Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Don't let this game pass you by

Comments

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by rmackner
    Originally posted by tkreep

WoW is pretty old school, it came out in 2004, almost 10 years now.  And most of the themepark features came along with that game and EQ2 so yes majority of the themepark features are old school.  What I would consider modern are GW2, Tera, Neverwinter style gameplay.

Old school themepark as in classic wow had quest hubs every 10 levels or so and as you run out / waiting for more quest to open you were forced to grind or group. New school themepark is quest hubs non stop till level cap and no social interaction is need till endgame.

So basically your saying FFXIV is old school.

• rmacknerrmackner Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Soki123
    Some posters really need to go outside, it s just a damn game.

OR maybe people are just pissed off at all the trash that's getting released and all the sheep that eat it up.

Sorry to say, but you re too obsessed over a game. I personally like the idea of sandbox games, but I really enjoy FFXIV as well. Weird how that is, some people like something you don t.

I never said the game was bad it just doesn't bring anything new to the genre, as a ffxi vet it didn't attempt to crossover all the good ideas from that game that still has people playing it to this day and because of this I fear it will suffer the same fate as SWTOR/warhammer/rift/ect.

It doesn t have to add anything new at all. If it does everything well, which what I ve seen it does, why does it have to invent stuff. FFXI was one of my fave games ever, but it did a lot of things wrong too. Waiting in Jeuno for hours, yelling to get groups for stuff you had to do to even advance your level, is, IMO, a bad design. I loved and hated that about XL. That said, times are changing, a lot of people have less time to be able to put to MMOs, and thus MMOs are changing. FFXIV is one of the only MMOs since oW I ve played, that actually feels like it s a world, and not a lobby. That alone is all I need.

Thing is everyone said the same thing as you for every game released since wow and look what happened to them all. Trial and error in this current market should teach you all if you bring nothing new to the table have fun with you -500k subs because everyone is going back to wow. No matter if you like it or not when you make a themepark mmo you are competing for wows subs and id bet half your player base will have came from wow or played wow. Now think like a current themepark mmo lover; Why should i play the same old game over and over if it brings nothing new and my old game (wow) has way more content. Also everything you stated about ffxi forced you to be social with your fellow players, now tell me one thing in ffxiv that will force you till be social (and fates aren't social at all). Now how many people do you think stayed with ffxi because of the gameplay or because it forced you to be social and make friends? 

WoW is pretty old school, it came out in 2004, almost 10 years now.  And most of the themepark features came along with that game and EQ2 so yes majority of the themepark features are old school.  What I would consider modern are GW2, Tera, Neverwinter style gameplay.

Old school themepark as in classic wow had quest hubs every 10 levels or so and as you run out / waiting for more quest to open you were forced to grind or group. New school themepark is quest hubs non stop till level cap and no social interaction is need till endgame.

How so? FFXIV has quest hubs non stop till level cap and doesn't force you to grind or explore to find new areas to quest in.

Originally posted by drivendawn
    Originally posted by ZenTaoYingYang

everyone that keep saying, " been there , done that" should not play FFXIV period for the simple reason , YOU ARE probably done with MMOs.

this game is ofcourse by the book, but they do everything right and add to that the FF feel that we missed since FF9.

on top of that , there are many MAJOR elements that have not been yet implemented, such as PVP! ( a whole new progression system) , Housing. end game instances/raids etc... those are really major elements that can make the game go up the roof or down the hill. so please pass your judgment after Open beta the earliest.

all in all, my prediction  currently is only based on the following:

1- most of whom played the beta with the minimum content available already have withdrawal syndromes, and not only liked the game but loved it.

2- Yoshida is not about promised, he did have a good resume behind him, take only V1.0 and what he done with it by having it fixed and on top of it made version 2.0 , this is something no other dev have done before , and he did succeed in it.

so I think FFXIV will be a solid game, not yet game of the year ( need to wait on the other elements). but to call it a failure is clearly an unjustifiable opinion.

You mean everyone is done with themepark mmos and with all the sandbox games coming out it seems like the market might make a shift away from the model ffxiv is based off.

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

Well sorry but what true sandbox has not been a nitch game besides Eve online. I would somewhat agree if you said Sandpark.

Take a look at all the games that will be released in the next year or so. Most of them are sandbox type games and since minecraft showed us all this model may work for the mainstream the market might make a shift to more sandbox type games pretty soon.

