Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] General: MMO’s New Buzzwords: Dynamic Events

13»

Comments

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Dynamic events failed so hard in Guild Wars 2.  They will continue to fail in EQN. The problem with events is that once you complete them a few times players move on and look for other things to do. It leaves your world almost empty just like GW2.
  • daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by ThomasN7
    Dynamic events failed so hard in Guild Wars 2.  They will continue to fail in EQN. The problem with events is that once you complete them a few times players move on and look for other things to do. It leaves your world almost empty just like GW2.

As much as I have enjoyed for the first 3 months daily play of Gw2, now that feeling already wears off. I'm still fresh and willing to play wow after all this years and same goes for swtor, playing since day 1 with short interruptions. I agree full with your post you. Besides, that "dynamic" are not at all so much dynamic.

So far for me nothing in gaming beats classic quest hubs and feeling of progress.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by ThomasN7

As much as I have enjoyed for the first 3 months daily play of Gw2, now that feeling already wears off. I'm still fresh and willing to play wow after all this years and same goes for swtor, playing since day 1 with short interruptions. I agree full with your post you. Besides, that "dynamic" are not at all so much dynamic.

So far for me nothing in gaming beats classic quest hubs and feeling of progress.

Nothing wrong with quests and quest hubs. I think developers are just trying to reinvent the mmo which is a recipe for disaster.

• SkybruinSkybruin Member Posts: 1

I've seen other posts about this but Dynamic events are not New to the industry.

like several other games in the past, Matrix Online Also had a Dynamic Events system(Live Events) and a sandbox environment to work in. They had Live events run by Devs to promote story based progression. 

One thing that impeded this type of event early on  is Overcrowding. If you had just one live event on a server A large portion of the Population of the server or faction tried to be involved with it at once, which leads to server crashes and lag issues.  

Later the game evolved into more Player started Dynamic content that was released over time. This worked well in one aspect as MxO had a mission based leveling system that was Somewhat Dynamic ( your mission areas somewhat randomly Spawned within certain level based zones)  also this was used for the Emerging dynamic content later on as the game aged and was under maintained by ever shrinking MxO Devs at SOE. 

That game too had it's share of repetative Game play. that's one reason why it's not still around.

For a truly dynamic experience you need to have frequent, numerously Live interaction with the players and the tools to help those events that don't seem repetative.   When those are not available you need A wide variety of standard MMO Theme park fare and/or PvP to Keep people around waiting for the next Event to fall.

• BelegStrongbowBelegStrongbow Member UncommonPosts: 296

Not sure if you check or read these comments on old posts Mark,  But I just want to say your decision to pull your PvP system in Firefall was a highly respectable and bold move.  I really appreciate seeing huge decisions and calls like that because you just do not see them these days in the industry.  I can imagine it was a very difficult decision when so much development and effort went into it.  I even interviewed with you for a esports coordinator job at CES'12 and can imagine how disappointed the team you had there trying to bring esports firefall to life must be.

While the PvP system in firefall was very good quality for todays standards.  I feel it fit the mold of pvp systems we see other games try to tack on to PvE worlds without really fitting the story or Lore.  I have confidence you and your team can really make something revolutionary that will impress the industry.  

Cheers,

-T