Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No minimap and insta travel

YoungCaesarYoungCaesar Member UncommonPosts: 326
Who would like an MMORPG with these characteristics? It would help tons with immersion and making it a real world, an unnescesary hassle for others... No ingame map with a marker for your toon so you can actually get lost, altho you would get a compass or something and a regular map

Comments

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by YoungCaesar
    Who would like an MMORPG with these characteristics? It would help tons with immersion and making it a real world, an unnescesary hassle for others... No ingame map with a marker for your toon so you can actually get lost, altho you would get a compass or something and a regular map

Not me.

I don't play games for a real world. i play games to escape from one.

Reading a map is trivial, easy, no challenge, and not my idea of fun gameplay. Heck, back in the Might & Magic days, i had to draw my own map. That does not really make the game more fun.

I would much rather jump to deep combat.

• Mr_MechanicalMr_Mechanical Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

Not me.

Reading a map is trivial, easy, no challenge, and not my idea of fun gameplay. Heck, back in the Might & Magic days, i had to draw my own map. That does not really make the game more fun.

If all you want is deep combat and insta-fun with no meaningful connection to other players.... why don't you go (after school, of course) to the corner arcade?      

Why don't you buy a console and any one of the crop of high-combat value games?

Why do you go to forums?  There's just people here... nothing you're interested in.  No exciting combat either.

You have a VERY high post count.... you're deluding yourself into thinking you don't like social interaction.

• Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848

Does the game give me my intuitive sense of direction of my immediate surroundings? If you want to get lost, why stop at mini-map. Play in complete darkness with only torchlight or lanterns to light your way.

Originally posted by Mr_Mechanical

Not me.

If all you want is deep combat and insta-fun with no meaningful connection to other players.... why don't you go (after school, of course) to the corner arcade?      

Why don't you buy a console and any one of the crop of high-combat value games?

Why do you go to forums?  There's just people here... nothing you're interested in.  No exciting combat either.

You have a VERY high post count.... you're deluding yourself into thinking you don't like social interaction.

Who says i don't play console games? Who says i only play MMOs?

There are MMOs that have good combat & story missions. For example,  marvel heroes have good combat (although not as polished as D3 & WOW).

Do you think i will be here if  all MMOs are only social, and if the MMO market is not catering to my preferences?

• TazlorTazlor Member UncommonPosts: 864
    Am I the only one who realizes we live in a real world? I never understood this want for a living, breathing world online. Step outside and you've got a living, breathing world.
  • Shadowguy64Shadowguy64 Member Posts: 848
    Originally posted by Tazlor
    Am I the only one who realizes we live in a real world? I never understood this want for a living, breathing world online. Step outside and you've got a living, breathing world.

No, I think I saw some other guy about 2 months ago that realized it as well... :-)

Originally posted by Tazlor

A virtual world sounds good, but it is not necessarily more fun.

Personally i prefer a good game than a living breathing virtual world. If i want such a thing, i would be playing Second Life.

The only reason i am on this forum is that MMOs have been becoming better games over the year. I wouldn't waste my time if they are all like UO and EQ.

• sunshadow21sunshadow21 Member UncommonPosts: 357
    While I think insta travel is something that should be at best rare, the minimap at it most basic is necessary to counter the lack of the other senses to help players figure out where they are and what is around them. Personally I would keep both the map and the minimap simple, with the ingame ability to develop specialized markers beyond the basic environment. That way, those who truly want all of the markers and arrows still have a way to get them, and those who don't can ignore their presence entirely if they so desire. Insta travel should be similar; there does need to be dev provided insta travel between the major cities/hubs, but beyond that, any insta travel needs to be something ran by and sustained by player action, not something simply handed out by the devs.

The only reason i am on this forum is that MMOs have been becoming better games over the year. I wouldn't waste my time if they are all like UO and EQ.

That's great, but you seem to fail to understand that some people still want worlds, not just multi player optional games. Just like you wouldnt waste your time with UO or EQ, many people are getting frustrated that no one is making a UO or EQ, and so they no longer have a place they can enjoy.