• Lavitz0813Lavitz0813 Member Posts: 5

Its amazing the people complaining are obviously the one who haven't done research into the game.  There are reasons why they do everything a certain way. Please go find out why that is.  The prominent one is the combat system.  Yes, its slower.  Why is that?  They made it with a global cooldown to help with the console players.  Remember this isn't just a PC title. PS3 members also play the same servers. Thus the have to balance CD times.  If you are unhappy with that, then level and get the proper gear which lowers your GCD.  Simple.

The other complaint is "oh its just Tab 1,2,3,4. This will also pan itself out as you level. After level 15 you can introduce more attacks and spells from other classes into your Hot Bars. Plus you have class attacks and later after 30 you can get your "Job" which will also change the combat aspect of things.  You will use more then 4 a skills. I promise. 

How so? FFXIV has quest hubs non stop till level cap and doesn't force you to grind or explore to find new areas to quest in.

Beta testers have been complaining they run out of quests every few levels especially after 14-15 and having to do guildhests and fates to gain experience points.  On top of that the main story forces you to do two different dungeons in a row to progress at levels 16-18 and than more past 20 like the ifrit fight.  Also when you level another class you cant redo the same quests again so you have to do guildhests and fates. 

Beta testers have been complaining they run out of quests every few levels especially after 14-15 and having to do guildhests and fates to gain experience points.  On top of that the main story forces you to do two different dungeons in a row to progress at levels 16-18 and than more past 20 like the ifrit fight.  Also when you level another class you cant redo the same quests again so you have to do guildhests and fates. 

I was wonder what you would do to level another job in the game and that sounds like really bad game design for a themepark mmo. Also those are themepark events to level your job in classic wow you had to grind on mobs to make it to the next quest hub tier.

I was wonder what you would do to level another job in the game and that sounds like really bad game design for a themepark mmo. Also those are themepark events to level your job in classic wow you had to grind on mobs to make it to the next quest hub tier.

When i played in beta everything I did was all mixed, meaning I did fates when I ran into them on my way to a quest objective and did guild leves and guildhests as many as I could while I was in that quest area/hub and did the regular quests in the mix of all that so it never felt like a grind and it didnt take long to gain levels like classic mmos pre-WoW.  And getting into groups for the dungeons never takes long because of the group finder system it has.  The first two dungeons are easy.  Basically unlike some beta testers I never felt like I was running out of quests since I was doing every kind of content the game threw at me. 

So first you say that it has to many quests then you say this? So not having may quests only works in sandbox games?

Say what? I said that you have quests or events to do till end game and don't need to make friends to do any of them.

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558

So first you say that it has to many quests then you say this? So not having may quests only works in sandbox games?

Say what? I said that you have quests or events to do till end game and don't need to make friends to do any of them.

You do realize a lot of the quests take you into content meant for 4+ people right. Have you played this at all. Besides how would you now what end game and beyond is, when you could play to level 35?

You do realize a lot of the quests take you into content meant for 4+ people right. Have you played this at all. Besides how would you now what end game and beyond is, when you could play to level 35?

optional group quests 

optional group quests 

You re really reaching aren t you. So tell me what level 35+ is like, I really want to know.

optional group quests 

You re really reaching aren t you. So tell me what level 35+ is like, I really want to know.

No one knows yet but you can only assume its going to be more quest hubs, dungeons and fates. Unless you think  the themepark stops at 35 and we all go back to forced groupings its going to be the same as every other mmo.

Also crazy that about of fate you guys have in square since they don't really have a good track record and FFXI was pretty low as far as support/content went.
    I think you guys need to play ffxi for a bit then come back and comment on the game. The world, music, jobs, lore, HNM/NM, cities, crafting, missions and the leveling process all were tons more immersive then the ffxiv. It's like they forgot everything that made ffxi a good game for all these years and went with less of a risk with a generic themepark.
  • DaxamarDaxamar Member UncommonPosts: 593
    I think you guys need to play ffxi for a bit then come back and comment on the game. The world, music, jobs, lore, HNM/NM, cities, crafting, missions and the leveling process all were tons more immersive then the ffxiv. It's like they forgot everything that made ffxi a good game for all these years and went with less of a risk with a generic themepark.

I see. The problem is I want to play ff14. The game I beta, the game I pre ordered, the game I like.

