Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] EverQuest Next: Five Things We Don’t Want in EverQuest Next

Comments

• DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    agree with that list, we don't want any of that and also no dumbing down please
  • BearKnightBearKnight Member CommonPosts: 461

Reason #1 Nailed it, and you nailed it hard. You nailed it so hard you should make an adult movie about it.

:)

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

I'd add "no absolutely horrible character models / faces."

EQ2 had and still has IMO the absolutely most hideous player models in existence.

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    I want a game with more choices, not fewer.  All races and classes should be in at this point.  I don't mind zones as much as I mind instances.  Limited use of instancing is fine, but few games ever keep it limited.  Like a previous poster stated, I want 60% sandbox and 40% themepark.  When I'm in the mood, I will make my own story and when I'm in the mood, I want a nicely written professional story.  Make the world open ended and you won't be forced to do one or the other, which means you have to allow progression for both play styles if you are going to cater to them at all.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Dang, i do agree on the Fae.. So non epic, partying with a Fae that uses a mini 2 handed sword and does more damage then my huge axe wielding barbarian

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    Also no FFA PvP of any kind please. PvPers turn community into shite in no time.
  • VengerVenger Member UncommonPosts: 1,309
    Good list I'd add ffa pvp and consentual pvp servers.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686

I disagree on the story part, its better to have linear stories then no stories at all...

Story and lore are the reason that i am an explorer in the first place, and epic quests are still the most fun way to tell those stories.

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• ArakaziArakazi Member UncommonPosts: 911
    No rat people or frogs and vanity pets please!
  • PalinrirPalinrir Member UncommonPosts: 15

Instead of the Fae part, you probably should have put something along the lines of boring crafting, maybe something in reference to a combat style, etc. 

I know personally I would prefer the game be skill based with no classes. I might be okay if they took a different approach to classes, like made a class into some sort of guild you could join after reaching a certain level in some skills. Maybe even make it a title for players to receive after a certain skill level is reached, or just make AA skills based in different "class" roles. On that note, I'd actually be perfectly fine if I have to choose a class, but in AA I'm able to gain some skills in from other classes. ( I doubt this will happen, it's just something I'd like to see.)

• MasterfuzzfuzzMasterfuzzfuzz Member Posts: 169
    Fae and Ratonga. Stupidest races I've ever played in an MMO. Except maybe those badgers from Tera...
  • ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Fae suck

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• SavageHorizonSavageHorizon Member EpicPosts: 3,466

I agree with the whole list, i think some people are confusing zones with instances.

No instanced dungeons or instancing zones just separate servers and every body on that server sharing that persistent world with you. This allows everyone to get to know all the people on your server and to forge proper alliances with guilds.

You knew who was who on your own server in EQ.

• KiyorisKiyoris Member RarePosts: 2,130

Change "we" to "I" if you please. Instances are fun.

Originally posted by Masterfuzzfuzz
    Fae and Ratonga. Stupidest races I've ever played in an MMO. Except maybe those badgers from Tera...

Fae yes but Ratonga i can't agree with.

• AlcuinAlcuin Member UncommonPosts: 331

I agree with this list, but can you imagine the effect on trains in EQ1?

"TRAIN!"

Zone lines made for a safe haven, and avoiding trains in Blackburrow to make it to either zone line could be quite fun.

I can imagine a seamless EQ1 with trains leading all over the world...

... gnolls from Blackburrow crossing the Karanas to meet up with their cousins in Highpass.

That unforgettable agro was intense! 

Originally posted by Kiyoris

Change "we" to "I" if you please. Instances are fun.

Open dungeons are fun especially if they are actually done right. Instanced dungeons today are 2-3 hours game play if that. Some dungeons in vanguard take days to complete, dungeons within dungeons that span many levels and have many races inside.

I'm not even talking about raiding dungeons but group dungeons that would be more like raiding dungeons in some of the pathetic excuses for dungeons in recent mmo's.

Over 100 non instanced dungeons with some being vast.

Don't get me wrong because i did rate LDON highly  but i still prefer non instanced dungeons where meeting random people was part of the lure.

• shad515shad515 Member UncommonPosts: 10

I agree with no zoning, but the game needs to have a phasing system to keep 5000 people from standing in the same spot.

I disagree with instances because an instance provides a great place to complete a difficult quest without other players bothering you.