Originally posted by sunshadow21

That's great, but you seem to fail to understand that some people still want worlds, not just multi player optional games. Just like you wouldnt waste your time with UO or EQ, many people are getting frustrated that no one is making a UO or EQ, and so they no longer have a place they can enjoy.

Which part did i fail to understand others want something different?

The OP ask "Who would like an MMORPG with these characteristics?" in his first post.

I answered truthfully for myself, as he asked. I did not imply others have the same preference.

On top of that, my preference is just as valid as others since they are just preferences for games.

And so what if others cannot find games they like. Vote with more of your money. I don't decide what is being made. The market does. I don't see why i should not state my preference, just like anyone else.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

I could probably live without a minimap, but I'd have to have a compass and a regular 'M' key map. I've never really had fun in any game getting lost.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

You're describing Mortal Online at launch, except there was no compass and no "regular map" either !

You navigated by the familiar shapes of the terrain and the skyline, and because you recognised landmarks. At night it was actually possible to navigate by the constellations in the sky. Pity the game was such a trainwreck, it had some good ideas.

Which part did i fail to understand others want something different?

The OP ask "Who would like an MMORPG with these characteristics?" in his first post.

I answered truthfully for myself, as he asked. I did not imply others have the same preference.

On top of that, my preference is just as valid as others since they are just preferences for games.

And so what if others cannot find games they like. Vote with more of your money. I don't decide what is being made. The market does. I don't see why i should not state my preference, just like anyone else.

The problem is you don't just state it, you go out of your way to argue that anything but your way is never going to happen again because people like you have saturated the market so everyone else needs to get over it. That is where the problem arises; you argue everything must be always about money first, foremost, and only, and that niche markets aren't worth the effort. Simply stating your preferences and moving on would not be nearly the problem as the constant "but the market says niche sucks" support you use to back them up.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Yes it would make sense but ,i like to add the ability of being a Cartographer to make your own map with markers.

Insta travel is ok if done right,like a mage with magical powers should be the ONLY way to travel.Every class,should have it's own unique ability.

Minimaps ,have been a complete waste of time and space,i never use them.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

The problem is you don't just state it, you go out of your way to argue that anything but your way is never going to happen again because people like you have saturated the market so everyone else needs to get over it. That is where the problem arises; you argue everything must be always about money first, foremost, and only, and that niche markets aren't worth the effort. Simply stating your preferences and moving on would not be nearly the problem as the constant "but the market says niche sucks" support you use to back them up.

I made no such statement. I did say the market decide, which is true.

And if the statement in red is true, shouldn't people be getting over it?

And again, whatever the market is producing has nothing to do with my preference. I see no problem in stating them.

I also see no problem in stating what i think the market will do. It is not like i am the only one who is doing that.

And if you have a problem, you can always ignore my post.

Originally posted by Wizardry

Minimaps ,have been a complete waste of time and space,i never use them.

And lots of others do. In fact, putting a arrow in there is SO popular that Blizz has to add that in WOW (after everyone is using an add-on).

So it is not a waste of time & space. If you don't like it .. you don't have to use it, as you have stated. Choices are good. Choices that are used by many players are even better.

[mod edit]

• RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785

Insta and high speed flying travel does hurt a sense of space and immersion. But no minimap is dumb and not realistic at all.

Mapping our territory is one of the first things a civilization does. If people like the OP had been in charge of ancient societies they would have all been eaten by bears and died of thirst. "Sorry, no maps, you figure it out."

A few people map out an area and give estimates of how far away various things are, where things are safe and so on. Then you add to this the fact that most of the MMO's we play have massive cities with political systems, armies, trade routes and so on, we are then asked to believe that until we showed up, no one had made a map . . . really.

Also, have you ever traveled anywhere? Like to another city? When you arrive at the airport do they not have maps of every type imaginable?  The first things people in our world do is put a freakin' map in your hand when you go somewhere you're not familiar with. You know why? So you won't get lost and die in a gutter, and so that you won't bother people constantly about where things are. And when you ask "Ou est Champs Elysees?" They will point to it on your map! So it's not weird to have NPC's tell you where things are.