Also crazy that about of fate you guys have in square since they don't really have a good track record and FFXI was pretty low as far as support/content went.

How do they not have a good track record? they made some of the most iconic games and characters in the industry.  Im not saying they are perfect because they have made some mistakes (version 1.0) but its nothing compared to companies like SOE or Funcom.  Also did those companies ever come out and apologize and admit they made a shitty game then let you play it for free while they rebuild the whole game from scratch than let all the original players come back for free without having to buy another box?  As far as FF11 goes it had like 5 expansion packs and 4 major content updates.  And it has 22 different Classes with all the expansions combined.  Thats pretty good considering it was their first mmo. Also its still a p2p mmo and its older than all the games that have gone free to play.

Played it many years. It s funny how you keep dumping your opinion as a fact. Look I think FFXI is a great game, as a matter of fact I have a sub for it as we speak, but I can appreciate both games for what they do. FFXIV is a better game in many ways then XI is, and vice versa. If you don t like it, great, just don t pass your opinions off as facts.

• striderbobstriderbob Member UncommonPosts: 174

I'm not really sure how any of that is more immersive. Sitting for hours camping HNM/NM? Immersive? Cities were zones just like they are in XIV, crafting there really wasn't any immersion, you just press the craft button and let it craft, whereas with XIV you do a lot more than that. Being forced to party and grind the same camp for hours isn't immersive at all.

XI was good at the time, and kept me entertained for several years, but XI in this age would do terrible.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by neobahamut20

As a potential customer, this game passed by already.  They refuse to fix the major complaints, the biggest of which was combat, hiding behind the "it's not for everyone" excuse. Any company that talks like that to a potential customer doesn't care enough about their product to have me buy it. When I hear something is not for everyone I automatically simplify, to me, it sounds like I'm being told only a sucker would buy that crap. Sure, the game doesn't look like crap, but if you plan on using a product long-term the company behind it has to has at least a minimum standard. If they do not believe they have the best game out there, they have no standards.

Now you're probably over-reacting and saying "well i-i-i-im not a sucker and I wanna buy it". Well truth be told, if they need  to tell people that a game isn't for everyone, eg. even for people without a PC, or people without broadband, or people with no interest in gaming, it means they think you are a sucker. You could have figured that out for yourself that not everyone can play this game, so why are they saying that? Because they want to make you feel inadequate if you don't buy their product, but even with that, they can't even focus on the client, potential client, YOU, only on everyone else. So if you think for a second, you quickly realize that they aren't making the game for you, they are making a game so that you can give them your money and make their shareholders happy. 

This game has never been about the gamer.

K bye!

• Black-MagicBlack-Magic Member UncommonPosts: 103

Personally I think that its going to be a decent game. All my mates who played the Beta say its fun and all that jazz. Also the fact that the forums arnt slamming the game means that there is potential as well!

• ChocobroChocobro Member Posts: 64
    Originally posted by striderbob

I'm not really sure how any of that is more immersive. Sitting for hours camping HNM/NM? Immersive? Cities were zones just like they are in XIV, crafting there really wasn't any immersion, you just press the craft button and let it craft, whereas with XIV you do a lot more than that. Being forced to party and grind the same camp for hours isn't immersive at all.

XI was good at the time, and kept me entertained for several years, but XI in this age would do terrible.

rmackner seems to be suffering from the good 'ol nastolgia googles,

FF14 ain't perfect, no game is. It has its flaws and I wish they would have done a few thing different, but I like the game for what it is, the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. That is why I pre-ordered the game after I had the chance to play it. 

But my opinion don't matter since I must be a fanboy who will defend a game I like (lol seriously?) and the ones with only negetivity should be taken as gospel.

• XarusXarus Member Posts: 40

Really? A new expansion just came out with Two new jobs (Runefencer and Geomancer) and a ton of new content.   Seekers of  Adoulin.... let me see if I can get this all off the top of my head. Zilart,COP,Treasures,Wings and Seekers + 6 DLC content updates Seem like a fair bit of support to me. 

I still have an active FFXI account you can find me on Valefor, I am a Day 1 player who has never canceled my sub. I have also been in the Beta test and must ask exactly what you are talking about? FFXIV is leagues ahead of XI in every single aspect, I have Every job in XI to 99 (all skills capped) except Geomancer which is currently 87 but I can remember when it would have taken me MONTHS to get to 75 leveling in the Lab or Sky.  Final Fantasy XI gave you a real sense of accomplishment which is why I never left I played several other MMOS and still do today but FFXI has been my main MMO for 11 Years. 

