Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Confirmed: No chat bubbles

DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697

For any of you who missed this article, it seems that Zenimax team finds that roleplaying is enhanced by staring at the chat window in the corner of your screen, instead of having chat bubbles.

As if they didn't learn anything from SWTOR. Trying to talk to the person standing next to you, by looking at the chat box, while general chat or city hub chat goes rampant is an achievement by itself.

Also, possibility that someone will look at the chatbox while you are running next to him in an open world and warning him about enemy patrol incoming is non-existant.

Thanks Zenimax. You can scratch me off the list of potential customers.

Comments

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

Chat bubbles was the deal breaker for you? Incredible xD

I understand your point, though it could be irritating trying to read a long post in a chat bubble only to have it fade away, leaving you looking at the chatbox anyways.

Most chatboxes have different channels you can set to it, i dont see this as a real issue honestly.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• DeniZgDeniZg Member UncommonPosts: 697
    Originally posted by Toxia

I understand your point, though it could be irritating trying to read a long post in a chat bubble only to have it fade away, leaving you looking at the chatbox anyways.

Most chatboxes have different channels you can set to it, i dont see this as a real issue honestly.

I know that my opening post was a bit over dramatic, but I'd rather not play a game where I have to stare at the corner of the screen instead of really playing and communicating with other players. There will be other new and interesting MMO's available on the market at that time, so no big deal actually.

Also, if a developer can not implement chat bubbles, you have to ask yourself, are they capable of creating a decent MMORPG? (see Bioware example).

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Somewhat annoying but really not a big deal. It is however weird that they don't implement it since it is so easy and require almost no work.
  • TyserieTyserie Member UncommonPosts: 155
    Originally posted by DeniZg

For any of you who missed this article, it seems that Zenimax team finds that roleplaying is enhanced by staring at the chat window in the corner of your screen, instead of having chat bubbles.

As if they didn't learn anything from SWTOR. Trying to talk to the person standing next to you, by looking at the chat box, while general chat or city hub chat goes rampant is an achievement by itself.

Also, possibility that someone will look at the chatbox while you are running next to him in an open world and warning him about enemy patrol incoming is non-existant.

I see your point man. Its not game breaking, but its definitely true what you did write.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I know that my opening post was a bit over dramatic, but I'd rather not play a game where I have to stare at the corner of the screen instead of really playing and communicating with other players. There will be other new and interesting MMO's available on the market at that time, so no big deal actually.

Also, if a developer can not implement chat bubbles, you have to ask yourself, are they capable of creating a decent MMORPG? (see Bioware example).

The highlighted is where i get abit confused. For any modern mmo these days, your are moving and pumping buttons so much its quite a task just to stop and chat atall. GW2 being my experience. When i was learning things we just stopped before a boss room or pile of trash mobs and talked about how we'd wanna handle it, then go at it. I rarely had time to stop mid fight and chat.

And then there's the whole thing of what if people are behind you and such, out of field of view, etc. Still back to looking at the darn chatbox.

But yeah, i do agree, it doesnt seem to be something that would be hard to implement for those that want it. little toggle switch and we're off! Maybe they dont want to put resources towards it. who the fuck knows right?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844

eh.

It just tells alot about the peeps who are working with this project.

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I find chat bubbles very distracting as I set up channels and the reason is that if you come to a place with like even ten people talking you are seeing all these bubbles covering your screen but I perfectly understand that options to have them turned on or off should be in every game as different people enjoy different modes of chatting. Of course it is not a deal breaker for me personally.
    Chamber of Chains
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

The highlighted is where i get abit confused. For any modern mmo these days, your are moving and pumping buttons so much its quite a task just to stop and chat atall. GW2 being my experience. When i was learning things we just stopped before a boss room or pile of trash mobs and talked about how we'd wanna handle it, then go at it. I rarely had time to stop mid fight and chat.

And then there's the whole thing of what if people are behind you and such, out of field of view, etc. Still back to looking at the darn chatbox.

But yeah, i do agree, it doesnt seem to be something that would be hard to implement for those that want it. little toggle switch and we're off! Maybe they dont want to put resources towards it. who the fuck knows right?

It's definitely different in MMOs these days. There is very noticeable lack of chatting--unless you count the annoying "general" channel where people discuss everything but the game. Typed chat of all sorts--bubbles or not--is dying.

Kudos to any MMO developers who recognize that talking is best and they integrate a robust voice chat system into the game. I'm particularly impressed with what SOE (of all people!) have done with Planetside 2. It has multiple chat channels built in: private, squad, platoon, proximity, etc. 

I know some people are still voice shy in MMOs but that's where the technology is heading. I'd be very surprised if this feature is not also built-in EQ Next.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by daveyjonez

[mod edit]

There is no door as the game isn't out yet , invisible door ?

Anyway count me out too then , I didn't really want to play a fantasy MMO again but I was going to give ESO a go , but I already have SWTOR ( without chat bubbles ) and don't need a fantasy MMO without them. All the other MMO's iv'e played had them in , apart from Defiance. They do enhance an MMO. So will EQNext have them ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888

Shame about chat bubbles. Even if it's not often needed, it's a good way to ask "Hi, could I join the group?", or ask other person if he's waiting for same spawn, or some other game related thing.

I hope they'll at least implement "Look at your chat log, I'm trying to talk to you" -emote to the game.

