Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Black Gold Bussines Model

rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

Hey guys.

So i was looking at this Article from mmoculture and i couldnt find info on mmorpg so i thought i would share it with you guys.

Black Gold Online, the upcoming mmorpg from Snail Games (makers of Wushu) has a really strange business model. No subscription, No cash shop and no limitations. However,  the good quality loot dropped from monsters is locked behind a pay wall. A dice roll is in place and if you are lucky you could get a small discount on the unlock payment for the loot. Otherwise you can only wear basic and less valuable gear which is not locked behind real money pay wall. It might sound like non restrictive but its actually bad, being locked out of every quality loot you could get to improve your character means you will always suck unless you pay money. That is pay to win right there. Whoever pays for loot unlock will always beat you.

I personally think this is pure garbage. This "new" model that, according to Snail Games, is intended to reduce the number of "useless drops" from mobs, which is a big fat lie.......it is obviously aimed towards wallets.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/07/black-gold-online-interesting-business-model-announced/

Comments

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    bump.

• MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479

lol, that is awful, snail games sucks already

• DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    It would be beyond foolish to support this game. I hope it fails for such exploitation. 
  • GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Myrdynn

Snail games sucks balls and so does their Wushu.. One thing is for sure though, If you say something bad about Wushu, Bcbully will report you..

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Snail games sucks balls and so does their Wushu.. One thing is for sure though, If you say something bad about Wushu, Bcbully will report you..

i actually really like Wushu. But im not playing anymore beucase 1) they dont sell permanent bags (you rent them and they expire). THats crap, if i have to constantly keep paying to keep my inventory at max size i prefer to pay a subscription for a higher quality game. and 2) There is something PvE related that is completely missing from Wushu and i just cant tell what is it. Probably just more PvE content overall.
    Other than that i really like the game and i hope it gets better.

On the other hand, this new scam model for Black Gold is just beyond ridiculous.

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    Ya I stopped playing AOW because of the way they run their cash shop, not because its a bad game. Looks like I won't be playing this game either, players need to avoid games like Black Desert or we are encouraging worse and worse cash shop policies.
  • MyrdynnMyrdynn Member RarePosts: 2,479
    Originally posted by Tuchaka
    Ya I stopped playing AOW because of the way they run their cash shop, not because its a bad game. Looks like I won't be playing this game either, players need to avoid games like Black Desert or we are encouraging worse and worse cash shop policies.

this is Black Gold, dont confuse it with Black Desert

• TuchakaTuchaka Member UncommonPosts: 468
    ....which is exactly what i did.....dohhh
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    I think it's horrible, but that's just me. The market will decide whether it is viable or not.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• SmikisSmikis Member UncommonPosts: 1,045
    thought this was about black desert, phew, who gives a damn about black gold, no model would save this game from being trash
    Originally posted by Robokapp

f2p-b2p hybrid = this. no other known cases.

Guild Wars 2.

Other than World of Pirates, i don't know of any other MMO in existence that fits the B2P definition.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

Originally posted by Loktofeit

f2p-b2p hybrid = this. no other known cases.

Guild Wars 2.

Other than World of Pirates, i don't know of any other MMO in existence that fits the B2P definition.

exactly what about GW2 is not pure b2p ?

there's no hybrid there, that's just classic b2p.

The cash shop. GW2 is no different than any other item mall MMO other than the box fee up front. Something MMO gamers don't seem to realize is that "buy to play" didn't exist until MMO gamers made it up. They basically handed a gold mine to devs because not only did they give the f2p devs a way to position against subscription without getting bombarded by F2P hate, but it saved them the nightmare of having to justify their front loaded box fee.

When GW2 came out and MMO gamers handed them this "business model" on a silver platter, there was a collective celebration across the industry. Since then you have seen Richard Garriott, Mark Jacobs, and several others start using the term.

Guild Wars 2 is an item mall game with a front loaded box fee.

• jesteralwaysjesteralways Member RarePosts: 2,560
    Originally posted by rojo6934
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

i actually really like Wushu. But im not playing anymore beucase 1) they dont sell permanent bags (you rent them and they expire). THats crap, if i have to constantly keep paying to keep my inventory at max size i prefer to pay a subscription for a higher quality game. and 2) There is something PvE related that is completely missing from Wushu and i just cant tell what is it. Probably just more PvE content overall.
    Other than that i really like the game and i hope it gets better.

On the other hand, this new scam model for Black Gold is just beyond ridiculous.

So you don't mind paying 1$ in form of GOLD(AoW cash shop currency) to post a single message in trade or global chat? if an mmo locks communication behind paywall that is a big let down for me. and add expiring cash shop item with it. no matter how good the game is, that kind of payment model is horrible. 

Boobs are LIFE, Boobs are LOVE, Boobs are JUSTICE, Boobs are mankind's HOPES and DREAMS. People who complain about boobs have lost their humanity.

• BiskopBiskop Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Bizarre, but I'm not surprised at all. Snail Games have this habit of releasing good games that they ruin by stupid business models. AoW could have been a great game if it wasn't for Snail's inability to handle and promote the gem they had on their hands.