Everything in Xi is faithfully represented here only on a much grander stage, Some Jobs are missing but I am sure they will eventually make their way into the game. You want  a sub job? no problem level some other classes and toss some abilities on your main and you are good to go. You want to craft? It is much more fun and immersive in XIV.  You want PvP? I would be willing to bet you a years free sub that whatever Yoshi- P tosses at us for XIV will be much better than Ballista in XI. If you want to grind for levels guess what, the option is still there and its actually pretty fun just killing enemies with a group of friends in XIV.

The only things not in XIV from XI at the moment (Besides certain jobs) are Dynamis,Limbus,Abyssea (which ruined the game), VWNM and world spawn NMS with HORRIBLE windows....... God I can remember some of my JP friends calling me at 4am .... Bikuto san Bikuto San the Khimera popped....... I camped my PLD there for a YEAR..... not a month A YEAR. Gotta be honest some of the stuff that is not there I wont miss. Also if you have been keeping up with the information a lot of it sounds very familiar...... Crystal tower with more levels to come in future expansions ....... Nyzule Isle floor 100 (Yes Please). The only thing I want from this game that is missing is my Aegis shield..... god I would love to see that in this engine.  Maybe make the gorgons snakes move on the shield....... 

Long story short  FFXIV is so far beyond XI that responding to you is making me feel like I just got Trolled x1000. 

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193

As a 1.0 CE purchases and subscriber, I don't think I have anything to worry about. I get ARR free of charge and I believe I also get a free month with it to see whether it's for me or not.

Looking forward to Phase 4, as I hear they won't wipe the open beta characters.

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Originally posted by Xarus

Really? A new expansion just came out with Two new jobs (Runefencer and Geomancer) and a ton of new content.   Seekers of  Adoulin.... let me see if I can get this all off the top of my head. Zilart,COP,Treasures,Wings and Seekers + 6 DLC content updates Seem like a fair bit of support to me. 

I still have an active FFXI account you can find me on Valefor, I am a Day 1 player who has never canceled my sub. I have also been in the Beta test and must ask exactly what you are talking about? FFXIV is leagues ahead of XI in every single aspect, I have Every job in XI to 99 (all skills capped) except Geomancer which is currently 87 but I can remember when it would have taken me MONTHS to get to 75 leveling in the Lab or Sky.  Final Fantasy XI gave you a real sense of accomplishment which is why I never left I played several other MMOS and still do today but FFXI has been my main MMO for 11 Years. 

Everything in Xi is faithfully represented here only on a much grander stage, Some Jobs are missing but I am sure they will eventually make their way into the game. You want  a sub job? no problem level some other classes and toss some abilities on your main and you are good to go. You want to craft? It is much more fun and immersive in XIV.  You want PvP? I would be willing to bet you a years free sub that whatever Yoshi- P tosses at us for XIV will be much better than Ballista in XI. If you want to grind for levels guess what, the option is still there and its actually pretty fun just killing enemies with a group of friends in XIV.

The only things not in XIV from XI at the moment (Besides certain jobs) are Dynamis,Limbus,Abyssea (which ruined the game), VWNM and world spawn NMS with HORRIBLE windows....... God I can remember some of my JP friends calling me at 4am .... Bikuto san Bikuto San the Khimera popped....... I camped my PLD there for a YEAR..... not a month A YEAR. Gotta be honest some of the stuff that is not there I wont miss. Also if you have been keeping up with the information a lot of it sounds very familiar...... Crystal tower with more levels to come in future expansions ....... Nyzule Isle floor 100 (Yes Please). The only thing I want from this game that is missing is my Aegis shield..... god I would love to see that in this engine.  Maybe make the gorgons snakes move on the shield....... 

Long story short  FFXIV is so far beyond XI that responding to you is making me feel like I just got Trolled x1000. 

Don't forget the absolute worst part about ffxi....loljobs.  I loved ffxi, played it for about 6 years, but I hated how utterly useless most classes were endgame.  DD? SAM Heals? RDM Tank? PLD Magic DD? Lol who uses those except in situational fights?

Blah.