I saw the building engine.
  • GrailerGrailer Member UncommonPosts: 893
    Originally posted by Mendel
    While my initial reaction to the art style is slightly negative, I didn't like the look of Powerpuff Girls in the beginning.  Now it's a favorite cartoon.   Maybe the EQ:N art will grow on me.

My first reaction was thinking about all the QQ that will appear when they see its a cartoon .

It doesn't worry me much at all because its being done quite well . I mean don't get me wrong I would've liked non cartoon graphics but tbh I think that would cause the game to run at 5fps .

The facial expressions on the characters is priceless .

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126
    I hated the look of EQ and EQ 2. I love the look of EQN. Nuff said. :)
  • StarIStarI Member UncommonPosts: 987
    won't be ready in 2014 anyway
  • newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    I think the graphics are beautiful. If I have any complaints about EQ:Next, it certainly won't be about how it looks.
  • MardyMardy Member Posts: 2,213
    It's using the same Forgelight engine that Planetside 2 uses.  Which means you'll get amazingly detailed environmental graphics, the particle effects will be amazing, and the sky & lighting will be amazing.  But the downside is the armor details will be very low.  Like in Planetside 2, you can barely make out decals and symbols on people's armors.

EQ1-AC1-DAOC-FFXI-L2-EQ2-WoW-DDO-GW-LoTR-VG-WAR-GW2-ESO

• mmorpg99mmorpg99 Member Posts: 15

This is what happens when you make a game and money grab for the lowest common denominator. 

Wish we could bring back the original Verant team to slap some sense into these guys about the art style.  I'm fine with the game, just the song says, "she's got the look."  Except not... 

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Everyone used to say gameplay over graphics but I guess that is not true, I happen to like the graphics so np here.
    Chamber of Chains
  • StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

Where the hell are some of you getting "PVE" only?

He mentioned PVP in the bloody presentation! When talking about destruction and showing it he talked about how you can imagine "PVP" with that.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Tbh, graphics seemed the weak link to me in the presentation.

BUUUT: the game is yet in early development. It is very difficult to judge how it feels once you play the game. Screenshots and videos only give so much. Finally, if the gameplay is good, I say ok. Not thrilled, but ok.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• newbinatornewbinator Member Posts: 780
    Originally posted by mmorpg99

This is what happens when you make a game and money grab for the lowest common denominator. 

Wish we could bring back the original Verant team to slap some sense into these guys about the art style.  I'm fine with the game, just the song says, "she's got the look."  Except not... 

What is "least common denominator" about the graphics? Just because you personally don't like them?

• GrixxittGrixxitt Member UncommonPosts: 545

I seriously don't know how you can make the landscape so beautiful and have the character models so god-awful. 

You can't say it's the engine because I've played PS2 and the character models, while not completely realistic, are leaps and bounds ahead of this mess.

And then there's the art style in and of itself.

Cartoonish models with the overly embellished WH40k-style armor and weapons seem to be a ploy for children and/or a decidedly non-western audience. Could not have been more disappointed. 

I have no idea why the hell they used that cat race in the presentation, it looked terrible. I mean worse than the sketch art terrible. 

The above is my personal opinion. Anyone displaying a view contrary to my opinion is obviously WRONG and should STHU. (neener neener)

-The MMO Forum Community

• PlumpPlump Member Posts: 10
    the EQnext artstyle feels like a cross between Jade empire and Pixar. I Don't judge a game by the art style only. I don't mind the graphics as long as the game engages me on several levels. It's a welcome change to actually see amazing particle effects, lighting, destructibility and advanced mob AI in the MMO space. Those features alone would make EQnext a must play for me in the grand scheme of all things MMO in today's trash market.
  • IneveraskforthisIneveraskforthis Member Posts: 374
    Originally posted by Vivasvan

i wanted something like the game of thrones, something olden day and medieval... instead of the flipping cartoon caper we are getting.

really.. ffs.  stupid disney smiley graphics... what will the dragon look like? the one out of that cartoon program dr.mcstuffin dragon....

have you seen the nazgul in lord of rings? and then compare to scary things in this game what will they look like.

really really dissapointed on the graphcs which is 80% of the immersion.  why would you do this.. I thought from the leaked screeny the graphics and armour were going to look uber. Instead they will look like disney and the cat people look like something from disneys beauty and the beast. 

sigh... its a shame. 

A witcher like MMO would be amazing.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130
  • SybnalSybnal Member Posts: 261

I don't see why all these games have to degenerate into a graphics vs. gameplay arguement.   Why can't we get both? Seriously, all those saying they'd rather have good gameplay........well DUH!  No f@#$ing s#$t.   No one wants to play a crappy game. They want to play a fun game that looks good too!

The game looks alright might be fun, but honestly, I was hoping for something graphically pleasing as well.  It won't stop me from playing it, but i'd like to see this whole Fisher Price Warcraft look die along with exclamation points for quest givers and faction grinds. 

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
    Originally posted by Kiyoris

NAILED IT

hahahahah

So bad....if they'd fix the character models to NOT look cartoony the game would be a 15/10. Seriously, fix these character models!!! That Art Direction is TERRIBLE!

• mmorpg99mmorpg99 Member Posts: 15
    Originally posted by newbinator
    Originally posted by mmorpg99

What is "least common denominator" about the graphics? Just because you personally don't like them?

It means, that the game is being made to provide to those who probably have less powerful machines.  I understand that rationale, but I'm tired of the money grabs by these big companies. 

Smedley about a year ago had talked about EQNext for the EQ1 player.  I think many EQ1 players probably will be disappointment with the art  direction.  The gameplay, I can work with, but the immersion playing Snow White on my PC is something I can't handle.

I remember when we had this come out as a leak of  concept art about EQNEXT:

I was excited to see a game with the EverQuest lore, class system, and style return to a new age.

Now, I will not play it, and as a EQ1 original vet from 1999.  I cry in disappointment. 

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

There was a lot of awkward silence while he showed the character appearances, especially the lion king character.

As others mentioned, Firiona Vie was disheartening to say the least. Talk about catfish!

• BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461
  • KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

version 2.0

just having fun ~

• SxadanaSxadana Member UncommonPosts: 39
    That art style! when i saw it.... (????)?????