• SaiGodJinSaiGodJin Member Posts: 22
    great if we dont have bubble chat ..it look so cartoonish and weird
  • NoLifeNerd20NoLifeNerd20 Member Posts: 15
    I feel chat bubbles belong in games like imvu not ESO. I like an earlier post about the voices, would be cool for sure. Im personally going to stick to with teamspeak or skype to communicate. Since it does not sound like a voice chat system is going to be in at launch.
  • SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

So you have gone from a hardcore fan who saw nothing wrong with what ZeniMax is doing with TESO to "not playing now blah blah" and because of the lack of chat bubbles lol. Don't use chat bubble as your excuse for a quick exit because you got carried away with the hype.

As for chat bubbles, who wants loads of chat bubble in the air, that's more distracting that having to read the chat box.

• keithiankeithian Member UncommonPosts: 3,191
    Originally posted by SavageHorizon

So you have gone from a hardcore fan who saw nothing wrong with what ZeniMax is doing with TESO to "not playing now blah blah" and because of the lack of chat bubbles lol. Don't use chat bubble as your excuse for a quick exit because you got carried away with the hype.

As for chat bubbles, who wants loads of chat bubble in the air, that's more distracting that having to read the chat box.

I remember playing WOW raids and thinking I cant see who is talking to me so chat bubbles would be nice, then I played a game with them and I found it very distracting, blocking things on the screen, and then they would disappear or too many people would be chatting and then I couldn't tell the order of the conversation, thus reverting to the chat box. As long as the chat box is customizable so I can create a party channel and eliminate all the other channels, I don't need chat bubbles. Most of the time I use Vent, Mumble, etc anyway. I finally agree with something you wrote.

I don't know why though they just don't make it an option for those who like that chaos. I always feel the more setting options for people to tinker with, the better.

There Is Always Hope!

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Bad news indeed. I too HATE this fixation of that THRICE DAMN text box in the lower left corner. When I have friends I meet online, I want to chat with them in /say without always STARING on the spam-ridden text window.

Not a deal breaker, but for me at last a BIG letdown.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679

So not having a chat bubble is a deal breaker?

I suppose everyone has different things he considers important and thats cool.

I personally would feel too limited to not be able to speak to Guild members or send tells to friends who are not with me or how about lfg or trade channels yeah i need them all limiting myself to chat bubbles would kill the fun for me.

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138
    I don't understand devs anymore.  Give as many options as possible to your customers and let them decide how they want to play
  • DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

Customizable chat tabs pretty much make this a moot point. Maybe you should learn to use them? As for chat bubbles I hated how they cluttered the screen in busy areas in SWG so I toggled them off. Won't be missed by me.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• dauntSilverdauntSilver Member Posts: 146
    "Staring at the corner of the screen"... I have never had that bother me tbh. In fact, I never find myself "staring".. I know how to read like the vast majority of MMO players..
  • lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    I have no plans on playing this game, even with or without chat bubbles.
    Chat bubbles make sense though. They can be activated by a diffent chat command, like /say or similar. Without polluting regular chat.
    Maybe they plan something different. Would be nice to see more games have DayZ's chat system. All chat is range dependant. No need to type, voice is integrated. Just have to wait and see, but I think it would work well for RP.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

What I would really like to see is voice translation that made the voice fit the race of the character.  So an orc would sound like an orc, troll, ogre, barbarian, fae, froglock, etc.  Technology is getting to the place that could happen.   Another advantage of a system like that would that it filters out background noise.  The character only says words.  No more listening to the dogs bark, the kids scream, or the drunken uncle telling stories in the background.

That would be awesome. Love the idea.

It's like a voice version of the new tech some have been working on that recognizes facial expressions and duplicates them on your character.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• NagelRitterNagelRitter Member Posts: 607
    Tbh, I really do think integrated Voice Chat aka DayZ is the future.

Favorite MMO: Vanilla WoW
    Currently playing: GW2, EVE
    Excited for: Wildstar, maybe?

• ZzadZzad Member UncommonPosts: 1,401

You would be surprised to know how may people find that a "deal breaker".

GW2 launched without chat bubbles and had to add it afterwards for the big cry.

When you are standing to another character and you want to talk and you don´t see a chat bubble.... u really miss it.

Not that the game is not going to be a good game because it lacks it....but it will not feel as natural for me.

Oh well.....i guess they will end up implementing it anyway.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

I guess Zenimax is going for the anti-roleplaying, anti-social crowd in their game.  "It's an MMORPG!, but you won't actually interact much, for your safety!"

SWTOR had some huge roleplay mechanisms in place, but chat-bubbles hurt that game immensely (along with a horrid graphics engine).

I would have thought that devs know by now people like to live inside the game, not outside it.

Single player games can be fun, but without sufficient interaction, this game will die like SWTOR did .. or GW2 for that matter, though to a lesser extent.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Brabbit1987Brabbit1987 Member UncommonPosts: 782

Chat bubbles? It's fine with or without.

Honestly though, I imagine the decision was made because it just wouldn't fit well with The Elder Scrolls.

Just as others have said, I can't see why that would be such a big deal to not have them. I realize chat bubbles are an mmo thing, but can you imagine chat bubbles in an Elder scrolls game? They like to keep UI minimal, so it's really no surprise.

Most players who play Elder Scrolls like the minimal UI. How do I know? The modding community. I always see mods being made to make the UI less intrusive. It's rare you see anyone add to it.