Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: Five Things We Don’t Want in EverQuest Next

Comments

• jimdandy26jimdandy26 Member Posts: 527
    Can we add the reams of people that already believe the game is the best thing since sliced bread based on little to no information?

I did battle with ignorance today, and ignorance won.

To exercise power costs effort and demands courage. That is why so many fail to assert rights to which they are perfectly entitled - because a right is a kind of power but they are too lazy or too cowardly to exercise it. The virtues which cloak these faults are called patience and forbearance.

• VorpalChicken28VorpalChicken28 Member UncommonPosts: 348
    Originally posted by Astraeis
    Region locking should have been in the list at number one.

100% behind this, EQ was fun due to the mix of differant people playing!

“Nevertheless, the human brain, which survives by hoping from one second to another, will always endeavor to put off the moment of truth. Moist” 
    ― Terry PratchettMaking Money
  • xAPOCxxAPOCx Member UncommonPosts: 869
    Originally posted by sirphobos

I'm fine with instances, I just don't want them used to an extent that they are in pretty much every MMO.  There are simply some things you can do in an instance that you can't do in an open world zone, but they definitely need to be used sparingly.

Things I don't want to see include tiered content, multiple difficulty levels of the same content, reused content, and a linear progression path that every single character follows.

such as?

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by xAPOCx
    Originally posted by sirphobos

I'm fine with instances, I just don't want them used to an extent that they are in pretty much every MMO.  There are simply some things you can do in an instance that you can't do in an open world zone, but they definitely need to be used sparingly.

Things I don't want to see include tiered content, multiple difficulty levels of the same content, reused content, and a linear progression path that every single character follows.

such as?

Create massive dungeon expansions like LDON, DOD and DON. Something that is completely impossible without instancing.

• feyrbandfeyrband Member Posts: 28
    i also hate frogs the way you hate fae, but i wouldn't wish them to be removed, as that would prevent me from slaughtering endless numbers of them.
  • achesomaachesoma Member RarePosts: 1,725
    Originally posted by jimdandy26
    Can we add the reams of people that already believe the game is the best thing since sliced bread based on little to no information?

But..but...Smed said "SANDBOX!!!" 

I agree with list except Fae don't bother me.  And are people really hatin' on Ratonga? Oh NO YOU DI'INT!  I actually like Ratonga, though I believe they'd look better in more stylized graphics. 

Preaching Pantheon to People at PAX  PAX East 2018 Day 4 - YouTube
  • AcorniaAcornia Member UncommonPosts: 273

Please no early EQ type raid system where mobs are on timers and guilds fighting/backstabbing each other to get the raid boss.

Do not give us easy mode sugar coated zones to play in.  Make us use our heads and fear for our lives as we run on foot for 30 to 45 minutes across a zone type area just to get where I need to go.

Do not change how the game is played once the game goes live.  You have been through this once before (a long time ago, in a game far, far away) that is even effecting how some gamers view your company even today.

Do not lie to us gamers.  If you say that something is going to be in the game, it had better be there.  To many companies have said that X, Y, Z will be in the game and when the game goes live they are not there.

• MaquiameMaquiame Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

You might as well remove that map Adam since my beloved Erudites won't be in the game. Ah poor Odus, you are  not deemed necessary anymore because why make a unique Erudite when a brown color selected human will do just as good in the character creator.

My dreams of creating a kickass Idris Elba looking Erudite of course are no longer possible, so I guess I'll just make a Kerra now.

Hate Brad all you want but at least the man could get varied human races right.

How bout a "Touchy subject article on the lack of and shrinking racial diversity in human race selections and locations in todays mmos?"

*frowns and rolls his eyes on the fact that the EQ1 Erudites will be nowhere to be seen*

Any mmo worth its salt should be like a good prostitute when it comes to its game world- One hell of a faker, and a damn good shaker!

• Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69
    I wholeheartedly agree with everything on this list. Many of these items have gone missing, which is why I don't play much of any MMO anymore.
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I didn't mind zoning

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• Mordred1Mordred1 Member UncommonPosts: 84
    Personally, I don't care much for MMORPG stories. They put a cap on character freedom and ultimately, they make me feel less engaged.

Amen to that.  MMOs should have backstories, not storylines to follow.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I have to agree most with "no zoning or instancing" it just kills it for me in mmorpgs. I reinstalled GW2 after maybe about 6 months break yesterday and just could not take the zoning, it kills it for me apparently. I never think it as such a big bad, but when I face the zoning in a mmorpg a huge feeling of dissapointment takes a hold on me.

