Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: Five Things We Don’t Want in EverQuest Next

Comments

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Agree with you on all points but Most definitely#3. Zones are ok but I disagree with you on fast travel.  I dislike the fact that certain classes have the ability to fast travel I feel everyone should have the option.  Asheron's Call has fast travel for everyone and it in no way makes the world feel smaller.  It gives the players options for traveling to where they need too but it also allows those of us like me who enjoy running to where we need to go.

Besides for fast travel to work, the player needs to actually travel there once.  I would also add the stipulation that someone can not use a portal from another till the player travels there for himself too.  It sort of forces exploration which is what MMO's should be about.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• ninjagrannyninjagranny Member Posts: 25

Great list although id add

No Race after Iksar

No mounts

No evil erudites ( they just didnt fit really)

zoning i can live with  - just :) 

Alchol abuse needs to come back - nekked drunk running was superb fun .

Not sure about instancing - it seems to ruin most other games UNLESS you have to walk there / get a party to get there 

God I loved EQ1 - from beta till i decided to stop due to the dumbing down -  I had an SBH ;) early on and I was awesome as i could actually kill whisps outside BB - no xp just did it  cos at last i could ... 

GOD I LOVED THAT GAME  - up to  Kunark ( minus the hole) it has never been bettered or even anything come close ..

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I am good with the list, but like someone mentioned, I am fine with dungeons being a single zone, and keeping the train type mechanics.  Zone crossing has improved and on a decent computer/connection they can be made into more of a stutter, guess you could put in a mechanic that dungeon dwellers would not go beyond the dungeon entrance (have to make sure this is not exploitable, or entrance mobs are exempt, so people do not use this mechanic to cheaply kill entrance mobs).

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Grrl

It really doesn't matter what you guys want to be added in or not to be added in. The developers do what they want, period. 

As a matter of fact, even if faes or instancing/zoning are in the game, you will still play it regardless.

Quit whining.

Not true for everyone bubba!  Everyone has there own "deal Breakers" when it comes to MMO's and I am unsure if any of those are on the OP's list.  I suspect maybe they aren't but I doubt if hardly anyone would play EQN if every signle point the OP makes is in EQN. 

None of those are deal breakers for me, except maybe the linear aspects.  I do have a couple of deal breakers though that aren't on this list.  If Everquest Next features Multi Hotbar (i.e. 6 bars of abilities) or Tab Target Combat I will not play.  I can possibly handle only 1 of these, but including both are an automatic deal breaker for me.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

Meant to say we stil have chats about EQ and corpse runs and llrod and drwning in surefall or dropping in on the elves ;)
    If  faes are in it that would stop me playing but your partially correct they will do what they want and most people will give it  a try . There are a few more things that would stop me as I don't want to ruin the memory of the best game ever
  • Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    Originally posted by Mordred1
    Personally, I don't care much for MMORPG stories. They put a cap on character freedom and ultimately, they make me feel less engaged.

Amen to that.  MMOs should have backstories, not storylines to follow.

Pre-frickin'-cisely. You guys are talking about what should be the difference between a single-player game and an MMO. But many developers think this is a must now for some reason. If they took all that time and money they spend on personal storylines (something that should be personal), and worked on aspects of the game people are really calling for, they might be successful. How about giving us more tools for social interaction with those in the world around us, instead of leading us by a leash?

• KingAlkaiserKingAlkaiser Member UncommonPosts: 57

as long as it is not easy mode i see full win in my book.

I am sick and tired of over casual games and mmorpg.

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680
    Thank god its only your opinion.  I wouldn't mind instances in a limited form.  If 90% of the game is open and 10% instances i can live with that.
  • SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315
    I do NOT want to see an auction house in this game. EC tunnel was one of the absolute best places for social interaction in any game I have ever played.
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    P.S. the word used "We" in the title does not seem to be holding up by the posts I had read here =-)
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,606
    Originally posted by Sithos
    I do NOT want to see an auction house in this game. EC tunnel was one of the absolute best places for social interaction in any game I have ever played.

Fail. Yup was lots of fun yelling for hours and hours trying to sell items. I cant think of a better use of my free time then yelling WTS. Hmmm teaming would be a better use of my time and much more social. 

• VoqarVoqar Member UncommonPosts: 510

I loved EQ but I would not include myself in your "we" and I'd imagine lots of people have ideas about what they want and don't want in EQN.

I hope the don't listen to people like the dude that wrote this.

It won't matter much anyways if they go with F2P, since F2P sucks and is the worst thing to happen to MMORPGs.

You will never, ever, recapture the spirit of the old school MMORPGs with F2P because you will never develop a community worth a crap, get players invested in the game, and when players buy their way thru games the game loses all meaning.  One big thing the older (and tougher) MMORPGs gave you was a deep sense of accomplishment because you didn't have everything handed to you on an ez-mode platter, and you didn't get epic rewards for every trivial little thing you did.

