Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brad McQuaid thinks EQ and VG players are going to love it.

Comments

• BordoninBordonin Member UncommonPosts: 7

*phew* it's sure getting tough to read posts on MMORPG these days....  

Where did all the negativity come from?  I've been playing MMO's as much and as long as anyone I know, long before they were called MMO's.  What I want to know is why all the hate?  If they weren't fun would we have dedicated the thousands and thousands of hours???

As for EQ Next, I'm certainly excited.  Enjoyed EQ1 and EQ2 although I never made endgame in EQ2.  I love the lore and the IP and am excited to delve back into it. In fact if Friday's reveal tells us EQN won't be ready for months or years, I will probably join a progression guild in EQ2 or delve into Project 99 for a refresher... :)

Why?  I love MMO game play!  

Give be a big beautiful world, an avatar with a stick and let me beat the crap out of chickens for their feathers with some friends and I'm a happy puppy!  :)  

Played Meridian 59, UO, EQ1, EQ2, WOW, DAOC, Asherons Call, AOC, Warhammer Online, GW1, GW2, Rift, Vanguard, etc....
    Currently waiting for EQnext...

• xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by arcatom
    This is really good news. Two of my favorite MMOs. If the crafting is as fleshed out and robust as the Vanguards was, then I will be a very happy man

More then anything i want to know about the crafting. It the #1 thing for me. If its like VG crafting then ill pre order EQN the first chance i get.

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Originally posted by onlinenow25

You say this yet you Kickstarted a game that is 100% PvP based?

He can't like different features in different contexts?

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Latronus
    Originally posted by Affordable

Two tweets.

Saw a preview of the EQNext intro yesterday. I think EQ and VG players are going to love it!

— Brad McQuaid (@Aradune) July 31, 2013

It has features that Jeff & I wanted to put in EQ & VG (& a bunch of other great ideas) but the tech wasn't there yet. Well, it's there now!

If BM said the sky was blue, I wouldn't believe it until I could verify it myself.  That turd shouldn't ever be allowed near any type software under development EVER!

Then EQ1 would never have existed, and Vanguard wouldn't have been anywhere close to as amazing a game as it is today.

Originally posted by waynejr2

One Word:  Vanguard Next.

Ok, that's two words, but we're talking hype!

Still, I am happy so far about the hype.

I would be more then ok with this LOL.

• isslingissling Member UncommonPosts: 162
    I sure hope he is right:) Since I have gotten home from work and have had a couple beers to unwind, I am just wondering if Titan was pushed back because of EQN and did you see that pic they posted on their Facebook page about permadeath:) Just thought I would stir the pot;)
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Vanguard was a shining gem in a sea of AAA shit.

Brad, despite everything that happened, can do no wrong in my book. If he's being honest, then we may be in for a real treat. I assume at LEAST he's referring to a seamless world.

Originally posted by keenber
    Originally posted by bcbully
    VG had FFA!

He said things we wanted to put into VG but couldn't because of the tech not what was in VG.

Food for thought, some of the things that got cut were, boats between continents, naval and flying combat, guild vs guild territory control war areas set on islands in the middle of the ocean, dynamic weather that impacted spells...

So... perhaps we're there.

Ahh yes. The things that were goin to be in VG but never made it.

I remember reading that a druid spell could make you boat go faster. Things impacted the world around you. Shame VG never got to see its true potential.

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by Vonatar
    Brad's on the SOE payroll, so why anyone would think his opinion of EQN is anything other than marketing is beyond me.

exactly, why is this any different than the hype from smed? its no different.

• LacedOpiumLacedOpium Member EpicPosts: 2,327
    Originally posted by Bordonin

*phew* it's sure getting tough to read posts on MMORPG these days....  

Where did all the negativity come from?  I've been playing MMO's as much and as long as anyone I know, long before they were called MMO's.  What I want to know is why all the hate?  If they weren't fun would we have dedicated the thousands and thousands of hours???

As for EQ Next, I'm certainly excited.  Enjoyed EQ1 and EQ2 although I never made endgame in EQ2.  I love the lore and the IP and am excited to delve back into it. In fact if Friday's reveal tells us EQN won't be ready for months or years, I will probably join a progression guild in EQ2 or delve into Project 99 for a refresher... :)

Why?  I love MMO game play!  