It's fine if I travel through a portal to a different land or dimension/whatever, and on similar situations, but when I'm on my foot exploring the land, there better be no invisible walls of loading because the game feels way too much like "just a game" after that.

• ragz45ragz45 Member UncommonPosts: 810
    agree with your list Minus the Fae also.  I actually really enjoyed the Fae as a race.
  • VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Top of the list what I would not want in eqnext is pvp.
  • aspekxaspekx Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    you have a problem with a very long standing traditional element of fantasy 'the fae', but not frog-people...ya, well at least we know you dont think too linearly.

"There are at least two kinds of games.
    One could be called finite, the other infinite.
    A finite game is played for the purpose of winning,
    an infinite game for the purpose of continuing play."
    Finite and Infinite Games, James Carse

• Lowfer69Lowfer69 Member UncommonPosts: 65

I agree with this list. I don't really care about the Fae. No dragon people though. The Sarnak and Iksar are fine, even the Drakkin are acceptable. No further iterations of dragon peoples please :-)  

This game has to have a more old school hardcore feel to it. If it's the same ole same ole quest hub to quest hub, Good and Evil route to solo lvl cap just won't be acceptable. We as a fan base have seen it enough. WoW clones will not succeed anymore, accept it and move on. Please!

I love Norrath and want to go back and experience stories like the ones I still tell from my EQ 1 days.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Article lost all credibility with your childish anti-Fae comments. Really?

• apocolusterapocoluster Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    I've come to the conclusion that I really do not have any standards what so ever. Ill play what ever Sony gives me.

No matter how cynical you become, its never enough to keep up - Lily Tomlin

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by Four0Six

Funny thing about "fantasy fans", we are all racist.

Yup. you hate Fae, I hate Elves.

Bringing me to the conclusion that I agree with your list, except the restriction on Fae. I just don't see how including this or excluding that race has any effect on game play. If done correctly any "race" should fit.

Research the lessor god Pan a bit, before you cast a "childish" light on Fae.

and i hate dwarves.

we musn't have dwarves either! totaly logical, since i don't like em!

[/sarcasm]

so, only logical conclusion, we only get humans inagem, would you like that? seriousl?

doubt it. so just cut it and leave your personal favors out of stuff.

silly people

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• red_cruiserred_cruiser Member UncommonPosts: 486
    Tastes like purple!
  • rk401rk401 Member Posts: 1
    1st game for me was eqof, it was the best game for me, the feeling of finding new towns, connecting them, or running around with out a map but jsut with a compas.  and  asking others how to find a specific boss or a mob for a quest, because npc would say something like, "go south east to the cave, then take a road to the north and kill those white owls you find somewhere over there!"  just this made the in game world so huge for me. i understand that one who plays 20 hours per day will learn every rock and bush in the game but it feels like an acomplishment. or those epic  daily weekly monthly boss spawns, go and camp them, with pvp you can kill the other camper. those little things i cant find in other games, everyone just gives  everything to you on a plate, way too easy.  i want no map in eqn, just a compas )) and weekly monthly boss spawns.
  • ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

The first half of the list is good, the second half of the list is terrible starting with the Fae. I didn't play a Fae in EQ2 but it didn't break my immersion, I mean who was I to assume Fae don't belong in a medieval almost aurthurian high fantasy setting? They seem to fit perfectly fine, and at this point people are gonna want to play what they played in previous games, that includes Fae. Just because you don't like them doesn't mean other people should have to be left out due to your personal tastes.

Personal story adds a lot for me, and for many players to connect to a world and our characters with choices laid out. Most people want to be a hero and do something to give them the sense of doing that. Rather than scrapping personal storylines from the game, why not allow you to make the choices in it to be completely boring and ordinary, bad, or good? That's another thing that's just a personal preference and nothing more.

• munx4555munx4555 Member Posts: 169
    Originally posted by Gaeluian
    I happen to like instanced zones. Once  you're in, it's yours and no one can mess with it.

Personally I miss the good old days of "TRAIIIIIIN!!" in crushbones, these kinda things made the overall game more lively to me, and when you actually had to fight people for a spawn it ment alot more when you finally got it.

Still remeber camping raster for 72 hours straight :p

• Iceman8235Iceman8235 Member UncommonPosts: 205
    good list, but i have no opinion on the fae.
  • GrrlGrrl Member UncommonPosts: 354

It really doesn't matter what you guys want to be added in or not to be added in. The developers do what they want, period. 

As a matter of fact, even if faes or instancing/zoning are in the game, you will still play it regardless.

Quit whining.