I agree with the large world and teleporting. The more area to explore means more enjoyment and creativiity for the player.

I disagree with the elmination of any race because race did not play any role in the outcome of the game. I did not hate any race enough to keep it from a game. I say let people play the types of race they want to play.

I agree with the no story on rails. Let the player experience that game as he or she wants to experience it.

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    I agree with most of this but I do like a story.  However, the story needs to be a world story that we all experience instead of every one of us playing the protagonist in the story.  Also I want a lot to do besides just combat.
  • quseioquseio Member UncommonPosts: 234

my big do not want is the  dead beaten horse  of huge shoulderpads and doodads that look rediculous

FAE.. MEH (id rather see brownies  a racethose nasty  lil cockroaches)ckdone right they could be ok ratonga maybe too... if theyd be more eq1 looking rather than the ones from eq2 personally id much rather see goblins as a race than ratonga there should be a   mostly evil small race

Inconsistant lore have a lore guy keeping track of stuff  dang nabit

stupid looking models like those weird ugly things on bb beach in eq2 they look like someone randomly put pieces together

If i see more storylines go no where im gunna be unhappy eq 1 is bad at this  theres several unfinished storrylines

i do like some instanceing loved ldons, but as others have said dont focus on them and use spareingly instanceing let you do whatever you want and not bother other people and if that means aeing the entire zone at once :()

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Originally posted by Waterlily

Who's "we"

I played EQ for 13 years and instancing delivered the best expansions bar none.

LDON, OOW (Proving grounds trials + pizza instances), DON, DOD.

They were THE best expansions.

Instances are GREAT if you do them right.

Stuff like the MPG trials were what I was thinking when I said there are certain things you can do in instances that you just can't do in an open world zone.  I'm not sure I agree so much about LDON or DON, I didn't like those expansions all that much, but some of the DOD missions were really fun.

I would also say most, if not all, raid content, should be instanced.  If there is large scale raiding and I choose to participate in it I really don't want to schedule my gaming time around when raid mobs are spawned and have to race other guilds for spawns.  I did it once, never again.
  • RohnRohn Member UncommonPosts: 3,730

While I don't have a burning hatred for the Fae, I completely agree with the majority of the article.  Huge world, no instances, nonlinear gameplay - yes please!

I'm really looking forward to this game.

Hell hath no fury like an MMORPG player scorned.

• Alber_gamerAlber_gamer Member UncommonPosts: 588

I can't subscribe the list. I want instances where instances are an improvement to the gameplay, and I don't understand half the other "demands", as they seem like rather insignificant points to even mention. No Fae, really?

I hope EQN doesn't look at this random list of childish "wants" when making their game.

My opinion is my own. I respect all other opinions and views equally, but keep in mind that my opinion will always be the best for me. That's why it's my opinion.

• AstraeisAstraeis Member UncommonPosts: 378
    Region locking should have been in the list at number one.

It takes one to know one.

• JonathJCenJonathJCen Member UncommonPosts: 202

I love the write up!

EQ was my first MMO when I was just a sprog around the age of 13. My imagination was filled with wonder from all the alts I could create and the different experience each one, along with each class brought.

I miss how impressive it was to see a Halfling in Halas or an Ogre that managed to get neutral faction with Freeport. There was great potential for your own character's story. It was a world where EVERYONE had a little respect for those RP initials in MMORPG, just by virtue of how Norrath used to feel and encourage such perspectives.

I enjoy story, but I completely agree about making a character "special." We must really be "special" if EVERYONE else is following the same or similar "chosen one" stories. If you're going to have chosen one stories, then make it mean something, special events where a handful of the player base get a chance to play a lead story role in an event, or a very rare quest that can spawn, but not written throughout the entire game. Sometimes it's fun just being the freelance tailor that craft armor for the local ranger/rogue clan that gets rewarded with some faction, some coin, and a feeling like you belong in the world.

On a note: if we wanted to go by history on the Fae, Shea, etc., some cultures believed they were the dead, or at least a part of the remaining construct of what made a person who they were that lingers behind. the Fae are a pale white people, often times not welcomed or a "good" thing for others to be dealing with, accept on the specific times of the year, such as in some clans around yule, when the fae are welcomed to eat with the living. But, I digressed for a response to "Research the lessor god Pan a bit, before you cast a "childish" light on Fae."

Here's to a seamless Norrath without mega quest hubs and Neo like storylines *cheers*