Give be a big beautiful world, an avatar with a stick and let me beat the crap out of chickens for their feathers with some friends and I'm a happy puppy!  :)  

Joined MMORPG in 2003 and the hype in EQN elicited your first post?

Now that's epic!

• azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402
    Originally posted by bcbully
    VG had FFA!

He said things we wanted to put into VG but couldn't because of the tech not what was in VG.

Food for thought, some of the things that got cut were, boats between continents, naval and flying combat, guild vs guild territory control war areas set on islands in the middle of the ocean, dynamic weather that impacted spells...

So... perhaps we're there.

Beside the weather impacting spells, the rest sound like what Smedley said they want to do for Planetside 2 and what fall in their 3 years plans. They even want to turn it into a seamless planet (that if the tech support it). Considering that PS2 use EQN engine, I guess we can expect similar goals down the road.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614

Two tweets.

Saw a preview of the EQNext intro yesterday. I think EQ and VG players are going to love it!

It has features that Jeff & I wanted to put in EQ & VG (& a bunch of other great ideas) but the tech wasn't there yet. Well, it's there now!

This makes me REALLY excited and hopeful!!

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

I do not even have words to express how creepy and weird it is to see so many people e-orgasming over a game with barely any kind of info released yet.

And it´s only going to get worse, because once they release the "information" and probably a trailer to go with it, everyone and his mom is going to believe every cliche´d epic sentence and statement about how awesome everything is,  and talk of it as fact til the beta.

Then, and upon realizing that, while a decent game, perhaps it´s not all what was promised, they are going to use the typical "It´s a beta, its not the full game and a lot is going to be introduced in future phases" card.

And then.....

Well, i do not need to explain it, it has been happening for how many years now?

Since the beginning of advertising.  But you probably knew that already.

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

The association of Brad McQuack in any way, shape or form with EQN makes want to vomit.   Him even making comments about it taints the game with his idiocy.   He's one of those people that needs to be forever banned from doing or saying anything at all related to video games.  This is the man that, lied to both his fans and his own staff about pretty much every single aspect of vanguard and completely wasted the opportunity to make a AAA mmo due to his outdated and retarded personal beliefs.  

Keep him the hell away from EQN.   Just because SOE cleaned up the seeping mess that he made of Vanguard and made it playable enough to actually launch doesn't validate him in any way. 

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

@arieste

That's a lot of vitriol. What did he do, exactly?

Originally posted by NagelRitter

@arieste

There was a lot of stuff, you can google most of it.  Throughout Vanguard's development he was personally involved in hyping the game up all the time - he told WoW fans that it was the game for them, he told EQ1 fans that it was the game for them, he told the hardcore that it was hardcore and he told the casual that it was "for everyone".  If you followed Vanguard beta forums it was like watching a rabid fanboy that has no idea about his game and it just yelling "it's the best, it's the best" at everyone.  Most of things he said turned out to be false.   

He had a bit of a history because he was heavily involved in EQ1 and had a lot of people's respect.  Unfortunately he didn't realize that EQ1 was 10 years before vanguard and that games had evolved since.  He was basically trying to remake EQ1 while completely ignoring new technologies and changing player preferences.    He also ended up driving the development of the game into the ground so that SOE (of all people) had to come in and rescue it (by buying and funding the remaining development so it was able to launch rather than just scrapped).   He also handled all this in an extremely douchebaggy way that resulted in his entire staff being screwed over.

I don't remember most of the details anymore, but people that were paying attention were quite sickened.  I'm surprised he's even still around the industry after the awful - and well publically documented - mess he made.

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO

• StrommStromm Member Posts: 243

Two tweets.

This is a great shock to me. A paid SOE employee with a long and very personal interest in the franchise predicts its success and popularity? I would have never guessed.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by arieste

The association of Brad McQuack in any way, shape or form with EQN makes want to vomit.   Him even making comments about it taints the game with his idiocy.   He's one of those people that needs to be forever banned from doing or saying anything at all related to video games.  This is the man that, lied to both his fans and his own staff about pretty much every single aspect of vanguard and completely wasted the opportunity to make a AAA mmo due to his outdated and retarded personal beliefs.  

Keep him the hell away from EQN.   Just because SOE cleaned up the seeping mess that he made of Vanguard and made it playable enough to actually launch doesn't validate him in any way. 

