Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

EQN Beta Signup (Closed Down)

Comments

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Maybe they already ran out of spots. Whatever the case, I'm sure MMORPG.COM and 10tonhammer have beta keys too, there's a reason they voted the game Best of Show, they got something in return for it guaranteed.
  • merieke82merieke82 Member Posts: 165
    Originally posted by Adrazahn

The screwed up signup is easy to explain. SOE does multiple beta's, so they create one beta signup app that's configurable rather than create a new web app and database every time. This means you configure a new beta each time, with things like signup and confirmation text, start and end dates, etc. 

Someone was configuring this for EQ Next and EQ Next: Landmark (whatever that is). The config isn't tested or even complete. They likely copied a previous beta (Heart of Fear) as starting point. However, someone out there took the URL from a previous beta, updated the betaId URL parameter to 17 and then 18, and presto, there's the EQN and EQN: Landmark beta signups. Available before anyone at SOE intended. 

I work with highly configurable enterprise software for a living. I'm pretty sure this is what happened. 

The confirmation emails are clearly incomplete. The signup text may not have been vetted, so I wouldn't take the mention of it being a "hardcore mmo" as anything official yet. The end date of 12/31/2013 - who knows. I would think that's more like a rough approximation of the end of the beta period rather than the start. They may be expecting beta to end around that time and will allow signups at any point. Then again maybe it's a temporary date the arbitrarily picked. 

Makes me wonder what beta 17 was supposed to be. Beta 16 appears to have been Dragon's Prophet, then 17 seems to be nothing, then 18 for EQN.

Since we're talking enterprise software here you wouldn't normally expect a number to be skipped. We can assume that 17 has been reserved for something else.

For those not following along we're looking at the image image URLs from the signup page --> https://account.station.sony.com/themes/base/images/betas/18_topImage.png

You can change 18 to other numbers and back into old betas .... the oldest one I can get to is https://account.station.sony.com/themes/base/images/betas/10_topImage.png

After that I can't figure out the naming convention for the pre 10 URLs.

Anyway, none of this matters, but enjoy nonetheless.

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169
    Don't think those who managed to sign up should get theyr hopes up, the confirmation email was quite odd, so id say chances are high that we didnt actually sign up for eqnext beta.
  • fubarbox1fubarbox1 Member UncommonPosts: 27
    Game companies tend to give away items and beta codes at their respective events. We know that those who are not attending can when a Naggy hat (from twitter). So maybe they put up the beta form so that some of those at home could get beta passes along with those who will be getting them at the fan faire....Dare to dream lol :o)
  • thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by Waterlily
    Maybe they already ran out of spots. Whatever the case, I'm sure MMORPG.COM and 10tonhammer have beta keys too, there's a reason they voted the game Best of Show, they got something in return for it guaranteed.

I like this wishful thinking, maybe they were opening the beta up to people that are so into EQN that they watch forums and research the game every hour or so just to happen across early beta signups

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Got an email that said.. Welcome to Beta.. but no other information.

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • Storm_CloudStorm_Cloud Member UncommonPosts: 401

This sucks... I signed up with 17 at the end... Says Everquest Next Landmark, but the confirmation email is EQ1.

The nr 18 one is closed as well... Man, I hope 17 counts still, lol. :)

Nr 18 says Everquest Next without the added "landmark" from 17.

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599
    Hmm, I want to sign up but I don't want to otake the chance that it could somehow screw me up when they "officially" release the beta sign up.
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    It's a placeholder for the beta sign up people it will go live after the reveal.
  • luclinraiderluclinraider Member UncommonPosts: 96

Thedood....why are you saying this isnt the real deal?

It IS SOE's official site.....so not sure why you're trying to pass it off that our SOE accounts are going to be hacked like its a fake site.

Did they mean to actually bring it up...I am not sure, since they brought it down pretty quickly.

I got my sign-up's in, and it gave me a confirmation page.  That was an hour ago, and I can still log into my SOE account, nothing has been hacked or changed >.>

• fubarbox1fubarbox1 Member UncommonPosts: 27

I was not paying attention if it always said this:

Should Should you be selected by SOE to participate in EverQuest Next Landmark’s Beta, we will contact you at this email address. You must read and accept a Beta Testing Agreement prior to participating in the Beta. If your email address changes, be sure to update your Station Account with your updated information to ensure that you receive any future communications about the Beta testing.

Should you be selected and choose to participate in the Beta testing, everything associated with this game testing is considered confidential information, and you may not discuss it with anyone except other players through the EverQuest Next Landmark Beta game testing forum. Your participation in EverQuest Next Landmark’s Beta game testing is subject to the Beta License Agreement

• thedood123thedood123 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Originally posted by luclinraider

Thedood....why are you saying this isnt the real deal?

It IS SOE's official site.....so not sure why you're trying to pass it off that our SOE accounts are going to be hacked like its a fake site.

Did they mean to actually bring it up...I am not sure, since they brought it down pretty quickly.

I got my sign-up's in, and it gave me a confirmation page.  That was an hour ago, and I can still log into my SOE account, nothing has been hacked or changed >.>

Whose not trying to pass it off as the real deal? I made this thread in the first place.

• onlinenow25onlinenow25 Member UncommonPosts: 305

This could be just another attempt at trolling people that are always on their site to build up more hype.

After reading what the video said when you slow it down and actually watching the slowed down portion of it, it wouldn't be far fetched.

• svannsvann Member RarePosts: 2,230
    got mine!
  • William12William12 Member Posts: 680

Could be nothing but.

https://forums.station.sony.com/everquestnext/index.php

why is that weird ?  Normally when you type in a wrong address on the SOE forums you get the www.soe.com page try 

https://forums.station.sony.com/eqn/index.php and it sends you to the soe page but the everquestnext one says forbidden meaning the directory exist on the webserver.

• NodboNNodboN Member UncommonPosts: 50

maybe...  anyone who got in will be able to download the game and play in the background of the panel as they make announcements and stuff. 

i made myself laugh. 

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    The beta email says everquest beta . I am guess they were just testing useing a old beta sign up.
  • MadcaterMadcater Member UncommonPosts: 22
    These will be wiped can almost smell it
  • youtoomeyoutoome Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Dont get in beta...should just die now.
  • waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by keenber
    The beta email says everquest beta . I am guess they were just testing useing a old beta sign up.

Mine said welcome to beta.  The link on the webpage after joining had everquest next beta.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• KrimzinKrimzin Member UncommonPosts: 687

Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by keenber The beta email says everquest beta . I am guess they were just testing useing a old beta sign up.
    Mine said welcome to beta.  The link on the webpage after joining had everquest next beta.

Same thing here.

Just Welcome to Beta

Just because I'm a gamer doesn't mean I drive a Honda.
    Best Duo Ever

Lets see your Battle Stations /r/battlestations
    Battle Station 
  • malratsmalrats Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I seriously can't believe I missed this ugh
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    It was the real deal, typical SoE blunder too.
  • furbansfurbans Member UncommonPosts: 968
    Originally posted by Krimzin

Originally posted by waynejr2

Originally posted by keenber The beta email says everquest beta . I am guess they were just testing useing a old beta sign up.

Same thing here.

Just Welcome to Beta

Question is though in what context are you in the beta.  I have a feeling that those that got in are just in the pool of potential beta testers to select from.  That is if they don't wipe it all since this seems to be a mistake.  A short window to apply doesn't make much sense to me.

• malratsmalrats Member UncommonPosts: 21
    Some guy I know claims he not only got in from this beta signup but is presently playing. He won't share any information whatsoever but I'm somewhat inclined to believe that he's actually playing.