I haven't followed Black Gold so I can't comment on its quality but it looks decent enough. Too bad it will flop hard with this ridiculous payment model.
  • LungingWolfLungingWolf Member Posts: 73

Hey guys.

So i was looking at this Article from mmoculture and i couldnt find info on mmorpg so i thought i would share it with you guys.

Black Gold Online, the upcoming mmorpg from Snail Games (makers of Wushu) has a really strange business model. No subscription, No cash shop and no limitations. However,  the good quality loot dropped from monsters is locked behind a pay wall. A dice roll is in place and if you are lucky you could get a small discount on the unlock payment for the loot. Otherwise you can only wear basic and less valuable gear which is not locked behind real money pay wall. It might sound like non restrictive but its actually bad, being locked out of every quality loot you could get to improve your character means you will always suck unless you pay money. That is pay to win right there. Whoever pays for loot unlock will always beat you.

I personally think this is pure garbage. This "new" model that, according to Snail Games, is intended to reduce the number of "useless drops" from mobs, which is a big fat lie.......it is obviously aimed towards wallets.

What are your thoughts?

http://www.mmoculture.com/2013/07/black-gold-online-interesting-business-model-announced/

image I agree. I was interested in Black Gold Online. That is, until I started looking into their business model. Then, without hesitation, I stopped researching it and moved on.

Waiting for: Citadel of Sorcery. Along the way, The Elder Scrolls Online (when it is F2P).

Keeping an eye on: www.play2crush.com (whatever is going on here).

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    That business model works for me.  You don't have to play the game if you don't like it.  These games cost tens of millions to create. I have no problem with the Dev's wanting to make a profit off of their work.  It remains to be seen how the game will play. Until we know that, I'm going to reserve judgement.
    "If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • LeirosLeiros Member UncommonPosts: 281
    Sounds more like "Pay to Win" to me... which really kind of ruins games IMO.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Here is a description of their payment model from the game site itself: http://bg.snailgame.com/news/view/23

It sounds like a really weird system. Not too sure what to think of it. Obviously theres the bad side of having to pay to get your good loot, but at the same time depending on what the costs are, how important gear is, how often you need to upgrade, what the differences are between basic and rare stuff, etc it may not be such a bad thing. Are we talking cents here per file? A few dollars? How often will the average player need to even use the system?

TBH it doesnt sound all that different to me over systems where you generally only get basic gear, but then can buy upgraders from a cash shop. The difference being that in this case youre paying for the item which is already rare, rather than paying to upgrade a basic to a rare. I agree both systems do sound like P2W (but can't say for sure without seeing all of the details and how much of a power gain there is in game), but this may not actually be all that different than already existing systems, just a different implementation.

I plan on trying out the beta starting in a week, so will have a chance to see just what sort of impact this system has when playing free vs having to buy save files. Until then, I cant really say just how bad such a system is. It's something different, and different tends to scare people and cause knee jerk reactions before actually learning how things truly work.

• VinmoVinmo Member Posts: 1

Taken from their info page:

"There will be two separate buttons: you can buy the save directly, or select “try your luck” to have a chance at reducing the credits required or even obtain loots without any cost! This is a fun little option to maximize player benefits."

1. Why should anyone ever buy the loot directly if you have a chance to get it for free or at a reduced price? Might there be a max of how often you can use the "try your luck" button?

2. Sounds really really wierd. And unless the chance for free loot is at  about 10% the game will be frustrating as hell. Even 10% would be annoying. Find the item you want 10 times and you get it once, with luck.

• KilrainKilrain Member RarePosts: 1,185

Whoever pays for loot unlock will always beat you.

HAH people who jump to conclusions like this are fucking hilarious. I'll reserve judgement for later and if I get my ass kicked by every person who pays for loot (assuming I pvp) then it's p2w, if not then it isn't.

Though I will say this type of model with the added subscription with no limitation sounds pretty good to me .. hmm more thinking required.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

It all depends on whether you can trade items with other players. In that case, it is not much different from Age of Wushu.

I think it's awesome.

• MuppetierMuppetier Member UncommonPosts: 279

I have no problem with games giving an advantage to those you are prepared to pay.

The problem with this pay for loot system is that the more you pay the more advantage you get. At that point P2W fails.

• farfanugonfarfanugon Member Posts: 419

Myself , I Love This Business Model ,

Im Paying To Support A Game , There Is No Way In Hell A Free Loader Should Ever Have Better Gear Than Me ,

I Have No Problem With The Free Loaders Being Able To Play.. But They Should Never Have A Chance To Be A Top Player .

The Carrot Should Be Dangled In Front Of The Free Loaders Faces Until They Just Cant Take It Any More ,And Support The Game That Brings Them Hours Of Entertainment For Weeks On End

• xardas80xardas80 Member CommonPosts: 1

Usually those who put money into the game have better gear than those who do not put money in the game, or their  faster than others... idk, 

Now do not be rude and do not discriminate against those who do not put money in game.

• obocoboc Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Who is sitting around thinking this crap up ? I must need some stronger meds to understand this system.