People make mistakes.  I see you played EQ go thank him for the creative genius he helped design and create.  Everyone makes mistakes.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Brad joined the EQN team a few weeks ago when he finished on defiant mmo.

You're mixing Brad with Domino my friend.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Originally posted by Margulis
    Brad joined the EQN team a few weeks ago when he finished on defiant mmo.

You're mixing Brad with Domino my friend.

Ya brad is officially working on EQ1 not EQN.

Originally posted by William12

People make mistakes.  I see you played EQ go thank him for the creative genius he helped design and create.  Everyone makes mistakes.

That is true, but in that light his endorsement kind of becomes less than worthless...

Originally posted by NagelRitter

@arieste

There was a lot of stuff, you can google most of it.  Throughout Vanguard's development he was personally involved in hyping the game up all the time - he told WoW fans that it was the game for them, he told EQ1 fans that it was the game for them, he told the hardcore that it was hardcore and he told the casual that it was "for everyone".  If you followed Vanguard beta forums it was like watching a rabid fanboy that has no idea about his game and it just yelling "it's the best, it's the best" at everyone.  Most of things he said turned out to be false.   

He had a bit of a history because he was heavily involved in EQ1 and had a lot of people's respect.  Unfortunately he didn't realize that EQ1 was 10 years before vanguard and that games had evolved since.  He was basically trying to remake EQ1 while completely ignoring new technologies and changing player preferences.    He also ended up driving the development of the game into the ground so that SOE (of all people) had to come in and rescue it (by buying and funding the remaining development so it was able to launch rather than just scrapped).   He also handled all this in an extremely douchebaggy way that resulted in his entire staff being screwed over.

I don't remember most of the details anymore, but people that were paying attention were quite sickened.  I'm surprised he's even still around the industry after the awful - and well publically documented - mess he made.

This is fairly inaccurate.

Vanguard's initial financial woes came from the fact that Microsoft, the company funding it, changed management and new management didn't want to make an MMO.

Most of the trouble was derived from the fact that he hired a lot of talented people with huge egos who spent more time arguing than working.

He talked a lot about Vanguard, but thats because he had a big vision for it. People in the game in early alpha and beta witnessed most of the things he was talking about functioning in the game, the issue is it never functioned well enough to last. As time and funds ran out, the features got cut.

It wasn't Brad's fault that SoE bought out Sigil and then fired everyone. SoE had incentive to dismantle Vanguard, as a successful Vanguard would have cannibalized their playerbase.

You know, George Lucas created Star Wars and I'm eternally thankful.  He is also a terrible film-maker that has almost single-handedly destroyed the franchise since.   I thank god that he's no longer involved in it.  So yeah, i'm thankful that Brad McQuaid, 20 years ago or w/e had some hand in shaping a game i never liked, but that nonetheless is responsible for popularizing the genre i love.  As long as his involvement remains limited to EQ1, he's only doing harm to its population and no one else.   All i'm saying is - keep him there.

- Raph Koster

You know, George Lucas created Star Wars and I'm eternally thankful.  He is also a terrible film-maker that has almost single-handedly destroyed the franchise since.   I thank god that he's no longer involved in it.  So yeah, i'm thankful that Brad McQuaid, 20 years ago or w/e had some hand in shaping a game i never liked, but that nonetheless is responsible for popularizing the genre i love.  As long as his involvement remains limited to EQ1, he's only doing harm to its population and no one else.   All i'm saying is - keep him there.

What reason would there be to keep him there? He's a game design genius.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

It wasn't Brad's fault that SoE bought out Sigil and then fired everyone. SoE had incentive to dismantle Vanguard, as a successful Vanguard would have cannibalized their playerbase.

I agree SOE gave weak support but doubt it was with any agenda

if SOE wanted to doom  Vanguard - SOE could have declined the initial publishing assistance after Microsoft dumped Sigil

for context,

the transition from microsoft to soe (as co-publisher) happened in may 2006

http://internetgames.about.com/b/2006/05/07/vanguard-moves-from-microsoft-to-soe.htm

this was well after Blizzard had *crushed* EQ for subs

What reason would there be to keep him there? He's a game design genius.

He (so i head) WAS "a game design genius" 20 years ago.  If Vanguard proved anything it was that the man had learned absolutely nothing in the 10 year span between EQ1 and Vanguard and that any vision or genius he ever had was firmly rooted in a decade-outdated concepts.  

- Raph Koster