Now, if you want to do away with Neverwinter style ground trail, I'm all for that. And what I'm even more for is quests that aren't necessarily direction based. Instead of saying, "Hey this evil necromancer lives in that cave. go kill him!" Why not have NPC's say, "There's a necromancer raiding the dead in this region, we have to put a stop to it!" You get the quest to kill the necro but you have to figure out where he is, so you find other NPC and notes or corpse trails that demonstrate or hint at the fact that there was a crypt inside cave in the area. And you put two and two together and understand that corpses are kept in crypts, and you want to find that cave! Yay!  This way, the map is still useful as a map, for identifying where you're going, but it isn't solving quests for you which I believe was the actual issue and not the existence of maps.

Originally posted by Rusque

Now, if you want to do away with Neverwinter style ground trail, I'm all for that. And what I'm even more for is quests that aren't necessarily direction based. Instead of saying, "Hey this evil necromancer lives in that cave. go kill him!" Why not have NPC's say, "There's a necromancer raiding the dead in this region, we have to put a stop to it!" You get the quest to kill the necro but you have to figure out where he is, so you find other NPC and notes or corpse trails that demonstrate or hint at the fact that there was a crypt inside cave in the area. And you put two and two together and understand that corpses are kept in crypts, and you want to find that cave! Yay!  This way, the map is still useful as a map, for identifying where you're going, but it isn't solving quests for you which I believe was the actual issue and not the existence of maps.

What if the player don't want to figure out where he is, but only want the combat challenge?

The popularity of LFD instanced dungeons seem to indicate that people would even do away the following of the arrow, and like to jump to where the action is.

[mod edit]

Im simply stating that instead of always using the market as your excuse, it would be helpful to expand your base arguments. And for middle ground, its always worth considering implementations that satisfy more than one view; even when they likely wouldn't work in practice, theorycrafting can be useful in the formation of new ideas and implementations if approached correctly. Like with the minimaps, its possible to implement a basic minimap that players could work to upgrade with the markers they personally want. Those who want the basic environment don't have their toes stepped on, and those who want the markers can have them; both sides win. Or having devs provide insta travel between cities, but everything else must be provided by the players. Or in the case of FFA pvp, something like EVE's security ratings. That is the kind of middle ground I'm talking about. Often, a simple adjustment in implementation can turn an unpopular idea into the next biggest thing.

Originally posted by Rusque

What if the player don't want to figure out where he is, but only want the combat challenge?

The popularity of LFD instanced dungeons seem to indicate that people would even do away the following of the arrow, and like to jump to where the action is.

So give people the option to develop their own LFD type tool and markers, or at the very least optional. Just don't make it a default assumption that everyone has to put up with if they want to use the minimap for basic maneuvering.

Im simply stating that instead of always using the market as your excuse, it would be helpful to expand your base arguments. And for middle ground, its always worth considering implementations that satisfy more than one view;

Excuse of what?

I don't apologize for what i like. I don't force that on others either.

And the market does decide. Do you deny most games do have mini-maps? Isn't that a fact?

If someone want the market to satisfy their view, well, trying to convert me is barking up the wrong tree. Vote with more of your money. No one is changing minds here.

So give people the option to develop their own LFD type tool and markers, or at the very least optional. Just don't make it a default assumption that everyone has to put up with if they want to use the minimap for basic maneuvering.

It is already optional. No one forces you to use it. The fact that many do .. is just showing how popular the LFD choice is.

• wormedwormed Member UncommonPosts: 472

I agree with OP. I'm totally ok with learning the world and being apart of it as I play. For the people who are all, "go outside! There's a real world!", yes but the whole point of a FANTASY roleplaying game is that it ISN'T reality. You aren't going outside to fly a dragon, or kill an orc. 

Let's also be clear, I care almost nothing for story, lore or roleplaying, but I am definitely sick and tired of games becoming trivialized idiot-proof garbage that appeal to young children and morons. Why can't games be difficult again? If it's too difficult for people they'll either learn and adapt or fall away. That's ok with me.

• OzivoisOzivois Member UncommonPosts: 598

No mini map would make things feel more dangerous, real and mysterious. Just a compass. I got lost all of the time in EQ, and had a hell of a time finding my corpse if I died in a forest... good stuff.

Dungeon mini maps shouldn't exist either but you should be able to have some kind of bread-crumb trail to help you know where you have been.