F2P takes things way beyond the ez-mode that many newer MMORPGs provide, in that if you can buy your way thru games, with pay to win, or worse, with company facilitated currency exchange (ie, Chinese gold farming/buying provided by the host company, aka cheating), then the losers partaking have no sense of accomplishment, and it demeans the accomplishments of the people who actually play the game.

I've read conflicting reports.  I read an article/interview by Smedley saying they were going to do P2P for as long as possible but people here say EQN is going to be F2P.

If EQN is going to be F2P, then it's not even worth discussing except in the sense of "what could have been" because F2P is trash and no F2P MMO will ever amount to anything except a sideshow diversion.

Premium MMORPGs do not feature built-in cheating via cash for gold pay 2 win. PLAY to win or don't play.

• Sajman01Sajman01 Member Posts: 204
    Originally posted by Antarious

No 2 makes me laugh because an Iconic Folklore type creature breaking immersion in a "Fantasy" setting.. has to be a joke...

The only thing I personally don't agree with is the "instance" point.   The last thing I want to see in a new game... is 2000 people standing around in a place full of "epic danger" with absolutely no danger.. because everything is dead.

That is one of the most immersive breaking things in MMO's for me.   "Oh look a dungeon full of adventurers... and nothing else.."   Altho I guess that's a good argument for FFA PvP...  

That's what the Giant is there for. One ambitous, young adventure pulls him to the dock and watches as he procedes to kill 20 people and the entire zone is turned into a frantic nightmare.

Man, I miss Oasis.

• LichmorgeLichmorge Member Posts: 8

"Add a giant to a newbie zone. Toss in a werewolf to a sleepy rural town. Make the skeletones maraud on halloween. Be cruel to create immersion."

THIS!  YES! 

"It's my wish that SOE, even if they add in story elements, reign it back. Don't make me special. I don't want to be the chosen one. I don't want to be the savior. I want the choice to be ordinary. To be a farmer. A blacksmith. A warrior of note. Maybe even an absolute coward. These are the choices that MMORPGs bestow amongst players, and these are the choices that, I feel, the original EQ came bundled with."

YES, AGAIN!

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Who's "we"

I played EQ for 13 years and instancing delivered the best expansions bar none.

LDON, OOW (Proving grounds trials + pizza instances), DON, DOD.

They were THE best expansions.

Instances are GREAT if you do them right.

:D

I don't prefer zonning but instances are nice.  That doesn't mean I don't want open world bosses or raids.  I do want those.

No cash shops.

Having a very large world is important to me.

The marine bells and eq2 early zones around towns were annoying.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Ehhh, quiet news week is it? :P
  • frizzlepicklefrizzlepickle Member Posts: 72
    I agree with everything on this list but number 5 (Which I only agree with 75%) Instances need to exist to some degree. Permanent changing events need to be balanced out with fairness because often only the top guilds get to have any effect and everyone else just get to enjoy the consequences of other players actions.

• intrinscintrinsc Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Sorry to burst your first point, but if EQN wants good hardcore raiding there will have to be instances for them.
  • SithosSithos Member UncommonPosts: 315
    Originally posted by intrinsc
    Sorry to burst your first point, but if EQN wants good hardcore raiding there will have to be instances for them.

Have to agree with this. As much as I loved racing to Naggy/Vox when they spawned,trying to beat Guild_00 there. In this day and age to many players will get their feelings hurt if they don't get to kill UberDragon_01.

• grifjgrifj Member Posts: 110
    Great article!  Couldn't agree more with this.  Bring back challenge.  Bring back long travel times.  Make a world that feels huge again.  Bring back non-instanced dungeons.  Bring back groups!  Bring back a world where you play the game, not the UI (so limit the maps).  I want to sit in a dungeon again for 5 hours camping rare items.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Gaeluian
    I happen to like instanced zones. Once  you're in, it's yours and no one can mess with it.

Good, there are dozens of other games you can play then. Though I'm not sure the MMo genre is really what you're looking for.

• AsamofAsamof Member UncommonPosts: 824

Sorry but the Fae, much like Blood Elves, bring in the 2kewl4school tryhards. If it's a beautiful tragic anti-hero race, then it WILL be the most played. That's where the big money is, and we all know SOE loves the $$$. 

Not only is it a guarantee that they will make a return, but they will be featured prominently in all the marketing campaigns for EQN. 

• grifjgrifj Member Posts: 110

Why do people want instanced dungeons?  Go play Skyrim if you want a dungeon all to yourself.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

I agree completely with Adam.

No damn FAE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! stupid faery bastards!!  The only good Fae is a dead Fae.

Yes to boats! YES!!! I've been screaming at SOE since they broke them in EQ1 to bring them back.

No instances, instances are the devils work.

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.